Battlefield 404

Grunt404

Map: Battlefield 404

Gametype: Slayer/Capture the flag

Player Count: 10-12 Players

Creator: GRUNT HUNTER404

Waypoint Link: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/grunt%20hunter404/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=dd55264f-b87b-4a6f-a820-6048a1a7b9b4

Hello people of the 343i fourm, I am GRUNT HUNTER404.

I would like to introduce to you my latest and most updated version of my map Battlefield 404. This new map was part of one of my old projects since the realese of forge island into Halo 4. I wanted to make a map that suits at least two gametypes, that has plenty of vehicle action, but the players on foot can still have a good chance, hence Battlefield 404 was created. This map was previously called Forge Island Forest Battle when I first created it, but after playing some custom games on the map, I realised that it definitely need more improvements. I changed the structure on one side of the map, added a banshee to it since none of my other maps included a banshee and added new weapon drops to combat the vehicles that pretty much ruled the map and also changed the name.

It is important to have even teams on this map as one team may struggle with not enough players. Capture the flag really encourages teamwork in order to win, but be careful because just as fast as you can capture the enemies flag, he can capture yours.

Sorry about all the talk, now you can have a look at some of the screenshots of my map and see what you think.

If you like the map, give it a download and play it for yourself.

post-75807-0-54188700-1386157630_thumb.jpg

post-75807-0-56187100-1386157831_thumb.jpg

post-75807-0-87242800-1386158226_thumb.jpg

post-75807-0-47112000-1386158298_thumb.jpg

post-75807-0-95926100-1386158394_thumb.jpg

post-75807-0-23200300-1386158481_thumb.jpg

post-75807-0-60542100-1386158521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A DMR is a very good loadout weapon to use on this map, along side the plasma pistol. I also found when playing with friends, a light rifle is another great weapon to use and that the DMR does not alway dominate the map.

Irregardless, the map is still extremely open. And flat. Open and flat.

A DMR is a very good loadout weapon to use on this map, along side the plasma pistol. I also found when playing with friends, a light rifle is another great weapon to use and that the DMR does not alway dominate the map.

That is not a good sign if your map favors one weapon type over the other. Perhaps you should add more cover. 

Irregardless, the map is still extremely open. And flat. Open and flat.

Agreed.  You should really change that Grunt404. 

Center should have Laser for Banshee AND Vehicles.

Needs ALOT more cover in the open fields. DMR and PP domination are poor map design choices, especially on Big Team maps.

In terms of Vehicles, with good such an open map with excellent camping spots such as the Sniper Rifle spawn towers,  you need tanks to counter them. be them Wraith or Scorpion, they are needed. As you have a Banshee on a map with little aerial cover, I would choose the Wraith, 1 for both teams. Also, Uneven vehicle distribution is also a map flaw. Give both teams a Banshee, or no Banshees.

The Man Cannons need buildings around them.

With Banshee(s) on the map, you need more roofs on your buildings, or it is going be so they are going to be ridiculously OP, even with Sniper Rifles and DMRs taking potshots. A smart Banshee user will make sure his team gets Laser while preventing the enemy from getting to their Sniper Rifle, keeping him safe and easily baiting foes running for the sniper for easy kills.

The direction of the Tower Two Story makes sniping and DMRing to easy. Throwing long distance Grenades in there, and the chances of them being effective, are slim at best.

I do not mean to discourage you, but these problems really need to be addressed to make the map.

New waypoint link:https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/grunt%20hunter404/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=67b7108d-8b87-40d4-9207-116eb6f9dbfa

I have now taken the comments and advice into consideration and I have chaged some parts of the map.

I have added some more cover, such as the mini bunker and crates that are laying around. I have added a weapon crate on each side of the map, one for blue team and one for red team, made from dominion barricades containing ammo for the DMR, Battle Rifle, Assault Rifle and Magnum.

I hope now that my map will now function better. Please leave any more comments below to tell me what you think.

• 4 weeks later...

New waypoint link:https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/grunt%20hunter404/halo4/fileshare#!/?section=GameMap&SearchDate=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0&details=67b7108d-8b87-40d4-9207-116eb6f9dbfa

I have now taken the comments and advice into consideration and I have chaged some parts of the map.

I have added some more cover, such as the mini bunker and crates that are laying around. I have added a weapon crate on each side of the map, one for blue team and one for red team, made from dominion barricades containing ammo for the DMR, Battle Rifle, Assault Rifle and Magnum.

I hope now that my map will now function better. Please leave any more comments below to tell me what you think.

I suggest updating the OP with pictures of the newest version. I'll give this updated version a download and drop some feedback when I'm able to.

You added cover alright. Unfortunately, you did it with the worst way possible. What you have most in this map is called lazy cover.

In competitive maps, structural/multifunctional cover is better.

Despite the abundance of cover albeit lazy, the map is still extremely open. It's also still too flat. None of these problems can be fixed without a complete and total reforge. I'm not going to list down all the problems I find because even if you fix these, the map's overall layout is still pretty bad. It's a very cluttered mess.

I would suggest starting a new map that is not a flat grassland with objects scattered about.

I would also suggest reading these articles if you intend to pursue competitive forging. They're great reads for beginning forgers.

Edited by Zandril
  • Like 1