Helmet visor takes damage and ability to customize face.

SamF1sh

Do you like this idea?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, but it would be annoying.

This is mainly an idea for multiplayer:

What if once your'e shields were down and someone shot your face a bullet hole appeared on your visor and your HUD appeared cracked with a hole were you were shot? And you could put your helmet off by pressing back So you can see without a big crack on the screen. But without your helmet, disadvantages like a head shot with any weapon is an insta-kill and you can't see a Target reticule or any information at all like your motion tracker or your sheilds and how much ammo you have. you also are able to change your face so people can see your face when you remove your cracked helmet. What do you think?

edit: added poll.

I can see some slight realism problems with this such as if a bullet went through your face mask it would kill you. That aside I can see how this could get really annoying, have your vision seriously impaired so much so that it would make it almost imposible to see people in certain areas, or take your helmat off and die in one hit from any kid with an AR. It's a good idea, it would just need to be implemented better.

I did like the final campaign level a lot because of that happening to your visor. Made you "feel" the pain of death that was certain to come. Not sure of how hard it would be to implement, but it would give the "damaged" player limited vision and even help to diminish the snipers ability.I like this. You should consider adding a public poll for this.

I think that is a pretty good idea but there are some problems with it, because it will get annoying. Maybe if you take off the helmet, you have no more shields on the head area. That way, he won't die in one shot and can have shields on the body.. Other than that, it is a pretty decent idea. Maybe it could apply for only special heavy weapons when your shields are down. When you get shot in the face without shields, a crack appears of a bullet hole and your character dies. Good idea, but needs better implications. (like headhunter said)

i'd enjoy running around with no helmet, as long as i still had shields, it would makt the game a little more entertaining, especialy if the helmet could be used as a weapon to, say, throw.

i played a game that you have a spartan like armour but no helmet, heres a pic:full20080520172050.jpg

it would also be brill if you could add facial fectures like scars, hair colour and type (like blue flame like hair or a brown afro =P)

• Like 1

Sorry but I changed my mind about this whole thing. I would love the fact that your armor takes damage. I would love to see a huge crack in your visor when you get killed by a headshot but then again you can have dents from bullets and burns from plasma on your armor very visible. The problem is that the whole visor and removing your helmet thing wouldn't work in the game. It can't work and it's tradition never to see the face of Master Cheif, even though you clarified it's for multiplayer. Would it make sense to be able to do it on multiplayer but not campagin?

• Like 1

I can see some slight realism problems with this such as if a bullet went through your face mask it would kill you. That aside I can see how this could get really annoying, have your vision seriously impaired so much so that it would make it almost imposible to see people in certain areas, or take your helmat off and die in one hit from any kid with an AR. It's a good idea, it would just need to be implemented better.

I can agree with this. Only, maybe other players could also take off your mask. Or if it's a headshot it will crack your visor.

I can agree with this. Only, maybe other players could also take off your mask. Or if it's a headshot it will crack your visor.

This would be a pretty sick assination animation:

1. assassin takes off enemies helmet,
  2. punches (right/left hook, uppercut?) the enemy in the face,
  3. the enemie crawls back,
  4. assassin THROWS the combat knife at the enemies head at the same time as walking towards him,
  5. the enemy dies,
  6. the assassin pulls the kinfe from the head of trhe dead player.

this would also put into perspective that a spartan knows he is very vunerable without a helmet....and it would also make a badass screenshot. =P

This would be a pretty sick assination animation:

1. assassin takes off enemies helmet,
  2. punches (right/left hook, uppercut?) the enemy in the face,
  3. the enemie crawls back,
  4. assassin THROWS the combat knife at the enemies head at the same time as walking towards him,
  5. the enemy dies,
  6. the assassin pulls the kinfe from the head of trhe dead player.

this would also put into perspective that a spartan knows he is very vunerable without a helmet....and it would also make a badass screenshot. =P

I can't be the only one who would find that to be too gory for a game of Halo's caliber. I agree with the idea of a special assassination, but not one that removes the helmet to kill so terribly. Maybe something where armor damage is something that a player acquires after regaining their shield after taking damage without it? So if you take a ton of damage and lose your shield for the first time after spawning, your armour shows the magnitude of damage taken without a shield, but nothing affects your abilities. If you survive a second shield-loss and subsequent body damage, static ripples across your shield, armor, and visor, but again, no impairment. Surviving a third assault gives your armour a charred, torn, malfunctioning appearance with pieces actually missing and a few thin, iffy cracks in your visor? If you can survive a 4th bodily attack, then your visor actually gets some serious cracks. To remedy the complaints of obstructing vision, simply grab a med-pack or something equivalent. Instant armor buffer.

This way, you'll be able to tell who's actually going out to fight, who's good at surviving battles, and who hides and snipes and camps. It would also be great for machinimas, it would give the 'actors' real substance, give drama and impact to the situation, and other visual entertainment. Oh, and insta-kill headshots from the front would result in open cracks in the body's visor.

Having helmet damage could be a good idea, however over a period of time I believe it would get old and people would find it annoying.

I played nearly 3.5k games in Halo 3... It would not have been fun to get a cracked helmet every time I took a lot of damage. Most BR battles left you with no shields and nearly dead. So after each battle, do you really want a cracked helmet after your shields recharge?

Having helmet damage could be a good idea, however over a period of time I believe it would get old and people would find it annoying.

I played nearly 3.5k games in Halo 3... It would not have been fun to get a cracked helmet every time I took a lot of damage. Most BR battles left you with no shields and nearly dead. So after each battle, do you really want a cracked helmet after your shields recharge?

I am seeing your point about the annoyance factor when you mentioned the number of games played. I have nearly 10,000 in Halo 3 alone just on this account and I have to say I agree with Mayhem unless the repair comes with a shield recharge.

I am seeing your point about the annoyance factor when you mentioned the number of games played. I have nearly 10,000 in Halo 3 alone just on this account and I have to say I agree with Mayhem unless the repair comes with a shield recharge.

I checked how many games I played in Halo 3 when I was online earlier, it was around 8,000-10,000... not the 3.5k like I formerly thought.

What is the point then of getting a crack in your helmet if shield recharge just fixes it?

I personally do not like the idea of degrading visibility. I already have trouble seeing on certain maps because of shading and map color. This would deter me from buying the game and im a HUGE fan of halo multiplayer. I dont want to sound rude but some of the ideas I have heard over the past couple of months are way too far out there for halo 4. This isnt some completely new game where we just add substantial changes like this. This is a halo game; not a cod,bf3 and crysis hybrid game. I feel like reach went so far off the halo formula now some people are confused about what halo is. Im just ranting here so ill get back to the point. The obvious reason I disagree is the visibility factor but this would slow down gameplay and get really annoying fast. I also dont want to see master chief's face until halo is all over. Maybe something like this in the halo 6 campaign but not MM.

I personally do not like the idea of degrading visibility. I already have trouble seeing on certain maps because of shading and map color. This would deter me from buying the game and im a HUGE fan of halo multiplayer. I dont want to sound rude but some of the ideas I have heard over the past couple of months are way too far out there for halo 4. This isnt some completely new game where we just add substantial changes like this. This is a halo game; not a cod,bf3 and crysis hybrid game. I feel like reach went so far off the halo formula now some people are confused about what halo is. Im just ranting here so ill get back to the point. The obvious reason I disagree is the visibility factor but this would slow down gameplay and get really annoying fast. I also dont want to see master chief's face until halo is all over. Maybe something like this in the halo 6 campaign but not MM.

That is anther good point I hope does get addressed in the new game, some way to have shadowing and background not interfere with the visual aspects in game play. I could see looking into the bright sun or light having some very short lived affect.