Anyone else thinks Halo 4 Slayer sucks?

Jay_Magnus

I am very disappointed with Halo 4's Slayer, it's not fun at all. The matches just don't flow well and it's so slow, defense is too much of a focus in this game. There's little incentive to move around, and instead of the games being about which team shoots better, it's more about which team can be the cheapest. The maps definitely don't help the cause either.

• Like 1

I think you're just having difficulty prioritizing loadouts per the map you're in. A lot of camping is easily countered by PV and a few grenades w/boltshot. It's also a lot more offensive than it was before, and a lot more fast paced due to the fast killtimes. Sprint for instance isn't op in this game.

If you think this game is more about playing the cheapest and less about shooting skill then you never played Slayer on Halo 3, lmao. All that game was about was obtaining a bunch of power weapons that you couldn't even defend yourself against because the starter weapons were so weak. But yeah, I feel like the vanilla slayer is really boring in this game. I blame the ordnance and the lack of weapon spawns. The ordnance also generates so much randomness that it isn't even fun sometimes. At least in past games you had a general idea of when/where you would run into a sword/rocket/sniper enemy, but now anyone around the corner just might have the right gun to beat you. Luckily the starter guns are powerful enough to close the gap between power weapon and non-power weapon, but there just needs to be much more incentive to move around the map and hold places down. Only thing I could think of would be different map design with natural terrain advantages. Most people usually try to hold mid on Ragnarok for instance, because the hill and pelican have major advantage. But on a map like Adrift people are just going to roam everywhere they care to. Only other fix could be abusable spawns so you could get into position and set up a nasty contain or spawn trap, but most people don't like the idea of that, especially if you join in progress and don't deserve the trap that you find yourself in.

No, actually. I'm having more fun with Infinity Slayer in Halo 4 than I've had with Team Slayer or any Slayer variant in Halo 3 or Halo: Reach. It's fast paced, more so than even Halo 3, that's something I really like. I enjoy the customisation options they've given to us, allowing for more depth and letting players play just how they'd like. It's much more dynamic than previous Halo titles.

If you think this game is more about playing the cheapest and less about shooting skill then you never played Slayer on Halo 3, lmao. All that game was about was obtaining a bunch of power weapons that you couldn't even defend yourself against because the starter weapons were so weak. But yeah, I feel like the vanilla slayer is really boring in this game. I blame the ordnance and the lack of weapon spawns. The ordnance also generates so much randomness that it isn't even fun sometimes. At least in past games you had a general idea of when/where you would run into a sword/rocket/sniper enemy, but now anyone around the corner just might have the right gun to beat you. Luckily the starter guns are powerful enough to close the gap between power weapon and non-power weapon, but there just needs to be much more incentive to move around the map and hold places down. Only thing I could think of would be different map design with natural terrain advantages. Most people usually try to hold mid on Ragnarok for instance, because the hill and pelican have major advantage. But on a map like Adrift people are just going to roam everywhere they care to. Only other fix could be abusable spawns so you could get into position and set up a nasty contain or spawn trap, but most people don't like the idea of that, especially if you join in progress and don't deserve the trap that you find yourself in.

On adrift I've noticed people trying to control the hallways, but yeah, it doesn't have much map control.

I think there needs to be a respawn timer in 4v4.

I think you're just having difficulty prioritizing loadouts per the map you're in. A lot of camping is easily countered by PV and a few grenades w/boltshot. It's also a lot more offensive than it was before, and a lot more fast paced due to the fast killtimes. Sprint for instance isn't op in this game.

I've been playing the matchmaking constantly since release, and no, loadouts are not my problem. And once again no, it's not more offensive and the killtimes are not faster. In fact, there's even more ways to escape death in this game. And PV doesn't really counter much, especially if players with PV fight other players with PV, it becomes a standstill.

I think you're just playing with the wrong people. In my experience, the matches are much quicker and more explosive than in any other Halo game. Part of this is due to the respawn time, and part of it is the way that the maps are designed. I love slayer in this game more than in any other Halo.

I've been playing the matchmaking constantly since release, and no, loadouts are not my problem. And once again no, it's not more offensive and the killtimes are not faster. In fact, there's even more ways to escape death in this game. And PV doesn't really counter much, especially if players with PV fight other players with PV, it becomes a standstill.

Yahuh, there are faster killtimes mate, and it does counteract the new defensive abilities. Very few maps feature significant camping and of those that do, there's a good deal of ballance in that none of the power weapons spawn where they are. As to pv, I doubt you've noticed the user becomes visible on the radar, since your argument was along the lines of... 'well if both teams have pv and know where eachother are, then it's pointless'. One, that was never the point since of course it means they know where you are regardless of whether they're using PV; two, promethean vision limits the benefits of camping and that was the point; three, you can always use a hologram to distract them; four, get a grenade perk so you can create some sort of buffer room before you go in; five, wait, don't suicide, pickup a rocket when it spawns and just blow **** up.

I think you're just playing with the wrong people. In my experience, the matches are much quicker and more explosive than in any other Halo game. Part of this is due to the respawn time, and part of it is the way that the maps are designed. I love slayer in this game more than in any other Halo.

Yahuh, there are faster killtimes mate, and it does counteract the new defensive abilities. Very few maps feature significant camping and of those that do, there's a good deal of ballance in that none of the power weapons spawn where they are. As to pv, I doubt you've noticed the user becomes visible on the radar, since your argument was along the lines of... 'well if both teams have pv and know where eachother are, then it's pointless'. One, that was never the point since of course it means they know where you are regardless of whether they're using PV; two, promethean vision limits the benefits of camping and that was the point; three, you can always use a hologram to distract them; four, get a grenade perk so you can create some sort of buffer room before you go in; five, wait, don't suicide, pickup a rocket when it spawns and just blow **** up.

1- Faster killtimes when the BR is a 5sk instead of 4? The AR kills faster yes, and shotguns and snipers and the other power weapons kill the same, but the main precision weapons are 5sk, and with everybody having sprint, plus things like shield and thruster, escaping death is easy, and that happens often.

2- I never said PV was pointless, but If 2 users with PV engage each other, they both stop to see who reacts first.

3- The maps are similar to Reach's, defensive setups are extremely strong. It's not about the odd camper with scattershot in the corner, since I use PV, it's just defense in general is very strong in this game, with maps like Abandon and Adrift. Haven is the map that where action flows the most.

4- It's not that I'm having trouble with the game, I do very well actually.

5-I just think it's you guys that haven't played matchmaking enough and haven't started to get matched up with higher ranks. Give it time, wait until you start getting matched against really good teams, you'll see what I mean.

5 shot kill with a 1.6-1.7 second killtime. If you want an honest analysis, I think the boltshot is op and the primary reason why camping is at all effective in a match with instant respawns. I can see it happening, and have seen it happen, except most teams fight for those camping spots. Sure, once they're there with a shotgun, I tend to stay away and the game stagnates for a bit until someone spawns with a way to get in.

However, not every map is complex. Even abandon has a lot of easy access routes to take away map control, so to be honest, I don't get why you're complaining. Campers in adrift get grenaded, you can't camp on haven, complex is in some respects a poorly designed map for 4v4, abandon has like 5 different routes to the central building, and solace is difficult to camp on cause of the incinerator canon, and open access.

1- Faster killtimes when the BR is a 5sk instead of 4? The AR kills faster yes, and shotguns and snipers and the other power weapons kill the same, but the main precision weapons are 5sk, and with everybody having sprint, plus things like shield and thruster, escaping death is easy, and that happens often.

2- I never said PV was pointless, but If 2 users with PV engage each other, they both stop to see who reacts first.

3- The maps are similar to Reach's, defensive setups are extremely strong. It's not about the odd camper with scattershot in the corner, since I use PV, it's just defense in general is very strong in this game, with maps like Abandon and Adrift. Haven is the map that where action flows the most.

4- It's not that I'm having trouble with the game, I do very well actually.

5-I just think it's you guys that haven't played matchmaking enough and haven't started to get matched up with higher ranks. Give it time, wait until you start getting matched against really good teams, you'll see what I mean.

personally i believe one of two things, 1.YOU SUCK, or 2. You dont know how to flank!

the YOU SUCK one is pretty self explainatory, but the other isn't, you say the possitions are to well defended, well i say they are not, let me lay down some examples, Ragnarok, If the enemy team has control of the hill they normally are ignoring there own base, so you have to be a sneaky, and get to their base, once there you can start taking vehicles and weapons, then shooting them in the back. the square maps such has haven, adrift, and abandon, all are very easily flipped, Abandon for example the main structure is the main area to post up in, if you use jetpack with stick grenades they will run away in fear, heres what you do, fly up stick a guy, drop down, take ramp, kill guy, jetpack up again kill guy, and there you go top is yours. those are just a few examples,

P.S. If you have ever played Gears you might know this stratagey, but when an enemy sees you, and you see them, (PV) you can juke them out, you act like your about to rush them then stop and fall back making them come out of where they are hiding to kill you, but then since you enticiapated them, you can blast/grenade/or melee them with ease,

P.S.S. Stop looking for things that are good and bad and different from the previous games, ( Power weapon control, spawn control, map control) and look for new ways to deal with the new game, you might actually like them

halo 4 is all about being punished for being good at this game. i'm starting to beleive having a good k/d makes your ordance drop suck i seem to always get gernades needler's and reload quick from them while as people with a negitive kd get inceration cannons binary rifles, this game is to unbalanced currently.

flanking oh yes with radar and pv u can flank someone lmao. the armour abilities in the game break the map jet pack is the sole reason there is a return to map there goes all the fun jumps to hidden places.

curious how can you have your own base in hill?? really??? how do you take weapons when they're aren't any on the maps. wow.

like i've said as always this game benefits bad kids halo 5 will end up getting rid of sheilds or something lets hope 343 makes it so this game has a skill gap again.

• Like 2

Depending on the size of map but, I think Halo 4 slayer is a lot more fast paced compared to Halo 3. Everyone has sprint which allows players to get around a lot more quicker. And the instant-respawn just makes it even more fast paced. On the bigger maps for 4v4 yeah things can go a little slower but, on the smaller ones stuff is always going on. Especially with Kong of the Hill and Oddball.

halo 4 is all about being punished for being good at this game. i'm starting to beleive having a good k/d makes your ordance drop suck i seem to always get gernades needler's and reload quick from them while as people with a negitive kd get inceration cannons binary rifles, this game is to unbalanced currently.

flanking oh yes with radar and pv u can flank someone lmao. the armour abilities in the game break the map jet pack is the sole reason there is a return to map there goes all the fun jumps to hidden places.

curious how can you have your own base in hill?? really??? how do you take weapons when they're aren't any on the maps. wow.

like i've said as always this game benefits bad kids halo 5 will end up getting rid of sheilds or something lets hope 343 makes it so this game has a skill gap again.

if you use the br you tend to get the needler.

The DMR is too precise in short distances. It's a long distance weapon

To encourage people to move around Invisibilty needs to be an ordnance drop like the overshield

AR is a little overpowered, just a little, maybe the point is not hte power but the range

More medals to get an ordnance drop

No killcam, it is for call of duty noobs and usually not works very well

Respawn time.

lol i use br dmr heck even ar to show kids how op it is lol and always needler

not for me. I often get the sniper on the second or third ordanance on complex (i.e. dmr), get a sticky detonator, rarely a saw, or often a needler if I'm using the br; and, i get cqc weapons if I use the Assault rifle... just by experience.

All I really play is slayer. There is nothing wrong with it, it doesn't get boring because every time you die, or get a kill you always want get another, or get revenge. Slayer is a strategy game. Running in the open on a sniper/BR map automatically guarantees you a death. You're supposed to work your way around, not push through the middle.

Infinity slayer is a mosh pit of power weapons and abilities. It's always a coin flip if I'm gonna go negative or not. I typically stick to other playlists to avoid teams dominating with power weapons. Unless I go in with my team then I can at least communicate in infinity slayer without rushing in blind....I swear every time I try infinity slayer alone the opponents all have beam rifles and binary rifles like wtf hahaha

i do not think slayer is slow or not fun. i think it is very fun with all the new added things (ordinance drops, etc) but at sometimes i do think it is sometimes a standstill but then i counter this by going around and finding people, i also think you should do this if you find its a standstill. and i find a lot of map control like adrift has the hallways, abandon has the center base, and haven has lower middle. so i have to completley disagree with you but it is an opnion.

Negative opinions suck. Keep them to yourself if they're derogatory.

LOL what? I paid for the game, I can say whatever I want. I can speak if it's praise, but not if I'm expressing flaws? I didn't know the forums were oppressive.

If all of you enjoy trying to break setups in Adrift against players with Sticky Detonators and Regen fields more power to you.

Random ordnance is amazing sometimes. Oh there's 3 dudes over there huddling together with DMR's, oH I know let's spawn a Binary Rifle near closed ramp where they all are! And Personal Ordnance is amazing also. Let's give this guy a Beam Rifle in his ordnance and screw this guy with a Needler! Face it, knowing the Sniper Rifle spawns in 3 minutes over there is an incentive for teams to move around and battle it out. It's just not the same without it. It's too easy to get a lead and play serious defense because you don't have to fear the other team grabbing that Rocket Launcher at X spot in a little bit.