The "Official" What do you want in the Halo 4 Ranking system.

Herodanny

Ranking system  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which ranking system is your favorite?

2. 2. Credits

• Like them, they should effect your rank (like in reach)
    • Shouldn't effect rank but should allow customization (like in armor)
    • hate them

Forgive me if I come off as talking down to people a lot. Most of my posts are not usually intended to read as such, but at times I agree i don't do a very good job of keeping perspective. When i talk about how the Halo 2 rank system was the worst, I speak in terms of the system in which is accurately gauged how much you would jump or slide down in your rank. As it was demonstrated before, there have been players who played constantly and had tremendous skill, yet could not get up past 50. Then there were times when people would create a new profile, and used there skill to 50 in a week. Any system that allows this type of thing to happen without boosting an account is a huge problem. In Halo 3, boosting was the only way you could pull off reaching the highest rank from what I have seen.

Yes Halo Reach does not have a true ranking system, as you pointed out, there is no negative side to losing or performing poorly. See, I'm not a competitive gamer any more, so when I am sitting in a lobby with players, I always scout the players commendation completion. Usually if I find that most players have common "multiplayer" commendations in say Grifball, then it's a safe bet they are comparative in skill and play style, hence having roughly the same completion for a majority of individual multi commendations. I almost never look at a "rank" in any game.

In the end, it is hard for me to completely layout and understand anymore the competative side of gameplay especially in terms of a "true skill" system. Overall I think that is why it is important as a company, that 343i chooses a handfull of people from each side and has a sit-down with them to discuss ways they can better a system that will deployed that can benefit a wider majority, than they they have done in the past.

Maybe that's what we should be doing instead of these silly threads. perhaps it would be a much better use of time and thought to have the community sort of "self appoint" and promote maybe like 5 competative, and 5 casual members, to openly discuss towards 343i, the ideas these members have and try to promote that understanding to them?

• Like 1

That's the happy median I was looking for. I agree. You are not wrong, and I wasn't wrong, that's why this got heated in a way. Halo reach's system where you can see the player's commendations, etc. Is very effective at telling whether or not a player is good. However, it is lacking a ranking system all together. I guess in halo 2 if you were really good you could rank up to level 50 in about a week. Although, I never saw that too often, because after level 40 it was really really hard to rank up, but I am sure some people were able to accomplish it.

All in all, I think we can leave here as friends rather than enemies, we both want the same thing. Only difference is we see it from a different view. I'm glad to see we were both able to understand each other's position and accept that it wasn't wrong, a blend of both systems is actually a good thing.

Here is my idea for a ranking system for Halo 4 Multiplayer Matchmaking:

Have five playlist categories:

1. Cooperative; Includes cooperative gametypes (firefight, coop campaign)

2. Community; Includes the "fun" gametypes, such as Griffball, Action Sack, Swatguns, Custom Games Playlist (hoping for it), but no MLG (getting to that)

3. Competitive; Includes gametypes such as Team Slayer, FFA, SWAT, and others.

4. Ranked; Includes all gametypes with the exception of those in community and cooperative, and has the MLG playlist.

5. DLC; DLC only playlists, ones that require certain DLC to play, and one that requires all of them to play.

Now, the militaristic ranks should be like in Reach, where you earn credits, rank up, and unlock armor (or whatever customizable items there are). The w/l rank ups don't work very well, especially for players who get matched with bad teammates. Now, there should be a 1-50 rank system, or better yet a 1-100, and it should be based off of k/d or BPR (this will require a more strict banhammer, to prevent boosting, but it's doable). You get matched with people who are of a similar numerical rank to you. The higher the rank you are matched with, the more credits you get per kill of that person. For instance, if you were a 50 and your opponents were 50's, you would get less credits than if you were a 100 and your opponents were 100's. If you get 0 kills, you get 0 credits at the end of the match. Deaths also negatively impact your credits as well. Something like .05% of total credits per death, or maybe higher.

The only playlist category that numerical ranks will be featured in is Ranked. Other playlists will offer less credits, but will still give you credits so you aren't forced to play the Ranked playlist.

That's all I can think of right now, but I think this way is best because:

1. It will make people who like the current rank system happy, but will also give MLG back their precious numbers.

2. It will make afking obsolete.

3. People will still be able to get customizable armor, for those that want it.

4. Halo will become more competitive again, while still having newb friendly fun for those who just want to play (depending on the game settings, of course).

If you would like to expand on this idea, feel free to. :)

• Like 1

Talk's big behind a computer? I have my address listed on my profile troll. Want to test how tough I really am? I'll be waiting for that knock on my door, and I'll have an ambulance for you on stand-by. See how internet tough talking just seems to fail? Do you get it?

Aside form this, I am a well respected member of this community, and various modding communities throughout the world. I'm sorry that my knowledge surpasses your own and you can't seem to deal with it. Perhaps you would like one of us here to call your mommy for you? Would a hug make you feel better about your own stupidity? How about you go and research everything I have ever posted about subjects and see for yourself that in the end I know exactly what i am talking about. The nerve of some 12 post trolls around here.

What does my rank in Halo 3 have to do about anything? So what, am I supposed to believe that because my second profile mind you, only had time enough to be ranked up to what it is, dictates that I know nothing? I'm sorry that I used my free time to study "real world" things, instead of playing with myself and my controller obsessively.....as you quite obviously are accustomed to. Do me a favor girlie....get the **** out of my house, and never post here again. You quite obviously are not here to do anything more than flame people who have a higher intelligence and understanding of the game than you do. If you want to build up your ego or even look big in front of others...thats what the B-Net and Waypoint forums are for, not us. Get the message slugger? great, glad we could have this little talk....

• Like 1

Bring back all the Halo 3 elements FTW. :thumbsup:

Bring back BR but add hit scanning and also I like the halo reach vehicles, they did a good job with that IMO (and this is coming from a guy who absolutely hates reach). Halo 3's ranking system was garbage, but at least it was a ranking system (this is why I wanted them to approve on it, make it a little less.... random....) Also I would like to see them bring back the BXR, (although I know they never would so I don't want to really push for it too much) I think reach did a good job with the sniper, also halo 3's netcode was complete crap. So I would expect them to approve on that.

Graphics are not really important to me, I am looking more for good gameplay and a good story line. That is what I want. (graphics would be nice, I can appreciate good graphics but as long as they are acceptable then I wont complain)

Bring back BR but add hit scanning and also I like the halo reach vehicles, they did a good job with that IMO (and this is coming from a guy who absolutely hates reach). Halo 3's ranking system was garbage, but at least it was a ranking system (this is why I wanted them to approve on it, make it a little less.... random....) Also I would like to see them bring back the BXR, (although I know they never would so I don't want to really push for it too much) I think reach did a good job with the sniper, also halo 3's netcode was complete crap. So I would expect them to approve on that.

Graphics are not really important to me, I am looking more for good gameplay and a good story line. That is what I want. (graphics would be nice, I can appreciate good graphics but as long as they are acceptable then I wont complain)

DMR > BR with zero bloom.

Graphics are becoming more and more important now, its gone from the stages of Doom 1 to games like RAGE and Skyrim, Graphics are so much more important now for any game, this applies to halo also.

They NEED to bring back the halo 2 ranking system,

-(level 1-10) Win 2 games LEVEL up (lose 2 rank down)

-(level 11-20) Win 3 games LEVEL up (lose 3 rank down)

-(level 21-30) Win 4 games LEVEL up (lose 4 rank down)

-(level 31-40) Win 5 games LEVEL up (lose 5 rank down)

-(level 41-50) Win 6 games LEVEL up (lose 6 rank down)

Here's a hypothetical situation

Say you rank to level 25, you are here (24 - - - - I - - - - 26)

Say you win a game on your 25 now you are here (24 - - - - - I - - - 26)

Now Say you lose 2 games in a row.... (24 - - - I - - - - - 26)

So I hope you understand, that level 25 will have to win 5 games to become 26, or that 25 will have to loose 3 games to become a 24.

That level 25 could go on 343.com (or whatever the website is) and they can check how close they are to their next rank (with a progress bar)

LIKE IN HALO 2

I like the halo 2 ranking system but I liked halo 3s system

i deffinitly would want halo 2's number ranking system back but throw reachs credit system on top so you can still feel like you accomplish something when play community games.

I think that playing the game casually should be a reward in itself. Credits are pointless in my opinion. I like the idea of just a ranking system w/ numbers. Maybe have credits for armor? Honestly I don't really care. I never really cared for armor customization I only cared about gameplay.

No, no no no no no no no. If youre not good you shouldnt have the chance to level up. Thats the point. I dnt understand what people dont get about that?

I played halo since Halo 2s release 7 years ago. When Reach came out I quit. They lost a dedicated fan. And I can tell you one big part of my decision was the ranking system. You werent rewarded for how good you are. You werent credited for all the hard work and long days of playing and practicing to get better. You were rewarded for losing, just the same amount for winning. There is no justification for that. Its a noob friendly game that doesnt reward the skilled players.

amen.

HeroDanny, I have a son your age so don't talk down to the adults around here. As One stated, you lost...move on. My working knowledge base of Halo and all related Blam! engines, and Live API's was acquired as the culmination of many many years or Halo modding and reverse engineering. As for your comment about being a CoD player, yes I do play CoD with my son on occasion, but Halo has and always will be my passion. Your short sighted views about the recent Halo title really show your inability to appriciate anything Halo, no matter how askew from cannon or engine base it may be.

As for the ranking systems, they are all flawed. it does not take reverse engineering to figure that part out, only a simplistic understanding or why and how you get matched up with certain players via their service record and matchmaking filters.

And btw, why would I want to talk to you over XBL? Do you have something to contribute to the mod scene? Or are you simply trying to lure me into a chat session where you can TRY, to humiliate and trash talk me in real time, instead of here, where you will most certaintly fail and prove yourself to be a sniveling troll?

Back to the main topic at hand now. If you all really want a true measure of skill in terms of a ranking system, I have thought up, mathmatically written out and almost with 100% certainty layed out a good foundation on what should be calculated into a true measur a skill....

A.) List of target specific ratios.. (H/M- Hit-miss ratio)

1. Headshot misses and hits (anything above "Z" axis of head marker that misses or hits.

2. Body shot misses and hits (same as above)

3. Strafing. When strafing and incoming shots are within "said" distance, it counts as an evade.

4. Assists. (self explanitory).

B.) All weapon usage stats, used to pair people based on which weapon they excell with in accordance to H/M ratio

C.) Kill Death Ratio goes here.

D.) Vehicle kills/deaths. (Shows how well you kill and stay alive while using a vehicle. Helps determine good drivers)

E.) Vehicle Kills/death actual. (Shows what vehicles you excell in taking out, and vice versa)

F.) Team Scoring and stopping. (This one is used accross all team types and helps show his is better offensive or defensive)

So now that you have a quick list of my many, you can start to then apply ratio's and factor in a point system to increase rank. As the stats above prove, you simply can't just stand around and AFK, nor Lonewolf it or betray to get anywhere. Everything you do in the game is accounted for and reflective of the amount of points you receive per match based on the match. SO say your ratios for a match fall beyond a certain percentage, you lose rank points based on a percentage lost scale. To clarify, it would be similar to this...

1 to 5% ratio loss meaning kill/death or hit miss = 1 point lost

6 to 10% equals 2 points lost

and so on for the remainder of numbers.

Also can be applied to the opposite, where you recieve points for + ratios...

I will try to illistrate it below...

Lets say you just finished a rumble slayer match. Your stats were as follows...

Kills= 25

Deaths= 12

Weapons used:

Rockets= 4 misses, 3 hits

DMR = 128 hits, 150 misses

Frags= 3 hits, 1 miss

Plasmas= 2 hits, 2 misses

vehicles used:

H-Turret: hits=72, misses=128

Now we calculate the percentages of each section...

KILL DEATH= 25/12 x 100*= 208 spread

MISSES HITS= 209/284 x 100 = -73.59 spread

Now we take the spreads and you get... 208 + 73.59 / 0.2 = 56.3% Then take that 56.3 and see where it falls into the points aquired catagory.

N

ow obviously this was done real quick, but it illistrates how a schema of this type would ultimately show a player's true skill and really make them work for it. not just winning, but hold them accountable for every single action they take. You could even go further, and have a betrayal count as a 10% overall point deduction in the end for those who betray a lot for stuff. But again, as this points out, you would have to play in every playlist as focusing on single playlists would not yeild you enough points alone to really get you up in rank. You could go one step further, and force players to do other playlists by giving them no points until 5 playlists in each catagory is completed. So if you play 5 rumble slayer, you could not earn more points for rumble slayer until you do a set of 5 on a specified or available playlist. This alone would prevent the Reach mtachmaking boosters and boosters alike from cheating their way up in rank.

+1 for Guru.

personaly i came up with an idea to intergarte both ranking systems (cR and exp)

Basicly:

Credits DO NOT rank up, but are still earned every game like in reach, these can be use to buy armour and whatever else 343 put into the game

Exp is used to rank up but it is made fairer than the h3 system.

just an idea not sure if it would word

Exactly the same thing that i thought

I play very high levels of hockey so as you would assume im very competitive. I loved Halo 2 and Halo 3 ranking, but not because they had these amazing formulas that worked perfectly. It was just the fact they had something visual that other players could see how good I am. I know it sounds egotistical and sad but thats exactly how every game is. Does it really matter someone can shoot a 3 point? No, but do millions of people watch someone do it? Yes, because THEY CANT.

My whole point is that Halo is a VIDEO GAME. We play games to win and show we are better than someone else. As for some evidence: With Halo 3s' easily manipulated flawed ranking system we saw more than double people online on average compared to Halo reach. Why? because Halo 3 had a real ranking system (based on varied skills). People would spend hours and hours getting better to reach higher rank not just killing grunts over and over. This made those ranks have meaning and people wanted that recognition. (Again these were easily manipulated but thast not the point)

I say we have a simple ranking system such as every sport leauge in the world has. Win, loss, and tie. No resetting every couple of months... AND your teamates rank should not affect anything.

• Like 1

quick thing im pretty sure every sports league in the world has a reset at the end of the year ya know after some team has won a big trophy its called the off season the next game they play they start of 0-0-0 any whooooo not my point

Twin sorry but all this stuff you say about how the system works doesnt make sense to every person

and second if your playing on a number based system then you are competeing and if your a casual gamer then why not play in the casual playlists...look at my account if you wanna i love trying to up my skill but also have a good amount of fun social and and custom games too

my main problem with the Halo 3 ranking system is that i would spend hours getting better at halo but to do this i had to play competetively and now that ive played so many games that my rank is stuck it is much harder for me to rank up than the people i play with and i dont want to just make a new account because Skittlze is the account ive had since i got my 360 and its the account i want to bring to the 720 next year

why should i have to do more work to level up than the people who just make new accounts

ya halo 2 had flaws but the things you are pointing out are in the game not the ranking system

COMPETITIVELY in anything winning is good and loosing is bad so when my rank is determined partly by a game that i play 3 years ago back when i was getting used to halo 3 i feel that thats not fair

the best thing about the halo 2 ranking system was that it made sense! and actually was competitive (not completly sure how to spell it whatevs) when i play to rank up winning should be what matters cause that is the point of a COMPETITIVE game

in H4 I hope they go back to a simpler ranking system that is affected only by how good i am now please 343 dont judge me for how i play when im getting used to the game

Halo 2s ranking system was by far the best and most competitive system ive ever seen in any game ever

• Like 1