Rumour: Microsoft to Reverse Xbox One DRM Policies

It's being reported that Microsoft is about to reverse all of its controversial Xbox One DRM policies.

According to “multiple sources” cited by the Giant Bomb, Microsoft will undo everything that fans have been getting upset about since the console was announced a few weeks ago, outrage that reached its climax during E3 2013.

Here’s an easy-to-digest breakdown of what that means:

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

Giant Bomb believes that Microsoft will accompany the announcement with wording to the effect of, “We've been closely listening to consumer feedback.”

Even more interesting, it’s said that this announcement will come today.

Speaking on Twitter the author of the piece said, "I do not publish stuff I am not confident in. Yes, it is sourced anonymously, but I vet vigorously." He added, "Could I be wrong? Yes. But I don't publish stuff like this very often."

Brace yourselves.

Edit: Oddly, What Hi-Fi is carrying the same story, from seperate sources.

med_Xbox_Console_RHS78_TransBG_RGB_2013.

source

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15306-Rumour--Microsoft-to-Reverse-Xbox-One-DRM-Policies.html

This post has been promoted to an article
  • Like 4

i rather did not have this new DRM because we loss a loot of new features like family share

congratulation internet congratulation

Here's the thing though.  How many people were truly upset by what MS announced about the XBox One?  How many people were going to jump ship?  How many people have already jumped ship?  I know I wasn't pleased.  All of my friends and I had discussed the possibilities, and most of us determined if we were going to get a console this generation, it would most likely be a PS4.  Not because it was a better system spec wise (even though it is, technically speaking), but because it appealed more to us as gamers.  Now, since this announcement, we're going to probably have some more discussions and determine what would be best for us.  

Since this announcement was made, Amazon pre-orders for the XBox One jumped ahead of the PS4 again.  So to me, it appears that most of the internet is happy with this change.  I know I am, though I didn't have a pre-order in for either system yet, and I probably won't, and won't be getting the new system until sometime in 2014 anyway.

Edited by fzdw11

i heard with familey share you couldn't play the same game at a time with the other people you shared it to so that would be useless.

I'm glad consumer feedback gave us back are xbox one still i will be waiting after launch to see how it will run before i debat on buying it or not.

Yes and no.  2 people could be playing it at the same time, the last I heard, and that was it.  So, for example, if you wanted to share Halo 5 with lets say 8 people, only 2 could be playing from the same copy at the same time.  Which is better than sharing a disc and only 1 person can play it at a time, but that is beside the point.

As for consumer feedback, yes, it was nice to have a voice be heard, though I think it had more to do with the fact that Sony was destroying them in pre-orders (which I suppose in a sense is consumer feedback, in a way).  But like you, I will be waiting a bit before deciding on what to buy.  This has definitely put the One back into the running, though. 

I have been thinking of this dmr thing and I think what's going to stop MS from putting it back on after players have brought it :thumbsup:

All of the lawsuits that will arise from false advertisement?  Or countless people trading in there One and purchasing a PS4 in its place, if they decided to add it later.

Their reputation already took a hit on what they pulled, and they've reversed it.  If they try to add it again, I don't think people will stand for it.  Their XBox division would be ruined, personally.

Edited by fzdw11