Forge from the "old days"

OMD Cookie

I tried to figure out why I like this forge so much, when so many people are complaining about it. I figured it out. I was one of the original forgers. I was there before halo 3 even had the heroic map pack. Before foundry, and it's mass of object and flat space, we were hard pressed to make something fun on Sandtrap, and yeah, we did it. The creation of foundry was a godsend to forgers like me. All that flat space, and the huge inventory, was new and exciting. Then came sandbox. If the foundry was a godsend, sandbox was like 3 of them. Even more space, a gigantic underground room, and a freaking skybox. That skybox was actually needed to make decent floating maps, cause that was before the days of even fixed item positions, let alone phased ones. Phasing objects was hell.

Then came Reach's forge. It was like nothing I've ever seen. Tons of open space that wasn't even needed. That's a key part. All the good maps were put into one section, and can easily be done in the maps we have in halo 4. Anyways, open space, and even bigger item list, freaking phased/floating objects. It was everything a classic forger could have asked for and more. There were things we didn't even think of implemented into it. Colored mongeese. Item colors at all. Advanced labels. This stuff was just crazy, and I loved it.

Now there's halo 4. They have magnets, which, used with rotation snap, can make really quick maps placeable in minutes, compared to what we would have to do in halo 3 for the same effect. There are even more objects than reach, when you include the map specific ones. Not only that, but the base game has 3 forge maps, each with their own set of objects, and an entirely different look to it. No longer is it gray all the time. Each map has an entirely unique feel. We've got Erosion, which basically has a coliseum, a natural area, which is fantastic, and a large open area that people will not admit exists. Just put down a floor over there, and you can build some pretty massive stuff. There's ravine, which has a nice grassy area, a very unique ravine (something I haven't seen done well in a game) and a forerunner building, if you want something done easily and fast. Finally, there's Impact. It's practically nothing but a large empty space, but you can still build something on the floating chunks if you want. The tunnel pieces unique to that map (i can't remember the name) allow for an easy modular build. That alone presents so many options, and people are just ignoring it. Again, put down a floor, and you've got tons of space to build on.

I think the key difference between people like me and the people finding all these things to complain about is this: we've gone through all the phases, all the way back to not having any of this, and we liked it. There was no room to fall for us, only room to grow, and grow it has. Halo 4's forge is amazing, if you just know how to use it. Anyone who disagrees should see the remake of my old halo 3 gametype I did. Everyone who's played it so far likes it.

Custom games is another story. A lot of that has been botched, I will admit.

• Like 3

The system has improved yes, but the locations have not. These are all visually appealing, but if you were trying to make a good Btb map, it much harder.

You talk about how good maps in Reach used 1 area. Yes, most good maps were like this, but many great maps used 1/2 or 1 1/2 of areas. Most maps I saw on Reach were in the air, in quarry, or in the canyon (with next most on island). Some of the best maps used the cliffs, or part of the island, not the entire thing.

The forge areas are great-looking and good for smaller maps, but there will be too much repetition for btb maps.

That's not another story. That is the story. Custom games have been botched. What good is forge without the custom games to be played on the forged maps?

Well, it means if they fix custom games, even just back up to reach's standards, then it's a massive improvement overall. Very little work actually needs to be done to forge itself.

• 10 months later...

Forge was at its best in Halo 3, when the developers actually understood that a good forge map needs to be completely featureless.

If your saying that Forge Mode was the best in Halo 3, while I respect your opinion, I disagree. Halo Reach Had the best forge mode. It hade EVERYTHING Halo 3's forge had, plus Fixed/phased objects, custom colors for objects, precision editing, rotation snaps, a bigger and better list of items and what-not... Halo 4 improved upon Reachs forge but it removed Precision editing and quite a few other things, so it is actually either classified as worse or equal to Halo Reach.

But what I think you actually meant was that Halo 3 had the best Forge MAPS. Right? Like Foundry, Sandbox, etc.

The forge maps [in Halo 3] were the best, i agree..but i for one do not miss having to manualy interlock..that got frustrating really fast..

Think about what you just said, you had lower standarts in Halo 3, you thought a maze inside a big box (foundry) was amazing back then (or a blank canvas with no terrain at all). but if you objectively look at it now its nothing near the amazing forge of Reach and H4. Its just the nostalgia factor that lets you think that they were "the best". It was great for that time but if you play H3 customs without having it ever played before you think its lagginess sucks and the possibilities are limited. Thats the problem with our community at the moment.. Our judgement is distorted by nostalgia

edit: yes its an old post but it still applies

• Like 1

I have to say that Halo 4 has the best forge maps. You've got a large open space on Impact to build whatever the heck you want, while you can also take advantage of nature features on Ravine. Erosion has a variety of environments merged into one map, and Forge Island has four different glitch areas that encourage creativity. You can build a map up in the sky, on the water, inside the islands, or even underwater in a certain area! I for one absolutely love forge in Halo 4, magnets and lack of precision editing and all. The other forges are not as fun to use, since Halo 3's was originally intended to be used for minor edits and Reach's was not aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 1

I have to say that Halo 4 has the best forge maps. You've got a large open space on Impact to build whatever the heck you want, while you can also take advantage of nature features on Ravine. Erosion has a variety of environments merged into one map, and Forge Island has four different glitch areas that encourage creativity. You can build a map up in the sky, on the water, inside the islands, or even underwater in a certain area! I for one absolutely love forge in Halo 4, magnets and lack of precision editing and all. The other forges are not as fun to use, since Halo 3's was originally intended to be used for minor edits and Reach's was not aesthetically pleasing.

Halo reach had the best forge maps by far you had the huge canvas of options called forge world. :thumbsup:  

This video explains all the problems of halo 4 forge though 

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKMaKVDEBqoY&ei=W4hbUryjGISi0QXm2IGYCg&usg=AFQjCNH46SZLADNHXyEBE9jdXSjAE1_wbg&bvm=bv.53899372,d.d2k

Halo reach had the best forge maps by far you had the huge canvas of options called forge world. :thumbsup:  

This video explains all the problems of halo 4 forge though 

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKMaKVDEBqoY&ei=W4hbUryjGISi0QXm2IGYCg&usg=AFQjCNH46SZLADNHXyEBE9jdXSjAE1_wbg&bvm=bv.53899372,d.d2k

While Forge World is amazing, I like Halo 4's forge maps more. Sure, they don't provide as much freedom as Forge World, but each map provides their own unique set of pieces as well as a default structure set. If you die somehow in Forge World while building something, it takes a little while to get back to where you were working unless you put a respawn point nearby. Halo 4's maps are smaller, so you won't waste as much time in transport, except on Forge Island.

With Forge World, its structure pieces fall short. Each piece is grey, and when you start building, it's all grey. Each block is grey upon grey with a bit of blue glass, and a slight change in colour around said blue glass if you change its colour. So if you build a giant castle and walk around inside, it'll be grey unless you add lighting.

Structure pieces in Halo 4 are more colourful, and have a variety of textures to them, with some circuitry in certain pieces and stripes that change colour. They just look more vibrant. Magnets make building somewhat easier, although 343 didn't use the skeleton of some pieces to find the exact centre. Instead, they eyeballed some, which can be remedied by editing coordinates or with a bit of eyeballing on your own.

I guess I've adapted to Halo 4's forge, flaws and all. But don't forget a little saying that goes "different strokes for different blokes".

• Like 1

While Forge World is amazing, I like Halo 4's forge maps more. Sure, they don't provide as much freedom as Forge World, but each map provides their own unique set of pieces as well as a default structure set. If you die somehow in Forge World while building something, it takes a little while to get back to where you were working unless you put a respawn point nearby. Halo 4's maps are smaller, so you won't waste as much time in transport, except on Forge Island.

With Forge World, its structure pieces fall short. Each piece is grey, and when you start building, it's all grey. Each block is grey upon grey with a bit of blue glass, and a slight change in colour around said blue glass if you change its colour. So if you build a giant castle and walk around inside, it'll be grey unless you add lighting.

Structure pieces in Halo 4 are more colourful, and have a variety of textures to them, with some circuitry in certain pieces and stripes that change colour. They just look more vibrant. Magnets make building somewhat easier, although 343 didn't use the skeleton of some pieces to find the exact centre. Instead, they eyeballed some, which can be remedied by editing coordinates or with a bit of eyeballing on your own.

I guess I've adapted to Halo 4's forge, flaws and all. But don't forget a little saying that goes "different strokes for different blokes".

Halo Reach's Forge pallet became an eye sore after a year. Grey, grey, grey, blue, grey