Dear Halo Community

Geno_Pwns_Noobs

Dear Halo Community,

What's happened to us? I remember once upon a time we all got along. Where it didn't matter how good you were or how bad you were. When all that mattered to us was having fun with the game. It seems like those days are a blurry memory of the past. I'm getting this vibe now that all we care about is who knows us, who we have on our friend's list, and proving to everyone that we're better than the next man. I remember once when we all had an unspoken mutual respect for one another. We saw each other as just "Halo players" and nothing more.

It seems now that we've all lost touch of what is most important to help keep our community strong. Respect. All we care about now is our own personal popularity. Point checking each other, making money off of good people through our streams. We went from being one of the best communities in gaming, to one of the most dis-functional. Almost over night.

Maybe it's our role models. Maybe it's a drop in personal morals. What happened to when we told everyone good game? What about when we offered positive re-enforcement to our team mates when they weren't playing so hot in game? Now we just tell them "you ******* suck, quit this game". What about when it didn't matter when we lost or won. Now all we do is get pissed and blame everything else when we don't win. "******* ****ty host", "my teammates ******* suck", "You guy's ******* suck, if this was LAN I'd be raping all of you". When did we become so Salty about everything? I see way to much hate in this community.

So I ask you all. Next time you're on Halo. Be it Halo 3 or Halo: Reach. **** even if you're on XBC playing Halo 2. Respect everyone you come in contact with. Even if they're not sharing the same sentiments. Even if they're being rude. Instead of just muting someone for being annoying, gently explain to them what kind of negative impact they're putting on our community. Tell everyone good game, even when you lose. If you see a teammate playing really well, compliment them for it. You notice a teammate just got a sick headshot on someone. "Good **** man". Try to boost the moral of anyone you come in contact with. You'd be surprised how many people will respond positively to that. Just show some respect. It's so easy. If you see a teammate not playing so well, try to help him out. Give him some advice. Spread your knowledge.

I'd hate for us to continue to be a giant community full of hate. Maybe if we just promote a little love we can change it all.

So spread the love guys.

From the bottom of my heart. I hope all of you have an amazing gaming session today. And even if you don't. Hey man, Good Game. <3

Love,

Geno Pwns Noobs

#BringLoveBackToHalo

• Like 3

Dear Halo Community,

What's happened to us? I remember once upon a time we all got along. Where it didn't matter how good you were or how bad you were. When all that mattered to us was having fun with the game.

You remember wrong. The Halo community, nor any gaming communities have ever gotten along. It's a competitive game, people have a competitive attitude, it's only natural. Of course, this is no excuse for acting like a **** to your fellow players, but some people are dicks. You'll just have to accept that.

OP, I have always seen much of what you describe here. A few things happen that may change how it is seen though. First, players mature and when they hear things that to them, when they were young sounded funny as taunts, now see them for something else. Another reason could be attributed to growing discourse in the community over the years that raises players awareness more now. In my eyes, I have always been humored, for the most part, at smack talk. Some of it is more vile than others, but it is what it is. I usually can have some light banter with a smack talker and get him to laugh. Much of it has to do with how you view and deal with it. Nice OP.

You are somewhat correct in the sense that sometimes I would say "good game" and complement people. Yet as theorix said, no gaming community ever totally gets along. I've played some games against some real ***holes and I've talked some serious trash to them. I also used to jokingly trash talk people for fun. It was better in halo 2 when you could talk to people in the pregame lobby and then stick around for the post game. After the introduction of party chats it dramatically decreased. Yet that trash talking was a part of the game thats not really there today. No one gets along in Reach because everyone is pissed off at the game itself. People actually enjoyed previous games and could occasionally say good game but in Reach its either no talking or just simply crude trash talk. Fun trash talk by getting in the other teams heads no longer exists.

This post definatly rings a bell. As an older and long standing member of the Old School Halo community, I can see points in everything the OP touched on. Sadly yes, I have seen the community fall in despair as well, right after Halo 2 modding died down...right around that time yes. It was however inevitable that the community would eventually branch out and break away from the core of what it was. As Dog said, the community that was, got older and either moved on or took different standpoints on things. And as younger members joined the fray, it evolved and became a new generation of community. Wether it is good or bad is strictly your own pov, but for me, I think it's great to see a community last so long and still continue to grow, even if it isn't exactly picture perfect. At the end of the day, it's because of the community that we have sites like this now, and can all come together.

• Like 3

I remember back in the day when people were nice to eachother and didn't f***ing complain all the time. I'll miss that, truely will miss it. But, that's society in general for you, you have the idiots, the complainers, the nice people <3 and some what others, I'm to lazy to list more but you get what I'm saying.

People have gotten to serious about games, i mean it's ok to be serious and all but, why the attitude? After matches i get so many hate messages, or people saying awful things threw the mic that, i have to file a complaint block communications and mute them. I don't mind people being serious, and competitive, it hasn't always been nice on Halo or any game, but it has gotten worse. We should all be nicer, to others, would you want to be treated that way? I got to admit i've raged sometimes, but i try not to, and make friends with my enemies.

so true dude i think its a combination of things

party chat is one

dissatisfaction with the current state of the franchise to a lot of long time fans is another

and this goes into the dissatisfaction but the lack of a ranking system has a lot to do with it because why say good game when it wasnt, kids who would be 50's are obviously going to be upset when they lose because they have kids who would be 10's 20's and 30's going negative 25 on their team when they shouldnt be on their team in the first place.

there are very few "good games" in any playlist outside of mlg anymore because kids of all different skill levels are all forced into one big group

Dunno what u are talking about... Ok yes there are a few out there but me and a few friends still have fun and of course like to win but do not throw the controller at the screen if we do lose.

I remember that time OP, but not as a Halo fan because I just became one in January of this year.

I remember a time, somewhere in the early PS2 era, when online gaming really started to pick up on gaming consoles. A time when you were happy to have a 128KB DSL connection and never complained about a video "loading too slow". A time when you got online for the first time and people taught you how to play the game instead of just lashing out at you and telling you to leave.

I miss those days when I used to play Socom II online and we played as a team. A time where everybody used their headsets, got along, worked as a team, supported one another, and WON THE GAME because of it. Before it was about gloating about how many headshots, wins, and K/D ratio you have on your record. People played for fun and became friends. You went online and you knew who most people were in the game, not because of status but because you fought beside them in many games.

No factions, no competition, just an extremely fun experience.

I miss those days...