Competitive vs Casual

xei

So it looks like you added the Battle Rifle.

But, did you add to that weapon the game defining glitches from Halo 2? I'm talking about the infamous BXR and Double Shot. Will will we see another competitive installment of the Halo franchise? A Halo where being able to perfectly input button combinations(BXR, etc), which require skill to master, will allow you to gain a competitive edge on your opponent? A sort of competitive edge that goes far and above weapon accuracy and/or team work. A halo where personal skill is rewarded. The BXR and Double Shot from H2 were, what we like to call in the industry, "happy accidents."

Is there going to be reticle bloom on the Battle Rifle? Please say no.

Will we see an equal distribution of competitive and casual games in Halo 4 matchmaking?

Casual = Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Rockets. (spray and pray / point in their general direction and shoot)

Competitive = Semi-Automatics which require the user to aim for extended periods of time, with little room for error or luck.

Just a heads up, this isn't the official site of 343i. http://forums.halo.xbox.com/

But AFAIK, and as far as anyone is concerned, there are no button combos, nor should there be. It breaks balance. A skill gap may need to be present, but giving advantages to players who know how to press certain buttons really fast isn't balanced and enlarges the skill gap too much.

And uh, competitive isn't binded to a set of rules. All game developers can tell you, competitive multiplayer is any multiplayer where there are opposing sides. Casual multiplayer can encompass co-op, or competitive multiplayer. Competitive isn't a defining group between good and bad. Anyone who plays any playlist in the Competitive or Community playlist is competitive. That's just the cold hard definition.

What YOU mean by Competitive and Casual is like Ranked and Social playlists in Halo 3, yes? The people who don't quit and try their best? I can tell you, the ranking system should make you want to win, and make you feel like a loser for quitting. With what we know of it, yes. There will be that sense of what you call "competitiveness" in the game again.

Rest easy, the BR only has recoil, no Bloom. The DMR does have bloom, but it is so minuscule that you do not have to worry about it. The little "X" shaped markers that you see in the gameplay videos are just hit-markers that tell you whether your shot hit a target or not. Bloom has always been in Halo, but it isn't visible in any Halo before Reach. Remember how you could fire your first AR bullet on target on Halo 3? Then they'd start a small scatter? That's bloom. but it isn't made visible by the reticles. In Halo 4, any bloom is only visible because it shows you how precise your shot will be, not to make your shots scatter more than they should.

• Like 3

I am confused about your title. It doesnt show much relevance to your post.

Anyway I could not see 343 bring back a glitch from halo 2 and put it in halo 4. There is no bloom, just recoil.

I suggest you check out the official halo forum. And remember to search before you post.

In this context, the words "casual" and "competitive" can be replaced by "small skill gap" and

"large skill gap," respectively. Personally, I don't understand why 343 couldn't have just a few competitive playlists in halo 4. That way, the really good players and the players who are just playing for fun could be separated.

Have a slayer, objective and MLG playlist with large skill gaps and traditional ranking systems. Then have slayer, objective, action sack, snipers, swat, etc., with an xp-based ranking system. This will satisfy serious and casual gamers alike.

I too like to succeed in the matches, but I am most def a casual gamer, I dont like to lose a lot, but thats why I play with my friends who help make an awesome team. Play with people you like and know and you wont have to really worry about the people who blow themselves up all the time lol

I agree Ryu, my kdr in Reach is only 1.36, which is only middle of the road, however I can hold my own and I enjoy it when there is a bit of suspense on whether or not I will kill the guy who got the shot off first. I like the challenge, but I like the challenge when I have a team. I am a casual gamer as I have said before, but when I really get competitive, my friends are involved and were on a team together.