Will there be a Halo 2 Remake?

I'm pretty sure there won't be a remake of Halo 2. The only reason there was a remake of Halo CE is because that is Halo's first game, and it hits it's 10 year mark. If they make a remake for the second game then they might as well do it for all of them.

• Like 1

MS put out CEA to make money, the celebration was the excuse and it was a good excuse.

CE owed thanks to Marathon so it's not truly the first in anything

H2 is the only Halo game not on Live.

Once H2 is remade, there's no need to remake them all (see my third point).

H2 will celebrate it's 10 year anniversary in Nov of 2014.

H2 allowed MS to dominate online gaming.

Live today owes thanks to H2.

MS needs to fix the screen shadow problem with the emulator.

The xbox 360 will have it's 10 years coming up just after H2's so the marketing will be phenomenal.

MS will make a boatload of money.

I'd say there are a lot of reasons to remake H2.

MS put out CEA to make money, the celebration was the excuse and it was a good excuse.

CE owed thanks to Marathon so it's not truly the first in anything

H2 is the only Halo game not on Live.

Once H2 is remade, there's no need to remake them all (see my third point).

H2 will celebrate it's 10 year anniversary in Nov of 2014.

H2 allowed MS to dominate online gaming.

Live today owes thanks to H2.

MS needs to fix the screen shadow problem with the emulator.

The xbox 360 will have it's 10 years coming up just after H2's so the marketing will be phenomenal.

MS will make a boatload of money.

I'd say there are a lot of reasons to remake H2.

1. Marathon isn't an exact prequel to Halo. It it seemed to so acutally CE is the first HALO.

2. Halo 2 didn't dominate anything because at the same time Treyarch was creating CoD games.

3. By the year 2014, xbox will already have a new console, so it wont matter about 360.

1. Marathon isn't an exact prequel to Halo. It it seemed to so acutally CE is the first HALO.

2. Halo 2 didn't dominate anything because at the same time Treyarch was creating CoD games.

3. By the year 2014, xbox will already have a new console, so it wont matter about 360.

Marathon lead to Halo so every game owes to games before it, Halo didn't just pop out of the air.

Nope, Halo 2 was the most dominant game around at the time, no question about it.

They haven't announced when the new console will come out and it's not like the 360 will vanish overnight. MS can squeeze a lot of money off an H2 anniversary advertising coupled with the 360 tenure.

Still looks like a whole lot of reasons to remake it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, if they made Anniversary, why not Halo 2 Anniversary? was it ugly? NO. Was it a flop? NO. Was it cool? YES. Was it the king of live for a loong time? YES.

In my opinion, in 2014 they'll surely make it. And if they don't......VIVA LA HALO-LUTION! :bananachief:

Id love for a halo 2 remake but I don't want to make 343i feel bullied into making it, I don't mind if they don't do it. It was the first game played on my 360 and there's alot of nostalgia to it.

A remake of it would be kool, because the younger generation finally got to find out what truly kicked off the halo obsession with CEA so a halo 2 remake would be logical.

The emulation side is still a big issue. Halo 2's version of Blam! and the tag architecture was the only title that I know of, to take a drastic change in the layout and was truly unique amongst the titles. halo 3, ODST and reach all went back to the similar tagging of CE. In order to do a proper remake like CEA, the emulation would need to be updated, and coded to run along side the same or similar version of the modified reach engine CEA used. Live has changed far too much since Halo 2, and because Halo 2 had Live incorporated into it, it would take a lot more to make "Today's Live" ready.

CE did not have live and only a basic metcode model to utilize. It was easy to write compared to changing the whole game by trying to modify already engine dependent Live code. If a Halo 2 remake were to happen, expect the development time for it to exceed 3 years at a minimum.

The emulation side is still a big issue. Halo 2's version of Blam! and the tag architecture was the only title that I know of, to take a drastic change in the layout and was truly unique amongst the titles. halo 3, ODST and reach all went back to the similar tagging of CE. In order to do a proper remake like CEA, the emulation would need to be updated, and coded to run along side the same or similar version of the modified reach engine CEA used. Live has changed far too much since Halo 2, and because Halo 2 had Live incorporated into it, it would take a lot more to make "Today's Live" ready.

CE did not have live and only a basic metcode model to utilize. It was easy to write compared to changing the whole game by trying to modify already engine dependent Live code. If a Halo 2 remake were to happen, expect the development time for it to exceed 3 years at a minimum.

It didn't take Bungie 3 years to make Halo 2 in the first place. The majority of the work is still there, 343 just has to rewrite, not invent the wheel again.

Grumpy...first off dev time took nearly 3 years of the whole team. You may want to go back and watch a few VidOCs. Im assuming youve never been part of a coding or.true development team, if you think its simlle to just rewrite hundreds of thousands of lines of base code to become.compliant with API in use on the console. 343 themselves even stated that redoing even Halo 1 to have mm like halo 2, and above would have taken the team 2 years alone.

• Like 3

Grumpy...first off dev time took nearly 3 years of the whole team. You may want to go back and watch a few VidOCs. Im assuming youve never been part of a coding or.true development team, if you think its simlle to just rewrite hundreds of thousands of lines of base code to become.compliant with API in use on the console. 343 themselves even stated that redoing even Halo 1 to have mm like halo 2, and above would have taken the team 2 years alone.

Yup, it's a rewrite, none of the development time, no story line development, no artwork development...just make the damned thing compatible with the current Live servers. It's a lot of work but MS has the people, there's plenty of time. To people who know what they are doing, it is a simple rewrite, that's what they are paid to do. Just because I can't do it does not mean it's not simple work to leaders in the field.

Besides, H1 came out in 2002, H2 came out in 2004, with your scale of time they were working on H2 2 years before H1 was released. I'd say the total amount of time it took was 3 years...and that was for a new game, not a remake.

First off your a.complete moron. Second as I.said, Frankie.himself stated that a simple less.aset heavy game like.Halo.1 would have taken years jusy develop.a proper multiplayer for.CEA. Do you understand that at all? Rewrite? You do not understand development or code at all.do you? Rewrite means simply adding a few lines of changing a few syntaxes. Neither of which are what would happen with an H2 remake. They would need to.create a whole new.engine variant for ataryers, and the entire multiplayer code structure would have to be written from.scratch. Why do you think they chose to use the Reach mm.code? It sure as hell wasnt because they were lazy.

Halo was in development for more.than five years. Part of that time.was given out to Halo 2. When Miceosoft bought Halo and partnered with Bungie...a.sequel.was already under way. Their original.contract called for.x amount of Halo games. Do you honestly believe a developer waits till.after release to begin working on a sequel? Do me a favor...dont post about things you dont have knowledge about or experience with. It will just anger me and make you look.stupid. TL;DR

• Like 2

I found some information about not needing a Halo 2 remake. Here.

I also found some rumors about Halo 2, here.

I honestly believe when Halo 2 makes it's 10th year of salvation, 343 will commence to created Halo 2 with XBL online multiplayer and graphics remake similar to Halo CEA's.

First off your a.complete moron. Second as I.said, Frankie.himself stated that a simple less.aset heavy game like.Halo.1 would have taken years jusy develop.a proper multiplayer for.CEA. Do you understand that at all? Rewrite? You do not understand development or code at all.do you? Rewrite means simply adding a few lines of changing a few syntaxes. Neither of which are what would happen with an H2 remake. They would need to.create a whole new.engine variant for ataryers, and the entire multiplayer code structure would have to be written from.scratch. Why do you think they chose to use the Reach mm.code? It sure as hell wasnt because they were lazy.

Halo was in development for more.than five years. Part of that time.was given out to Halo 2. When Miceosoft bought Halo and partnered with Bungie...a.sequel.was already under way. Their original.contract called for.x amount of Halo games. Do you honestly believe a developer waits till.after release to begin working on a sequel? Do me a favor...dont post about things you dont have knowledge about or experience with. It will just anger me and make you look.stupid. TL;DR

Were you born narrow minded or did it take years to develop? You know absolutely nothing about the way corporations work. If MS wants to make Halo 2 in 3 years, then it will be done. All your drivel means nothing. You can pontificate all you want but when H2 is released in 2014, I'll be there to laugh at you.

Rewrite could very well mean rewrite the whole thing, there is not much development to do, no artwork, no new music...get it, all the programmers need to do is sit down and rewrite H2, everything else is pretty much there for the rewrite.

This biggest point that you can't seem to grasp is you are talking about 1997 to 2002, yes it took 5 years...for a small company to develop a new game. A lot of game programmers have come along so there is an abundance and MS is no small company. If you organize it correctly and hire enough of the right people even an idiot should see that it won't take 5 years. Frankly, any people like you at 343 who say 'we can't do that' should be fired and replaced with 'I can' people. Again, there is plenty of time to remake Halo 2 and all the name calling on this planet will not make you a smart person.

Also, why wright 'too long;didn't read, then you read it and call me a moron?

Although there's no complete plans for Halo 2 remake, that doesn't mean that it won't happen at all. Rumor has it that Halo 2's remake starts development Late 2012 to early 2013. A plan to release information around late 2013, and a full release in 2014.

My silly friend, do have any idea how much time it takes to redo assets to make them compatable with a hybrid new engine? I'm sorry, I forgot that you were a better programmer and understood the engine better than me. Not! The command lines handling the output formats has to be written from scratch, and the formats have to be writtent o be compatable in both a PC sandbox and original xbox 1 sandbox environment. And lets not even get started on the emulation needed to handle the running of the Xbox 1 titles on the new Live system.

Remaking halo 2 into a proper release takes more than just a few "I can" people. If Microsoft is soooo big and sooo smart, then why did they hire 2 failed companies to try to port the first Halo 2 PC title? Can you give me a solid answer for that?

Mindless dribble....that is what infoerior intillect 343i trolls use to say they didn't undertsand anything I posted. Tell me, what was the last big company you worked for in the media and Entertainment department?

I never said it would never be remade, I was quoting Frankie..a 343i employee...you know him right? Yeah, he said the studio does not support any previous Halo games and the Halo CEA remake was only done to mark Halo's 10 years of greatness. It wasn't done because everyone cried about wanting it. If that was the case, the multiplayer would have been redone to go along with it. I don't know where you get your silly facts or rumors..but you should really ask for your money back.

Narrow minded am I? Why, because I understand what I hear direct from a companies mouth? Because I understand development lifecycles and put to you all bluntly? Gee whiz sorry for not breaking things to you guys more gently. Do you want a bottle with my post next time I am on? MS does not dictate or control the development time necessary to produce a game. They are the publisher, 343i and it's employees are the producers/creators. Microsoft is at the mercy of how fast and how high quality 343i or even Bungie for that matter, back in the day, could get the game done. Fact is, Halo 2 would have already had to be in a production phase right now in order to complete it in time for the 2014 release someone else posted a rumor about. I'd like to see that solid evidence that points to this? Conscidering 343i and Microsoft officially and straight forward stated that no plans for future remakes was in the works or even on the bargaining table.