Why people hate Halo

Darren Stallcup

This is quoted from my friend who likes COD better than Halo.

"Halo is too hard. In COD I can kill a whole bunch more people, get kill streaks, and just completely slaughter the other team without caring whether or not I win."

This too was fun for me when I was playing COD, but doesnt compare to the teammwork involved in playing a good game of halo. When a plan comes together and you win a close game when you put your rank on the line (like in halo 2), you feel like the man. In COD I dont think I ever did one thing in an objective game to help the team win. There is no incentive to win which makes the game a mindless shooter in my opinion. Obviously it takes skill to kill people in COD, just a lot less than halo.

From my expierience, my friends don't like halo because, "oh, it's so unrealistic! Cod is so much better!" I hate people who do that.

CoD is just as unrealistic as halo, tell your friends they know nothing of the brutal reality of combat. If anyone wants realism in a game don't stick with console, play Red Orchestra or ArmA II on PC.

I would love CoD if they would put love and effort into it! Its such a good idea and can really create great scenarios that are fun to play. But because IW are cash cows and treyarch doesnt get enough time CoD is much much worse than it really should be. Since I see its potential of being one of the best games ever, I hate whats being done to it. And Ive got HUGE beef with IW, they can choke and die for all I care.

Halos not as popular because, well, Reach wasnt a good game. Bungie didnt really care about what they created, vanilla reach is very bland and frustrating. They were actually forced to make ODST and Reach because of a deal they signed with Microsoft, otherwise they had planned to finish with halo3.

I think Halo's strength is simplicity. Sometimes I dont want to take the time to customize my weapons like other games, I just want to search into MM and see who has the best accuracy or strafe. If halo4 can keep that sense of simplicity then it will successful again (god I wish so!).

I would love CoD if they would put love and effort into it! Its such a good idea and can really create great scenarios that are fun to play. But because IW are cash cows and treyarch doesnt get enough time CoD is much much worse than it really should be. Since I see its potential of being one of the best games ever, I hate whats being done to it. And Ive got HUGE beef with IW, they can choke and die for all I care.

Halos not as popular because, well, Reach wasnt a good game. Bungie didnt really care about what they created, vanilla reach is very bland and frustrating. They were actually forced to make ODST and Reach because of a deal they signed with Microsoft, otherwise they had planned to finish with halo3.

I think Halo's strength is simplicity. Sometimes I dont want to take the time to customize my weapons like other games, I just want to search into MM and see who has the best accuracy or strafe. If halo4 can keep that sense of simplicity then it will successful again (god I wish so!).

Agreed

I just don't like cod for what it is. It isn't in any way unique, it's a completely selfish game, and let's face it; half the people with cod play because they have no job and find entertainment in firing guns at people who are oblivious to your presence. I like halo because it IS unique, has teamwork around every corner, and is basically the better game due to it's... Different style of gameplay.

I do not agree with this part of your post. Yes the contract was true but that does not however mean that bungie did not try to create a good game. Halo ODST seemed to be missing a lot of things in the live options. However bungie tried to create a completely new and from my opinion an amazing story.

Reach was also not just a requirement for bungie but it was their "swan song" according to many of the bungie employees. Bungie really put a ton of effort into reach because it would be the last time to create a game for the best video game series ever.

• Like 1

Other than that comment. I am predicting that halo lost many people after ODST. The reason being we lost master cheif. A lot of people including me thought bungie was then going to make games unrelated to mc. Hopefully halo 4 will bring some people back to make up for the people who have given up faith in 343. Wo i trust 100%

I do not agree with this part of your post. Yes the contract was true but that does not however mean that bungie did not try to create a good game. Halo ODST seemed to be missing a lot of things in the live options. However bungie tried to create a completely new and from my opinion an amazing story.

Reach was also not just a requirement for bungie but it was their "swan song" according to many of the bungie employees. Bungie really put a ton of effort into reach because it would be the last time to create a game for the best video game series ever.

I wasnt trying to talk about ODST as I havent played it, but saying Bungie did their best in reach is really not true. If they had put so much effort into it, Im certain AAs would be completely different, bloom would have been atleast 85%, sprint would be different or gone, movement speed wouldnt have changed, they would have made more maps, and ranks probably would have been in the game in some form. There is a long long list of mechanics and changes that are simply not fun and if they had listened or maybe tested better they would have realized that.

/end rant

The comparison between Call of Duty and Halo is becoming ridiculous. The only real similarity is that you have a gun in your hands. Personally, Halo is my game because it simply appeals to me more. I'm actually better at Call of Duty than Halo but Halo's multiplayer is just more fun to me. It's really all a matter of preference. People ultimately hate Halo because it doesn't appeal to them or they suck at it. Halo and Call of Duty are different games that require different skill sets and that's really all there is to it. As a fan of Call of Duty I feel that it's important for my fellow Halo fans to know that the series really has degraded. Don't take Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops as the sole representatives, just as you wouldn't take Reach as the sole representative of the Halo series. Personally, Reach was breathtaking at first but it didn't stand the test of time. I played Reach for about 6 months. On the other hand, I played Halo 3 for 3 years off and on. But I digress. Halo is its own game just as Call of Duty or whatever is. I sicerely hope that my favorite game series, Halo, will have a stellar addition in Halo 4 this Fall/Winter that combines all the best elements and removing or revising all of the game ruiners of Halos past. Good luck and best wishes to 343 and the community.

• Like 2