Ask The Director 2.0

What's the difference in illegal and unlawful? Or is there a difference?

To some people there is a difference, but even so not much of one. They take illegal to mean forbidden by law and unlawful to mean not conforming to the law. As a matter of fact, Oxford Dictionary only recently changed it's definition of the two words to match this. 

Now, let's take a look at the two words themselves.

illegal broken down into roots is il legal.

Unlawful broken down is un law ful.

By the root words in each we get this:

il=not legal=permitted by law

un=not law=system of rules ful=full

So by their basic premise they are meant to be used interchangeably. Unlawful = not following the system of rules and illegal = not permitted by law(system of rules). In other words, jaywalking would be unlawful. It would also be illegal. Murdering someone is unlawful and illegal. 

There are people who split hairs on it's usage, saying that unlawful is used in a different way because of it's definition. For instance here's what the British & World Oxford Dictionary describes as the difference.

Illegal and unlawful have slightly different meanings, although they are often used interchangeably. Something that is illegal is against the law, whereas an unlawful act merely contravenes the rules that apply in a particular context. Thus handball in soccer is unlawful, but it is not illegal.

U wot m8? Does soccer not have a system of rules? It does? That means that doing something like playing with your hands is against that system of rules, right? Which is the root word definition and the most commonly used form of the word illegal, right?

Yes.

Now you're probably asking, "How did things go so askew?!?!?!"

It's pretty simple. Lawyers trying to look smart. One lawyer created a law dictionary that had a couple of usage definitions for the two words (which implied that they were not synonyms), and the other lawyers were like, "omguh I'mma luk dum yo" and followed suit. Of course, no one actually used the words separately. It's actually not possible to use them separately while using them correctly. Anything you say is illegal is also unlawful. Anything you say is unlawful is also illegal.

/rant

• Like 2

I recently tried to make my first purchase (using an iTunes card) on a new iPod of mine. I tapped the download function, and it proceeded to ask for my Apple ID. I entered my Apple ID and pin then went to another screen that asked me the answer to my two security questions. I do not remember the answers to these. How can I reset these questions and proceed to downloading my new app?

• Like 1

I recently tried to make my first purchase (using an iTunes card) on a new iPod of mine. I tapped the download function, and it proceeded to ask for my Apple ID. I entered my Apple ID and pin then went to another screen that asked me the answer to my two security questions. I do not remember the answers to these. How can I reset these questions and proceed to downloading my new app?

It's actually pretty easy. You can go to appleid.apple.com, sign into your Apple ID by clicking "Manage Your Apple ID", click Password and Security, and it should ask you to answer two of your security questions. If you have a rescue email set up, below that will be a link to send yourself a security question reset email.

If you don't, you need to get ahold of AppleCare. You'll still need this page, as they are going to ask you for the Temp Support Pin.

My question is split up into three questions.

1. Do you watch anime?

2. (If the answer is yes) What's your favourite anime?

3. (Same basis as two) What anime character do you resemble the most out of the animes that you have watched?

My question is split up into three questions.

1. Do you watch anime?

2. (If the answer is yes) What's your favourite anime?

3. (Same basis as two) What anime character do you resemble the most out of the animes that you have watched?

1. Yes

2. Death Note

3. This one is difficult. If you mean physically, nearly all of the main characters with black hair and blue eyes. If you mean in a "point of view" way, probably Pain from Naruto.

Do you know everything?

Oh and who is the lead singer of the band 30 Seconds to Mars, and is he married???

No.

Jared Leto, who I consider to be an actor who happens to sing on the side. lol He's not married.

Who is called Hodor from the 93X Half-assed Morning show?

No idea. I live on the opposite side of the United States. We've got 100.3 The X here. 

So do I win something since I asked you a legit question and stumped you?

Lol not this time. However, if an award does come out for this thread I'll give it to you for the stump.

Why is it that whenever you look at the link on Youtube when you're watching a video the link says Watch?

Why does it say that?

Oh this one takes a bit of memory. Alright, so the watch? is part of the link. The watch is the part that brings you to the player, the question mark is either a placeholder or a conditional operator, and the rest of the link from that point determines what is streamed through the player. It's usually v= if I remember right, meaning Video Equals in a non-computer language.

Do you know of any ways to enter states of lucid dreaming? (Dreaming, whilst being fully aware you are asleep, for those of you who aren't HIP to the LINGO)

The way I use is to lay comfortably on my back in a room-temperature room (or colder with a blanket covering me), lay my hands at my sides so that they are not touching me, let my mind drift off and ignore the itching and small pains that happen, and don't move. After 7-10 minutes of this I usually feel a weight on my chest signifying sleep paralysis has taken over, and then drift off into lucid dreams after about 13-15 minutes.

• Like 1

Is it possible to put a picture from your desktop into a PM? If so can you please tell me how?

Directly? No. Using an image hosting site, yes. Imgur, imageshack, and a couple others out there are great for it. You can either put the link in the PM to show off the picture or use the tags.

• Like 1

Hey Director I recently made my xbox account a U.S one and I noticed some big changes like you guys get heaps of ads and I was wondering what's with all the U.S Army ads?

Microsoft makes money off of the advertisements, and a big contributor to that just happens to be the United States military.

I had this exact same problem. But unlike what The Director has told you, AppleSupport could not fix the problem for me.

The only way they could get it to work was for me to remember 1 of the 2 security question answers, and I could not. My dilemma started out with a regular Support Handler, and then went all the way up to a Manager. Even she did not know how to fix it. I bet if I had stayed there the problem would have gone even higher in the ranks.

That 10$ is still gathering dust on my Apple ID. :cray:  

Anyway, Director, I have a question... Mirror glass is green, yes?

I had this exact same problem. But unlike what The Director has told you, AppleSupport could not fix the problem for me.

The only way they could get it to work was for me to remember 1 of the 2 security question answers, and I could not. My dilemma started out with a regular Support Handler, and then went all the way up to a Manager. Even she did not know how to fix it. I bet if I had stayed there the problem would have gone even higher in the ranks.

That 10$ is still gathering dust on my Apple ID. :cray:  

Anyway, Director, I have a question... Mirror glass is green, yes?

Immediate answer to your question: It doesn't have to be. It can be any color.

Also, you wouldn't have been able to go any higher than the manager you spoke to. That would be the "Senior Adviser" level, which is the highest level lol

But yeah, you need 1 piece of identifying information. If you don't have a credit card set up or the ability for device code verification, then there's nothing anyone can do.

(I was once able to guide a guy through setting up his credit card because he remembered his password though).

Immediate answer to your question: It doesn't have to be. It can be any color.

Also, you wouldn't have been able to go any higher than the manager you spoke to. That would be the "Senior Adviser" level, which is the highest level lol

But yeah, you need 1 piece of identifying information. If you don't have a credit card set up or the ability for device code verification, then there's nothing anyone can do.

(I was once able to guide a guy through setting up his credit card because he remembered his password though).

Well yes, a mirror can reflect anything: including colors, but on a tiny scale... a mirror is green.

And I think that AppleSupport Question thing is a fatal flaw in the system. I know my password, and Apple ID, so it should let me change my Security Questions: which it does not. If someone who was completely intolerant of this system came along I bet they would attempt to sue Apple. I wouldn't because that's a stupid thing to do... but it happens. And I bet they could get away with it too. 

Thanks for the reply though. :)