That could be a possibility but the overwhelming evidence of her return both from Halo lore and mostly within Halo 4 itself is undeniable. I'm willing to bet money she will be back next game.

Read through this:

https://forums.halow...--Spoilers.aspx

And you will easily see how her return is pretty much inevitable.

I sure hope this guy is correct, I honestly don't think cheif can perform as well with out her. Even the librarian said herself that cortana was unique and specifically put in place for Cheif the reclaimer why would the game kill her off.

Nice theory but you got to remember, she's an A.I that has been inside the mind and body of the chief for the last 3 years of the partnership, don't you think she would know what it would be like if she was human? She wasn't just along for the ride in the suit, she was actually monitoring everything inside and out.

How the hell would a A.I have emotions without a nervous system? they are electrochemical responses, the brain can't function without it's main input/output interface, the nervous system. The closest we have come to an actual living A.I will be by 2017 and that will be on the level of a cat's intelligence which will be the first autonomous bots.

Um... they used a flash clone of Dr Halsey's brain, giving her a nervous system. Then they put it into data.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok if anyone has already said this, sorry in advance.

I think that because cortana was part of chiefs armor which was connected straight to his nueral system, she could still be part of HIM. When chief set the nuke off, he was holding the bomb. How could he have suvived? Cortana, still part of his armor, created a shield around chiefs armor that protected him from the blast. The only way that this is possible is if cortana never actually left cheif, and she is embeded into his neural system.

This also explains how you can still hear her talking to chief after she was "destroyed".

*****FUN FACT

The symbol of the Didact, which is shown all through halo 4, is shown at the very end of the last terminal of halo annaversary. 343 guilty spark also speaks of "a horde of prometheans", and the librarian. He also hints to the didact. Kinda a coincidence that this was the halo before halo 4 and was made by 343 industries. ;) maybe they were givin us all hints for halo 4 :D

Cortana is gone in my view, the havoc nuke blew up and John was saved by her, but dr Halsey and cortana where like twins in a way, cortana was created from the dr. So if she created cortana it can be done again, plus all cortanas "logs" memory's will have been logged everytime she entered a consol? So she could be restored, if I am honest I'd like to see how chief plays out with out her, halo, halo2 , halo3 and halo4 all with her, he's just lost a friend and I think this could make a good story. Ether way, she's past her deteration time and rampancy was well and truly taking over her(mind it saved you tho!) lets see how this plays out.

-Jay

• 3 months later...

What I suspect they might do:

First off, definitely SPOILER ALERT** but if you're already on this topic, you are either stupid for coming here or have played through the campaign as I have already.

Well, for starters, Cortana's...ahem...appealing aesthetics definitely raked in some money for 343. Not saying that 343 are scumbag moneywh*res(looking at you Activision). But likely they will bring Cortana back. I just hope they don't give Chief a 'reincarnate' of her like she suggested.

Secondly, reiterating the initial few posts of her being turned and converted by The Librarian; it seems highly possible. Though I would imagine that 343, trying to change things up a bit, would probably leave her out for a game, and bring her back the next; as a sort of 'destined by fate' kind of thing. I like the idea of the data purge theory where she is sent to a forerunner database, and the Chief at some later point would have to retrieve her, and repeat the line he always says "You know me, when I make a promise, I keep it". 

Thirdly, then again, it always is possible, she really is gone, though I would doubt ( AND REALLY HOPE NOT :( ) that they would do such a thing to all the hardcore Halo fans, who have been following the double C's all the way through the halo storyline; in summation, for a first game back, it would be really ****ty for 343 to do something like that to us. However, the thing that got me was, that when Cortana said "Don't make a girl a promise you know you can't keep" in Halo 2, she sounded slightly sure that Chief would pull through. In Halo 4, to me at least, she sounded despondent of hope when she repeated the quote, which might be 343's way of telling us that there was no way out of it.

Fingers Crossed, let's see what H5 has in store for us soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh, for...

Having Cortana return at this point would be the biggest possible insult to her character that 343 could come up with. The fact that she sacrificed herself to save both John and the rest of the human race was the best outcome in my opinion. If she hadn't died on the Mantle's Approach then she would have either died from rampancy, become even more unstable due to the fact that she split herself, or had her personality replaced when her rampancy was "treated". Any one of those outcomes would have been far more anticlimactic than what happened. Think of it this way: if she were to sacrifice herself, and then somehow return, then that sacrifice would have had no meaning of any kind, and she would lose a lot of the respect that she earned. 

Add that to the fact that the Reclaimer saga, as they're calling it now, is about John finding his human self. He could never have done that if Cortana had lived.

If people are going to stop playing Halo because of this then that's their own choice, but I think it's a badly informed one. It would be like complaining about Anakin turning to the dark side in the prequel trilogy. If that hadn't happened, there would be no original trilogy.  

Because the series went in a slightly different direction, people are claiming it to be "dead", when they've barely even given 343 Industries a chance. 

Oh, for...

Having Cortana return at this point would be the biggest possible insult to her character that 343 could come up with. The fact that she sacrificed herself to save both John and the rest of the human race was the best outcome in my opinion. If she hadn't died on the Mantle's Approach then she would have either died from rampancy, become even more unstable due to the fact that she split herself, or had her personality replaced when her rampancy was "treated". Any one of those outcomes would have been far more anticlimactic than what happened. Think of it this way: if she were to sacrifice herself, and then somehow return, then that sacrifice would have had no meaning of any kind, and she would lose a lot of the respect that she earned. 

Add that to the fact that the Reclaimer saga, as they're calling it now, is about John finding his human self. He could never have done that if Cortana had lived.

If people are going to stop playing Halo because of this then that's their own choice, but I think it's a badly informed one. It would be like complaining about Anakin turning to the dark side in the prequel trilogy. If that hadn't happened, there would be no original trilogy.  

Because the series went in a slightly different direction, people are claiming it to be "dead", when they've barely even given 343 Industries a chance. 

I understand where you're coming from but to I don't think it would make her sacrifice in vein or would prevent Chief becoming human.   What if much needed to be sacrificed for her return?   Chief finds his human side on an epic adventure where he then has a decision to make.   Obviously that's not the only way but I think it's equally 'badly informed' of you to say her sacrifice was in vein if she returns as it is to not give the game a chance if she doesn't return.

I also think your Anakin comparison is very wrong.   It's completely different circumstances, other than there being two trilogies there are no similarities.    I mean the trilogies were even made in a different order for goodnesssake.

Never! Ever! Ever! Say that... Sniffle...
She is stll alive! Dr.Halsey is still alive. If you saw H5 trailer, and saw her chip, hes probably thinkinng anout to take it to Dr.Halsey and Dr.Halsey could fix her. It wouldnt surprise me if Cprtana turns human, but still keep her smartness and her computer stuff. I mean she is a smart A.I. and dr.halsey is still alive so that means cortana could possibly be alive, just need a lottle fix. Even 343 has major clues that she is inded possibly alive. Check out the video Cortana is NOT dead. Picture shows cortana with a bog X. Close my case as solved.

I understand where you're coming from but to I don't think it would make her sacrifice in vein or would prevent Chief becoming human.   What if much needed to be sacrificed for her return?   Chief finds his human side on an epic adventure where he then has a decision to make.   Obviously that's not the only way but I think it's equally 'badly informed' of you to say her sacrifice was in vein if she returns as it is to not give the game a chance if she doesn't return.

I also think your Anakin comparison is very wrong.   It's completely different circumstances, other than there being two trilogies there are no similarities.    I mean the trilogies were even made in a different order for goodnesssake.

It is deeply sad. But i dont agree with him that if Cortana was alive it wwould stop john-117 from turning human. Choef jas burden on his shoulders. Idk, ut he may loved her. Cortana was his mission. Make sure to keep her safe. He failed, but he had a very good relation to her. Ina way both were turning human. That is why i dont agree with Truth.
  • Like 1