Your favorite game characters?

As the topic says, who / what / which is your favorite character(s) in video games? Whether it is protagonist or antagonist, it doesn't matter! As long as they made an amazing impression on you, post them! And remember to post WHY you like them!

Personally, my favorite is Geralt of Rivia. He is the central protagonist of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, and is a badass! Like the ultimate badass! Not only is he a capable fighter, but also a knowledgable person, who can go into alchemy and politics, and much more. He has amnesia, and tries to unravel all the mysteries of his "previous" life which takes him into all sorts of adventures. His sense of dry humor doesn't make him boring, and he is a source of entertainment in dire situations!

So who is / are yours?

I love threads like these! Okay, here are two of my favorites I will summaries. I have more mind you, but these are two I really enjoy writing about.

Geralt of Rivia -- The Witcher

- His characterization as an intelligent and a knowledgable being. By all of the protagonist I've played in RPG games, not a single one have given me the same impression as Geralt in these two departments (mostly since they have lacked them). Geralt is portraid as having knowledge of his surroundings, and not being "the smartest" in any scenario. His features aren't "overblown", which I find appealing, and in the end draws me to him. And as I said in a earlier thread, in the end it is Geralt's projection into a much better written world and story, that helps make him a better protagonist.

- In many RPG games, the protagonist is portraid as a set of character and an "avatar" of some sort. I do understand that some gaming developers want to make the protagonist "your" personal character as much as possible, with his/her own personal moral and views that you create (to some extent). Many like this kind of characters, but I do not. I don't want to play "my" character. I like to play "someone".

- His Amnesia, while it having been done a million times before and is utterly cliché in my book, I still felt TW1 did it better than many other games/movies/books did, and that's thanks to the identity quest. What I like about it is that it doesn't feature any extreme revelations. It's not some big "twist" in the story or anything mind-breaking. It simply forces Geralt into a dilema: should he do exactly what he thinks he would have done before he got amnesia, or does he instead reshape his identity and beliefs according to his new experiences? And how does he justify his actions? These features is the exact thing I want in a role playing game, and at the same time makes Geralt an interesting character on my part.

- As I stated earlier, his intelligence, knowledge, skills and in some part his competence in good parts, makes him a good character. I seldom like a 'bestial' and/or incompetent protagonist whose purpose is simply to kill people (in some ways). Geralt however, is shown to be smart, intelligent and wise without overblowing him and making him 'godly' to everyone around him. And this is done in a great way, large part because he is surrounded by great characters, which some are even smarter than him.

- Geralt has a lot of ways to express his beliefs, opinions and concerns in an elaborate way (shown in TW1 and in the books, e.g with Stregobar). And often, he sounds wise while doing so. His discussion with Yaevinn and Sigfrid for example (and many other too) shows a character who reacts to the world he is living in. He may hate politics, but he he still aware of his surroundings.

- And about his mutation, it actually adds to his charm, imo. He is an outcast and a freak in society and this is scene perfectly in TW1. I remember that specific quests where you basically were supposed to kill a monster and find the mans wife. But after the monster was dead, and you had found out that the man's wife was dead as well, the man simply showed Geralt away and said that he has that "evil look" in him. This is also one part why I like Witchers. People need them but are simultaneously afraid of them.

- Geralt's humour. His sarcastic sense of humour is very funny and is exactly my kind of humour. I still find myself laughing at some moments in TW1, and in the books as well. And when Geralt does jokes with such brilliance, by sounding both facetious and smart at the same time, makes me just stare in awe at for being so cool. I just can't help but admire him.

- Geralt's morality. He is not the "good guy" nor the "bad guy". The 'Official Announcement" trailer for TW2 said it best: "I'm no avenger of orphans, no executioner for hire. I'm a Witcher". Dandelion from the games summaries him perfectly: "Fate has little mercy for him, piling obstacles in his way, yet he trudges on. He has more scruples than a beggaring bum has fleas. Doubts haunt him even when a band of ruffians, knives drawn, approaches him on the highway. Is he a good man? I do not think so. Does he try to maintain his humanity? I believe he does."

Loghain Mac Tir -- Dragon Age: Origins

There's a lot I could say on why I find Loghain to be one of my favourite video game character, but I rather keep this short, so I'll go and post the shorter version instead:

What I like in Loghain is that he is a rather a-typical character, because he is not inherently evil. In many ways Loghain is just compassionate about his country to the point of fanatical protection. Loghain began the game as a shady usurper to the throne who seemed to take advantage of a situation for his own goals. As we see throughout the events of Origins he is much deeper than that; his motives are benign for his people, not himself, despite how extreme they are. He is conflicted by these motivations at times, but Loghain constantly keeps them in line, putting the protection of the people from Orlais first, no matter how paranoid or misguided it may be. In the end, Loghain is not exactly a villain in the traditional sense of wanting power for his own ends. In actuality, all of his tactical moves to preserve Fereldens freedom result into a civil war within the country, something he laments towards the end of the Blight.

Loghain is very much a social conservative. He is proud of the Ferelden heritage he fought so hard to regain control of, and does not want to compromise it once again. His motivation is not to gain control of the throne nor to even let the Blight continue. His motivation is the preservation of his country. Other than his daughter Anora, he only wants to preserve Ferelden by any means, and for him the ends will justify his means, no matter how colored the perception may be. Most of this, mind you, is stemmed from a bitter hatred against Orlais. But it is this grudge that becomes his tragic flaw; it begins his own descent in hostilities against the very nation he tries to desperately protect.

Ultimately, Loghain Mac Tir is just a man from a different line of thinking, a socially and politically opposite to the protagonists in the game. This makes him your adversary, but not a true evil force. You can have compassion and pity for his actions as he slowly loses his grip on the situation, and you see it unravel as your player character gains control of things, including his own fate. Loghain is a fascinating look at how ideals can divide us and old grudges can twist these ideals into something malicious. He is a character with character because he is not a bad guy in the usual sense, but rather a man who chose the wrong side because of his past experiences, only to realize close to his own demise that he was wrong in that choice.

• Like 4

I love threads like these! Okay, here are two of my favorites I will summaries. I have more mind you, but these are two I really enjoy writing about.

Geralt of Rivia -- The Witcher

*snip*

Wow! Well done, Chewy! :clap: This summary overshadows mine in and out! :P

+1 from me!

Sesa 'Refumee (Heretic Leader)

The Arbiter from Halo Wars.

be so kind and explain why you think so. ;)

• Master Chief ( Huh, it's the Chief!)
  • The Arbiter [(Thel' Vadam) Same here...]
  • Marcus Fenix ( Helped Gears to win the war against the Locust and the Lambent, saving humanity) {Gears of war}
  • Dominic Santiago ( Marcus best buddy, accompanied him through many battles,*SPOILER* eventually sacrificing himself to save Marcus and his squad *SPOILER*) {Gears of war}
  • Ezio Auditore da Firenze ( An italian young Assassin, fought for justice and revenge, by the recent death of his family) {Assassin's Creed 2/ Brotherhood/ Revelations)

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head, Flemeth and Morrigan form Dragon Age : Origins. Flemeth is just wise and has some awesome quotes. Morrigan is just of sultry, sarcastic and cynical, with a hint of vulnerability, which makes her an interesting character. Ahh, smart brunettes are my kryptonite.

Kain and Raziel from the Legacy of Kain franchise. Kain had the chance to be a hero, but when he discovered that his sacrifice would be needed to save the day, he went all Yao Ming face and said screw that.

Ryu and Akuma from Street Fighter would round out my list. Ryu's not into revenge, fame, or anything. He just wants to become the best he can be through battle. The spiritual warrior. Akuma on the other hand, is willing to sacrifice his humanity. Whatever is necessary for power, the left hand path. And Ken sucks.

Noble 6 from Halo: Reach he's more of a bad ass than Master Chief because Noble 6 died like a real hero and died like a boss by all those Elites. But Master Chief is better because he saves like everyone and Halo 4 is going to be awesome!

If Noble 6 dies like a hero, then when/if Master Chief dies (I hope not) how heroic would it be?

Very hard decision for me, can't really think of one from the top of my head, don't want to choose the chief because that's obvious.

Gordan freeman!- I pick him because he's sort of like a twin of the master chief, he's got a suit, he's a total badass going around and killing aliens and headcrabs, love the glasses, nothing else, can't really go in-depth here but that's probably the best explanation I can tell you

That's all folks

Noble 6 from Halo: Reach he's more of a bad ass than Master Chief because Noble 6 died like a real hero and died like a boss by all those Elites. But Master Chief is better because he saves like everyone and Halo 4 is going to be awesome!

imagine how chief is gonna die if noble 6's was awesome.