How to Play War Games with a 4gb Console

DerpWithAGun

You might want to clarify that by stating "USB memory stick" instead of just a "USB"

USB is just the type of connector, not the memory unit itself.

Nitpicking aside, yes - this is a great way to solve this issue. May be worth upgrading your xbox hard drive eventually as they're selling pretty cheap right now.

EDIT: I hereby request this to be pinned. The usefulness of this guide may help many people.

• Like 1

I cant tell if i'm being trolled.. maybe im too nice of a person :blushing:

Hello to all members,

I've seen on the internet lately that people are quite frustrated that you will need 8gb of free space to play War Games in Halo 4. Such as myself, I have a 4gb Xbox 360 slim, which I kinda modded so that the my old Xbox FAT Hard drive could fit inside my slim. That's beside the point, here is an easy trick to play War Games with a 4gb console.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How-To

1. Go to an electronics store or digital device store (place that sells TVs, DVD recorders, Computers, ect) and buy a USB Memory Stick (Also known as a Universal Serial Bus)

2. Make sure the USB Memory Stick has a memory of 16gb. A 16gb USB Memory Stick is relatively cheap nowadays. In Australia they cost about 17 dollars.

3. Plug it into your xbox via the USB ports on the front or back of the console, and turn on your Xbox.

4. Press the home button, keep pressing RB until you reach the last tab, which should be settings.

5.Go into System Settings

6.Now go into Storage.

7. A list of all your storage devices will show up. The USB Memory Stick you just purchased should show up also, but you will not be able to use it yet.

8. Go to your device, it should be named "Memory Unit" and instead of pressing A, press Y. A list of options should show up.

9. Select "Format Device". You will now be prompted to select the amount of storage on the USB Memory Stick that will be reserved for Xbox memory.

10. After selecting, (make sure it's above 10 GB) your console will now do it's thing and convert the USB Memory Stick Memory Stick for you. Now, when you run Halo 4 and it asks you to instal the 8gb for War Games, choose the Memory Unit which you just formatted!

Now you may experience the epicness of Halo 4's War Games!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE: If you remove the USB Memory Stick from your xbox, you will no longer be able to access War Games and it will ask you to instal the 8gb again, but if you plug it back in, it'll work again. Also, you can only format 16gb at a time. If you use a 32gb USB memory stick, it will only allow you to format 16gb. It may be useful to buy a second 16gb or even just an 8gb stick so that you are guaranteed enough space to download and save the Spartan Ops episodes and the War Games DLC when it releases.

That's the easiest and most affordable way to play War Games with a 4gb console. I already have my USB ready for when Halo 4 hits the shelves!

I was never taught cursive, can someone decode it into print?

You should note that you do not have to go about it this way (as people will need to have a memory stick or spend more money). Make it clear that they do not have to have all these GB's, they can play on the 2 separate discs that come with Halo 4. You put in the campaign for campaign, and the multiplayer disc for multiplayer, however if they want to access multiiplayer from the campaign disc, then they can utilize this alternative. I personally am not going to lash out extra money for more memory when I can just use the disc that is needed to play. I don't mind switching discs, that takes like 3 seconds out of my day. Now if you have an extra memory stick laying around, sure. But don't go waste money on a memory stick to incorporate multiplayer on he campaign disc if you're not that lasy as to just change out discs. I will change them out based on what I feel like playing. Not a big deal.

No, you can't just switch discs to play multiplayer. Believe me I tried. The only option that shows up to is to install disc 2 and when I back out of that the only thing that shows up is Failed to install and please insert play disc. The question is, why does Microsoft and 343 feel the need to screw us over by requiring you to install an 8 GB download when not all Xbox 360 systems can handle that out of the box? Especially given that other games in the FPS genre (I'm looking at Call of Duty which releases another title next week and is therefore competition and the previous Halo games) can do it on one disc! Better yet, why do they feel the need for 2 discs in the first place? Or how can you play Mass Effect 3's multiplayer without having to make a 8 GB download regardless of which disc is in?

There is no reason why the multiplayer should have to be downloaded. There is no reason why the multiplayer should be on a separate disc to begin with. I'm taking my Limited Edition of Halo 4 back to the store and I will never EVER play this game again because I am not going to support a game that is so overly demanding on my system for no reason whatsoever. I'll go back to playing Halo Reach which I can play without having to download a 8 GB multiplayer add-on.

And for those of you that think that this is not a big deal, this is a HUGE deal that everyone should be vocal about. If every game started having parts of it that couldn't be played without a multi-GB download/add-on, imagine how much space your hard drive is going to lose. This is not a post-release add-on either, but an integral part of the game. A part of the game that should be on the PLAY disc. Other FPS and TPS games can make the core game onto one disc, why can't 343?

And just so that it is known, this is not in anyway a anti-Halo post. I preordered the limited edition of Halo 4 and have spent many hours on Halo, 2, 3, ODST and Reach. I would have loved to play this game, but what's the point of owning a game I can't fully enjoy.

I have a 4gb usb stick and a 4gb xbox, can i combine the two. And also i dontu nderstand why so much is required to install disc 2 if when your on the disc one and you click on wargames it tells you to install dic two OR get it form the marketplace which is free, and it says it only takes up 1.95gb, so is it still the same thing? It says it is im confused please help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the 360 Slim 360 4gb console without a harddrive in it. I just bought Halo and Halo 2 from Best Buy, and the cashier guy told me he was 90% sure that you need a 250 gig harddrive inside the console in order to play original Xbox games. Before I open them up, I wanna know for sure because I can still return them if they are unopened.

• Like 1

Every single time I restart my xbox it makes me reinstall the multiplayer to my flash drive.

I suppose this is because I'm using a 8gb flash drive and not a 16gb? Don't really understand why this happens, I had to reinstall it twice to the flash drive to just to find out it happened again next time I restarted. I don't understand how I can install it and play multiplayer for hours, but shutting off my xbox makes me have to reinstall disc 2 again -_-