Halo 4: A Quick Word on Forge Maps in MM

SatanicBagels

Are you OK with including Forged Maps in H4's War Games  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of maps do you want included in War Games?

• Non-forged original maps
    • Forged Remakes of old Halo Maps.
    • Original Forged maps not based off of older Halo maps.

I consider myself to be all pro originality when it comes to Halo 4 multiplayers maps. I love seeing new maps like Longbow and Wraparound. I am excited to see which maps from Halo 4 will be able to squeeze into the group of legendary maps from Halo's past. Which maps from Halo 4 will be compared with fantastic maps like Lockout, Midship, Blood Gulch, and The Pit. This prospect is one of my favorite parts of a new Matchmaking.

However, this brings up an important point. What role should Forged maps play in War Games. Halo Reach shipped out with a bunch of forged maps right of the bat. The Cage, Pinnicle, Paradiso, and Hemophrage, to name a few. All of these maps had flaws in their own way and didn't live up to expectations.

So what maps from Halo 4's Forge should be brought into War Games if at all. I myself believe that the only maps that have any place being included in MM are original maps or Forged remakes of only the select few elite multiplayer maps from Halo's past. Maps like lockout, not new map designs and layouts like paradiso should be forged and put into War Games.

What are the thoughts of the 343 industries community forum on this subject? Are you guys fine with seeing Forge maps included in Matchmaking? How many are you okay with? If they include any remakes of old Halo maps which ones would you like to see included?

-SweatyBagels-

• Like 1

got to go with brand new one of the great things about the original 3 games was the amount of new maps that made for good times and created nostalgia when playing them again. no one will remember swordbase or powerhouse in 3 years time. sandtrap lockout bloodgulch and last resort are timeless hope halo 4 has maps that bring that feeling to it.

They should have a separate Gametype of only forged maps. They should have monthly submissions but submitters have to sacrifice some credits to submit a map, so they get maps from the people who are serious and believe their maps have a chance. If the map is selected for multiplayer, then the creator should be rewarded with a bonus of way more credits than they put in.

• Like 3

Provided that the maps are well-designed and balanced, I'm completely indifferent as to whether they're made in Forge or via level geometry. They've said it's going to be all new maps, and so it's unlikely that there'll be any old maps remade in Forge, at least to begin with. I'm sure we'll see Forge remakes at the very least in the community, and if we get more community cartographers they'll make their way into a Matchmaking playlist eventually.

i dont like all the forge maps that are used in reach because they all have the same building style and environment. If you could change the forge structures to look like human or covenant styles, that would keep things more interesting and fresh

I do somewhat agree here. While I believe that map layout and design trumps aesthetics 99 times out of 100, It is annoying that all the forged maps from Halo Reach had the exact same look. Perhaps they could eliminate this problem by providing several different choosable skins and textures for objects. Instead of having a bland floating forerunner map... they could introduce a cool covenant purple style floating map.

They should have a separate Gametype of only forged maps. They should have monthly submissions but submitters have to sacrifice some credits to submit a map, so they get maps from the people who are serious and believe their maps have a chance. If the map is selected for multiplayer, then the creator should be rewarded with a bonus of way more credits than they put in.

I completely agree with this statement 1000000%. My only problem with what was done in H3 and Halo Reaches take on this idea is that the standards were not nearly as high as they should have been. In order for a map to make it into this playlist it should have to be absolutely positively flawless. It should have to undergo many many hours of playtesting to make sure that it can pass the standards of your standard Halo gamer in all major catagories.

we need to have a mix of forge and unforged, to show they are staying true to their own maps, but they are open to the community.

I do agree that forged maps need to be present in War Games. But where and what they should be included in is the real question. Should they be found in standard Team Slayer and Big Team Battle. Or should they be found in seperate forge only playlists. My main problem with Reaches forged maps was that there was so many of them (Pinnicle, Paradiso, The Cage, Asylum, Hemophrage), and only a very small few of them I liked in any way shape or form.

~SweatyBagels~

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

we need to have a mix of forge and unforged, to show they are staying true to their own maps, but they are open to the community.

My thoughts exactly. Although I understand the concern that Sweatybagels brings up, I think that the presence of forge maps (even though they may not be re-creation forge maps) should be within matchmaking. Even if they are in a seperate playlist, I still see the validity of their presence. To be honest, this is just another great aspect that Halo possess, but that all other FPSs lack. When we get a playlist update, and a ton of community maps are added, heck, it's a little like getting a free map pack. I understand that yes, they're not all "home-run" maps, and I do hope 343 does extensive testing on all applications before they are entered into War Games, but I love having an added variety. Perhaps it's just me, but I tend to get bored with most regular FPS games, simply because the gameplay on the maps just seems to become extensively repetitive (atleast for me). With Halo: Reach, I might at one point get tired of the maps, stop playing, and come back the next month to find a whole new set of maps I've never seen. For me, that's one of the reasons Reach is great and why it stands out from most other FPS games. Well, that's my two cents...

I'm along the same thought lines of having separate playlists. If forge maps do come into play at some point it should be the players choice to play on them or specifically on original in game maps. Because sometimes I really am just looking for the Reach maps or just looking for the Forged maps. So if this could be implemented that would be sweet. :thumbsup:

I personally am not a fan of community made forge maps or really even officially made forge maps...I prefer original maps. If forge maps are brought in, I hope they are in their own playlist so they are not mixed in with the rest of the maps. If you wanna play forge maps, play in the forge map playlists, if you dont, than play in the other playlists, simple as that.

• 3 months later...