Why is there still a concussion rifle?

Flippant Sol

it may have been good for crowd control and we all know it was good at making vehicles do flips but it wasn't a good weapon for much else, and it seems like a terrible fit for the rest of the halo 4 weapons it doesn't seem right. like all these promethean guns. the concussion rifle hardly felt great for reach.

It serves its purpose, both as a crowd control and vehicle-disabler as above mentioned and a powerful short-range tool. If you're attacked by someone with a melee weapon or shotgun at close range and you have a concussion rifle you can just lay into them and the continuing blind/stun/knockback will kill them before they can get close enough. Personally, though, I'd also love the Brute Shot to compliment the Sticky Detonator, seeing as they're both explosives.

No brutes so no brute shot. The Concussion rifle is the equivalent of the shotgun and scatter shot essentially in Halo 4.

As far as in Reach...well the plasma launcher was more useless...the focus rifle was useless after the update...the concussion rifle was a good crowd control weapon, it was good against vehicles, and it was great against the sword or hammer. I personally love the concussion rifle on maps like countdown (small and balanced).

@tool: No kidding...thats what I stated in my first sentence, I also stated that because the Brute shot is out, it is the closest equivalent to the shotgun and scattershot. There are essentially a weapon for each faction (Rocket Launcher, Fuel Rod, Incineration Cannon...DMR/BR, Carbine, Light Rifle...Sniper, Beam Rifle, Binary Rifle...Shotgun, Concussion Rifle, Scattershot) get my point?

I thought that 343i understood that people don't like the concussion rifle. Most people found the concussion rifle to be the most useless weapon in Halo: Reach. Why would it ever be more useful this time, in Halo 4?

I like it. It is like the brute shot and it is fun to use against warthogs and mongooses.

• Like 1

Fillin the hole the Brute Shot left. They're practically the same, and tho i like both, i prefer the BS. But wth the Concussion Rifle is still pretty sweet for gettin away and sendin away.

@tool: No kidding...thats what I stated in my first sentence, I also stated that because the Brute shot is out, it is the closest equivalent to the shotgun and scattershot. There are essentially a weapon for each faction (Rocket Launcher, Fuel Rod, Incineration Cannon...DMR/BR, Carbine, Light Rifle...Sniper, Beam Rifle, Binary Rifle...Shotgun, Concussion Rifle, Scattershot) get my point?

I miss the Mauler as the shotty equivalent. And i think the Brute Shot and Concussion Rifle are closer to the new Railgun. 343 said it would be similar to the bs

I enjoy the concussion rifle a lot in matchmaking. Like others have said, it is a great crowd control weapon, but it is also fun to use for "concussion jumping". Nothing beats seeing a player flying across a section of a map, or reaching a hiding spot with the concussion rifle, but that's just my opinion on it.

You have to look past weapons as just mearly tools, and look.at the story and why we have the weapon.set we do. This particular Old Covenant.faction we are facing predates the events of Reach and therefore places the weapon sets slightly askew from what we saw in any Halo title before. Weapons like the Focus rifle and Needle Rifle were likely created or produced somewhere between the events of Of post Harvest and pre Reach. It is unclear how long this faction of Covies has been in.deep space, but it is quite clear that they have no knowledge of the events we have seen in previous games. Going by that alone, it is easy to theorize that this alone is why we have the particular weapons we have.

Brutes likely created the maulers and brute shots to rival what the Sanghelli had in terms of firepower. Without their presence in the ancient covie factions and in this newest year of events it only makes sense that their weapons, as well.as certain covie ones make an appearance.

• Like 1

Concussion Rifle (From gameplay we've seen so far) doesn't send vehicles flying like how it used to, so maybe 343i have done some tweaking to make it a "better" weapon. It seems to be more effective and powerful, at least. Although I never really minded it. Anyway, if you don't know what I'm talking about just watch the Concussion Rifle part of the Covenant Weapons Trailer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NLJpTXOtU&feature=my_watch_later_videos&list=WL067638453648EA59

It's not the weapon that does less damage to vahicles, it's the vehicle itself that has been modified to cut down on the actual physics response. Weapon have what we call an "Acceleration Scale". This controlls how much force a projectile or object has on an opposing object. Then we have what is called a "Physics Response". A physics response tells the object how it will react. Should it roll like a sphere, or roll like a block, or should it be launched by the acceleration scale factor in relative proportion to the object mass. Yadda yadda.

So basically all I am saying is this: They didn't lower the amount of force the Concussion Rifle has, they simply increased the mass of the vehicle and tones down it's wacky and extremely high physics responses, which is what we saw in Reach. Now that's not to say that any other heavy weapon WON'T have such an effect, but at least as far the Concussion Rifle weapon is concerned...they made it react different to it.

• Like 1

I think the Concussion Rifle should be deemed the most awkward weapon in Halo.

If you're in a vehicle, it sends you flying, but it hardly ever does enough damage to kill you. It just does enough to literally concuss you, where teammates can finish you off once vehicle-less. It takes 2 direct bursts to kill, but normally takes 4, 5, or even the whole clip depending on where you're firing from and if there are nearby walls to ricochet the damage.

I hope that in Halo 4, it has more damaging bursts instead of acting like a divided-by-zero bubble-gun.

Awkward.

I love the concussion rifle. I like to use it if I can get my hands on it. Its a great weapon to use. Allot of people don't know how to use it. So naturally, they don't like it.

Agreed. It's naturally the power weapon on Countdown, which is when I always make sure to have one.

Otherwise, if someone flips my Hog when I'm on a Road Rage in BTB, I get PISSED.

I love the concussion rifle. I like to use it if I can get my hands on it. Its a great weapon to use. Allot of people don't know how to use it. So naturally, they don't like it.

That's true, I know a lot of people that got mad using it because whenever they'd shoot someone with it, they'd go flying and they wouldn't be able to hit them again -_- No weapon is "bad", you just need to learn how to use it. Some more than others.