Is Bumper Jumper Worth The Sacrifice?

FleshBack

I've been playing between bumper jumper and default controller layouts for about a couple of weeks now. I have to say, I absolutely love it. The ability to jump and aim at once has saved my hide on many occasions. My aim isn't tight enough yet to where I can get headashots as deliberately as I like to, but I imagine that comes with practice.

However, I'm also quite fond of the Jet Pack and the many advantages--albeit situational ones-- it provides. I don't do clawing, I'd prefer to either play one way or the other. My question is how do other players reconcile these choices and decide which one to choose?

My playstyle is about medium range. I hate long ranges because targets often elude me behind cover before I can deliver the killing shot, and short range is risky with all these pesky pocket shotguns everywhere. Assuming I am using a DMR or Battle Rifle as a primary, what would be a good substitute armor ability since the jet pack isn't an option for me on the bumper jumper. I would like one that pairs well with bumper jumper and would provide some extra utility or mobility. If not I'm inclined to switch back to default.

Any input from anyone that has also struggled with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Since Reach bumper jumper became much more of a personal preference thing because AAs gave the left bumper new significance (Previously in Halo 3, where bumper jumper was introduced, left bumper was used for something dumb like switching grenades). It took game developers awhile to realize the bumpers were more important than the face buttons.

So should you use it? If you want to I recommend avoiding certain AAs like the Hardlight shield and probably the jet pack.

What you really need to figure out is how you want to play and what AAs you want to specialize in, because your controller settings will make or break certain AAs.

If you do use it, I recommend getting more accustomed to AAs like Regen Field, Autosentry, and others that don't really benefit from the aim stick being used close to the time you use the AA (Camo, usually PV).

I think if you DO choose to use it you will be happier with your gameplay overall, but you really need to choose your AAs wisely and change your playstyle accordingly. I think it IS worth the sacrifice, but it IS also a "sacrifice."

• Like 1

That option sounds expensive, as alluring as it seems. I play Halo on the cheap.

I appreciate the input Bloody Initiate. I think I will chug on with Bumper Jumper. It seems to me, and what your post made apparent was that being good with the jet pack provides you with circumstantial results. However, getting good with Bumper Jumper would allow me to raise my general skill which should help my performance in all other aspects of the game--especially SWAT.

I use Bumper Jumper simply because the controls are more similar with ones I'm familiar with in Reach. In certain gametypes, jumpshots are pretty important. And honestly, I've never been much for the jetpack. I see people pwn people with it, but on the other hand I see people get pwnd using it.

When inside of combat, you'll probably find that an increase in your ability to jump will prove to be a lot more useful than the Jetpack, as while most players are good at tracking and hitting the players who're moving in near-straight lines that come with being on the ground or using the Jetpack, they have a lot more difficulty in keeping their aim on someone who's constantly jumping around.

Outside of combat, it should also be an advantage as even if you have to waste time moving your hands around the control, you're not at risk of getting shot if you get it wrong.

Ultimately, just go for whichever feels more comfortable, as the increased mobility will not make up for the problems that arise due to hitting the wrong buttons or having to actually think about what your hands are doing, instead of being able to control your character subconsciously.

• 3 months later...

Man, how did this get bumped? Yeah, after playing on Bumper Jumper for a while I have come to realize that Jet pack was and always will be a crutch for mobility. The way I look at it, a lot of playlists don't allow armor abilities so the game favors those with the control settings that are viable in the most amount of playlists. For that reason, I will probably never use a Jet Pack again. Also, I feel like you shouldn't need a Jet Pack to be good. You should be perfectly viable with standard movement, whether it be Default, recon, BJ, or whatever.

Bumper jumper is IMO much more beneficial. Your accuracy improves and your knowledge for the game improves too. You feel free to roam and do more with your spartan with barely moving your left thumb from the stick. My AA is thruster pack for my two main loadouts. I really have not had a problem because it literally takes a split second to go back and forth between the X buttom and the stick and thats more than enough time for the animation to be over and me to keep going on aiming. Just my two cents....