Like many of you, I'm really excited about Halo Wars 2, given that I'm a huge fan of strategy and tactics games and the idea of controlling whole squads of soldiers rather than just one at a time. Unfortunately, with no confirmed release date and rumours placing it at least six months away, I'm not going to be getting my fix any time soon. However, in a similar vein, I'm an enormous fan of the X-Com franchise, and have been playing its newest instalment religiously for the past few months: of particular note here is that X-Com 2 is the first title to feature integration with the Steam Workshop, where among others things, there are a large number of Halo-themed customisation mods to be found.
This brought me to a great realisation: even though Halo Wars 2 is still a very long way away, that doesn't mean we can't enjoy some Halo-themed tactical alien blasting!
The premise for this series is pretty simple: I'm going to be doing a playthrough of X-Com 2, and I want to do it with your Spartans. Every few days, I'll record another part, and upload it to our forum YouTube channel, so make sure to check there frequently to see how things are progressing. We'll also be posting updates to our Twitter and News pages, as well as the Shoutbox, so whichever of our communications outlets you prefer, there'll be a way of staying informed.
Signing up is incredibly simple, as all you need to do is provide the following information:
- Your Spartan-III's first name, gender, company (Alpha, Beta, Gamma), number, and nickname (10 character limit!)
- Your Spartan-III's base class, specialisation (if you'd rather I didn't mix and match) and preferred weapons - see the spoiler below for a list of options
- Your Spartan-III's armour, as it appears in Reach - yes, you can have helmet attachments, different shoulders, gauntlets and utility items!
- Your Spartan-III's face, if you don't want to wear a helmet: includes stuff like scars, facial hair, eye colour, hair colour and style
- Your armour's colour and pattern (e.g. default, striped, tigerskin) and your visor colour (default, gold, silver, red, blue, brown, orange, purple)
- Your weapon's name, colour, and pattern (optional, and with the same options as the armour)
- A short backstory for your character (preferably about 140 characters
And I'll do the rest!
If everything goes smoothly and we get enough sign-ups, I'm hoping to start recording sometime next week. If you're reading this after the series has started - yes, you can still sign up! Just fill out the information above and I'll do my best to get you into the squad, though do note that the longer you delay before signing up, the higher the chances of your character being killed off as the enemies don't make allowances for lower-ranked soldiers.
In terms of who I'll be using in the squad from week to week: while I'm going to ask all the staff to sign up, priority will be given to forum members over them, with staff only used to fill gaps in cases where we don't get a lot of sign-ups or there aren't enough uninjured characters to go on a mission.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them below, and I'll do my best to answer them! And if you need a quick example of how to fill out the sign-up information, please open the spoiler below:
See you on the battlefield, Spartans!