Halo 4 does require skill!

Delpen9

The only things preventing halo 4 from requiring skill are the dmr and the boltshot. If the dmr's rate of fire was decreased and the boltshot's range slightly decreased then the game would be perfectly skill based. Though this is true, I play mlg customs and when i go to matchmaking i get about 20 kills to 4 deaths a game. I used to play a lot of matchmaking when the game came out but i quickly realized that it wasnt great for developing individual skill(though i wasnt as good when the game first came out). what im saying is... dont play matchmaking and stick to customs- customs is how you get better and 85% of all players in matchmaking are try hard suck-a-lots that think there good until they get into a real game. this is exactly what happened to me, and since then i started playing customs more often and realized exactly how much better i could become.

IN MATCHMAKING during bad games(missing team members, bad team members, or other problems) i USED to get around 5 kills and 10 deaths. now i can pull off 10 kills and 6 deaths on bad games and even better! customs is where you need to go because matchmaking will rip yur shirt off and call yur mother.

customs- true skill

matchmaking- see how much you got better

(a rarely play matchmaking though)

So it has no skill huh.

Explain why I get over 30 kills occasionally in 4 different playlists then.

Well thats easy, you see...

anyway a lot of people are good att this game and kick butt when others cant get a kill so ya theres some skill there.

Well thats easy, you see...

anyway a lot of people are good att this game and kick butt when others cant get a kill so ya theres some skill there.

And get perfections? With a +20 K/D now and again?

Something tells me skill is needed lol

I can never find anyone willing to play competitive custom games. I've stated numerous times that I am a serious player with a will to improve. my gamertag is the same as my username so if anyone is up for customs that revolve around improving your skill as a player, then hit me up. I don't care if people are worse or better than me cuz I am not judgmental.

Nothing wrong with the DMR. Period. Never has been in this version. At least it's not hella broken like it was in Reach with that broke *** bloom.

I do agree that the skill requisites are tons lower mostly due to the back door skill system. Seems as though I either run against high 50s, where I get my butt caved in or against 2s where I'll go 25-2. Idiotic set up.

So it has no skill huh.

. in halo 4 invisble true skill could be that reason while he played by himself he would go 25 and 10 and ect but when he jumped in are party that was quickly changed to going negative every game. one time i even joined him and went 30 and 0 with a br. i beleive the game doesn't take as much skill as the other halo titles with lack of ranking system the theres hardly a skill gap ranging from players i think.

Do you five shot all the time? Something tells me you don't. (Because nobody does, because it takes skill.)

I kinda DO 5-shot all the time....

I'm not that good but it's not that hard. I obviously still lose fights plenty of the time but that tends to be because of things specific to the fight. I got pinged by a grenade or the other guy got behind cover just in time to avoid one of my shots or make me hesitate. When I lose DMR-only fights typically the other guy gets me in 5 shots just like I would have gotten him just a split second later. Once again I'm not that good, but since Halo 3 I've always played at a level where a sliver of a second makes the difference between winning and losing.

I do play the occasional game where someone's headbox just seems smaller, for example I played one where all the guys on the enemy team had the same strafe, basic until the final shot then jump. The weird thing is when someone is on the ground you can get a headshot by aiming at their neck, but in this particular game the jump saved them every time even though the reticule was at their neck when I fired. I blamed it on a bit of latency and moved on.

For me the problem with the DMR is specifically that I DO 5-shot much more easily than I used to 4-shot with a BR. That I know for damn sure. Even if I found a bunch of film of me failing to 5-shot over 10 games of Halo Reach or Halo 4, I could point to a lot more failures to 4-shot over 10 games of Halo 3. I also get 5-shotted a lot more often than I ever got 4-shotted. It's much easier to get the best performance out of a marksman rifle than it was previously.

So every fight gets won or lost on a tiny fraction of difference, and therefore even when I 5-shot someone first they landed 4 shots on me and now I'm one-shot for freaking 6 seconds. That's Halo 4 and Reach to a lesser extent, by slowing people down and making weapons take more shots to kill you make it less likely that a person can go from winning one fight right into another. They need breaks more often, which they don't get. It's just percentages. If you are doing 20% of a person's life with each shot and they are too, the fights will leave you worse off when they're close (Close = one more shot would have killed you, that means you're 80% dead by a 5sk weapon and 75% by a 4sk. That means 5sk weapons leave you weaker for your next fight)

These may seem like minor differences to some, but minor differences make all the difference in these games. There are no sharp drops or rises in numbers, like the difference between being shielded and not, they make the game different with lots of little nudges here and there. So we wait just a few seconds longer to get our shields back, but more of that time is spent one-shot than in previous Halos. The overall difference doesn't seem great, but it becomes huge when you nudge the number one way and nudge another the other way.

That's why carbines have always sucked, more shots to kill means more damage from each fight in addition to more chances to screw up. If you out-BR someone with a 4-shot BR that means you're AT WORST 25% further from death than they are, one good burst will still kill you, but you're not without your shields. If you out-carbine someone that has always meant you were AT WORST no-shields afterword. Even when it took 7 shots to kill the difference between weapons that make you one-shot THEN headshot you with their last shot and weapons that make you one-shot AND headshot you with their last shot favors the latter.

What I'm discussing isn't nearly as much of a reduction in the skill required as it is a reduction of the influence of skill though. 5-shotting with the DMR in Reach and Halo 4 is definitely easier than 4-shotting was with the BR in Halo 3, but the greater effect in both Reach and Halo 4 is that you can't keep fighting without a break. Skill still makes a lot of difference in 1v1s, but it makes a lot LESS difference after the first fair 1v1 because of the weapon designs and the rest of the game's design (6 seconds spent one-shot, instant respawns, no grenade pick-up without a perk, etc.).

That's why I keep saying this game is designed for you to get one kill then die. You can certainly beat the odds if you're good or lucky, but you can't deny that the odds are stacked in favor of that conclusion. The odds of winning multiple fights in this game are worse than they've been in any Halo game before this, and that isn't an accident. That is how 343 designed the game.

• Like 2

I stopped reading at:

"The only things preventing halo 4 from requiring skill are the dmr"

Do you five shot all the time? Something tells me you don't. (Because nobody does, because it takes skill.)

And at someone else's post, KDR really doesen't mean a whole lot.

The rate of fire is only to make it at the level of the other loadout weapons(primarely the br). the rate of fire,aim magnetism, range,and aim assist of the dmr will totally outplay the br in a 1v1 situation with people at the same skill level. The only thing going for the br is its spread. to tell you the truth, i do that well in matchmaking but in customs not so much. that slight screw-up with 1 shot with the br will get you killed. this in saying_ customs with good people will benefit much more than matchmaking. simple as that.... also, you shouldnt stop reading an article before it is finished because even if you dont like what is being written you might learn something in the process. - skill is much more than getting 5 headshots(or 4 body shots and a head shot), i would say that 75% of competitive play is based on POSITIONING with the rest being communication. focusing on one skillset while neglecting another is a lack of skill all on its own...

So it has no skill huh.

Like I wrote, matchmaking does require skill but it is harder to develop your skill through matchmaking. Customs is a more efficient way of homing your skills.

Nothing wrong with the DMR. Period. Never has been in this version. At least it's not hella broken like it was in Reach with that broke *** bloom.

I do agree that the skill requisites are tons lower mostly due to the back door skill system. Seems as though I either run against high 50s, where I get my butt caved in or against 2s where I'll go 25-2. Idiotic set up.

Bloom wasn't broken. You just couldn't adapt to the style of gameplay that the dmr required. Bloom was an automatic game function that really didn't make a difference because everyone had to deal with it.

It's almost impossible to go on ground based rampages like in halo 2 and 3 online in these newer games. Spartans are slower, and the map is cannot be predicted in the least thanks to ordanace and instant respawning.

It's what initiate was saying.

The skill gap is DEFINITELY smaller then it was in previous games. I could be johnny on the spot with the DMR, have 100 percent accuracy and movement, and still not be able to take 2 or 3 people that are just O.K. at the game, shooting in my general direction. In halo 2 and 3 you could pull off things like this and much much more if you had the ability to do so.

Pretty much anything takes skill. Theres plenty of people that cant play any FPS because well...they cant move the controller well enough lol. DMR imo does not require as much skill as some people make it out to believe, but thats me. If you really want to test your skill you would have to go into 1v1's and 2v2's.

It's almost impossible to go on ground based rampages like in halo 2 and 3 online in these newer games. Spartans are slower, and the map is cannot be predicted in the least thanks to ordanace and instant respawning.

It's what initiate was saying.

The skill gap is DEFINITELY smaller then it was in previous games. I could be johnny on the spot with the DMR, have 100 percent accuracy and movement, and still not be able to take 2 or 3 people that are just O.K. at the game, shooting in my general direction. In halo 2 and 3 you could pull off things like this and much much more if you had the ability to do so.

So let me get this straight... the game is less skillful because your not getting two kills instead of just one? I am seriously confused. If its harder to get two kills in a row than in previous games would that require a greater amount of skill for the player to accomplish than previous games? I seriously am having trouble following this logic....
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight... the game is less skillful because your not getting two kills instead of just one? I am seriously confused. If its harder to get two kills in a row than in previous games would that require a greater amount of skill for the player to accomplish than previous games? I seriously am having trouble following this logic....

unlike halo 3 and halo 2 there is alot more randomness and luck based gameplay now much much more of it which results in Not being such a big skill cap. in other games i could easly turn around out br 2-3 people at times in this game you can't you will kill one and have them spawn 10 inches from you to sprint to you and kill you. The Massive dmr hitbox allows them to hit 2-3 inches above my head and so they can kill me faster, and god drops them power weapons when it drops me needles gernades and speed boost.

• Like 1

As I recall from Ninja's game-play he is able to pull off several kills at a time without dying, mainly due to his POSITIONING and ability to coordinate his kills. If you guys are as great as you MAY slate to be then you would be able to adjust to this new form of game-play. As far as random ordnance goes, if you are as skilled as you say you MAY be then you could work around their power weapons with teamwork and tactics. This game surely is more tactical than the previous Halo's because I will admit that you are easier to kill and you can't rely on your shooting ability the entire game(well you can, but you wouldn't get very far). I will say that it is just as easy to kill in the past halo's as it is in this game. The skill gap is vary much there but a lot of the worst players in the game normally use the AR which is amazing in close range combat(that or stay in groups and spam grenades). Instant spawn is a game dynamic flaw that I can simply say is a screw-up on 343's part. I seriously hope they fix that in the next halo and it would be even better if done in an update.

Some people are just butt hurt because they can't walk out into the middle of the map and get two kills before they are team shot, no, you must be sneakier and pick off your kills or work as a team.

Not really, lets be honest the skill lvl's are not that high, the DMR in particular is insanely easy to use as are most unsc weapons.

I do not play swat that much but when i do I have to laugh at the ease of the game, I use it for pistol kills and its just funny sometimes.

Lets be honest, the standard guns do not require any major skill and then most power weapons have been dunbed down so a blindfolded monkey could use them.

I did not play much reach which meant no Halo between 3 and 4 yet I found getting positive very easy from the word go in this game (not something that I found so easy with 3 at the start), that is a sign of a game designed to be easy to play.

While I say this I accept that additional skill will help you be more positive but the gap has been reduced a lot, I play casually yet am consistently in the top 2 of my team, not because I have any great skill lvl, in reality the more skilled game types of FFA and Team Doubles are not in the game yet so my opinion may be warped a bit.

Battle rifle and assault rifle need to be less powerful

Battle rifle headshot breaks through shield and kills

Assault rifle is like a small saw gun

Really so in your opinion DMR is fine despite fastest kill time and top range and yet they need to nerf 2 lesser guns lol..

And after reading a few more posts I think people mix up skill and just plain experience (meaning knowing the basics), doing small things make big differences in Halo games and some know that and others do not. That is the major difference at the moment IMO.

Battle rifle and assault rifle need to be less powerful

Battle rifle headshot breaks through shield and kills

Assault rifle is like a small saw gun

The assualt rifle has a longer kill time than the dmr and the br. The only reason the ar gets kills is because at close range the dmr and br users cannot get straight headshots to prevent their death from the ar user. The br has a lower rate of fire, less aim assist, less aim magnetism, and less range that the dmr. The dmr should most definetly be nerfed because of all these benefits you get from using it. The battle rifle kills anyone at or below 20% shields hence the 3 bullet spread. this is an automatic game dynamic, and literally the only thing that is better than the dmr.