Battleship

Flood or Minigame?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. This map should be classified as...

• A flood map
    • A minigame map

Map Download Link

Gametype Download Link

See This Map on Youtube

post-63092-0-42917100-1373313603.jpg

This map is oriented around the UNSC Ghost Ship, one of the last water-based ships in service under the UNSC before they retire their watercraft in favor of the more versatile and capable spacecraft. The map has been tested with lobbies of all sizes and has been tweaked and perfected over time.

post-63092-0-92741000-1396302024_thumb.jpeg

The Ghost Ship fires its main cannon at the attacking flood.

The humans will spawn inside the ship, below deck. They will begin the round by grabbing a few weapons from the stockpile below deck in an area directly next to where the spartans spawn. Weapons up for grabs there include basic guns like the standard issue automatics and pistols, but also provide some heavier stuff- a saw and a concussion rifle. The weapons room, which is only a portion of the below deck area, is shown below.

post-63092-0-17612200-1365291610_thumb.jpg

After arming themselves, the spartans will then proceed through the chambers to a staircase, where they will rise through an opening in the deck. On the deck, there are several mounted turrets- two machine guns, two plasma turrets, and a high explosive frontally mounted 120mm cannon. The humans will occupy the turrets and prepare to repel the incoming flood, which will be attacking from the starboard side. Starting from spawn, the humans will have about thirty-five seconds to complete these preparations before the flood start attacking.

post-63092-0-12626800-1365291613_thumb.jpg

View from behind the vessel. Visible are the two plasma turrets, the main battery, and one of the mounted machine guns. Not the ship's prettiest angle, but it's the only shot I have that shows the Flood spawn area (to the ship's right). The latest version of the map contains a second flood attack vector at the ship's 11 and 12 o clock (by the stalagmites and further left).

The flood will attack from a separate area within the cave. They will be marked by wayponts until they reach the ship so the humans will know where they are attacking from. They will run through one of three man cannons, which will launch them through a low gravity zone towards the ship. The flood can maneuver left, right, forward, and backward to avoid incoming projectiles and make themselves harder to hit. The minimum time it takes for the flood to reach the ship after launch is about thirteen seconds, giving the humans time to shoot them down on their way with one of the turrets or a handheld weapon.

post-63092-0-03901100-1365369786_thumb.jpg
The ship's crew utilize a variety of weapons to hold off the incoming flood.

The flood damage resistance is 200 percent (normally on flood it's 50 percent), so while it isn't unreasonably powerful, it is still much harder to kill than the traditional flood. This is to discourage players from camping below deck or in one of the buildings, and instead attempt to shoot them down before they reach the ship, and preferably utilize teamwork like an actual ship crew would. Spartans who hide below deck aren't likely to last long, as they will not be able to do enough damage to kill the flood before they get lunged at. But in the event the flood do reach the ship, it is up to those still on foot to use their weapons to take out the flood before they can infect too many humans. There are also several buildings on the ship, as well as the area below deck, to spice up the onboard combat. (Do remember, though, that the flood can destroy the main turret with one slash, so you're not 100% safe inside it.) All of this combat unfolds within the six minute time limit per round.

post-63092-0-99547500-1365369819_thumb.jpg
The crew has suffered heavy losses after the flood have bypassed their defenses several times. The last few spartans must abandon their battle stations and try to avoid slaughter after the ship has been overwhelmed by the flood.

This map, Battleship, is best played with at least seven players, with the optimal number being around twelve. Because most of the trait zones failed, I was forced to add a separate gametype, "Battleship," to tweak the health, damage, and other traits as necessary, so make sure to download that along with the map. You can download both the map and the game type on my File Share here.

Map Download Link

Gametype Download Link

Youtube Footage

Halo 4 © Microsoft Corporation. Battleship was created under Microsoft's "Game Content Usage Rules" using assets from Halo 4. It is not endorsed by Microsoft and does not reflect the views or opinions of Microsoft or anyone officially involved in producing or managing Halo 4. As such, it does not contribute to the official narrative of the fictional universe, if applicable.

post-63092-0-75820000-1365371512_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

pretty nice looking map. I think i know what your trait zone problem is. If you want the trait zone to effect the flood then set the team of the trait zone to "attacker." I had that problem on a few maps as i didnt realize they can be team specific. If thats not what you meant by trait zones failing then i guess u had the trait zones reset themselves to standard shields and damages etc. Im not entirely sure what causes that.

• Like 1

pretty nice looking map. I think i know what your trait zone problem is. If you want the trait zone to effect the flood then set the team of the trait zone to "attacker." I had that problem on a few maps as i didnt realize they can be team specific. If thats not what you meant by trait zones failing then i guess u had the trait zones reset themselves to standard shields and damages etc. Im not entirely sure what causes that.

Thanx. And I put the trait zones up, but for whatever reason they wouldn't take effect. But the trait zone covering the entire ship did eliminate fall damage as I had told it to do, and the trait zone covering the entire low gravity area did further decrease the gravity so I didn't have to overlap the zones and could make the area larger. I think that these are the most important traits, though, so Im glad they worked. Little by little, piece by piece, the other traits are starting to work as I tweak them in forge, like the damage, health, and speed. But the changes in the game type compensate for the failed trait zones, so the map works fine, and is not, by any means, broken. So I'm a'ight, and thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to let you guys know that i recently updated this map, making some huge changes and improvements to the ship, the map, and the gametype. The flood now attack the ship from multiple directions, keeping the game more interesting, and keeping the humans on their toes. This map is the #1 most downloaded flood map on halocustoms.com, and I hope you guys will download it and give it a shot also. Please leave feedback if you can.

• 3 months later...