What Spartan do you identify with?

Coldfreeze

12 members have voted

1. 1. What spartan do you identify with?

Good day to all my fellow forum members,

I have been playing Halo since CE. Since Halo 3 introduced customization to the armors, the game got a lot more influence on personal level, the spartan you create isn't some mindless soldier like in games such as Call of duty or Battlefield, it is your spartan, your armor and a personal extention to how you want to look like as a spartan in the Halo universe.

Since Halo 4 introduced spartan-IV's I felt like my character in Halo wasn't a Spartan but a an enhanced soldier, I do not identify with spartan-IV's but more with the spartan-II's 

So my question is, what spartan do you identify with, is it the elite soldiers of the spartan-II project, the more versatile spartan-III soldiers or the enhanced marines and ODST known as the spartan-IV's.?

Please select one of the answers and explain why you identify with that spartan.

I noticed that I didn't explain why I chose for spartan-II's

I am a fairly young guy, 22 years old, part of the reason I choose spartan-IIIs.

I changed my opinion thanks to Zaguroth.

I mistakenly chose the spartan-III's as the ultimate super soldier, I got my lore mixed up.

Edited by Coldfreeze

I can relate to the first gerneration of super soldiers like kelly or jorge that do what they are told with no questions and its done with perfection

This is what I'm thinking too.

Also I would much rather get all those augmentations and awesome armor and do my job perfectly. 

Spartan-IV's are merely above average marines in a suit, personally I don't recognize them as Spartans.

Also, we all know they looked the coolest. 

Edited by President Yoshi

This is what I'm thinking too.

Also I would much rather get all those augmentations and awesome armor and do my job perfectly. 

Also, we all know they looked the coolest. 

spartan-III's have all the augmentations as well, but there was lower fatallity rate.

spartan-III's have all the augmentations as well, but there was lower fatallity rate.

Oh I didn't know that... learn something new everyday.

Spartan-III's seemed to die a lot faster the there counter parts that survived the augmentations though.

Oh I didn't know that... learn something new everyday.

Spartan-III's seemed to die a lot faster the there counter parts that survived the augmentations though.

Most of the spartan-III's died defending Reach, around 10 % was stationed on other locations. The spartan-II are, and correct me if I'm wrong, mostly MIA. they were the first to encounter any covenant and most didn't have acces to tech such as shields.

Just to clear things up...

Spartan IIs were originally created to counter Innie forces. Spartan III's were cheaply made copies of the Spartan II program, they were basically suicide commandos meant to disrupt Covenant operations, hundreds would die on a single mission basically. Spartan IVs are essentially enhanced Marines yes, but they also have much more combat effectiveness than Marines or well, probably safe to say Spartan III's did...

All of the Spartan II's that died are listed as MIA, the ones that actually went missing are MIA as well lol.. There are a possible 10 or more Spartan IIs still alive. And even more drop-outs that have recovered from the augmentation process.

With that out of the way, I would identify most with Spartan II's, mostly Jorge (even though he's in a game that pretty much turned the canon upside down).

• Like 2

Most of the spartan-III's died defending Reach, around 10 % was stationed on other locations. The spartan-II are, and correct me if I'm wrong, mostly MIA. they were the first to encounter any covenant and most didn't have acces to tech such as shields.

This is very wrong but I'm too lazy to explain.

Most S-II's are dead but they did have shield tech. The UNSC has had it for awhile after stealing covie technology.

I thought S-III's were made to be more disposable?  Guess HaloWiki lied to me. 

To add to what Swagrough is saying ...

SPARTAN-III soldiers were to be the next generation of supersoldiers. Composed primarily of vengeful orphans from fallen colonies, they would be cheaper to arm, train, and produce; being chosen from a wider pool of candidates, they would also be more numerous than their SPARTAN-II predecessors. They would rely on superior battle tactics, teamwork and sheer numbers, rather than advanced technology, special augumentation, and equipment to achieve their combat effectiveness. :)

Just to clear things up...

Spartan IIs were originally created to counter Innie forces. Spartan III's were cheaply made copies of the Spartan II program, they were basically suicide commandos meant to disrupt Covenant operations, hundreds would die on a single mission basically. Spartan IVs are essentially enhanced Marines yes, but they also have much more combat effectiveness than Marines or well, probably safe to say Spartan III's did...

All of the Spartan II's that died are listed as MIA, the ones that actually went missing are MIA as well lol.. There are a possible 10 or more Spartan IIs still alive. And even more drop-outs that have recovered from the augmentation process.

With that out of the way, I would identify most with Spartan II's, mostly Jorge (even though he's in a game that pretty much turned the canon upside down).

The way I see it, the spartan-IV's are less effective, they have the instincts of their marine career. Spartans are known to know no fear and sadly marines do know fear.

The spartan-III project was adjusted to the covenant invasion and were suicide squads, almost all of noble team was a spartan-III with the exception for Jorge. 

There are only 2 spartans with the classification of extremely lethal one of them is Noble six the other is John-117.Noble six is a spartan-III

Like I said before I would prefer spartan-III to because of the age I have myself, but reading back that they are indeed cheap "products"

I have changed my opinion.

i would say Spartan 3s and the reason is that i can still do a lot of damage even though i am judged but Spartan 2s for survivability cos of what i have been through and its pretty life threatening but here i am

Coldfreeze

Noble Team was made up of the best of the best of Spartans 3s and so they were not worth wasting on a suicide mission....

Also some Spartans 4s are Spartan 3s and 2s. :)

Spartan 4s are NOT 3s or 2s because once you're a 3 or 2 you stay that way. An xbox 360 doesn't become an Xbox One(that was an example.

But some Spartan 3s or 2s do have armor that was made for 4s(just because it is better armor)

I identify with Spartan-IV's.

I like the idea of regular military personne,l with enough work and determination, being able to become the premier soldier of the UNSC, a Spartan. It really promotes the idea, "if you work hard enough, you can reach any goal" and I like that aspect of Spartan-IV's a lot.

Spartan 4s are NOT 3s or 2s because once you're a 3 or 2 you stay that way. An xbox 360 doesn't become an Xbox One(that was an example.

But some Spartan 3s or 2s do have armor that was made for 4s(just because it is better armor)

Here is the thing, they are. when they implemented the spartan-IV's all of the remaining spartan 2s or 3s were implementend into this branch. officially they are spartan-IV's. unofficially they are still spartan 3s and 2s.

The thing is that there is a lot of controversy about using children, the reason that Catherine Halsey has been branded a war criminal, so they thought that the best thing to do was cover it up and blame Catherine Halsey.

Since I am having issues quoting people I will have to make due with other methods...

@Yoshi

Spartan-IV's are not unaugmented Marines. In order to operate MJOLNIR armor they require physical augmentation. The major differences are the age when augmentations are applied and their success rate. In the Spartan-IV case they are applied much later in life and have a high success rate with a much broader range of candidates. Far superior to the augmentations used in the Spartan-II and III programs.

@Coldfreeze

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? First of all the Spartan-III program wasn't at Reach except in that craptastic story from the game Halo: Reach. Of which Bungie screwed the pooch. No Spartan-IIs (Beyond Kurt) worked with the Spartan-IIIs much less knew they existed. Out of Alpha company (300 Spartan-IIIs) all are KIA. Beta Company (300 Spartan-IIIs) are all KIA except 2. Gamma Company (330 Spartan-IIIs) are all KIA with the exception of 7. That accounts for every single Spartan-III ever created. None died on Reach. None even made it to Reach in the first place. The Halo: Reach game can kiss my booty because as far as I am concerned none of it is canon (including the crap they tried to do to the PoA). No stupidity of Spartan-IIIs having MJOLNIR armor either.

Spartan-III armor was known as SPI armor. It is a much lighter version of MJOLNIR armor. Far less defensive capabilities but has similar physical augmentations as MJOLNIR armor. Take note that SPI armor does not have shields. The one thing it is superior with is its built in active camo. However even that fails after the armor take enough damage.

The Spartan-III program itself was built around the idea of taking the fight to the Covenant. To do extremely high risk combat actions behind enemy lines (one might call them suicide missions). This doesn't mean they are expendable however. The process was streamlined from the Spartan-II program, allowing a broader range of candidates for augmentation (still limited by age however) and training. The augmentations themselves were improved to allow this broader selection (but not stronger augmentation). The armor they wear, while superior to Marine and ODST armor, is far less expensive then the MJOLNIR armor system. It was the start of mass production of Spartans, though not nearly efficient enough.

Please don't think that the Spartan-IIIs were cheap. They were bloody expensive, however they were cheaper than the Spartan-II program.

@Everyone and anyone

The Spartan-IIs were nearly wiped out on Reach. Including the so called Spartans who were stuck on the SoF (another FU to previously established lore). If I recall correctly only 7 Spartan-IIs survived the battle of Reach (Grace, Kelly, Will, Fred, Linda [all be it in stasis], Anton and Li). Of those 7 only half survived till the end of Onyx (Fred, Kelly and Linda).

As I said earlier, there was none of this Spartan-III BS on Reach. Not to mention the entire space battle was giving a giant middle finger in Halo: Reach.

Anywho, there are 4 surviving Spartan-IIs (unless you believe the BS about John killing Linda in which case there are 3, see elaboration below) as well as 9 Spartan-IIIs. Though I don't really know what happened to the squad that was put into slipspace capsules. No idea if they were revived or not so I cut that number down to 4 Spartan-IIIs capable of operation.

If you want to get down to it the greatest difference between the Spartan-IIs, IIIs and the Spartan-IVs is their training. The Spartan-IIs and IIIs were training from childhood. They didn't develop attachments like other children would. Instead they were basically brainwashed into a particular mindset. This made them socially awkward if not out right outcasts. If it isn't combat oriented or training oriented they lack the social skills to deal with it. At least they have lacked the social skills to deal with it. That kind of skill is learned, they are just getting a very late start on it.

Being as combat oriented as the are, they process things differently than Marines that have become Spartan-IVs. It is all they have known (or at least can remember) while the Marines have experienced life outside of the military and view things far differently. Does this make the Spartan-IVs less able? It is possible from particular points of view but it can also make them more capable than previous generations of Spartans from other points of view. This isn't to say that the Spartan-IVs haven't picked up on the exclusiveness of the Spartan program. Far from it.

Sorry if you feel insulted but in all honesty the lack of background knowledge on this topic was destroying any chance of people understanding the question.

Speaking of the question, are you referring to a particular group of Spartans to identify with or an individual Spartan to identify with? Your answer OP includes nearly 1000 Spartans, which is why I ask. More over, while it is your personal opinion and totally correct to you, you wouldn't have qualified for the Spartan-III program. Their age limit was low to mid teens. Just thought I would point that out.

As for me I would probably identify most with Fred-104. But that is just me.

Elaboration:

There were 33 Spartan-IIs who survived the augmentation process without debilitating side effects. Of those 33 Spartans 2 died and 2 are MIA (Sam and Sheila are dead, Randall and Kurt MIA). That leaves 29 Spartan-IIs alive and accounted for. According to the book The Fall of Reach, all 29 of those Spartan-IIs were present for the battle. Grey Team and Maria included (I am going by publish date here).

Of those 29 Spartans, 3 were detached to an orbital station (John, Linda and James). Only 2 survived that action (Linda was revived at a later date). The rest were sent down to Reach to hold off the Covenant advance. Fred and Kelly managed to meet up with Dr. Halsey, Vinh, Isacc and Will. Both Vinh and Isacc die while letting the other 4 escape. Anton, Grace and Li are with Admiral Whitcomb and meet up with John when he arrives after the events of Halo CE. Eventually both groups meet and get off planet.

The rest of the Spartans were killed while defending power generators for the orbital MAC cannons when a Covenant ship glassed the area.

The survivors ended up stopping a giant Covenant fleet on their way back to Earth but loosing Li and Anton to a plasma strike in space combat and Grace to a pair of Brutes on a Covenant station. This leaves John, Kelly, Fred, Will and Linda alive.

Will dies in Onyx while going hand to hand with a pair of hunters. Thus we are left with just John, Kelly, Linda and Fred. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...