Skype To Replace XBL Voice Systems?

SykoWolf

The following is from an article on neoseeker.com

microsoftskype.jpg

According to a source at CVG, supported by some recent job listings at Microsoft, the console developer is considering replacing their current Xbox voice systems with Skype. Consider Microsoft laid down a hefty $8.5 billion sum in 2011 for Skype, I'd probably want to put that software in everything I made too. This would, effectively, make the system cross platform on top of cross-game.

The source, said to be, "familiar with the matter," was quoted saying that Microsoft would be, "consolidating all their communications technology." He also made this statement specific to Xbox:

"You might jump to the conclusion that we'll see asynchronous voice and video messages in next-gen Xbox Live."

This is one of those rumors that seems so true simply because it would be stupid not to do. I mean, think about it. Microsoft is already pushing further cross-platform synchronization, like with the Windows 8 store. They've also got this Kinect thing which makes a pretty good living room camera. Like I said earlier, they spent $8.5 billion on Skype, so just put all this stuff together and damn, that's a job well done.

As for the related job listings over at Microsoft, the company is hiring a user interface designer for the "next Xbox" at their UK-based Skype offices. The listing has the following statement:

"The team you'll join is responsible for Skype in the living room (broadly the home), across various devices but with a focus on the large screen and the next generation of Xbox."

As untrustworthy as the source's information is above, it's pretty clear what Microsoft according to this job listing, right? Hopefully we hear more information as we get closer to E3, but considering how protective console developers are of the software being run it may be a while before we confirmation. I'll say it again though: now that we've heard about this, it's silly to think Microsoft wouldn't add Skype into Xbox LIVE.

Syko's Note: I use Skype to talk to friends, as do MANY many other people, and if this is implemented properly we could be looking at a much better system to talk to our friends over XBL.

• Like 1

Syko's Note: I use Skype to talk to friends, as do MANY many other people, and if this is implemented properly we could be looking at a much better system to talk to our friends over XBL.

This is also sounds far more expensive than I am willing to pay for. I'll just stick to my free version on the laptop. And with these new gadgets, app's, and all the new bells and whistles, gives me the impression that not only is the system going to be expensive, but probably the same with xbox live gold as well. I get the feeling that the price of gold is going to be allot more than it is currently. So I think I am going to skip out on this whole new system.

Besides, I have my eye on that new Nintendo. I dont think it would hurt any if I went back to my roots for a little bit and take a break from Microsoft for a bit.

It seems pretty pointless.

I'd rather have the money spent on something actually worth it.

The XBL chat system is what I use every day and it's got flaws but they're mainly because of XBL itself.

The text messages don't need work on them because they aren't used that often...

I'm actually not that big a fan of it replacing regular party chat and private chat altogether, for the simple reason that I use my Gmail address for my Skype account, and presumably I'd need to make a new one tied to my gamertag.

This doesn't make sense, because I already have a Skype address which I use to talk to my friends and family, and I don't like having multiple accounts for services (not least because the existing account is where all my Skype credit is).

There's also the issue of whether I can control who's added to my Skype list or not: does it automatically add people who're on my friends list? Because I don't want people I know from XBL automatically having access to that. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I only use my Skype to talk to people who I really know and trust, and even though I'm very cautious about adding people as friends on XBL I simply don't have that level of trust with most of them yet. Plus, I don't want non-gamers to talk to me while I'm in a match: I join parties to talk to people I'm playing with, not talk to my grandmother about her flowers while I'm trying to beat someone to death with the butt of a flag.

So either way, I'd just end up making a second Skype account just to talk to people while I'm playing - and the existing chat system already does exactly that, so using Skype wouldn't even make any difference.

If Skype were brought in as an extra and not a replacement I'd be fine with it, because I actually quite like the idea of being able to use it from my Xbox. But making it mandatory? No, I definitely wouldn't like that, and I'd probably end up just not using a mic altogether.

• Like 1

Skype is already replacing the old msn/MS/live messenger service, got an email about it from MS a few days ago. I find this article to be vague at best. Skype is hiring people for a project concerning Xbox, big deal, for all we know its for a new app on the Xbox, or Skype will be integrated more like the WP 8 platform. I don't think we'll be using Skype for in game commo tho. I think this will be for living room skyping, most TV's do it already, so why not let the kinnect do it on any TV?

microsoft-plans-to-replace-xbox-live-chat-with-skype-report.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Many reports have been saying Microsoft and Skype agreed to use all chat sessions as Skype " But is this really worth it, what do you think?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After Microsoft purchased Skype in 2011 to the tune of $8.5 billion, it abandoned MSN Messenger in favor of integrating Skype with many of its platforms, and Microsoft reportedly plans to do the same thing with the next Xbox.

The report comes from CVG, who cite an alleged source from inside Microsoft. According to the report, Microsoft intends to make Skype the main form of communication for the company’s next-generation Xbox, which is expected to be announced in the next several months.

The source tells CVG:

“You might jump to the conclusion that we’ll see asynchronous voice and video messages in next-gen Xbox Live”.

This is only a rumor, but it’s the most believable one so far. Microsoft’s plan to integrate Skype into its product can already be seen in other areas, and it only makes sense that they would do the same for the next Xbox, especially considering Microsoft has already hinted at it.

Microsoft recently posted a job listing for its UK-based Skype offices that calls for a user interface designer, and the company’s next console is specifically named.

The listing reads:

“The team you’ll join is responsible for Skype in the living room (broadly the home), across various devices but with a focus on the large screen and the next generation of Xbox.”

Fortunately, it appears that it won’t be too much longer before all of the speculation can finally be put to rest; industry chatter suggests that Microsoft will announce the next Xbox either at E3 this year or possibly earlier.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can already use Skype while playing xbox.., that's what top teams like CoL have been doing on CoD..

How to use your Astro 2013 MixAmp Pro for your Xbox 360 and computer simultaneously, allowing you to do a variety of things...

such as..

-Record audio of your voice and of others voices to go with your gameplay

-Stream on Twitch.tv with live commentary through your Astro A40

-Listen to Music, YouTube videos, or other streams while playing Xbox 360

-Use skype chat while playing xbox instead of xbox party chat

-Reduce clutter of extra wires from external speakers, secondary headsets by allowing you to do everything using the one.. Astro A40 Audio System.

What you will need in order to use your Astro A40 Audio System simultaneously on your Xbox 360 and computer:

Hardware:

A40 Audio System ASTRO 2013 ED (comes with all the necessary cables to set this up)

http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio...-astro-edition

HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...r2-gaming.html

Xbox 360 Slim

Computer with decent specs

SOFTWARE:

ArcSoft ShowBiz (comes with HD PVR2) to record your Xbox 360 footage.

Audacity (or something equivalent) to record your voice while doing live commentary.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Sony Vegas Pro 11 (or something equivalent) to add the audio track of your voice to your Xbox 360 footage.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/buy/vegaspro

Xsplit, Open Broadcasting Software, FFsplit, or similar streaming software in order to Live Stream Xbox 360 footage with Live Commentary. (to sites such as Twitch Tv)

Xsplit- http://www.xsplit.com/

OBS- http://obsproject.com/

FFsplit- http://www.ffsplit.com/

*Make sure to also update your FIRMWARE for the 2013 A40 Audio System Mixamp*

http://www.astrogaming.com/firmware

This update helps fix sensitivity problems that you may have with the microphone on both your Xbox and the PC. I initially had trouble with my microphone volume fluctuating on other people's end and also with it not picking up right when I started talking, but this firmware update fixed all of those problems for me.

Also make sure to update the rest of your drivers on your PC by either manually going into the settings and checking for updates or by using the Windows Live Updater that covers most of the updates to ensure that everything has the latest patch and is running at the optimal level.

Oh and... Comment, Rate, Subscribe if you liked this video and/or found it helpful!

Be sure to checkout and Follow my Twitter for LIVE updates on video releases, gaming news, and general information! www.twitter.com/xHoNNy7

Thanks, Happy Gaming!

Leave any Questions you may have below biggrin.png

Troubleshooting:

Make sure you have your Astro Mixamp set as default device. Should look something like... http://imgur.com/a/UCDC7

Also..

2013 MixAmp Pro -- Version 1.3 -- 2/7/2013 -- 3155 FIRMWARE UPDATE

http://www.astrogaming.com/firmware

- Fixed USB mic glitch bug.

- Reduced voice volume in live stream output.

- Adjusted PS3 mic level.

- New default presets, optimized for quiet environments.

Preset changes

1 -- Pro: Improved Voice EQ, Improved Noise Gate

2 -- Core: Improved Voice EQ, Improved Noise Gate

3 -- Media: Improved Voice EQ, Improved Noise Gate

4 -- LAN: LAN Friendly Voice EQ, LAN Friendly Noise Gate

• 1 month later...