Halo 4 NEEDS a Dedicated Server

Hydricide

In short, yes. Gears of War and its sequel were unplayable online unless you were the host, but the third works perfectly. Why? Dedicated servers!

343i needs to give a good impression of itself if it's to win over those who are still suspicious of anything not made by Bungie, and giving us something which makes multiplayer that bit fairer and more balanced would go a long way to winning over the doubters.

In short, yes. Gears of War and its sequel were unplayable online unless you were the host, but the third works perfectly. Why? Dedicated servers!

343i needs to give a good impression of itself if it's to win over those who are still suspicious of anything not made by Bungie, and giving us something which makes multiplayer that bit fairer and more balanced would go a long way to winning over the doubters.

Indeed GOW 3 works awesome because of the dedicated servers and it will make the halo experience awesome too

(only in GOW3 if you dont have the DLC you'll be still put in hosted servers so I hope 343 doesn't do that)

Servers are only half the issue. The rest is in Blam! 's netcode. You can have all the servers u want....but unless great support for data handling is incorporated into the engine........then its just useless hardware.

I read in another topic that they'll be using a version of the Reach engine (among other ingredients). Is it likely that dedicated servers would make a difference if they could modify the old engine to allow for this hootenanny to take place? Is it likely that Reach's engine is modifiable in this fashion?

Netcode is no easy task to modify. writing a brand new code structure with latest networking models based on current networking protocols can take alone, upwards of a year to two years. Thats complete integration and fromm scratch though. to modify the reach engine, it would be an equal venture. they would first have to use the basic kernel if you will, and add onto that. Unfortunatly it isnt as easy as changing a flagged value.......unless the server support coding was already in there.....hmmmmmm

• Like 1

Netcode is no easy task to modify. writing a brand new code structure with latest networking models based on current networking protocols can take alone, upwards of a year to two years. Thats complete integration and fromm scratch though. to modify the reach engine, it would be an equal venture. they would first have to use the basic kernel if you will, and add onto that. Unfortunatly it isnt as easy as changing a flagged value.......unless the server support coding was already in there.....hmmmmmm

teach me....YOUR WAYS111111

you know how recently you were saying how Sabre Interactive possibly did an enormous amount of work on CEA? Is it possible that this is what they are part of the team for?

No, SI's involvement was strictly related to "graphic layers" and "geometry". Although they did have very little mention when it came to CEA, the project they were involved in. I suspect they are working on something else but I do remain interrsted to see if the things they are working on, are in part, part of a large release other than just the 360.

No, SI's involvement was strictly related to "graphic layers" and "geometry". Although they did have very little mention when it came to CEA, the project they were involved in. I suspect they are working on something else but I do remain interrsted to see if the things they are working on, are in part, part of a large release other than just the 360.

lolwut ?

• 8 months later...

Dedicated servers all around the world? Are you crazy? That would take forever to redo the client side, setting up the back end would also take years. Not only that but more players end up being in a match with P2P, just select the option for bettter connection

That is why it is going to be a mix of primarily host and some server help

A mix between dedictated servers and hosting seems good to me. That way we won't have to wait forever when the host leaves the game and all that. Though I still hope that a bad host will not give a bad connection for everyone.

I think because it will be a mox, if the host has a bad connection, the server will take over while the game is finding another better connected host. At least how it seems it is supposed to work...

• Like 1

Other online games use them, like Gears of War for example, and that is one reason so many people love it, no lag, all skill.

I'm an avid player of Gears of War been playing it for over 5 years now. Even though they added dedicated servers to it there are still many connection and registration issues with the game. Putting in servers in my opinion does not fix all the issues, sure it will make the game more consistent and help those players that have poor connections but let me tell you it does not solve every issue.

• 2 weeks later...