The "Official" What do you want in the Halo 4 Ranking system.

Herodanny

Ranking system  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which ranking system is your favorite?

2. 2. Credits

• Like them, they should effect your rank (like in reach)
    • Shouldn't effect rank but should allow customization (like in armor)
    • hate them

What's retarded is that you can't read. I suggested they also have ranks that cannot go down in a different set of playlists, for the minority of Halo players that want a COD-like system. To placate people like you, they could do the Halo 3 thing where your ranks could fluctuate up and down, but your highest rank always remained somewhere in your profile.

Did I attack what you said? No. Read some more. I just said that Ranks going down, is stupid. Whenever I say that, it somehow offends people. Sorry if I hurt you.

You quoted me, right? In that quote I suggested they have both systems in place. You just completely ignored my suggestion of having 2 systems.

What's the point of a rank if it's not an indicator of skill? What's to show off if the number can never go down? If you don't want to show-off then go play unranked/social/linear. i don't see how anyone can disagree with this, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

• Like 1

What's stupid is when people don't understand the point of a ranking system...it's supposed to separate good players from bad players

It's not just there to make you happy if you want to see a ranking system that doesn't go down look at your total hours played

• Like 1

While a lot people agree with me when I say that the Reach ranking system was faulty, I think there are still certain traits they should keep for Halo 4.

1. The high amount of ranks, to reach the highest rank in Reach; you need to have played a ******* ton. I liked this, it helped differentiate between scrubs and veterans (not to be confused with skill). Unlike Halo 3, where it took an considerably shorter time to reach max-rank.

2. High amount of combinations of armor; this allowed your spartans to be unique while giving players a sense of goal, which helped motivate people to play more.

The system should be more focused on skill-ranking, but I'm sure they will figure something out.

They NEED to bring back the halo 2 ranking system,

-(level 1-10) Win 2 games LEVEL up (lose 2 rank down)

-(level 11-20) Win 3 games LEVEL up (lose 3 rank down)

-(level 21-30) Win 4 games LEVEL up (lose 4 rank down)

-(level 31-40) Win 5 games LEVEL up (lose 5 rank down)

-(level 41-50) Win 6 games LEVEL up (lose 6 rank down)

Here's a hypothetical situation

Say you rank to level 25, you are here (24 - - - - I - - - - 26)

Say you win a game on your 25 now you are here (24 - - - - - I - - - 26)

Now Say you lose 2 games in a row.... (24 - - - I - - - - - 26)

So I hope you understand, that level 25 will have to win 5 games to become 26, or that 25 will have to loose 3 games to become a 24.

That level 25 could go on 343.com (or whatever the website is) and they can check how close they are to their next rank (with a progress bar)

LIKE IN HALO 2

Yeah THIS. Definitely. Or something somewhat similar would be fine. I never had any trouble getting 50 in halo 3, but my friend was frustrated to no end after a countless amount of wins. The reward/punishment for good or bad players in halo 3 was too extremely in the fact that the penalty just kept growing. Seemed almost exponential.

• Like 1

This is getting ridiculous. People are so scared of a ranking system because they wont just be handed ranks. God forbid you have to get better at the game. Stop being so lazy and improve your skills. This is why we should have a set of social playlists again, that way people who dont want to play for rank still have a place to go. As for me I want to play with people of my own skill and a system akin to halo 2 or halo 3 will allow that. Stop trying to ruin all competitive players fun and saying how amazing reach is and nothing should be changed. Halo took a huge hit from reach being released, a lot needs to change.

• Like 2

HeroDanny, I have a son your age so don't talk down to the adults around here. As One stated, you lost...move on. My working knowledge base of Halo and all related Blam! engines, and Live API's was acquired as the culmination of many many years or Halo modding and reverse engineering. As for your comment about being a CoD player, yes I do play CoD with my son on occasion, but Halo has and always will be my passion. Your short sighted views about the recent Halo title really show your inability to appriciate anything Halo, no matter how askew from cannon or engine base it may be.

As for the ranking systems, they are all flawed. it does not take reverse engineering to figure that part out, only a simplistic understanding or why and how you get matched up with certain players via their service record and matchmaking filters.

And btw, why would I want to talk to you over XBL? Do you have something to contribute to the mod scene? Or are you simply trying to lure me into a chat session where you can TRY, to humiliate and trash talk me in real time, instead of here, where you will most certaintly fail and prove yourself to be a sniveling troll?

Back to the main topic at hand now. If you all really want a true measure of skill in terms of a ranking system, I have thought up, mathmatically written out and almost with 100% certainty layed out a good foundation on what should be calculated into a true measur a skill....

A.) List of target specific ratios.. (H/M- Hit-miss ratio)

1. Headshot misses and hits (anything above "Z" axis of head marker that misses or hits.

2. Body shot misses and hits (same as above)

3. Strafing. When strafing and incoming shots are within "said" distance, it counts as an evade.

4. Assists. (self explanitory).

B.) All weapon usage stats, used to pair people based on which weapon they excell with in accordance to H/M ratio

C.) Kill Death Ratio goes here.

D.) Vehicle kills/deaths. (Shows how well you kill and stay alive while using a vehicle. Helps determine good drivers)

E.) Vehicle Kills/death actual. (Shows what vehicles you excell in taking out, and vice versa)

F.) Team Scoring and stopping. (This one is used accross all team types and helps show his is better offensive or defensive)

So now that you have a quick list of my many, you can start to then apply ratio's and factor in a point system to increase rank. As the stats above prove, you simply can't just stand around and AFK, nor Lonewolf it or betray to get anywhere. Everything you do in the game is accounted for and reflective of the amount of points you receive per match based on the match. SO say your ratios for a match fall beyond a certain percentage, you lose rank points based on a percentage lost scale. To clarify, it would be similar to this...

1 to 5% ratio loss meaning kill/death or hit miss = 1 point lost

6 to 10% equals 2 points lost

and so on for the remainder of numbers.

Also can be applied to the opposite, where you recieve points for + ratios...

I will try to illistrate it below...

Lets say you just finished a rumble slayer match. Your stats were as follows...

Kills= 25

Deaths= 12

Weapons used:

Rockets= 4 misses, 3 hits

DMR = 128 hits, 150 misses

Frags= 3 hits, 1 miss

Plasmas= 2 hits, 2 misses

vehicles used:

H-Turret: hits=72, misses=128

Now we calculate the percentages of each section...

KILL DEATH= 25/12 x 100*= 208 spread

MISSES HITS= 209/284 x 100 = -73.59 spread

Now we take the spreads and you get... 208 + 73.59 / 0.2 = 56.3% Then take that 56.3 and see where it falls into the points aquired catagory.

N

ow obviously this was done real quick, but it illistrates how a schema of this type would ultimately show a player's true skill and really make them work for it. not just winning, but hold them accountable for every single action they take. You could even go further, and have a betrayal count as a 10% overall point deduction in the end for those who betray a lot for stuff. But again, as this points out, you would have to play in every playlist as focusing on single playlists would not yeild you enough points alone to really get you up in rank. You could go one step further, and force players to do other playlists by giving them no points until 5 playlists in each catagory is completed. So if you play 5 rumble slayer, you could not earn more points for rumble slayer until you do a set of 5 on a specified or available playlist. This alone would prevent the Reach mtachmaking boosters and boosters alike from cheating their way up in rank

i disagree and agree with this system. Accuracy should never detemine the players skill level because people play differently and it would just make the ranking to complicated. I do agree however that kill death should come into effect in slayer tied with the goal of winning. But this should stay out of objective matches. a win should bring you up if no matter what, and if you have positive kill death during the match and you lose your level shouldn't go down. Keep it simple so the player knows what to do to rank higher alert him too, none of that random leveling bs. Also no one cares if your an adult we can talk to you just like we talk to everyone else, its a video game community and has nothing to do with real life.

This is getting ridiculous. People are so scared of a ranking system because they wont just be handed ranks. God forbid you have to get better at the game. Stop being so lazy and improve your skills. This is why we should have a set of social playlists again, that way people who dont want to play for rank still have a place to go. As for me I want to play with people of my own skill and a system akin to halo 2 or halo 3 will allow that. Stop trying to ruin all competitive players fun and saying how amazing reach is and nothing should be changed. Halo took a huge hit from reach being released, a lot needs to change.

bless your heart :')

i disagree and agree with this system. Accuracy should never detemine the players skill level because people play differently and it would just make the ranking to complicated. I do agree however that kill death should come into effect in slayer tied with the goal of winning. But this should stay out of objective matches. a win should bring you up if no matter what, and if you have positive kill death during the match and you lose your level shouldn't go down. Keep it simple so the player knows what to do to rank higher alert him too, none of that random leveling bs. Also no one cares if your an adult we can talk to you just like we talk to everyone else, its a video game community and has nothing to do with real life.

We actually came to an agreement, (I think we did at least) the agreement was that you rank up from winning and winning only but you will have a service record (like in reach) where it displays your K/D, W/L, Objective, accuracy, etc.

This will allow players to have the ability (for bragging rights) to show off their K/D, etc. while still maintaining the number (1-50, or 1-100 whatever they decide to do).

If halo 4 has a ranking system (like reach) where you lose and STILL rank up, I will not even buy it. YES, it means that much to me.

Did I attack what you said? No. Read some more. I just said that Ranks going down, is stupid. Whenever I say that, it somehow offends people. Sorry if I hurt you.

I'm sorry you think this way. Ranks should always go down or up because that is the struggle you must endure in order to be the best (level 50) halo 3 showed your highest achieved rank. So you never had to worry about really "Losing" your 50.

You quoted me, right? In that quote I suggested they have both systems in place. You just completely ignored my suggestion of having 2 systems.

What's the point of a rank if it's not an indicator of skill? What's to show off if the number can never go down? If you don't want to show-off then go play unranked/social/linear. i don't see how anyone can disagree with this, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

Wow. Are you blind? I did not combat your idea of two systems at all. I simply said I know why people like the idea of deranking. Stop getting so butthurt.

God foribid I play a game not to get better but to have fun. I dont want to improve my skills. I want to have fun in a game. The social area of Halo 3 was abandoned. Simple put. Im not trying to ruin anything for anyone. If anything, you would have it that only you "competitive" people remained. Halo Reach remembered that the point of games is fun. All of its game types where made for fun. If you hate fun and go unto Halo everyday just to prove your the better player, go to CoD. All those guys scream about how "pro" they are. You would fit right in.

God foribid I play a game not to get better but to have fun. I dont want to improve my skills. I want to have fun in a game. The social area of Halo 3 was abandoned. Simple put. Im not trying to ruin anything for anyone. If anything, you would have it that only you "competitive" people remained. Halo Reach remembered that the point of games is fun. All of its game types where made for fun. If you hate fun and go unto Halo everyday just to prove your the better player, go to CoD. All those guys scream about how "pro" they are. You would fit right in.

ranking up is fun

halo 3 had ranked and social so how did they abondon the fun side isnt that what action sack and double exp were for

besides the custom games are the most fun and uncompetetive so many people would rather have played those anyways

**** you for saying there shouldnt be ranked

• Like 1

Ranking is for the competitive gamer not the casual social gamer. Fun is seen in different ways, competition is my main way of having fun and competition never gets boring so long as you have something to work for. The ranking system is what drives competition and skillful balanced gameplay allows it to happen. Without competition the replay value of halo is cut in half for a gamer like me. Take reach for example, does anyone care about winning in reach? no they don't because nothing drives them to win which is exactly why i have silver membership right now. If i buy another card its because halo 4 will prove itself to have a ranking system as challenging as halo 3. Winning is i believe the most important thing in competition therefor winning should always level you. K/D should not just be shown on score at the end of every match but it should have a good effect on losing, if you lose with a positive K/D you should not go down a level because it was your teams fault of the loss not yours. Ive mentioned this before but it wasn't as clear. But anything different from the level system used in halo 3 and 2 i think would have a small chance of pleasing competitive gamers like myself, i think this system only needs to be tweaked a little not completely changed. O ya and in Cod everyone who calls themselves pro are fakes, they are not competitive gamers at all because CoD is easy and has no skill or competition. Cod is for casual gamers like yourself, i honestly see nothing other than casual play in CoD. This op by the way is not the topic for you since you have no interest in competition. The social area was never abandoned in halo 3 either, thats just the way things are now on console, no one talks and the people who do are not very friendly or smart, this is due to making games easier to play(CoD).
  • Like 1

Social in Halo 3 was not abandoned by any means. It is still the most played of H3. Social playlist are very mush welcomed by competitive players. The, for the most part, want the separation. We all enjoy and have fun with the games. Players have many different ways to have fun, there is no one path to it.

Everyone else pretty much said it all for me but seriously you are such a hypocrite. Crying that i want it to be only competitive gamers left even though i specifically pointed out that i wanted there to be a set of social playlists for just casual players, yet you want no ranking system so us competitive gamers are left out. What you are really angry about is the fact that we are trying to get a skilled ranking system back into play and you will no longer be given ranks for free. You want a high rank without actually having to earn it. Your whole thing about social being abandoned is just you trying to pull something out of your ass. I played more halo 3 than you ever will and it was not "abandoned". Also CoD isnt competitive at all. CoD is Reach

In terms of competitiveness they are one in the same. Of course they are drastically different in gameplay lol

When you say drastically different, I tend to disagree with you. At least from a competitive standpoint. I don't know how much you played halo 2, but if you played that game, you would find that there isn't a single element that could relate that game to CoD, other than the fact that they were both first person shooters. Now, look at reach and CoD. Going to the competitive standpoint again, so you don't have armor lock, invis, jetpack, etc. You have sprint, just like CoD. The gameplay itself has slowed down so that it's closer to the pace of CoD. Weapons have a bloom that increases the longer you fire, just like CoD. The height of the jump has been reduced so that it's closer to CoD's jump height (although maybe still a little bit higher).

All of these changes essentially change the essence of what made halo. Halo used to be about crazy jump heights (which meant it took more skill to aim) and precision weapons with no bloom (which meant the person with more accuracy always won), and sprint gives people who know they've lost the fight a chance to escape before you can finish the fight.

I'll take a quick second to briefly explain why bloom makes aiming take less skill in my opinion. Here we go.

In Halo 2, there was pretty much no bloom. Sure, the smg and the plasma rifle had a spread to it, but it was a constant spread, not something that changed. It could be accounted for so you knew the exact distance you needed to be away from someone to kill them with either weapon. Now, let's say there was a fight between 2 people with BRs. You shoot me, and shoot you, whoever gets the most shots fist (whoever has better aim) wins. With reach you just shoot as fast as you can. You get this ridiculous spread. And whoever the random number generator happens to favor that day gets the lucky shot that hits the other guys head and wins the fight. So it's not always 100% who has better aim like it used to be.

Now you might say that the better player would time their shots so the bloom never got very big and they could win with better aim. Well that's all well and good, but you haven't really thought this through. Let's say that palyer1 uses the previously mentioned strategy. They slow the rate of fire so that they can control the spread for the bullet. Now, player2 just fires as quickly as they can. The bloom for player 2 has now grown large enough that all of the next shots are not guaranteed to hit player1. But, they keep firing anyways, and with some luck they manage the headshot on player1 and score the kill. Now player1 has lost not because of weaker skill or aiming, but because he chose a strategy that takes the random number generator out of the question. If they both fire as fast as they can, then you get the first situation I mentioned, where both players are counting on the random number generator to let their bullet get the headshot and win the fight for them, instead of their aim winning the fight for themselves.

• Like 1

When you say drastically different, I tend to disagree with you. At least from a competitive standpoint. I don't know how much you played halo 2, but if you played that game, you would find that there isn't a single element that could relate that game to CoD, other than the fact that they were both first person shooters. Now, look at reach and CoD. Going to the competitive standpoint again, so you don't have armor lock, invis, jetpack, etc. You have sprint, just like CoD. The gameplay itself has slowed down so that it's closer to the pace of CoD. Weapons have a bloom that increases the longer you fire, just like CoD. The height of the jump has been reduced so that it's closer to CoD's jump height (although maybe still a little bit higher).

All of these changes essentially change the essence of what made halo. Halo used to be about crazy jump heights (which meant it took more skill to aim) and precision weapons with no bloom (which meant the person with more accuracy always won), and sprint gives people who know they've lost the fight a chance to escape before you can finish the fight.

I'll take a quick second to briefly explain why bloom makes aiming take less skill in my opinion. Here we go.

In Halo 2, there was pretty much no bloom. Sure, the smg and the plasma rifle had a spread to it, but it was a constant spread, not something that changed. It could be accounted for so you knew the exact distance you needed to be away from someone to kill them with either weapon. Now, let's say there was a fight between 2 people with BRs. You shoot me, and shoot you, whoever gets the most shots fist (whoever has better aim) wins. With reach you just shoot as fast as you can. You get this ridiculous spread. And whoever the random number generator happens to favor that day gets the lucky shot that hits the other guys head and wins the fight. So it's not always 100% who has better aim like it used to be.

Now you might say that the better player would time their shots so the bloom never got very big and they could win with better aim. Well that's all well and good, but you haven't really thought this through. Let's say that palyer1 uses the previously mentioned strategy. They slow the rate of fire so that they can control the spread for the bullet. Now, player2 just fires as quickly as they can. The bloom for player 2 has now grown large enough that all of the next shots are not guaranteed to hit player1. But, they keep firing anyways, and with some luck they manage the headshot on player1 and score the kill. Now player1 has lost not because of weaker skill or aiming, but because he chose a strategy that takes the random number generator out of the question. If they both fire as fast as they can, then you get the first situation I mentioned, where both players are counting on the random number generator to let their bullet get the headshot and win the fight for them, instead of their aim winning the fight for themselves..

Ive played halo since the release of Halo CE: and by far have spent the most time on H2. Regardless, in terms of playstyle, reach and CoD are polar opposites. They may have more similar features between it and any halos before it but they are drastically different. I dislike reach and think it has nearly destroyed a once great series but it definitely doesnt play like CoD because it has some borrowed tools. Also no need to explain anything to me, i fully grasp the core mechanics of each halo and need no further understanding. You are sounding a little condescending so i advise not assuming im ignorant on any subject until you have had a full conversation with me about it.

when i look at cod i see all the skill as how you navigate the map

when i look at halo i see some skill in map movement but mostly in what you do once your in a fight

whin i look at reach i see a game trying to take the best of both worlds but failing epicly

Ive played halo since the release of Halo CE: and by far have spent the most time on H2. Regardless, in terms of playstyle, reach and CoD are polar opposites. They may have more similar features between it and any halos before it but they are drastically different. I dislike reach and think it has nearly destroyed a once great series but it definitely doesnt play like CoD because it has some borrowed tools. Also no need to explain anything to me, i fully grasp the core mechanics of each halo and need no further understanding. You are sounding a little condescending so i advise not assuming im ignorant on any subject until you have had a full conversation with me about it.

I never assumed you were ignorant. Please keep in mind that you are not the only person that reads these forums and other people besides yourself may need an explanation.