Player Population!!

ProudDrunkIrish

Now this is not the typical rant at the loss of players, it is related to the issue but is more a question.

I have been playing in the morning after nightshift all week and noted that around 09:30 GMT there are less than 10K players.

Previous to this week there always seemed to be closer to 30K, now i do not have the DLC downloaded so am wondering did the recent update make it so I only see people in my shoes (i.e no DL content) or are the numbers actually this low.

It just seems to low to be right, now I am aware that its between 01:00-03:00 or so in the states and its morning midweek in europe (i.e. work/school time for many) but still seems wrong.

Anyone know if this is something to do with what I can see after an update or is it actual figures??

• Like 1

The numbers are THAT low, sadly.

Wow that is not particularily good, especially as things are starting to improve somewhat. I suppose the damage was done early and recovery may be all but impossible.

That said it did seem to drop drastically from last week, did some big title get released??

Reading these numbers is one thing, understanding them is something else entirely and far from an exact science. That's one of the many reasons you don't see me talking about player population much, because I feel like most attempts to interpret that information fail outside broad strokes.

There are billions of variables affecting how much people play or don't play. You can say something general like "there are fewer now than there were..." but you can't pretend to have perfect answers for the question of "Why?" Games naturally eventually decline as do most things that aren't necessities. That can be sped up by one of those many variables I mentioned, or slowed down. People who pretend to know are probably overpaid for trying. Even with years of education and training they'll still get it wrong, and while I don't blame them for not being omniscient, I DO wish we'd quit expecting them to be right up unto the point when they're wrong about something.

I haven't been playing for my own set of reasons, someone else will have stopped for a completely different set. Gamers as a whole might have stopped playing for another set of reasons. As long as you aren't making and marketing the games I don't recommend spending a lot of energy trying to understand why other people do or don't play, even on a mass scale.

Reading these numbers is one thing, understanding them is something else entirely and far from an exact science. That's one of the many reasons you don't see me talking about player population much, because I feel like most attempts to interpret that information fail outside broad strokes.

There are billions of variables affecting how much people play or don't play. You can say something general like "there are fewer now than there were..." but you can't pretend to have perfect answers for the question of "Why?" Games naturally eventually decline as do most things that aren't necessities. That can be sped up by one of those many variables I mentioned, or slowed down. People who pretend to know are probably overpaid for trying. Even with years of education and training they'll still get it wrong, and while I don't blame them for not being omniscient, I DO wish we'd quit expecting them to be right up unto the point when they're wrong about something.

I haven't been playing for my own set of reasons, someone else will have stopped for a completely different set. Gamers as a whole might have stopped playing for another set of reasons. As long as you aren't making and marketing the games I don't recommend spending a lot of energy trying to understand why other people do or don't play, even on a mass scale.

The thread was not really about why people were not playing I was stating a fact that the same day same time 1 week before there seemed to be approx 3 times more people playing. It was a comment on the drastic drop and I was more worried that 343 had altered something so i did not see all the players online for some reason (mythought being i could only see fellow gamers who have not bought the Map packs)

The reasons why people have quit are many and far between but a sudden exodus usually has a fairly consistent reason.

When you release an unfinished game, you cant expect people to be patient for very long, especially with a new COD released

Exactly, I came back from playing cod for halo 4. Like everyone else I am barely hanging on to this game. And i didn't really even like black ops 2 that much because it takes a lot of game play to get good stuff. Hopefully 343 has big changes coming in april. And also 343 needs to deliver something to the community that explains whats going on and practically beg for people to give them another shot. But that would only happen in a perfect world. Halo 4 was a kick start for 343. They got our money and they are happy now. From 343 actions they don't give a **** about halo 4 and i have gotten ready to watch this game die. But pray for the best :pray:

Im still playing it, so why would I care if other people I do not know play it? I dont...

You have to take into consideration of the time of day and if it's a weekday or weekend.

Then you take into account of all of the other optional games that people are able to play (lets just stick to FPS games).

It's not like back when Halo 2 was released and it was the only huge title to have competitve online gameplay. Today, there are SOOOO MANY FPS games to compete with that the population is now more divided between the various titles. Hell, there is still Halo 3 and Halo Reach that retain a population away from Halo 4. Not to mention all of the Battlefield and COD titles that have online play with a population.

Gotta think of the times, its not 2004. It's 2013!

Im still playing it, so why would I care if other people I do not know play it? I dont...

You have to take into consideration of the time of day and if it's a weekday or weekend.

Then you take into account of all of the other optional games that people are able to play (lets just stick to FPS games).

It's not like back when Halo 2 was released and it was the only huge title to have competitve online gameplay. Today, there are SOOOO MANY FPS games to compete with that the population is now more divided between the various titles. Hell, there is still Halo 3 and Halo Reach that retain a population away from Halo 4. Not to mention all of the Battlefield and COD titles that have online play with a population.

Gotta think of the times, its not 2004. It's 2013!

erm when halo 3 was out there were tons of fps that were popular and halo 3 still maintained a 100-300k pop for 3years plus... Games bad not much are playing it bottom line.

• Like 1

erm when halo 3 was out there were tons of fps that were popular and halo 3 still maintained a 100-300k pop for 3years plus... Games bad not much are playing it bottom line.

I would not say tons. Barely any if I remember correctly. It wasnt until CoD 4 came out, that another option was really available.

it is not 2007 either....and you cant say those numbers stayed the same for 3 years without giving me proof. i played for 3 years straight, and I remember the population was nothing like its first year. I remember trying to play the game on release date and the servers crashed because soooo many people were trying to pop it in.

I would not say tons. Barely any if I remember correctly. It wasnt until CoD 4 came out, that another option was really available.

this guy would essentially be correct. COD MW2 was the first COD game I ever played and it was during the summer (for about 2 months) before Halo Reach was released. Only really 2 big COD titles were out at the timeframe of Halo 3 and I am unsure about other shooters as Halo is my primary game of choice. Oh...can't forget Gears of War as it started during the launch of the 360. :P

TODAY, 2013, the market has for starters:

COD 4 MW

COD MW2

COD MW3

COD World at War

COD Black Ops

COD Black Ops 2

Battlefield Bad Company

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Battlefield 3

Crysis 2

Crysis 3

Gears of War

Gears of War 2

Gears of War 3

Halo 3

Halo Reach

Sorry if some of these titles arnt TOP titles. They're just ones I have noticed in the past that seemed to be big hits. The only other shooter I have ever really focused on other than Halo is MW2 and MW3. Traditionally after a few years of playing Halo nonstop, I'll finally put it down and pick up MW and play until the next Halo title drops. I played MW2 for 2 months (the summer before Halo Reach) since after 2-3 years I finally his my peak and got bored haha. I played MW3 for about 6 months or so. I got bored of Reach after a little over a year (that's just sad).

I havnt been able to play Halo 4 like I used to with previous titles since I'm out of school working jobs and trying to build a career in these crappy times. Needless to say, there are wayyyyyyy less hours in a day to spend addicted to games. And I'm sure I'm not the only one around here.

So, it's not because this game is crap. It's because we are also probably seeing a transition of older gamers (Vets) leaving (or spending much less time as I do) and new gamers (remember how old you were when you started playing online multiplayer like Halo 2) coming in who have the time to kill a whole day playing games.

I think this game is great and is poor to consider a game trash if the population is'nt up to YOUR standards.

Wow that is not particularily good, especially as things are starting to improve somewhat. I suppose the damage was done early and recovery may be all but impossible.

That said it did seem to drop drastically from last week, did some big title get released??

Oh and on another note, yes, Crysis 3 was just released a few days ago I believe. Very big title....I wont play it though haha

just go back when halo 3 came out and check all the games there was alot of amazing games just coming into the series. L4d Gears 2 mass effect COD mw2 but halo still manged a 100k populaton. Idk how people can think 30k-40k is acceptable its unlogical for a halo game thats been out for 5 months but if your having fun thats all that really counts.but don't be silly to say that halo pops not high cause of other games cause thats a silly arguement If halo was good and finshed this game would have atleast 100-150k on daily.

just go back when halo 3 came out and check all the games there was alot of amazing games just coming into the series. L4d Gears 2 mass effect COD mw2 but halo still manged a 100k populaton. Idk how people can think 30k-40k is acceptable its unlogical for a halo game thats been out for 5 months but if your having fun thats all that really counts.but don't be silly to say that halo pops not high cause of other games cause thats a silly arguement If halo was good and finshed this game would have atleast 100-150k on daily.

your opinion, and nothing more. I wouldnt even know where to look up how many unique users go onto halo within a 24 hour period. I dont know how often those in-game numbers change (cuz its not instantaneous) so you cant really just go off of that. I agree those numbers are much lower than than the previous titles (not sure about Reach). I gave you plenty of reasons and you just neglect it becuase you think it's "silly." Its not exactly "unfinished" either. It's just a whole different feel for Halo compared to the original triliogy. The playlists are shaping up great and there have been updates and fixes to bugs (like ALL Halo titles go through). What is'nt up is a file browser in game and online (which is being updated soon, and seriously, that alone doesn't break the game for me, that is just silly haha) and the ranking system. THAT is a complete 180 in the other direction as all Halo games (except CE) had a ranking system online. This might turn the core/competitive gamers away (it has truely given me replay value which is why I lasted 2-3 years on Halo 3 and the same with Halo 2).

So no...if you're going to try and pin a reason on why the population is low, it's not becuase the game isn't "finished", it's because it's not the Halo we all used to know. I have no problems with it other than replay value in the future (wondering how the web based ranking will be).

Also you totally overlooked my other options for why the population isn't to your standards...its not JUST the games...

There's even less people playing this game then there were playing halo reach on a daily basis. And there were PLENTY of games to compete when Reach was out.

The top 4 xbox population games as of feb 4th (out dated) are:

Black ops II

Minecraft.....(yeah, our generation is screwed.)

Fifa 2013

Halo 4

4th place isn't that bad really, but when you look that more people are playing 360 version of minecraft then halo....it's troubling to look at.

There's even less people playing this game then there were playing halo reach on a daily basis. And there were PLENTY of games to compete when Reach was out.

Black ops II

Fifa 2013

Halo 4

4th place isn't that bad really, but when you look that more people are playing 360 version of minecraft then halo....it's troubling to look at.

haha that minecraft bit is pretty funny, but honostly minecraft has been around for awhile. I hate it and refuse to play it as I would feel like total reject haha. I can't really compare the two honostly as if minecraft is a better game than Halo 4, that just doesn't make much sense. Different genres entirly. There are just more people willing to play a game like Minecraft (esspecially since it got thrown onto the 360 instead of just PC) than those willing to play a competitve FPS. Period.

Mass Effect did not have online multiplayer. Left 4 Dead really? Population really does not have much of a choice with these games. Plus Halo 3 had good things going for it, fun online and not much competition.

Halo 3- 2007

Mass Effect- 2007

Call of Duty 4- 2007

Left 4 Dead- 2008

Gears of War 2- 2008

P.S. Minecraft has high population because anyone can play it. Easy and fun thing to do when you just want to mess around.

Mass Effect did not have online multiplayer. Left 4 Dead really? Population really does not have much of a choice with these games. Plus Halo 3 had good things going for it, fun online and not much competition.

Halo 3- 2007

Mass Effect- 2007

Call of Duty 4- 2007

Left 4 Dead- 2008

Gears of War 2- 2008

P.S. Minecraft has high population because anyone can play it. Easy and fun thing to do when you just want to mess around.

When left for dead came out if was the first zombie shooter. to date Everyone was playing it. i seen people burn 100hours just on the demo alone I wish they did have a chart to show the numbers and such. difference was halo was NOT like any of these shooters it was its Own game. Now you look at halo 4 its just like every other game out there cod like classes loadouts perks instant respawn ect ect.

your opinion, and nothing more. I wouldnt even know where to look up how many unique users go onto halo within a 24 hour period. I dont know how often those in-game numbers change (cuz its not instantaneous) so you cant really just go off of that. I agree those numbers are much lower than than the previous titles (not sure about Reach). I gave you plenty of reasons and you just neglect it becuase you think it's "silly." Its not exactly "unfinished" either. It's just a whole different feel for Halo compared to the original triliogy. The playlists are shaping up great and there have been updates and fixes to bugs (like ALL Halo titles go through). What is'nt up is a file browser in game and online (which is being updated soon, and seriously, that alone doesn't break the game for me, that is just silly haha) and the ranking system. THAT is a complete 180 in the other direction as all Halo games (except CE) had a ranking system online. This might turn the core/competitive gamers away (it has truely given me replay value which is why I lasted 2-3 years on Halo 3 and the same with Halo 2).

So no...if you're going to try and pin a reason on why the population is low, it's not becuase the game isn't "finished", it's because it's not the Halo we all used to know. I have no problems with it other than replay value in the future (wondering how the web based ranking will be).

Also you totally overlooked my other options for why the population isn't to your standards...its not JUST the games...

so your saying halo is a completed game? no file share. no ranking system. GLitchs everywhere. Custom game features not there. Day one playlist coming months after. the game was sadly rushed and unfinshed. Most people have moved on from halo 4 now yes because its not halo more of another watered down shooter But i think if it was made right this wouldn't be a issue.

Black ops II

Fifa 2013

Halo 4

i have never played fifa but don't they only have 1v1 rank and 1v1 social or w/e. So a game that has a online matches of 1v1 beat a game like halo 4 which has big team battle of 8 on 8 players. Wow that is embrassing.

Minecraft is very fun tho.

Edited by TornadoFlame

wrong

4th is horrible. Neither Halo 2, Halo 3, and maybe even Reach EVER dropped out of #1 until the next Halo was coming out . 343 broke the mold with this game. There was no 3 month trial time, MS forced a severely under rated server system on them, from what I can tell on WayPoint forums not a SINGLE post has been replied to by 343 staff .... they have taken a COMPLETE 180 from the way Bungie did things and the population tells the story better than any book or stats ever could.

Erm by the way, let's not forget the fact that Halo has essentially turned into a poorly done version of COD. Any posts telling me I don't know what I'm talking about will be regarded as petty and refusal to accept another's opinion. You can look up my GT, I've got plenty of time on both series and I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. IMO, BO2 takes CONSIDERABLY more skill to play than Halo 4.

@Irish. To answer your question, I suspect you'll continue to see these dismal numbers unless Halo5 makes a return to Halo, not Halo Duty or Call of Halo or whatever you want to call this game. IMO, it doesn't deserve to have Halo in the name. Maybe 343's 2nd mistake or Dang, 343 didn't learn after Reach or ....

Thats what really mind boggles me.

After seeing armor abilities, and the DMR, what made 343i be like "yeah, we're definitely carrying those over".

The DMR existing doesn't even make any sense, it was around in reach, but not for the ENTIRE covenant/human/flood trilogy, and then just POOF pops up again in Halo 4. That's retarded anyway you slice it.

• Like 1