FUGravity

rozzle

This is an almost symmetrical small map. It floats slightly above the ground but if you fall to the ground you die. Compatible with slayer and territories. No custom gametype. Recommended player count: 10-16

gamertag: Rozzle5

screenshot:

post-1-0-74735300-1347397521_thumb.jpg

map: http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/haloreach/rozzle5/fileshare#!/?section=MapVariants&MapId=&GameMode=0&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&tags=&startIndex=0&details=29623141

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a good try, and not a completely horrible map, but you need to fix the following things.

1. The initial spawns are pointing at each other and are within view of each other.

2. The map is small. Very small. Beef it up just a tad, move the spawns a bit farther apart.

3. Add a bit more cover for red team. They are rather exposed.

I have seen worse.

• Like 1

Alright, I'm not going to be brash and blunt about this like a few other posters were. You're not alone bro. When I first started using Forge when Halo Derp first came out, all of my maps were VERY BASIC. I had no forging skills whatsoever, so they all looks much like what you have here.

But this is a start. It's a pretty basic symmetrical layout you have going on, good for 2v2 at the most. But it could use quite a bit more to it. Instead of using the buildings that you're already given as your main bases for each team, fool around a bit with the different shapes and blocks that you have available to give you some sort of idea for a base. Take the map that I posted up for example, Regenesis: http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/14501-regenesis/. Red base was created entirely out of 3x4 blocks and Y-shaped landing platforms, as well as a few decorative pieces. It doesn't need to be complex, it can be as simple as having an area of blocks for the floor, and maybe some walls and struts to give the base some kind of structure. From there, you can add onto it however you see fit.

As for the layout of the map, I'd suggest perhaps expanding it a little bit, adding some extra pathways between each base and a main floor, or "killing grounds." And this is a must for all competitive maps with bases, there should be at least three or four different ways in and out of the bases. That way, there's an even balance of exits so people can make a quick getaway if they ever become spawn trapped.

Also, make sure you have designated spawn zones for each team, otherwise you'll have reds spawning in blue base directly behind a group of blues, and no one wants that on a symmetrical 4v4 competitive map. Not only that, but you need to make sure there's an ample amount of cover for people to hide behind in order to regenerate their shields. I can see you have some cover, but it's not enough for a symmetrical map.

And then there's the spawning. Make sure that when you're making a symmetrical map, that when you put down initial spawns you don't have a direct line of sight of the other teams initial spawn. You need to have some kind of structure between red and blue initial spawns so that there's at least three to four seconds of "no contact" at the start of the round before either team will see each other. On top of that, make sure you have AT LEAST 120 spawn points on the map, and equally spread out between both sides of the map.

But overall, this is a good start to a very basic beginners map. Once you become accustomed to the full extent of the mechanics of Forge, you'll be forging HUGE close quarters maps, moderate sized enclosed maps, and very tight open-air maps. If you take the advice given to you here and by others, then you should have no problem turning this map into the latest matchmaking worthy competitive map. But my advice to you is to take it slooooooow. A "map" is created by those who are not very familiar with the mechanice of Forge and throw a variety of random objects on the canvas, add a few spawns and set the kill zones and safe zones, and that's that. A good map is created by those who know how to work with the mechanics of Forge, and take the time to really understand what's what and where to put certain things to make the map, as well as put in some effort and time to make the map nice and organized. A great map is created by those who are very familiar with the mechanics of forge, and take a large amount of time and patience to really make the map look the way they really envisioned it to look like, while still taking enough time and effort to make the map functional, balanced and very effective at making a game of slayer...a great game of slayer.

Meh, sorry for the tl;dr. I just thought I'd let you know what you really need to do to make this map of yours really work the way you envisioned it to be. "I used to be a forger like you...then I caught the forge epidemic." Seriously, I wasn't much of a forger until a year after Halo Derp came out. And since I'm a perfectionist, I put a lot of time into getting familiar with the mechanics of Forge, and an equal amount of time and patience into making my maps the way I envisioned them to be. I once spent at least 3 months on one map in Forge World before finishing it and called it Terminal 4. But...the next day when I went to go fix something, it had magically been overwritten by a default Battle Canyon map. So, the Forge World map I spent a great amount of time and care to getting just right was magically turned into a Battle Canyon map...luckily, I had an earlier save of the map with the basic layout of it already done, so I started back up on that about 4 months ago and have been slowly and patiently working on it since. All I need now is the spawn points.

So you see, all it takes is time and patience to make the next matchmaking map. You have what it takes to make this map the next matchmaking worthy map. All you need to do is get accustomed to forge, and really spend a lot of time on this map. Again, time, effort, and patience is the key to making a great map. Put that into a map, and you've become a legit forger.

• Like 2