Tank Superiority

ShockBolt21

Competitive or Minigame?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. This map should be classified as...

• A competitive map
    • A minigame map

First, a link to my File Share, where you can download this map.

View the sequel here!

(Scorpion Dominance)

As you may know, the only thing that can stand up to a group of scorpions in halo is another group of scorpions. And then they fight a ferocious battle. This map provides you with the perfect battleground to fight that tank battle, and all the room you'll need for it. The battlefield occupies both asteroids on Impact, as well as a large open plain built in the space between them.

post-63092-0-72226200-1365029894_thumb.jpg
The battlefield, with the red base shown closest, the jail in the middle, and the blue base slightly visible behind the

embedded structure. The map is larger than it looks.

When the round begins, both teams will spawn in their bases, built on opposite sides of the map. Each base contains four scorpions and eight scorpion vehicle pads. When they exit, the first phase of the battle will begin as they fire at each other from across the map. The distance is too far to aim accurately, so only a few scorpions, if any, will be destroyed here. The tank groups will then close in to finish each other off.

post-63092-0-86317000-1365029908_thumb.jpg
The battle. The tanks are engaging each other from across the map as they slowly move forth. The camera is zoomed, making the distance appear much shorter than it really is.

There are several team strategies and personal tactics that can be used. The map is enormous, so the scorpions can choose to separate and spread out along its width. Or, you can have a few tanks move forward and attack, and a few stay farther back and provide support from a distance. You can also split into a few small groups and cover different flanks, or just stick in one big mass.

post-63092-0-32922400-1365029906_thumb.jpg
Tanks from the red side mobilize onto the battlefield.

The map is meant to play scorpions only, so don't try to fight on foot. There are teleporters outside of every base exit, so if you try to leave without a vehicle, you will be teleported back in. Also, a second set of teleporters covers the rest of the battlefield, so if you step out of the scorpion, you will be sent to the jail, which is located in the center of the battlefield. You will serve a ten second sentence as you wait to be killed by the soft kill boundary, then wait a few additional seconds from the suicide penalty before spawning back in your base. This system not only keeps the battle as tanks-only, but also prevents the bases from running out of tanks, as they won't be left out on the battlefield.

post-63092-0-08205100-1365029899_thumb.jpg
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? These spartans must taste life behind bars for bailing their tank like little wimps.

The map plays best with at least eight players, but the more you add, the more fun the gameplay is. The game plays on infinity slayer, so there is no need to download a separate game type. I will optimize the map to play capture the flag and king of the hill, but until then, make sure to change the settings before the game so that there are two lives per spartan, five minute time limits per round, and five or so rounds.

Also, the game has been thoroughly tested and fixed, so I can confidently say that it has been, essentially, perfected, and everything works as it should.

And also, make sure to check out the map "Battleship" for some naval combat against the flood.

This should be in the minigame submission section. Looks fun though.

Well, it doesn't use its own gametype- it plays on Infinity Slayer. So i think it's technically a competitive map, just laid out very differently. But you're right in that it plays more like a minigame. Not sure if I can call it a 'mini' game because this map is larger than any other (until the forge island maps came out) but I guess that's irrelevant.

And on a side note, I disagree with that signature of yours. i think that humans will eventually conquer nature. We already made significant progress. And it's not infinite- it's quite limited (you could say that the universe is, but we'll eventually fully/almost fully explore that also). But soon, nature will have no control over our lives, and things like climate, weather, other life forms (plants, animals, etc.) and even sunlight levels will be completely controlled by humans. And our minds are not limited or linear. we are probably the first life forms this intelligent/capable to ever exist in this universe, and we will expand our population to occupy other planets throughout the galaxy, and maybe, eventually, beyond.

Also, we'll soon be able to make ourselves immortal.

And, by the way, mathematically speaking, you can't explore a fraction of the highway if it is infinite. Any amount of the highway we do manage to cover (x) could be written as x over infinity, which will always equal 0/1, or zero. (Unless x=infinity, in which case the fraction would be 1/1, or one. So either we cover 100% of the highway or 0% of it.) So you really can't explore a fraction of infinity.

I would recommend moving this to the mini-game section. The "mini" in mini-game doesn't refer to the size of the map.

"A minigame (also spelled mini-game or mini game and sometimes called a subgame) is a short video game often contained within another video game. A minigame is always smaller or more simplistic than the game in which it is contained. Minigames are sometimes also offered separately for free to promote the main game. For instance, the Pokémon Stadium minigames involve merely pressing a few buttons at specific intervals, with little complexity."

Copy pasted from wikipedia like a boss lol. Your map doesn't support many of the fundamentals of competitive game-play. At least those stressed in halo map design ex: infantry vs vehicle combat, map control, dynamic map movement, etc. With that said tanks fighting tanks is awesome. The competitive elements and strategies that could come from this are interesting, but are not the ones from halo maps or in matchmaking. Players who are interested in competitive or matchmaking style maps would not enjoy this one. Players who love epic mini-games and customs would enjoy this map.  

I would recommend moving this to the mini-game section.

A'ight, you can move it to minigames if yo think that's where it belongs. I never forge maps that use the traditional halo style combat. My forge maps always resemble actual, more realistic combat in some way. If this is a minigame, do you think that battleship should be also? (Battleship- 3/31- (http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/27846-battleship/))