Xbox 720 the 'inside' exclusive - Apparently due for release late 2013

Lazmarr

"Microsoft's next console is already with developers. According to sources, this is what is inside the beast -

screenshot_284794_thumb_wide620.jpg

"Durango" is the code name for the next Xbox, and it's very real. Like PS4 it's aiming for a November 2013 release, we're told, and it's no secret that developers have it already. As we reported last month, devkits went out in March.

As suspected, the latest word from our sources is that Durango's "16 CPU cores" are actually logical cores, which would likely mean eight physical cores running two threads each. This brings its processing power into line with modern high-end PC specs, which might even have eclipsed it come Christmas next year.

Now consider that November of last year saw Advanced Micro Devices' "Bulldozer" technology deployed in its "Interlagos" series Opteron processors, which with their eight dual-core modules and four memory units fall right into line with this rumoured Durango spec. The current pre-beta of Microsoft's Windows 8, furthermore, has diagnostic support for up to 640 logical cores.

What a four or eight-core CPU with multithreading means for a games console is a much more efficient handling of variously demanding tasks, Kinect support, background downloading, personal video recording functionality, social connectivity and high-end gaming.

Complementing AMD's latest CPU is a member of its current top-flight GPU family, the Radeon HD 7000.

Rumours persist that Durango will use ubiquitous broadband across its key markets to justify on-board measures against preowned sales. How this might work is unclear, but the anticipated model is one of games being 'bound' to a specific user or console and restricted if used elsewhere. A familiar online pass system could then restore the games, if bought secondhand, and have the ability to play on that console. GameStop CEO Paul Raines was sceptical, though, saying to Kotaku that "the model simply hasn't been proven to work".

Perhaps the biggest challenge facing Microsoft's next gen is itself. Xbox Live is a notoriously hostile portal for developers, massively favouring the big publishers who are now less and less popular thanks to Steam, the App Store, and (though the fate of this option is uncertain) crowd-funding. While it's true that strict policing and QA have kept quality levels on XBLA high, the burial of its Indie Games channel within the 360 dashboard deprives those developers of their marketing lifeblood: visibility. As such, they and their games have been lost to other platforms.

At the other end of the market, Dust 514 maker CCP had a very blunt reason for going PlayStation exclusive: "Sony allows us to use our systems," said CTO Halldor Fannar to Eurogamer. "Microsoft has Xbox Live. They're very strict on that. There's a lot of issues we run into. It may be a basic thing people don't realise, but with Dust and EVE on Sony's network, we can allow them to chat. Voice chat, text chat, that's all one world."

With the emergence of free-to-play requiring a speedier and cheaper interface between developers and their online games - just to patch an XBLA game costs a publisher $40k, says Double Fine's Tim Schafer - Microsoft needs to lighten up, basically, on both the identity and the terms of its service. If it doesn't, then people may abandon the next Xbox regardless of what's inside it."

So after reading above, what do you think, is this really what maybe inside the Xbox 720 or is this another rumor? Lets here your opinions.

Sources:

Computer and Video games

• Like 6

Sounds sick. But they're right. XBL is ridiculous. PSN is free, so why not make XBL free? I hope its free on the 720.

*sigh* Guess this means I'm going to have to start saving up again. I still haven't paid off my loans from getting the Slim, and I'm still saving for all the Halo 4 goodies I'm going to get.

I think this is real, i've been seeing it in gaming magazines about being 6X powerful then before. I would most likely be getting it :D but I hope Halo 4 would be able to play XBL on the xbox 720 or I would have to go back constantly to the xbox 360

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds sick. But they're right. XBL is ridiculous. PSN is free, so why not make XBL free? I hope its free on the 720.

*sigh* Guess this means I'm going to have to start saving up again. I still haven't paid off my loans from getting the Slim, and I'm still saving for all the Halo 4 goodies I'm going to get.

Because you pay for what you get, we pay a good price for the security on XBL, but I do agree, it could be priced a little cheaper or free. However saying that, if you buy a family pack XBL (costs £60) you get Gold on four accounts. :)

Probably a Hoax... wait... -rereads OP- But if it isn't we still have to make it through 2012... unfortunate right? NAh we'll make it. I hope they give us hard information directly from Microsoft. (in the sense of an interview)

Sorry if they did and I missed a piece or something.

• Like 1

Oh, forgot to mention in previous comment that from what I have heard from the rumor mill, these specs seem to be right with them. The xbox is supposed to be 8 cores (16 virtual but that doesn't mean much to you unless you understand PC's and I am not getting into that discussion here) and a Radeon hd 7870. If this is true then the next Xbox will be a little better than my current PC in terms of CPU power, I am getting a 7850 and already have a Quad Core. My current PC will be good until at least 2020 for gaming, that means that if these are legit specs for the next Xbox then we could keep playing games on it for another 10 years, easily.

• Like 1

They might go with AMD? well it doesn't matter which one they go with unless they go down ARM,then that would be a blast.Knowing manufacturing systems it would be bare minimum specs touted as cutting edge raw power.4gig ram as opposed to what you get now which is 8 standard,Maybe a 250 sata 2 2.5 hdd (I'll be surprised if they supply one that's sata 3) or they might blow us away with 40gig ssd sata 2 internal,notice how i don't say "Force 3 corsairs" or anything that's the latest tech available.

Really it's the g-chip in the box that counts and if they use their heads they should make it interchangeable,swap-out,like our pc's.

Remember, the cheapest available and a rigid plan for the next ten years,which isn't going to work,not at the speed things are developing these days.

Xbox will be like a Gaming Computer? -epicness of Awesome has arrived-

No DOUBT, it will be expensive. Like 1500?

Aparrently it has been said that it will be cheaper than the current XBOX 360. IMO it would be around £275-£360.

They might go with AMD? well it doesn't matter which one they go with unless they go down ARM,then that would be a blast.Knowing manufacturing systems it would be bare minimum specs touted as cutting edge raw power.4gig ram as opposed to what you get now which is 8 standard,Maybe a 250 sata 2 2.5 hdd (I'll be surprised if they supply one that's sata 3) or they might blow us away with 40gig ssd sata 2 internal,notice how i don't say "Force 3 corsairs" or anything that's the latest tech available.

Really it's the g-chip in the box that counts and if they use their heads they should make it interchangeable,swap-out,like our pc's.

Remember, the cheapest available and a rigid plan for the next ten years,which isn't going to work,not at the speed things are developing these days.

I don't think it would be a 250 Gb HDD, as they are already supplying the current models with 320 Gb HDD's, I think it would be 750 Gb - 1 Tb in the '720'.

I think 4 Gb RAM is plenty, 8 Gb is for those who like to render videos and the likes.

I say its legit, think about it, realase date christmas 2013. And I hope they make xbox live free, so my family can enjoy it with me. Not like now, they dont have money to pay xbox live so they cant enjoy it concluding in them not liking me playing it alot.

LIKE IF U AGREE.

• Like 3

Aparrently it has been said that it will be cheaper than the current XBOX 360. IMO it would be around £275-£360.

I don't think it would be a 250 Gb HDD, as they are already supplying the current models with 320 Gb HDD's, I think it would be 750 Gb - 1 Tb in the '720'.

I think 4 Gb RAM is plenty, 8 Gb is for those who like to render videos and the likes.

750 hdd sounds about right but a opteron chip? i don't think so,more like a bulldozer,it would be better if they went with the i5's and put a 3gig radeon or nvidia which is more important as the years go by that, 3 gig will definitely boost the game content,look at mass effect,takes too long between load outs that you end up almost falling off to sleep.8 gig as the game devs can utilize it as well

3 gig is a pipe dream probably just 1 gig and a cheap miniscule fan and a underpowered psu powerpack,the games will burn the system out giving you the red eye.

unless they do put in a 40 gig ssd to handle the outloads,they're cheap these days.

If it does come out next year then it's in major production now which means the hardware is locked from atleast two months ago?

The only thing I don't want about the new consoles is me losing all of my stuff. I have spent hundreds of dollars on the XBL marketplace buying Banjo-Kazooie, Ninja Gaiden Black, ect. Does this mean with the next gen all of my arcade games and Xbox originals disappear and there was no point in buying them? Will we be able to play 360 games online while in party chat and such? These little things slightly scare me because of all of the accessories, arcade games, ect. I sort of don't want to leave the Xbox, although I'm not doubting how awesome this next one is going to be. I should probably start selling all of my stuff for the 360 before the November of 2013.