What made it all go wrong?

aTrueHaloFan

Hi, im just the man in street wondering how the franchise of Halo suddenly went from top dop, to rock bottom within a few years. It seemed impossible, just like a UFO sighting, if you had told me about it, i probably wouldn't have beleived it. But it is true. Halo went from being a respected quality game, to what it is now - an ancient ruin of what once was.

The game functions worse than it did on the original Xbox 10 years ago. That is a fact that we all know.

I've always wondered how it happened. Was it bad management? Bad coding? Was it made useless on purpose, to avoid competition with CoD or CS? Were they paid off to sell a game wich was always meant to flop totally? Who knows. Each option seems equally unlikely. But one of them must be truth. Probably it's a mix between all of them, since this kind of complete failure cannot happen because of one small reason. There's a big reason behind it's failure. Many links who failed to their job.

So I have to ask again, WHY did Halo MCC flop so badly? What was the reason nothing worked as it was supposed to? Surely, an answer to this question is not too much to ask?

Please, do make me aware what caused this swift destruction of the Halo franchise.

Too ambitious with little time.

A recipe for failure. Hopefully they fix all of the main issues someday. So far theyve been doing good

They've only been doing well for their customers within America.

For those who live outside of America, very little has changed since day one regarding multiplayer.

• Like 1

Getting 4 different games on 1 disc with the time they had was over ambitious for sure, though they have made vast improvements. I'm encountering almost no problems with matchmaking these days (Europe btw).

I just hope they get their stuff together for H5, the beta sure was promising.

There were multiple companies working; Certain Affinity, Saber Interactive, 343i...

Even the menus were outsourced.

Going through and compiling code from hundreds of different authors and making it work 100% isn't an easy task, especially with a time limit.

^
^
^

What's wrong with hate posts? They are completely justified. :)

You pay 60 dollars for a game. or 49 pounds or whatever currency you uses to buy the game with.

But turns out the game is all around in almost every aspect broken.

Several months have passed and very little has changed.....

These hate posts are justified regardless.

Edited by Caboose The Ace
  • Like 1

^

^

^

You pay 60 dollars for a game. or 49 pounds or whatever currency you uses to buy the game with.

You mean 34% broken. Because at launch only the online aspects were screwy, and the online aspects are only 1/3 of what the game has to offer. And now...well they're still screwy as all hell but not nearly as much. So now I'd estimate it at...17% broken. Unless you live in Australia in which case it's still 34% broken.

I agree that it's completely absurd for the issues to persist for this long. By now it really should be flawless. But at the same time, the degree of hate in these hate posts could only be justified if 343 intentionally made the game buggier as a prank on the player base, and then proceeded to sell empty cases for Halo 5 as an even bigger joke.

You mean 34% broken. Because at launch only the online aspects were screwy, and the online aspects are only 1/3 of what the game has to offer. And now...well they're still screwy as all hell but not nearly as much. So now I'd estimate it at...17% broken. Unless you live in Australia in which case it's still 34% broken.

I agree that it's completely absurd for the issues to persist for this long. By now it really should be flawless. But at the same time, the degree of hate in these hate posts could only be justified if 343 intentionally made the game buggier as a prank on the player base, and then proceeded to sell empty cases for Halo 5 as an even bigger joke.

Including Forge having framerate issues, Campaign not working in co-op and it flat out crashing.

The game in Australia is about 80% broken, and that's the same for most people around the world not living in the US.

Including Forge having framerate issues, Campaign not working in co-op and it flat out crashing.

The game in Australia is about 80% broken, and that's the same for most people around the world not living in the US.

The game can't be more than 34% broken in any region of the world because only a third of it is online. 80% would mean that living in non-US regions screwed over the offline stuff too somehow. Weren't the framerate issues and crashing only caused by online Forge and co-op?

The game can't be more than 34% broken in any region of the world because only a third of it is online. 80% would mean that living in non-US regions screwed over the offline stuff too somehow. Weren't the framerate issues and crashing only caused by online Forge and co-op?

Nope, it was caused by Forge itself. Online and co-op had nothing to do with it.

This is why we have a quote button, Caboose.

Five months. That's hardly "several." Not to mention they're still working on 'the big one.'*

"Every aspect;" again, an exaggeration.

"Justified," no. "Hilarious to an extent," "whining for the sake of whining," and "altogether pointless," yes.

I don't see why everyone has to jump on the hate bandwagon; but then again, I tend to lean on the wall of patience. And when it comes down to it, haven't people learned NOT to buy a game at launch? And since when was a collection of video games across a handful of console generations considered "easy" and "a no-brainer" to throw together onto a single disc?

Why wasn't there this much hate when video games started shipping with day-one updates? Hell, half of the content in those updates fix bugs that completely break the game-- not to mention leave others for players to discover and 'cheat' with.**

* -- To my knowledge.

** -- Depending on the exploit.

This is why we have a quote button, Caboose.

Caboose's quote button does not work for some reason, therefore he makes up for it with "^^" each representing how many posts above the one he posted. To clarify he's talking to that particular person and quote.

• Like 1

Please, do make me aware what caused this swift destruction of the Halo franchise.

Disregarding the MCC itself, the franchise probably started to fall in popularity after:

a) The handover of Halo from Bungie to 343

B) Bungie's choices in Reach to change up the formula by inclusion of things that much of the community viewed as bad decisions

c) 343 following down Bungie's path and including things which the community ends up splitting apart from, tearing into two general halves of people who dislike each other. One side wants 'classic', one side wants 'change'.

When you make decisions in your games to try to attract gamers from other franchises who would rather play their franchise than your shoddy mix-match, while simultaneously alienating your own fanbase because of the inclusion of new things that don't sit well with them, well.... yeah.

What's wrong with hate posts? They are completely justified. smile.png

Probably all the hate. Nobody likes it if all they see is people hating them. 

There's a difference between constructive criticism and hate. 

The game can't be more than 34% broken in any region of the world because only a third of it is online.

A lot of people only play this game for it's online functionalities.

So if it's just 'online' broken, then to them it's, for all intents and purposes, 100% broken.

Caboose's quote button does not work for some reason, therefore he makes up for it with "^^" each representing how many posts above the one he posted. To clarify he's talking to that particular person and quote.

Noted.

A lot of people only play this game for it's online functionalities.

So if it's just 'online' broken, then to them it's, for all intents and purposes, 100% broken.

See this, people? This is an actual reason. THIS.

(It may be biased, but hey, it's an actual real reason.)

Also, it's another reason I'm okay with not playing with real life people. Kinda gross, I know, but I can only stand try-hard puppies for so long.

The online part of Mcc is for the majority the long lasting appeal of a game. :)

And with Matchmaking, Customs and Forge still for most people downright broken. The majority of the game is still broken.

( and besides campaign for a lot of people is still broken )

So you wanna know why it all went wrong?  That is a very complicated question with even more complicated answers that may or may not be correct.  it all depends on your personal view about each title.

Once could say they did get too ambitious yes, but this isn't really the case.  Microsoft tells their developer what they want.  343i, Bungie, etc they don't tell Microsoft what THEY want to do.  So by saying Microsoft got ambitious, you could instead say they overreached the amount of projects they had licensed out at one time.

You could also say that they lost quality developers with Bungie's exit and choice to not renegotiate/continue a new contract for developing Halo.  This however is anyone's guess, as we will never know how Halo 4 or the MCC would have turned out had Bungie did the developing.  Based on the fact that they did all the titles previous to Halo 4, it is safe to assume that they would have had the entire MCC up and running without issue.

Suffice to say when it comes to people's opinions on how Halo went down hill, it all started with Reach and Bungie's overwhelming desire to not want to develop Halo anymore.

• Like 1