Legendary Slayer

ForgeMonitor

At Pax East 13, 343i announced Legendary Slayer, a combination of Infinity Slayer and Throwdown. I haven't seen any threads concerning it, so this one should keep the discussion going until the playlist's release in late-Spring/early-Summer. These are my suggestions and predictions:

Load-out

There will probably be just one load-out: AR/Magnum, Frags 2x, Thruster Pack/Hardlight Shield/Hologram ("pro" loadouts), and shielding. I hope there is shielding because it will speed up game-play; players will be able to get into the action faster, not waiting forever for their shields to recharge.

World Ordnance: The usual (Rockets, Snipe, OS) but no random drops.

Personal Ordnance: This is where it gets interesting; 343i also announced dedicated weapons tuning, which means that we can have a slightly nerfed starting AR, a buffed Carbine, a nerfed DMR, and the much-anticipated 4sk BR. POD options will be (in descending order of weight): BR/LR/DMR, Pulse grenades/Plasma Pistol/Boltshot, and PromoVision/Jetpack/Speed Boost. There are no power weapons in the PODs, so everything is balanced. The only power-up is Speed Boost, which is rare and stimulates map movement.

These are just my predictions and suggestions. Since there are no rifles off spawn (short of the Carbine), players are encouraged to move around and are less hindered by rifle spamming. Since getting kills and earning PODs requires getting down and dirty with the AR, players can't just sit back and pick off opponents--well, they can, but they have to earn it first. I know that this game-type wouldn't be the classic (vanilla) Halo everyone enjoyed in Halo's past, but it actually has benefits. Halo 4 is a new game with new mechanics, and this is how it was meant to be played.

See you in June.

• Like 2

@Spark It will definitely be better than Throwdown. It might not be classic because of the ordnance drops, but I feel they are balanced fairly well. You can sculpt and share around the game-type to get a feel for what LS what be like before it even comes out. I'm curious to see what people think of it...

• Like 1

@Spark It will definitely be better than Throwdown. It might not be classic because of the ordnance drops, but I feel they are balanced fairly well. You can sculpt and share around the game-type to get a feel for what LS what be like before it even comes out. I'm curious to see what people think of it...

Okay, that sounds better.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that 343i has released the details concerning the balancing of all the primary weapons, it's safe to say that I was right--mostly. The BR will be a 4sk, the Carbine a 7sk (like at E3), the aim assist on the automatic rifles was decreased and the damage boosted slightly, and the DMR and LR remain viable for long-range engagements. Link here: http://halo4nation.com/news/halo-bulletin-4-17-13-weapon-tuning/

@Victory Element The DMR is seen as "overpowered" in comparison to other precision weapons. Here's how I think the BR should be: It should have a lower rate of fire, but should be a 4-shot kill. This way, the BR would be better in CQC but the DMR will still outclass it at long range, as opposed to outclassing it in every way, like it currently does.

• Like 1

@FleshBack Very estute observation. I agree; there needs to be a dedicated slayer playlist that releases the potential of Halo 4. We need a bit of what worked in past games combined with newer mechanics that speed up game play. Check out this link; Bravo talks about some changes that reaffirm what I speculated might occur...and it they're coming soon!

Link: http://halo4nation.com/news/halo-bulletin-5-2-13-map-updates/

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've visited this thread. Now that the weapons are retuned at long last, I think my idea for Legendary Slayer is even more applicable. It will be very rewarding for players to earn mid-range rifles through jumping into the action with a classic Assault Rifle loadout, rather than be gifted those powerful rifles in the beginning of the match.

If I made a gametype called "Legendary Slayer" everyone would have max range enhanced motion trackers and nav points over their heads, 1 second shield recharge wait, full range of AAs and loadout options, bottomless clips, and at least 110% speed. No running or hiding, just who's the best "Slayer?"

Which weapons would be available is a trickier question, I think I'd pick one of the "No ________" options for ordinance so you wouldn't see a lot of rocket launchers but you would see weapons that gave an edge in the right situations with their own strengths and weaknesses (Shotguns yes, Sniper rifles yes, Incineration Cannons No).

It would also be FFA since teamwork is a different skill than point 'n' click. If I'm going to put an ambitious adjective like "Legendary" in front of something I'm going to make that gametype the very definition of the word.

"Slayer", pure "Slayer," is just FFA with as much luck taken out as possible (Hence the motion trackers and nav points and fast recharging shields; each fight has to be decided on the details specific to that fight, not the one before.), it's a bit tricky since FFA is already influenced by luck quite a bit, but if you put a team in then other skills than slaying show up.

Before MLG I'm pretty sure Lone Wolves was the hardest playlist in Halo 3, because you only had yourself to depend on, and there were more people trying to kill you than in any other ranked playlists (Except the brief lives of Ranked BTB and Squad Battle). It didn't make you a complete player though, just a good slayer.

It wasn't the hardest thing you could do in Halo (That would probably be a 15v1) but it was as close as you could get without making people quit the game. So for "Slayer" to be "Legendary" it needs to be FFA with as little luck and cheese as possible.

Edited by Bloody Initiate

No joke. And the area should consist of 7 small box shaped rooms. The first four of which are inhabited by two players each. The winner of those rooms moves on to the next one with the other winners, as the continue to slay and eliminate each other until the best Slayer is left standing.

Slayer...

No joke. And the area should consist of 7 small box shaped rooms. The first four of which are inhabited by two players each. The winner of those rooms moves on to the next one with the other winners, as the continue to slay and eliminate each other until the best Slayer is left standing.

Slayer...

That would be a good "Legendary Duelist," and you could set up the spawns so eventually everyone faced everyone else at least once.

I know you were joking, but I might be a bit annoyed with 343's awkward inability to really get comfortable with their standard gametypes, hence my suggestion of something more extreme.

I don't really like that they have "casual" slayer, "competitive" slayer, and are now apparently trying to find something in between both. I think there are other avenues to explore than the "Casual-Competitive" spectrum. I feel like they aren't exploring much or thinking creatively, they're just reading playlist numbers or something similarly removed from the game and then working off of that.