Halo Bulletin confirms XBL Gold required for Spartan Ops

Mr. Bashful Brute

It will require storage and, more importantly, an Xbox Live Gold account – for online play and downloadable content. Folks should definitely consider this when purchasing Halo 4. Although I would note that it doesn’t matter which version of the game – LE or Standard, since it is included in the price of Halo 4.

This was one of my biggest fears with Halo 4. Spartan Ops replaces Firefight, right? Firefight was a life-saver for those with no Gold. It was all they had besides the same old campaign, and limited split-screen multiplayer. And now, what does Micro$oft leave them with? Next to nothing.

Please share your thoughts.

• Like 4

@shado12: Yes but not everyone has the money to buy Gold. What about those who wish to play and enjoy the game long-term, but aren't as well-off as the rest of us?

@Doctor: Yes but remember. Halo CE (for xbox) had NO online capabilities whatsoever.

I'm just saying people should be able to have fun in the long-run without having to buy XBL Gold. Sure, there's campaign, but that gets a bit old after a while. Sure, there's split-screen multiplayer, but you can only do that when your friends are over. These aren't the good old days where there were LAN parties all over.

• Like 4

That is a ******* joke. My friend is a Halo fanatic (every game, but no gold live) and now he has no firefight? C'mon. At least with Halo 2 it had the best campaign ever, but now hes stuck with a company hes never used, and a hope that campaign is good. Big misstep here.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Well, that's disappointing. It's a shame people with Silver (or whatever the new equivalent's called) can't access it, especially considering that it's included in the price of the game. If you pay for it, you should get it, regardless of what other services you are or aren't subscribed to. There's no reason it couldn't be played via split screen or LAN.

Doubly disappointing in the absence of a Firefight. I've had a lot of fun with that over the summer, while my ability to get my Xbox online has been restricted. I just hope the campaign has plenty of replay value, or that Custom Games has enough value to keep offline players interested.

• Like 3

I dont see it as much of a problem. While not everyone may agree that Gold is the way to go, if you really wanted to play Spartan Ops you can go out and buy yourself some gold. It's hard to hear for most but its true, if your a diehard through and through Halo fan you will run out to your local gamestore cash in pocket and buy yourself some gold.

• Like 1

wtf?

No way, 3 had forge, revolutionary at its time.

Reach had firefight and one long assed campaign.

2 had the greatest campaign of all time.

CE came out when online play wasn't that popular.

All just to line their pockets...

-edited for language. Halo may be rated M but this site is rated E. No swearing-

No, it was drawn out and confusing.

Anyways at least forge doesn't require Gold...yet.

What?

I wanna know what you were smoking when you played it!

To date, H2 has the greatest of all Campaigns, story structure was perfect, it was smooth and gave birth to one of the most iconic Halo characters around.

What?

I wanna know what you were smoking when you played it!

To date, H2 has the greatest of all Campaigns, story structure was perfect, it was smooth and gave birth to one of the most iconic Halo characters around.

It started out alright, and I enjoyed the Arbiter levels. Then it started jumping around and introducing new characters, and the Gravemind was just a disaster. Then it ended alright.

I personally feel that Halo 2 and 3 were largely over rated. They just rode the hype that was combat evolved. Now I believe Halo 4 will be a fresh restart to the series, but I also have a fear that 5 and 6 will be largely over rated.

No, it was drawn out and confusing.

Im so glad Im not the only one who feels that way about H2 Campaign.

But honestly, if you care that much, go buy gold. I mean 60 bucks for a year compared to what other companies/games (world of warcraft, DC Universe, Final Fantasy whatever)charge it isnt that harsh. An personally firefight got pretty damn old. It was amazing at first but eventually.. eh :l lackluster.

This was obvious...and really disappointing.

Hey, Halo can offer a wide gameplay fun without using the Gold account! Firefight, Forge, Theatre...

But then 343i came in and said "hey, wanna have fun? We're taking off the Firefight, so go buy that Gold account or GTFO"

Well, congratulations, you won. Now i will buy that damn Gold, are you happy now?

You just ruined hours and hours of fun with my brother and friends. Thanks a lot.

343i rating: from 9.0 to 6.5.

• Like 2

How does that work out?

What do you mean? Why it ruined our fun? Because we don't have all Gold accounts. I don't play too much online, and nor my brothers do. So, we keep only one account to get all the DLCs and stuff. Why should we pay 60€ every year for keeping an account that we almost never use?

So, we were having fun playing the Firefight mode.

Is that a problem? Maybe they don't get enough money from the game and future DLCs?

What do you mean? Why it ruined our fun? Because we don't have all Gold accounts. I don't play too much online, and nor my brothers do. So, we keep only one account to get all the DLCs and stuff. Why should we pay 60€ every year for keeping an account that we almost never use?

So, we were having fun playing the Firefight mode.

Is that a problem? Maybe they don't get enough money from the game and future DLCs?

Woah there, sorry I offended you.

From my personal experience I have never played Firefight with my brother or while friends are over. We always make some forge maps and play those, which are very fun, and doesnt require gold.