Angst

xzamplez

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=27317335&player=The%20Xzample

Angst is a room based asym designed for 1v1, 2v2, and small FFA.

Weapons: Custom Powerup, Active Camouflage, Grenade Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Plasma Grenade x2, Frag Grenade x4

Overview of Angst:

1v1 on Angst:

Halo Reach Forges: 1v1 on Angst - YouTube

Custom Room:

reach_27097410_Medium.jpg

Camo Room:

reach_27097409_Medium.jpg

Grenade Launcher Room:

reach_27097412_Medium.jpg

Grenade Launcher Room from another angle:

reach_27126159_Medium.jpg

Teleporter Hallway:

reach_27097411_Medium.jpg

UPDATE:

Custom Room:

reach_27126447_Medium.jpg

Rock Room:

reach_27126459_Medium.jpg

As promised, I do have feedback!

First off, I really like the aesthetic: it's a far cry from the average map, with a uniform sea of grey. There's obviously been a lot of thought put into giving every area that bit of detail, and as well as making the map look darn good it also really helps with staying oriented and getting around easily: for such a small map I was stunned by how much of the budget had been used, and that's a compliment!

The actual layout is also really nice, it keeps things simple and yet there are a lot of ways to get around, which would prevent maps turning into stalemates and campfests. The low power weapon count is also a great choice in that respect. I also love the little details, like the rock walls and the little platform opposite the Sniper Rifle spawn in that room, and the open roof in the Custom Powerup room. It feels - and indeed, plays - a lot like Chill Out, one of my all-time favourite maps from Halo: CE.

There are a few things I definitely think could be improved, though. While it's a great idea to restrict power weaponry, the 60s respawn timer on the Sniper Rifle still feels a little too generous, and could probably benefit from being lengthened: a good sniper will barely have run out of bullets in one minute, then they can just head back and grab more. I'd say maybe 120-140s would be a good time for this map size.

I'd also swap the Grenade Launcher so it spawns in the area just in front of the teleport receiver node - as is, it's much riskier to get than the Sniper Rifle and indeed a lot harder to find, and weapons should always be easy to find regardless of how much a map has been played.

On a similar topic, there also need to be a few more weapons in place - a Plasma Pistol, a Needler, a DMR, whatever, just something to add a little variety to the weapon sandbox. There don't need to be many - just two or three altogether would be about right - but there does need to be something for once ammunition starts running low and to give the player who doesn't like their spawning weapons a few more options.

I'd also suggest a second Health Pack somewhere - the alcove in the Sniper Rifle spawn room that I mentioned previously isn't currently in use, and it would give players an incentive to make use of that ledge, as well as balancing up the map a little.

While the Custom Powerup is accessible through a fairly easy jump from the upper deck of the stairs leading to the teleport receiver node, the Active Camouflage cannot be accessed save through either a grenade jump or use of the Jetpack - this really needs to be changed to make it accessible to all players, even if you'd prefer to make players detour to a jump to get it rather than just climb up the back. On a similar note, it may be better to trade out the Custom Powerup for an Overshield, as a small speed increase isn't worth very much against Active Camouflage and most people don't bother to set their up because they don't expect to see it. I do like the spawn delay though, that would definitely work in the case of an Overshield.

As a last note, although I really the way you tried to disguise the nature of the gravity lift in the Health Pack room, I think it's probably better that you raise it slightly to make it more obvious, as it would make the map that little bit more intuitive to newer players.

Regardless of all that, Angst is a really nice map that wouldn't have felt out of place on Combat Evolved and it's definitely one I'll be hanging on to!

As promised, I do have feedback!

First off, I really like the aesthetic: it's a far cry from the average map, with a uniform sea of grey. There's obviously been a lot of thought put into giving every area that bit of detail, and as well as making the map look darn good it also really helps with staying oriented and getting around easily: for such a small map I was stunned by how much of the budget had been used, and that's a compliment!

The actual layout is also really nice, it keeps things simple and yet there are a lot of ways to get around, which would prevent maps turning into stalemates and campfests. The low power weapon count is also a great choice in that respect. I also love the little details, like the rock walls and the little platform opposite the Sniper Rifle spawn in that room, and the open roof in the Custom Powerup room. It feels - and indeed, plays - a lot like Chill Out, one of my all-time favourite maps from Halo: CE.

There are a few things I definitely think could be improved, though. While it's a great idea to restrict power weaponry, the 60s respawn timer on the Sniper Rifle still feels a little too generous, and could probably benefit from being lengthened: a good sniper will barely have run out of bullets in one minute, then they can just head back and grab more. I'd say maybe 120-140s would be a good time for this map size.

I'd also swap the Grenade Launcher so it spawns in the area just in front of the teleport receiver node - as is, it's much riskier to get than the Sniper Rifle and indeed a lot harder to find, and weapons should always be easy to find regardless of how much a map has been played.

On a similar topic, there also need to be a few more weapons in place - a Plasma Pistol, a Needler, a DMR, whatever, just something to add a little variety to the weapon sandbox. There don't need to be many - just two or three altogether would be about right - but there does need to be something for once ammunition starts running low and to give the player who doesn't like their spawning weapons a few more options.

I'd also suggest a second Health Pack somewhere - the alcove in the Sniper Rifle spawn room that I mentioned previously isn't currently in use, and it would give players an incentive to make use of that ledge, as well as balancing up the map a little.

While the Custom Powerup is accessible through a fairly easy jump from the upper deck of the stairs leading to the teleport receiver node, the Active Camouflage cannot be accessed save through either a grenade jump or use of the Jetpack - this really needs to be changed to make it accessible to all players, even if you'd prefer to make players detour to a jump to get it rather than just climb up the back. On a similar note, it may be better to trade out the Custom Powerup for an Overshield, as a small speed increase isn't worth very much against Active Camouflage and most people don't bother to set their up because they don't expect to see it. I do like the spawn delay though, that would definitely work in the case of an Overshield.

As a last note, although I really the way you tried to disguise the nature of the gravity lift in the Health Pack room, I think it's probably better that you raise it slightly to make it more obvious, as it would make the map that little bit more intuitive to newer players.

Regardless of all that, Angst is a really nice map that wouldn't have felt out of place on Combat Evolved and it's definitely one I'll be hanging on to!

I'm sorry, man. The map is meant to be played with no bloom DMR and 120% speed. I should have mentioned that. It may change you opinions of some of the issues you stated above.

It is more inspired by Quake map design, but if you were to compare it to a map from the Halo franchise, it would be Chill Out.

My purpose for low ammo quick spawn weapon setup, is to encourage movement from the power position of the map. You'd be surprised how much the map slows down with such a small tweak.

Grenade Launcher is placed to provide risk vs. reward. If you catch someone moving from the power position to grab the GL, you are almost guaranteed the kill. I can't move it to the receiver teleporter, because people would grab it and wait, which is what I am trying to avoid. I also disagree that a weapon needs to be easily visible. It is a matter of map knowledge.

I can understand you wanting more weapons if you had to run around the map with an AR the whole time, lol. Sorry, again.

I usually place health packs in weak points of the map, otherwise they tend to be abused.

The jump to Camo and Custom are easily done with 120% speed.

I agree, the lift is odd. But if I raise it, then it pushes players too hard. I'll see what I can do.

I really appreciate the feedback. You would be a good addition to Forgehub if you aren't already a member.

• Like 1

I still think one or two other weapons would make things more interesting, but of course the final decision is yours. As is it's still a darn good map, if maybe one that'll work best if players have already explored it a few times. And I did immediately start wondering what was up at the top of the last ledge as soon as I walked into the Grenade Launcher room, which suggests most people would explore it.

I maintain that it's a good map, anyway. Something different from the way I usually play, but that's not a bad thing! As for Forgehub, I think I actually have an account somewhere, but I can't remember the last time I used it.

I still think one or two other weapons would make things more interesting, but of course the final decision is yours. As is it's still a darn good map, if maybe one that'll work best if players have already explored it a few times. And I did immediately start wondering what was up at the top of the last ledge as soon as I walked into the Grenade Launcher room, which suggests most people would explore it.

I maintain that it's a good map, anyway. Something different from the way I usually play, but that's not a bad thing! As for Forgehub, I think I actually have an account somewhere, but I can't remember the last time I used it.

If you would like, we can go over the map on XbL and I would be willing to give you feedback on any of your current projects or finished maps. GT: The Xzample

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The map really does look excellent. I don't comment on peoples maps that much, but it seems to be well forged, has some good points offensively and defensively and seems to be a well organised and evenly placed map. You obviously have some good forging experience as has been demonstrated here.

I look forward to seeing more maps off of you in the future.