What types of forge maps does the community like to see?

ShockBolt21

As I look through the competitive community-made forge maps, many of them seem the same to me, or way too similar...

Description or your typical community forge map-

They are all just one large structure or a few plain buildings, and the maps take place predominantly under a roof and/or boxed in by several walls. Frequently, the whole map is that same white color- the color of the structure pieces. The sight lines are usually short, there are tight corners, and they are typically just DMR/BR shootouts at close and medium range, sometimes with a mongoose or a ghost here and there. They are usually played from 2v2 to 6v6, red vs blue, with several game types. Here are a few of many examples (And note that each of these images comes from a different map)...

post-63092-0-39989200-1359603465.png

"Delirium," by Master Sundown

post-63092-0-42589700-1359603475.jpg

"Evacuated," by Junkyard Corgi

post-63092-0-26809000-1359603483.png

"MLG Conjunction," by The Sigma AI

post-63092-0-69604600-1359603491_thumb.png

"Renury," by XreignZ

post-63092-0-37896300-1359603503.jpg

"Structure," by Lx Kill3rMan1ac

Is it just me, or do you guys also see the extreme similarities between all of these maps? Not just the way they look, but the way they play also has little variation. Does the community have an appetite for something different... something new in their competitive maps? One of my personal favorites is "TheTrenches" by Mr Pokephile, even though he technically considered it a minigame, it still has that team-based, organized gameplay that makes it seem competitive to me, and certianly more fun than those dull, repetitive DMR or BR close quarter shootout maps. I also created my own map, "Armored Strike," (Posted on 343's "Competitive Map Submissions" forum on 1/29) which is a large vehicle based map that better resembles the natural terrain that the vehicles should actually be fighting on. You will see how it is very different from those shown above. I encourage you guys to check it out (http://www.343indust...armored-strike/), but more importantly I would like to know what you think about my opinion on the repetitive maps.

• Like 1

I personally like smaller 1v1, 2v2, and 4v4 maps. Maps that introduce innovative ideas and lots of good aesthetics. We all have different tastes. I think there are plenty of everything to go around though. I just think people need to stop making lockout remakes. :P

But many people like making competitive maps because halo is striving to be a competitive game. However people need to stop just recreating or copying ideas and innovate their maps as I said before. Good post.

Also it is kind of hard to not make the map white. The prices are white. Make me a rainbow map and I will send you a cookie in the mail :)

I don't particularly forge Competetive maps.

However, I agree with you on the idea that most Competetive maps are similar, and that the blinding white is often the cause of this. I forge "Competetive Mini-games" i.e. my Assassin's Creed maps, but also forge aesthetically appealing Flood maps or showcases. At the moment, it seems to me that players are continuously forging and playing "Linear Flood maps".

I would like to extrapolate on your "similar maps" idea, because I also think that Flood maps have begun to look similar. Most often forged on Erosion, the color pallette is the same. I like original maps and ideas. I hardly even fret about gameplay, I just look for originality and aesthetic appeal.

• Like 2

Most of those maps you pictured are meant to be MLG style competitive maps. The MLG community has pretty strict guidelines for game play, and tend to gravitate to arena style maps. I agree they all have a lot in common. But if you think those are the only maps around you aren't looking very hard.

I make competitive maps myself, but mine are more casual and meant to promote unique, and some times silly game play.

Here is a video of a map I am working on it is just starting the testing phase of development, so I have not released it yet. But I think you will see it has nothing in common with the maps you listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J-A5ZpFFn4

Darkstar, that is an awesome map, and your spacecraft is better than the one I made for Armored Strike. But what I would do is move the banshee base so it is farther from the destroyer and so they come in from directly in front of it. And also I'd make it so that there can be several banshees attacking at the same time, and there will always be a few waiting at the base so the team has them when they need them. This way, the attacking team can coordinate their formations and angles of attack. And too bad you cant use the broadsword in forge as another attack option.

Anyway, it is true that not all of the maps follow that cliche format, and there are some great ones out there, like yours and "The Trenches."But on the "Competitive Map Submissions" forum, you will quickly notice that the vast majority of those maps are arena style, and in addition to those there are several remakes from reach, leaving only a little room for different and creative maps.And also, I'm quite sure only a couple of the ones I showed you above were made for the MLGs. Not all of the arena maps are made for the MLGs (I hope), because, as little as I know about them, I doubt they need that many maps.

hey there friends! so i was reading the chats and i also think the competative maps are all similar. check out my file share and see my creations. some our genuinely cool others are remakes of old halo titles that i personally made just from memory. i love building interesting maps that have awesome i deas and little perks scattered through out. CHECK THEM OUT ! and like em if you like em lol. thanks

X