Do the Halo 4 maps suck?

MandoMan

EXile Ragnarok, Haven, Abandon are all good maps in my opinion.

The rest are poor expecially the DLC, they are so r behind the above maps i is not even funny.

All in all Halo 4 fails on he map front and something sayd the next DLC will have a lot of remakes as it would appear 343 have little imagination on this front.

I love the maps for certain gametypes. Haven for Slayer, Complex for CTF, Abandoned for KOTH and CTF, Solace for Regicide and CTF, etc. The DLC are perfect for certain gametypes too, Shatter with Dominion and Extraction, Harvest for CTF, and Wreckage for just about anything.

The main thing I noticed tho is that we are constantly spamming 343 with "bring this back" and "remake this". I can tell that this kinda annoys 343 and they keep shoving original garbage down our throuts!

Theyre so obsesed with making their own mark on halo that they forget what really makes halo "HALO"

• Like 2

The Pit.

Oh how I hope they never do this, if they bring the Pit back i will throw this game away and give up on 343 forever, just because maps were great does not mean they will be great with this game.

Maps like the Pit, Guardian etc. were built for real Halo, not the trash this game offers, they were balanced to perfection, encouraged aggressive play and made teams work together and think smart.

All of this is gone from Halo now, and we have added instant respawn and sprint so lvl's seem smaller and and death means little, the DMR has chaged rounds and these are things that would destroy what made some of the best Halo lvl's so amazing.

I say make new ones, show us they can do something right..

• Like 1

Halo 4 maps>>>>>>>>>Halo Reach maps

Haters gonna hate

I do not think anyone here bar maybe a few really count reach when they talk of Halo greats, that was bungies mess about when they knew they were on the way out, they accepted it would be a hit or a fail (ended up fail) but did not care as it mattered not.

Compare this games maps to 2 or 3 when they were released, I get tired of the sad little haters gonna hate comments, I mean its the same as saying trolls gonna troll.....

• Like 1

Complex a good map? Seriously???

The DLC maps were pretty bad, but Exile, Haven, Adrift, those are pretty good. The others? A bit meh. Gameplay is kinda slow on those ones. Complex? Depends on the gametype; because there's only 1 way required to win and that is to get top mid. And stay there.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 had the best maps IMO. Reach had a few good maps like Sword Base, the Ivory Tower remake and the base with the Rocket Ship in it. The only maps in Halo 4 that I actually enjoy playing on are Exile, Adrift, Abandon, Haven, and Longbow. The others are decent but, the game play on them no matter then game type is very repetitive. Take Ragnarok and Comlex for instance. No matter the game type it's nothing but, a long range DMR campfest about 75-80% of the time(For me anyways).

• Like 1

The maps all have very good designs and color schemes about them, and they are all different (as opposed to Halo Reach with the same blue/grey scheme), but smaller maps are needed for 4v4 and 5v5 gametypes. 343 just needs to come out with more smaller maps like the ones on the Majestic map pack. 343 is already heading in the right direction with the new additions of Shutout (aka Lockout) and others.

If you were about the size of a launcher and this were a sci-fi racing game then the Halo 4 maps would be awesome. Sadly you're bigger than that and supposed to kill each other. They DO suck, and it's a deliberate design choice that they should suck, although the map makers hopefully weren't writing "make maps suck" on a dry-erase board to remind them of their objective every day, they were writing something equally stupid and synonymous like "promote movement" and/or "forbid camping."

The problem with Halo 4 maps is they're designed to funnel and control you instead of being designed to inspire and allow you. Haven is a favorite, but there's nothing to do on Haven except run around. That makes it work for slayer and nothing else ever. Halo 4 maps are hamster wheels, letting you move without giving you anywhere to go. I have a hard time with this personally because my movement has to have an objective. I have to want something on the map, a weapon or a position. In Halo 4 maps there is nothing on the maps that I want to have or do.

So yeah they suck quite a bit. They wanted us to keep moving and never to camp, but they failed to realize how aimless this makes movement feel. You're just marauding around hoping to find someone, and you won't have a good position when you do. The result is almost exactly the opposite of 343's intention. One of the smartest things you can do is stick with your team, and it's easier to hold a team together when you don't move as much. You also don't have any power weapons or power positions to worry about, so wherever your team is becomes the best place for you, and then you can just summon power weapons.

Maps like the Pit, Guardian etc. were built for real Halo, not the trash this game offers, they were balanced to perfection, encouraged aggressive play and made teams work together and think smart.

All of this is gone from Halo now, and we have added instant respawn and sprint so lvl's seem smaller and and death means little, the DMR has chaged rounds and these are things that would destroy what made some of the best Halo lvl's so amazing.

I say make new ones, show us they can do something right..

I second this. The DMR changes the game, whether you like it or not you can engage enemies from at least twice the range that you once could. This makes just about every map created before Reach sieze up like an ungreased wheel.

It's a shame because most maps made in Reach and in Halo 4 aren't any good. I'm a bit confused why they've NEVER re-made "Boarding Action" though, it's the one damn map ever made designed for consistent long-range combat. It would have worked in Reach or in Halo 4. I don't really want any more re-makes, even though I was very glad to see Valhalla return as Ragnarok (I've said in multiple places that I believe that's the best map ever seen in a Halo game). Most people don't want to play the same map over and over again even if it's perfect, and most don't have an obstacle like the center hill cutting a bit into the DMR's reach. The Pit actually did, so it may actually work. The maximum range you could fight at in the Pit actually ended up being 4-shot range for the BR most the time. Snipers would be miserable in a DMR-infested Pit though. You could barely withstand the BRs when you were sniping in the Pit, the DMR would just make your life miserable.

• 3 weeks later...

In an attempt to not sound like a whiny little troll, I'm gonna star by saying how much I truly enjoy this game and what a great job I think 343 has done with a franchise that I grew up loving. Also I think the maps we have so far are great ... For big team. Therein lies the problem. all these maps are huge! Me and my roommate are primarily swat guys and almost every map (haven excluded) is way too big for swat. There's no way I'm the only one who feels this way too because there have only been one or two instances when haven has been an option and it wasn't chosen. So 343, great game, but we need some smaller, more simple maps.

The maps are definitlely part of the problem with the game.

Big team battle has always been my favorite playlist after 4v4 slayer, and it just sucks with the game mechanics combined with the BTB maps. Ragnarok is good, but gets old since it's really the only good btb map.

Exile is good but horribly unbalanced, even though I do well on that map since there's power weapons everywhere and I'm pretty pro at killing vehicles.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion they do, especially the new forge made maps that have been included for flood, and the decision to put settler in Big team slayer. Settler is too small and open for BTS to work properly, and moving about becomes difficult when 5 people camp the ridge line with DMRs. As for the forge made flood maps, it's like playing a large circle; they are somehow cluttered but it feels like there is nothing. They all feel like the exact same map.

My fav is Ragnarok (is that in itself pathetic?), Haven is pretty sweet (I did notice they changed some of the lower hallways with an update a little bit not too long after the game was released), exile is all right.

Every other map is just "meh".

They all look the same really, and its even worse when they give you such an abstract view of what each map is when you're selecting a choice. Like wtf, I'd rather see a wide clean shot of the map I'm about to play on.

Halo 4 has horrible maps. I didn't even bother with dlc as I already suspected as much, read the reviews, and watched the trailers.

Yeah, the maps are generally bad. They don't encourage genius tactics, map control, or fighting over a power weapon. They're just...places. A big place to fight in, with some scenery. The other games had maps with careful calculations to make sure everything ran smoothly. These maps didn't have much thought put into them.

Camping, running around with an automatic and hoping someone will die, and ordnance are basically all they're made for. And when you do move, they force everyone into one spot where they can fight without any strategy, and those closest to the middle of the group of people will die.