Ask The Director 2.0

Why is it that as soon as 343i announced the sacrifice of split-screen to promise a clean experience, some people and their dog played split-screen and make split-screen the deciding factor for buying/not buying a game?

Why are some of the Halo fanbase so incompetent?

When was the point in time that these forums were most active?

What was your reason for signing up on these forums?

Do you consider yourself to be an environmentalist?

Which one was more annoying, SWAG or YOLO?

Why is it that as soon as 343i announced the sacrifice of split-screen to promise a clean experience, some people and their dog played split-screen and make split-screen the deciding factor for buying/not buying a game?

Why are some of the Halo fanbase so incompetent?

Your question makes a couple of incorrect assumptions, so let me clear those up real quick.

1. Splitscreen doesn't have any affect on FPS values unless you are actively using it. Meaning that those who use the entirety of their screen will have the 'clean experience' that you speak of regardless of whether splitscreen is included in the game. The only time splitscreen could even have an impact on the solo screen players is during online matchmaking, and even then it's not a framerate issue. The only obvious reason that they could have to remove splitscreen is to claim that their game will run 60 fps all the time, which is a marketing ploy at best. I've seen a couple of arguments out there that since H5 is being built around 60 FPS that using splitscreen would drop the FPS down to 10-15 making it unplayable, but that argument doesn't hold up at all. There are a few multiplayer games that lock solo screen multiplayer and singleplayer at min 60 FPS and lock splitscreen (both multiplayer and co-op) at a min of 30 FPS. There is no way that 343i, with the financial backing of Microsoft and the development team that they have, could not accomplish this with Halo 5. Especially since a good chunk of those games are indie games with a budget of under 100k USD.

2. Splitscreen has always been a factor in whether or not people buy Halo, but this issue (splitscreen being removed) has never come up before because every major Halo title prior to 5 has included splitscreen. Personally, I've been involved in debates over whether or not Halo is better than Battlefield, and Halo has always nosed just ahead due to the fact that it has splitscreen. 343i and M$ seem to think that Halo's major demographics are children who have no siblings, teenagers who have no friends, and young adults who have no roommates. Either that or they are pulling the whole "we're saying that we're going to take this one thing away and then give it back at the last second so it seems like we actually listen to you guys" ploy again.

3. I genuinely do not see how the desire to play with other people on one television and with one console qualifies as incompetence, which is what your second question implies. Going by the definition of the word incompetent, I would venture to say that a mutlimillion dollar corporation expecting people to buy multiple consoles and televisions so that all of their children, siblings, roommates, or friends can play with them simultaneously is rather incompetent. It would also be incompetent to actually go out and purchase additional consoles, televisions, and games to accommodate said children, siblings, roommates, and friends.

Now that's out of the way let me say this. There is literally no reason for you to be angry at those who want splitscreen in Halo 5, unless they are being abusive towards you personally. There is only one reason that a solo screen player would want splitscreen out of Halo 5, and that's the chance that they may pair up with a couple of people who are bad at Halo in matchmaking who also happen to be splitscreening. That's pretty much the only improvement you're going to see if you solo screen in Halo, but even that's not exactly the boon that it appears to be. Those same bad players will likely still be playing matchmaking, only they can't screen peek to help them boost your teams score despite their suckiness. Not to mention that you're just as likely to have those splitscreeners on the enemy team, giving you and your team a bit of an advantage. So overall it cancels itself out.

• Like 1

What was the hardest question you encountered? 

A question about types of bolts used in a specific line of work that was confusing to me at the time. The questioner wanted the specific nomenclature of the bolts but didn't specify that in the question and only inferred that that was the answer he was looking for. That's probably a good example of 'the hardest question' that I've encountered. 

• Like 1

Actual Personal Matter, not a joke question lol.

I sense a pattern amongst our teenager types regarding our relationships.

Why does it feel like as soon as I start getting interested in a girl, actually talking to her, and such: She ends up (or is already in) one of the healthiest relationships, but by the time she breaks up with her "soul mate" MONTHS LATER, I've lost interest (Or hope, lol.) in her, and vice versa. Why does this happen and is there a name for these certain situations?

Actual Personal Matter, not a joke question lol.

I sense a pattern amongst our teenager types regarding our relationships.

Why does it feel like as soon as I start getting interested in a girl, actually talking to her, and such: She ends up (or is already in) one of the healthiest relationships, but by the time she breaks up with her "soul mate" MONTHS LATER, I've lost interest (Or hope, lol.) in her, and vice versa. Why does this happen and is there a name for these certain situations?

I think that in the question lies the answer, my good man. Most people can tell if they like someone enough to date them within the first hour of meeting that person. It taking you longer than that to determine whether a girl is interesting enough to date points to a tad bit of, well, being picky.

Two things to remember when it comes to dating while in your teens:

1. While some high school relationships do end up in happy marriages, the majority of them end before graduation or during college. The reason is pretty simple. Dating during high school is simply practice for future relationships. You will not likely find your 'soul mate' in high school, or even during your teenage years, but it is good practice for when you eventually do.

2. Nobody is perfect, which means that being picky about who you date will end up in you never finding someone to date. That is not such a horrible thing, as some people are actually quite happy with only friends and no 'significant other'. The person you end up asking out will very likely have some deep character flaws, but these flaws are part of what makes them who they are. Which means they aren't as flawed as you would originally think.

tl;dr there isn't as much pressure involved in dating during your teenage years as you seem to think there is. Instead of going for the 'perfect girl', try going for more available females. They will probably surprise you. Remember, this is just practice for when you are older and begin serious relationships that will fully effect your life.

What types of seashells can you find that's not in the ocean, but are not small?

Usually shells from large mussels. Most freshwater 'seashells' are quite small, but mussels can get to be a decent size.

What would be the result if you were to remove Coulomb's Force from existence? ;)

Absolutely love this question. Well done.

Okay, so Coulomb's Law states that the magnitude of the electrostatic force of interaction between two charges is directly proportional to the scalar multiplication of the magnitudes of charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The force (Coulomb's Force) is along the straight line joining them. If the two charges are the same, the electrostatic force between them is repulsive but if they are different, the force between them is attractive.

Now if Coulomb's Force did not exist, that would mean that magnetized objects would not attract or repel each other. SEVERAL things would stop working immediately. For instance, a compass would no longer work because the north and south poles would no longer attract the iron in the compass. Electricity would also change drastically in an unknowable fashion, likely resulting in our inability to harness and use it. These, however, would likely be the least of our worries because even atoms probably wouldn't be able to bond with each other, or even form in the first place.
  • Like 2

What is your take on Paranormal Investigative Television shows? Such as Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, etc. Do you believe these folks are credible? Mind giving me your take on the Paranormal in general?

What is your take on Paranormal Investigative Television shows? Such as Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, etc. Do you believe these folks are credible? Mind giving me your take on the Paranormal in general?

Well the thing is they are TV shows. Meaning that the only way they continue is to meet their quota of viewers. Now, if their investigations turn up bupkis, then they aren't going to have any viewers. It's like that with any sort of 'Paranormal Investigation' that makes money from their investigations. Their financial gain is completely dependent on them yielding 'interesting' results. No interesting results, no payday. No payday, no food or place to live. Therefor every investigation that they conduct is tainted by this little factoid. 

As far as the paranormal itself, I have yet to see conclusive evidence of it's existence. I've heard tons of ghost stories, seen plenty of 'real evidence' in those shows you've mentioned, and even have seen a few strange things myself.

Thing is though, each and every time someone told me a story it repeated the same pattern. 

"I saw a ghost when I was -- years old and it scared me."

"What if it wasn't a ghost though, what if it was a strange light?"

"Well I know it was a ghost because it was the ghost of my grandmother!"

or

"I was sitting alone in bed when my bedroom door burst open out of nowhere, so my house is obviously haunted."

"What if it was a draft and your door wasn't completely latched?"

"Well I know my house is haunted because all of the windows in the house were closed."

"What if someone opened your front door though?"

"Nope. I was home completely alone because my parents were out of town."

See, the problem here is that whenever you attempt to assist in the explanation of the supposed paranormal occurrence, you are immediately shot down with some 'evidence' that was not present in the story previously. If you keep trying, it frustrates the person telling the story and they get very defensive. Sometimes it leads to a physical confrontation. 

The shows I've already explained previously, and as far as what I've seen myself pretty much all of it has multiple explanations and nothing conclusive. So while I am open to the possibility of paranormal phenomena, I have yet to be convinced of it.

• Like 1

Do you like Apple products? 

Well, Apple products have a lot to offer inexperienced tech users. Their UI is easy to learn, their hardware is fast enough to run basic programs, and they come with some of the best warranties you can get in the United States.

That being said though, I do not use Apple products for a quite simple reason. Their products are too limiting for me.

Mac vs. PC (and other computers)

When you purchase a Personal Computer 'Tower' you are actually purchasing several companies worth of technology. If you buy a Dell tower (lulz) you are purchasing some technology that is made by Dell but at the same time other bits of tech made by other companies. It's likely that if you break a tower down into parts you'll find at least four different IP owners in that computer. This allows you to customize your hardware to the point of replacing most, if not all, of the tower's inner workings if you wanted to.

The problem with Apple is that they dislike other companies making hardware for them. If they can purchase the IP for the hardware design, they will. If you open a Mac you will likely find a maximum of two companies worth of IP in the machine. This actually discourages other companies from going through the effort and risk involved in creating hardware for Mac, meaning that your customization options are severely limited compared to a Personal Computer. Not to mention that if you do not want to void your warranty (which is by far one of the reasons to even own a Mac) you will have to take your computer to an 'Apple Store' to have the customization done.

iPhone vs Android and Windows Phones

Now I will say that I have used, and enjoyed using, the iPhone. The reason I don't have one though is because of the limitations that Apple puts in place on it. Instead of working with other companies to develop new and innovative applications and designs they either purchase the IP or try their hand at making it themselves. This had led to some awesomeness, but also some very not-awesomeness.

For instance, the Apple Maps application was absolutely horrid when it was first released. Even when it worked 'close enough', it still wasn't even 80% functional. The application would tell you that a street was there when one wasn't, would refuse to show a street that WAS there, and would even tell you that you were in a different city or state. At the time you didn't have all that many other options either. Just recently Apple began allow iOS to be compatible with Google Maps, but back when people actually needed it the option wasn't there. This is simply a for instance of what I mean, there are several other examples.

Another bad thing about the iPhone is that Apple has sold it's soul to carriers. They allow carriers to do EVERYTHING to iPhones these days, including creating 'refurbished' phones. The thing is, the very strict system that Apple has put in place regarding refurbishments does not apply to the carrier. The primary difference between Apple and other mobile devices at this point is that other mobile devices use parts that are pretty easy to come by. iPhones do not. With an iPhone you must order the parts directly from Apple. Which doesn't exactly encourage carriers to order new parts for the devices. What they usually do instead is cannibalize iPhones that are 'too far gone' and use the parts that they think work in iPhones that aren't 'too far gone'. This results in most refurbished iPhone coming from carriers being bricks waiting to happen. With other mobile phones the parts are easier to order than cannibalizing a broken phone, resulting in decent refurbishments coming from the carriers.

iPods and iPads

Now the only griefs I have with iPods and iPads is that they too are limited in a somewhat extreme manner. If you own one of these and have at a time owned a different companies version of these then you know what I mean. Now, if you put enough time and effort into it you can learn to work past these limitations. However, if you're not absolutely careful while working past the limitations you will break the device. Then you'll have to purchase a new one (and they aren't exactly cheap) because working past the limitations voids the warranty for the device. Which is fair enough but it's a bit of a pain to have to go through all that effort to do something on a device that's ten times more expensive than one you could have purchased which didn't have the limitations.

I would go into further detail here but this reply is getting rather long already. So I will just say... Flash.

• Like 2

While I think of a new question, can you tell us about your height, weight, and blood type? 

5'6", 140 lbs, and A+

How many different types of vegetables, fruits, and natural wild edibles (wild edible plants) exist in the world?

Over 20,000 different species that we know of.

• Like 1

(easy questions yay)

Why is it so difficult to find an Alien civilization? We're working our butts off!

What would be our first response in discovering an alien species (far ahead from our era of technology), not by radio signal?

If you need clarification, lemme know.

(easy questions yay)

Why is it so difficult to find an Alien civilization? We're working our butts off!

What would be our first response in discovering an alien species (far ahead from our era of technology), not by radio signal?

If you need clarification, lemme know.

The reason it is difficult is simple. Distance. Our universe is unfathomably large. So, if there was an alien civilization relatively nearby it would still take decades/centuries for our radio signals to reach them. Not to mention that they may not even be advanced enough to understand radio waves, or they followed a different technological pathway and so they don't use radio.

Our first response would be to hold a meeting in the United Nations and decide whether the extraterrestrials appeared friendly, hostile, or neutral. The UN meeting would then decide if we should attempt to communicate with them, and if so how we would. No individual nation would be allowed to attempt to communicate with the extraterrestrials for fear of economic reprisal.

That's about the limits of our decided upon 'first contact scenario'. 

Why is it that people call wind turbines "windmills?" Do people not understand the difference?

Wind Turbines are called windmills simply because of the similarities they share and the fact that the word 'windmill' is easier to say. 

• Like 2

This is not an answer I approve of.

Well unfortunately it's down to common usage versus dictionary definitions of the terms. Now, everyone who knows the term Wind Turbine knows that they make electricity instead of things like grinding grain and all the other things windmills do. However, those who are not familiar enough with Wind Turbines and windmills wouldn't know the difference at face value. They are both objects that make use of wind power to accomplish a task. While the task is wildly different, most people that use the terms interchangeably don't know that.

Well unfortunately it's down to common usage versus dictionary definitions of the terms. Now, everyone who knows the term Wind Turbine knows that they make electricity instead of things like grinding grain and all the other things windmills do. However, those who are not familiar enough with Wind Turbines and windmills wouldn't know the difference at face value. They are both objects that make use of wind power to accomplish a task. While the task is wildly different, most people that use the terms interchangeably don't know that.

This is an answer I approve of.