Why people hate Halo

Darren Stallcup

​Before i start getting a bunch of death threat's from an offended halo fan; I just want to say that i Love halo. in fact, i wish more people would play it instead of that horrible game know as call of duty. but let's ask ourselves this: why do people hate halo? my brother is one of those people who just cannot stand halo, even though he introduced it to me. recently he's been cot up in all this COD hype like the rest of the world. I've done some research and asked my brother why does he hate halo. so here's my conclusion. Back in the day, i'm talking 'halo: combat evolved' day's, Xbox live was new. When bungie released Halo to the world it became, at the time, the best selling console game of all time, and for most people, was the only reason why we bought an xbox. no other game could compete with it. Now-a-day's it's just one big war between COD player's and HALO player's. this big conflict. at the end of day i just want to see more people playing halo. not some retarded game that take's absalutly no skill to play. Im also sick of the reviews and snide comment's from gaming reviewers and G4. on one of G4's show called 'top anticipated game's of 2012' halo was rated at a mere '9'. i don't know about you but i died a little inside. how the hell do we go from the top to almost near bottom? and sense when did it become about how many copies your game sells? Just because MW3 sold more than anything ever before it dosent make it any better than halo. when you look at the selling's per console you'll find that on the 360 alone halo sold just as much or even more. but when you take in an account for the fact that MW3 is a multiplatform game that's why we end up losing. at the end of the day i could care less about how much a game sells or who play's it. but 343, if you want to make halo on top again you cant release the same game with better graphics and new weapons and maps. that just isnt going to cut it anymore. the halo franchise deserve's better and i know you have alot on your shoulders but i just want you to know that change is good. and sometime's you have to take the path less traveled. from what ive seen so far you guys are doing great and i cant wait to play halo 4. i know i havent explained exactly everything so im asking you guy's to also speak your part in this. what do you want to see. what do you hate. what need's to go and hopefully somebody read's this and takes all the ideas on this page. it's time we retake the thrown of the gaming world and see to it that halo is on top once again. thank you

• Like 3

imo Halo realy started becoming unpopular once they realeased halo wars, odst, and alot of people didnt like what they did with reach. it seamed almost as if they were going the cod rout and realeasing a lesser and worse quality game every single year instead of what they used to do when they would realease a new better quality game, what, every 3 years i believe it was. Also cod gets a ton of undeserving hype. And this is coming form a person that actualy kind of ejoys the game just because it is so easy lol. another thing that kind of lowered my halo multiplayer experience was when they made party chat. I remember being able to go into games and communicate with people, or attempt to comunicate with people. I feel like that added to the multyplayer experience, and i sadly think that that is a feature that will never come back because every body is always in party chat. also now there is more competition in multyplayer games. Halo, Cod, BF, Gears, etc.... Halo used to be one of the only games that was REALY REALY good for multyplayer, heck, halo still proubably is one of the better qualtiy games, every body just buys into the hype from game reviewers and stuff. and as for those review places giving strange or crazy reviews, you would have to think that with how much money games like Cod make, they could practicaly buy a positive review if they wanted. its very interesting.

We also need to.remember that the titles you mentioned did not exist in current kick-assery form back in the days of H1 and H2. And for the record, every game on the market takes a degree of skill or skills to be good at it. Do not diminish CoD and say it takes no skill. That alone is a perspective view of your own. I love Halo as well, bit as a mature gamer...I am able to appriciate each title and.genre despite what it may be. Halo's community is the most jaded and one sided in existence. I was around when it was new and have witnessed the many evolutions of it. Point being... as long as Halo.fans stays closed off to the gaming world, the more they and Halo alike.become hated.

• Like 1

wow. I think you could have made a better title. Halo still has a good amount of people. Some people i know are waiting for halo 4 because they didn't care for CEA and their hasn't been a new game since reach besides that.

​Before i start getting a bunch of death threat's from an offended halo fan; I just want to say that i Love halo. in fact, i wish more people would play it instead of that horrible game know as call of duty. but let's ask ourselves this: why do people hate halo? my brother is one of those people who just cannot stand halo, even though he introduced it to me. recently he's been cot up in all this COD hype like the rest of the world. I've done some research and asked my brother why does he hate halo. so here's my conclusion. Back in the day, i'm talking 'halo: combat evolved' day's, Xbox live was new. When bungie released Halo to the world it became, at the time, the best selling console game of all time, and for most people, was the only reason why we bought an xbox. no other game could compete with it. Now-a-day's it's just one big war between COD player's and HALO player's. this big conflict. at the end of day i just want to see more people playing halo. not some retarded game that take's absalutly no skill to play. Im also sick of the reviews and snide comment's from gaming reviewers and G4. on one of G4's show called 'top anticipated game's of 2012' halo was rated at a mere '9'. i don't know about you but i died a little inside. how the hell do we go from the top to almost near bottom? and sense when did it become about how many copies your game sells? Just because MW3 sold more than anything ever before it dosent make it any better than halo. when you look at the selling's per console you'll find that on the 360 alone halo sold just as much or even more. but when you take in an account for the fact that MW3 is a multiplatform game that's why we end up losing. at the end of the day i could care less about how much a game sells or who play's it. but 343, if you want to make halo on top again you cant release the same game with better graphics and new weapons and maps. that just isnt going to cut it anymore. the halo franchise deserve's better and i know you have alot on your shoulders but i just want you to know that change is good. and sometime's you have to take the path less traveled. from what ive seen so far you guys are doing great and i cant wait to play halo 4. i know i havent explained exactly everything so im asking you guy's to also speak your part in this. what do you want to see. what do you hate. what need's to go and hopefully somebody read's this and takes all the ideas on this page. it's time we retake the thrown of the gaming world and see to it that halo is on top once again. thank you

Your comments in regards to Call of Duty really take away some of the value in your post. I am personally sick and tired of seeing so much hate thrown towards games like Call of Duty. We get it, you don't like it. You don't need to insult the game and its player base to get your point across. Simply saying that you dislike it is more than enough.

Call of Duty, in my opinion, is a good FPS series. Sure it remains nearly identical for each entry, but each entry is just as good, if not better than the last. The formula that they've found just happens to work well enough that it keeps people coming back to it again and again. They're obviously doing something right if you ask me. Call of Duty, whether you like it or not does take skill. Every single video game out there requires some form and amount of skill to be good at. How much and exactly what types of skill depend on the game and it's mechanics, however.

Some of the reason why many people may not care for Halo or don't talk about it is because it hasn't really brought much to the FPS genre in a while. A lot of big name shooters have been released, and their gameplay and features have proven more popular than that of previous Halo titles. Many people have moved on. Halo hasn't really brought anything new or exciting enough to draw players in. Now I know what you're thinking "Well COD is just the same game every time!" For the most part, this is true. They do have some small to medium differences in between games though. However, as I said before, it does something right. It rewards players more often. It makes them feel like they're accomplishing more with its simpler ranking system, its progressive unlocks, weapon customization, in game rewards (killstreaks and such), etc. All of these things help the players feel like they're actually getting somewhere. In Halo, we haven't seen this type of thing. It's just "Play this match. Now play this match. Now play this match.", with only the hope of ranking up.

That's not saying I would like this kind of stuff in Halo, but it's just something that I believe has drawn more players towards those types of shooters. Despite not having this kind of system, I still prefer Halo over other shooters. Halo has, and probably will always be my go to FPS. I enjoy the story, the music, the setting, the gameplay, all of it more than any other FPS. Like you said, I believe Halo needs to change. It needs to evolve. Does this necessarily mean that it has to adopt the rewarding system that games like Call of Duty feature? No. But it does need to do something to draw players back in. Just having the same exact gameplay as previous entries just isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid. Only the really die hard fans are going to put up with that, but even they might also grow tired of playing the exact same style of game again and again.

Hopefully Halo 4 will be the turning point. Hopefully it will breathe some life back into the franchise and bring in both new and old fans alike.

• Like 3

While I personally can't get into CoD, I think it's a good game. Here's the thing though.

In almost every evolution from game to game within the CoD series, the games seem to stay the same or get better (except maybe blackops). I think this is something very valuable that can be taken away from this series. Do they every do something crazy and drastic that changes the mechanics of the game, not really. And THAT'S why people keep coming back. The game evolves, changes, but it's still the same game you love.

343, LEARN FROM THIS.

Why cant people just play more then one series? i happen to play both Halo and CoD, and while i dont really like the CoD Community, i do agree that it is a good franchise at least. People hate games they cant play, this is true to all games, and its understandable, people get frustrated when they lose or cant figure out the game they spent their money on. I'm just a fast learner and adapter, which is rare in the gamers of today, just dont take the "Hate" to heart, all their complaining about is the fact that they cant figure the game out weather they admit it or not IMO. <3

Why cant people just play more then one series? i happen to play both Halo and CoD, and while i dont really like the CoD Community, i do agree that it is a good franchise at least. People hate games they cant play, this is true to all games, and its understandable, people get frustrated when they lose or cant figure out the game they spent their money on. I'm just a fast learner and adapter, which is rare in the gamers of today, just dont take the "Hate" to heart, all their complaining about is the fact that they cant figure the game out weather they admit it or not IMO. <3

So let me get this straight, you think the only reason people don't like a game is because they aren't good at it? Yeah... no. Sure this is the case sometimes, but probably less than half the time. Take reach for example. I thought getting onyx was about as hard as getting a 50 in halo 3 (a joke). But I still despise reach's gameplay.

Ok so this is for 343

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Like 1

Ok so this is for 343

We've not seen or heard enough on Halo 4 to make accurate opinions on it. Wait until you've played it to give your final opinion. You don't know how it's going to turn out, so again, wait until you've played the finished product. This isn't America. This is the internet. Your post is nothing but a bunch of hate, ignorance, and stupidity, and I'm not going to bother with it any further. Learn to use proper grammar and how to construct a decent sentence. It'll help you look more intelligent and people just might take you seriously.

• Like 1

Your comments in regards to Call of Duty really take away some of the value in your post. I am personally sick and tired of seeing so much hate thrown towards games like Call of Duty. We get it, you don't like it. You don't need to insult the game and its player base to get your point across. Simply saying that you dislike it is more than enough.

Call of Duty, in my opinion, is a good FPS series. Sure it remains nearly identical for each entry, but each entry is just as good, if not better than the last. The formula that they've found just happens to work well enough that it keeps people coming back to it again and again. They're obviously doing something right if you ask me. Call of Duty, whether you like it or not does take skill. Every single video game out there requires some form and amount of skill to be good at. How much and exactly what types of skill depend on the game and it's mechanics, however.

Some of the reason why many people may not care for Halo or don't talk about it is because it hasn't really brought much to the FPS genre in a while. A lot of big name shooters have been released, and their gameplay and features have proven more popular than that of previous Halo titles. Many people have moved on. Halo hasn't really brought anything new or exciting enough to draw players in. Now I know what you're thinking "Well COD is just the same game every time!" For the most part, this is true. They do have some small to medium differences in between games though. However, as I said before, it does something right. It rewards players more often. It makes them feel like they're accomplishing more with its simpler ranking system, its progressive unlocks, weapon customization, in game rewards (killstreaks and such), etc. All of these things help the players feel like they're actually getting somewhere. In Halo, we haven't seen this type of thing. It's just "Play this match. Now play this match. Now play this match.", with only the hope of ranking up.

That's not saying I would like this kind of stuff in Halo, but it's just something that I believe has drawn more players towards those types of shooters. Despite not having this kind of system, I still prefer Halo over other shooters. Halo has, and probably will always be my go to FPS. I enjoy the story, the music, the setting, the gameplay, all of it more than any other FPS. Like you said, I believe Halo needs to change. It needs to evolve. Does this necessarily mean that it has to adopt the rewarding system that games like Call of Duty feature? No. But it does need to do something to draw players back in. Just having the same exact gameplay as previous entries just isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid. Only the really die hard fans are going to put up with that, but even they might also grow tired of playing the exact same style of game again and again.

Hopefully Halo 4 will be the turning point. Hopefully it will breathe some life back into the franchise and bring in both new and old fans alike.

True I am more into Halo than Call of Duty... one thing that is noticeable is the graphic detail which seems to improve in Halo more often than in call of duty... compare COD: WaW, COD: MW2, COD 4, COD MW3... Now compare The details of Halo from Halo CE to Halo Reach... see what I mean? I do still like both... COD does present interesting new stories... Halo stories seem similar but still interesting... I do play both and LIKE BOTH STILL THOUGH! :)

O im sorry im sorry!

I'm sorry that you can't help but be rude and foolish. This is not 343industries' website. This is a community site. Regardless, I still doubt that they would take you seriously if you sent them your previous post. It was full of nothing but improper grammar, hate, and stupidity. I'm not a "pissed little *****". However, you're making yourself look like a complete fool. You've come to this website and the only posts that you've made have been full of the things I've listed above. Improper grammar, hate, and stupidity. You've possibly ruined your chance at having a place among our community, and I won't be bothered or surprised if you end up getting yourself banned. We're a friendly bunch. We know how to behave, and those that don't are punished. We don't take kindly to people who come here to do nothing but spew hate. Unless you want to be punished as well, I'd suggest that you get your act together.

As for your last line, you sure do love repeating it don't you? Is that the only thing you can come back at me and others with? Is that the only thing that you're able to think up? I've seen that line spewed by so many people that it's not even funny. Please be more original.

Well the way I feel about it is this. If I wanted to play a game that was "like" cod. I would just play Cod. Halo is its own style game. Cod is a fun game and Im not taking anything from it at all. Halo is for of a skilled bassed game and a faster pace. Its not about who camps or anything. Kinda funny how MLG is talking about dropping Hlo if They screw the pooch again and It sure looks like thats what there are doing. NOW as far as Mkcrow, I dont blame him for being pissed off about what there doing with Halo. As far as anyone that may have something to say about what im saying on the skilled bassed game. Tell ya what. Put halo 3 in the xbox and invite for a one v one Im "FXGXSOUTHWINDX" Thers is a big difference between cod skill and halo and halo should stay true.

"

halo 3 was Very poular... it is still in my top 5 favorite games

• Like 1

CoD is kinda boring for a gamer like me becuase there is simply no competition. Im not saying its horrible game but without a competition and the ability to be creative, a hardcore gamer like myself will see no point in playing CoD. I got bored of reach because no one played any fun custom games and no one was good enough to stand up to me in arena, it felt like CoD a game dry out of things i love. In comparison halo comes out on top of CoD because you can do more with it and that makes it a hell of a lot less boring.

imo, halo did lose a lot of fans for the same cut and dry reward system being used over and over. CoD should not be bashed in this, though i do believe that its presence has resulted in the loss of some Halo fans. and if people are complaining about CoD taking no skill, play a round of big team slayer in H3 or Reach, and watch how many ppl try to hoard the ghost or wraith on a level. I personally dont believe that that takes any skill whatsoever. But I still enjoy CoD and Halo. Every game has its noobs, people just cant judge a game based off the noobs lol