Reasoning behind 343's decision for no beta?

Baby Boo

Like Luke said, 343 thought about a beta, but instead went against it because of the fact they would have to put work into a beta, work they can't afford to spare. While I was a little disappointed they weren't going to have a public one, I understand why they went against it.

Putting out a Beta is not difficult or time consuming at all, at least on 343i's end. Basically all they have to do is edit the mainmenu.map file to only include 2 or 3 maps for multiplayer and maybe one from campaign. Then just up those certain files for download, and turn on the server. Really it would only take a team of 2 people 2 or 4 days to prepare and deliver the beta.

Like Frank had said in the VidOC, they want to push the game and process to a perfect state without having any backend stuff to deal with. In reality, collecting the beta data would prove more usefull than a room full of playtesters whom may or may not game or trick things in-game the way the vast majority or the community does. There are only certain flaws that the community as a whole canf ind and bring to light.

I hate to do it, but I'm calling 343 out on this one. In my eyes from dev timeline perspective, it's shear laziness and quite honestly, I see them not putting out a Beta, as a way to protect themselves and possible poor sales. Think about it. Say we got a Beta, and absolutely hated it....noone would be likely to buy it seeing as how they would have limited time to fix it and delaying it would not be an option. By not releasing a Beat, you are at the mercy of 343 to see anything regarding game-play inside MM and campaign, and those glimpses will be carefully edited and shown the way they want them to. This forces many players to see only what they want them to see, and trust the dev and leave it a mystery....possibly making hundreds of thousands more players to pre-order and want it all that much more.

Laziness and fear.....thats all I am sensing here.

• Like 1

A little harsh...maybe. Personally I just believe that as gamers, we should be entitled to hold the developers accountable for their product. I would much rather have a beta, than 3-4 product updates down the road just to address flaws and glitches they could have fixed from the beginning. I understand their are certain games that never use a beta, but those titles usually prove almost impossible to glitch or exploit by any means primarily due to the formats and engine specific.restrictions. Lets be honest....Halo has a stellar track record for being able to be modded and exploited...more so than any other title.

They decided to not have a Beta so they can keep working on the game without uses and wasting time pushing out updates for it and ect. Its easier for them to test it themselves so they can automatically right down the bug/glitch and fix it. Also so they can keep polishing the game up.

You can see that 343i is working 24/7 to make this game perfect. Their goal is to make the best halo game of all time...and feel the time used to set up a public beta would take away the crucial days to make this game the best it can possibly be. They are not being lazy, they are sparring time to work harder...

:( Sad as your point makes me, it is a very valid one, Twin. They could be terrified of the reception of a beta if they're using something in the game that they know will elicit some major community rage.

On the contrary...

One of the things they're implementing could be something so new, so innovative and awesome that they don't want to risk leaking it to their competitors in the industry by releasing a Beta. After all, they've been working on the game for how many years now? Going on three? The last thing I'd want, if I was them, was to see my main competition snapping up my idea, turning it around to work for their main title, and releasing their next game before or at the same time as mine. And we all know that if any game could do that, it's CoD.

So perhaps they are afraid, but not of what we think.

That's me trying to be hopeful. ^_^

• Like 1