Why no Forrunner Vehicals?

Delete Me

Yah man, they have teleportational capabilities, so they don't really need them, if you remember some of those super machines in Halo 2 there were huge flying drone things, but with this technologically advanced race we're talking about, I could definitely see them using drones instead of manned vehicles, and with the teleportational capabilities I could see them not needing vehicles, but then again in Halo Wars the fore-runners had ships that the covenant were going to use against us but we destroyed them, and then the Diadact had his super huge ship, I could see it eventually happening, but then again maybe they got so "Advanced" that they didn't need manned vehicles.

• Like 1

The problem with Forerunner vehicles is that most Forerunner tech encountered are machines... sentient vehicles. It would be like trying to pilot an Enforcer. You can hop on top of it, but unless you hack into the system that operates it, you won't be able to pilot the darn thing.

I'd like promethean vehicles but it wouldn't make sense or seem right for them. I mean, they can FLY and they can TELEPORT. If I had a choice between flying a plane or just teleporting to the dang place, which do you'd think I'd choose? Lol.

Also the Promethean Vehicles would have to be pretty big or the Knights would have trouble getting inside the dang thing. I imagine two Knights trying to push another into the driver seat through a hatch they have to squeeze through. I also think them driving vehicles at all would sort of look silly. It just doesn't fit their nature. They always appear very up front and direct as well as being extremely aggressive, so them sitting in a cockpit and running you over to death would seem hilariously out of character.

One more thing: a SPARTAN would have to be pretty stupid to punch a knight in the face and try to drag them out of the vehicle. I imagine a player trying to hijack a Knight but he counter attacks with his arm blade, sending the player flying while simultaneously yelling "ACCESS DENIED!!!"

• 1 month later...

Well, I agree with some of the other members about how it

would clutter things up, and Shock is right, what would the

forerunner vehicles do that the UNSC or covenant ones can't?

It would be interesting to see some new vehicles but I think

343 should replace some of the other vehicles with the forerunner

vehicles if they do add any.

Yah man, they have teleportational capabilities, so they don't really need them, if you remember some of those super machines in Halo 2 there were huge flying drone things, but with this technologically advanced race we're talking about, I could definitely see them using drones instead of manned vehicles, and with the teleportational capabilities I could see them not needing vehicles, but then again in Halo Wars the fore-runners had ships that the covenant were going to use against us but we destroyed them, and then the Diadact had his super huge ship, I could see it eventually happening, but then again maybe they got so "Advanced" that they didn't need manned vehicles.

You mean Forerunner Enforcers? xD

Anyway, yea. I agree. Instead of actual manned vehicles, they could use Drones...Sentinels for example. They have a crap-ton or different Sentinel Variants. Like:

UnN_Sentinel.png

Boom. Strato-Sentinels and that huge...sentinel thing that can level cities...

The only manned Forerunner vehicle I know of is the War Sphinx, in which I think will appear in Halo 5.

I was kind've disappointed with the vehicle selection Halo 4. I was a bit underwhelmed. If forerunner vehicles were to come to Halo 5, I'd like to have something similar to this:

BattleDroidSTAP.jpg

It'd be similar to a ghost but perhaps a bit faster and a tad uncontrollable.

• Like 1

It makes no sense within the lore. Why make vehicles when you have Cimbat Skins (At Least) 6x better than MJOLNIR armour (Halo: The Flood), the ability to create full AI on a whim and teleportation? Plus, handheld weapons more deadly that some mounter armaments. It would make more sense to insert a Prometheans AI into a tank 'shell'c but a Knight Commander is already able to go to-toe-with a Mantis.

Additionally, it is seen in a cuts end on Reclaimer, that there were many star fighters in use in the a forerunner-Hunan war, and Halo Legends shows tank-like Sentinels in war. Halo 2 also shows Sentinel Enforcers which can Shrek Scorpion and Wraith tanks.

Short answer- no need for vehicles. Sentinels and AI can fill most heavy combat duties, and Forerunners already carry heavy weaponry as a handheld (See: Incineration Cannon)

• Like 1

The reason there are no forerunner vehicles is probably the fact that the Didact is the only one left. Prometheans do not have need of them and since the forerunners are extinct except for the Didact of course, I think most of their vehicles are gone or wasted away. with exception of those on shield worlds (Halo wars shows some)

But also don't forget that the UNSC infinity uses some reverse engineered forerunner tech and most of the covenant used reverse engineered forerunner tech.

Why would there be any need for them if there is no one to steer it, I think most resources went toward maintaining the Halo arrays and the shield worlds, vehicles would be absolute.

Well, why would we have Forerunner Vehicles? I never really saw them use any in the game...

If they can pull it off and make it balanced, then that might be a different story... but the size and shape of forerunners compared to humans or even elites is extremely different. This I don't think forerunner vehicles would work very well in the next Halo.

Bacon but if it makes the game better and more fun but breaks lore....

Should it not be in ?

Gameplay comes first lore second ? :)

No. There's a difference between the damage a gun does, and adding a completely new vehicle. There is a very large dedicated Halo lore community out there who value story over gameplay.

Having a Forerunner vehicle makes literally zero sense. Like, seriously. Their standard infantry is already as powerful as the UNSC and Covenant's most advanced troops and vehicles. They don't need vehicles.

Having human elements with reverse-engineered stuff? Great- such as the ONI REAP-X Quad Walker, which uses Hardlight on it's driver canopy. That's cool, but it needs to make sense from a lore standpoint, hence why Halo 3 and Reach are despised.

Edited by BaconShelf

Bacon but what is the point of a game if you only care about the Lore ?

Why buy it at all if you don't care about the gameplay because that is why we play games. We play games to have fun when it comes down to it and just because this breaks lore or that. Does not say it should be in the game as the gameplay should come first not lore. I am not saying go lore breaking mad like say there and now 4000 Halo rings. That would be stupid but little things like a Forerunner vehicle. Why would they not have one anyway. sure there forces without them is all well and good but with vehicles they could be even better. :)

Considering the story is the only thing I like in Halo, I'd say story>gameplay. In the same way I see Fallout better than Halo 4's online. Terrible mechanics, amazing story.

Considering the story is the only thing I like in Halo, I'd say story>gameplay. In the same way I see Fallout better than Halo 4's online. Terrible mechanics, amazing story.

I consider the story the main reason I love Halo.

I remember when I first played Halo. I did not have a xbox original, but It released for the pc, I didn't buy it, but my mom pirated it for me (I know pirating is bad) I finished it in one sitting, I was 12 years old and only played games such as unreal and counter strike.

I fell in love with the universe, the Masterchief became a hero in my eyes and I never let go.

Halo 2 came out, but I did not have a xbox original and even when it was released for pc I could not play it since I had no Vista OS.

But a few years later the xbox 360 was released and of course Halo 3 was announced. I worked all summer long to be able to buy a 360, I had a meager pay of 2,20 an hour and only worked 5 hours or even less a day. I saved up all my money, didn't spend a dime of it.

And just before my before my birthday I bought my 360, with the elder scrolls IV: Oblivion. I was so incredibly proud of myself.

Then Halo 3 was released, I played 2 already (PC ugrade and such) I finished the game so fast, I played it on one of those old TV's and could barely make out the subtitles, but I loved it. When I first finished it I did not see the post credits scene and presumed that the chief was dead and so one of my childhood heroes and I teared up, I could not believe it. The next day at school a friend of mine told me to see the after credits scene.

I went home, booted my game and went trough the whole last campaign mission, all the while thinking: Could it be, is he still alive?

I cheered loudly when it turned out he was, but sadly the chief was lost in space.

ODST came and Reach as well, but I kept on wondering, what about chief, what about Cortana.

Well now you probably understand that when Halo 4 was announced, I jumped up, I shouted yes, I cheered.

After many months, it reseleased and when Cortana died, once again I teared up.

The reason I love Halo is not because of the multiplayer or the mechanics or the vehicles, it is the story, the lore to me is important, Halo shaped a big part of my childhood and it's a big part of who I am and what I like. 

But it also gave me great advice: "Never make a girl a promise you can't keep."

Regardless of gender I live by this advice, a man's word is his worth.

The thing with forerunner vehicles is that the Prometheans don't really need them. The average Knight is already heavily shielded and armoured, extremely manoeuvrable thanks to their teleporting and dash abilities, and carries heavy weapons. Considering they can also spawn Watchers to protect them with Hardlight Shields, the truth is that putting the average Promethean into a vehicle would make them less effective in combat, not more. Plus, to compensate, there'd need to be more heavy weapons like Fuel Rod Guns, Rocket Launcher, etc. around to allow players to avoid the vehicles being completely overpowered if they were actually more effective than regular Knights, and any spare ammunition would then make taking care of the regular enemies a bit easier.

There's also the issue of redundancy. For almost every role on the battlefield, there's already a vehicle which can does its job: for transports/mobile weapons you've got the various Warthogs, for light single-crew vehicles there's Ghosts, for artillery there's the Wraith, for air superiority there's the Banshee, and for slow but very powerful tanking there's, well, a tank. Any Promethean vehicles would probably just be doing the same sort of things, except with a different coat of paint. If we were to come up with new types of vehicles, which served new purposes, then there'd be a good case for them being Promethean-based, but otherwise there's just not much point.

• Like 4