Huge armor in Halo Reach

Ridistyrin

I was playing some Reach and in most of the games i played there were players with huge shoulder pads and chest pieces and i was just wondering why do so many people wear huge armor in Reach. It just gives the enemy a bigger target . Yeah you look awesome but is it really that necessary?

I was playing some Reach and in most of the games i played there were players with huge shoulder pads and chest pieces and i was just wondering why do so many people wear huge armor in Reach. It just gives the enemy a bigger target . Yeah you look awesome but is it really that necessary?

Well, none of it's really necessary. You could play with default armour and perform exactly the same in combat.

I think maybe part of it's a psychological thing - you see someone all done out like that, with bulky armour and extra knives hanging off their shoulders charging towards you, and it's intimidating. They just look more dangerous and I think a lot of players sort of cramp up and play more cautiously as a response, which in turn increases the chance of them getting killed. Pure speculation of course, but I know I'm more hesitant when being shot by someone with armour like that than just default kit.

It also might throw someone's aim off a little. They're so bulky that opponents take shots thinking their bloom has shrunk so it only fits across the body, when in fact it's expanded beyond it. Basically opponents rush shots and miss more, giving them an advantage: hitbox size is wholly unaffected.

• Like 4

I wanted to cover my left side in armor, as that is the side I present to my enemy, and the extra bit on top made me use the grenadier varient that unlocks at general. My right on the other hand usually has sniper or goold old fashioned stock mark V

I only have one big piece of armor and it's a shoulder. But I HATE seeing people with extremely bulky armor, the skull helmets? They don't even look SPARTAN anymore! In the campaign, you seriously see under the peices, it just bothers me how they kinda float.

And no, this does not effect hit-nox whatsoever. It just looks funny. In a bad way! Imagine seeing an already humongous 8 foot tall guy, even BIGGER?

Yeah.

I know right?

All the huge bulky armor shows is that you've played the game a lot, and spent the credits on the most expensive stuff. In my opinion, it doesn't look good at all. Huge shoulder pads? No thanks. Give me the ODST shoulders anyday. More realistic looking and would give better actual protection without a loss in mobility, if these items were affected in the least (yes, I know they are not).

Who really cares, its peoples personal preference?

Some players go for a unique look, and more the bigger armor is unlocked at higher levels. So why not show what you unlocked while everybody's character is still simple?

No Elites do not carry the same hitboxes as the spartans. Their posture and geometry is at base far different and could not even begin to match the collision area that a spartan has. Remember halo 3 and Halo 2, how some angles of the headshots would not register for elites, but instead would pass thru at the neckline? Had that been a spartan instead, the shot would of went right thru the forehead. Different physics and collision models for both, same a Reach. However, I do think that armor or biped permutations should use a more rigid collision model than one type. Fact is, if you want to wear big bulky armor or spend money on all that extra stuff, you should have to deal with the "making yourself a bigger target" scenario as well. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1