How to do Sprint CORRECTLY!

SixWaysToSunday

Ive been busy for awhile and unable to post at all while this idea has been percolating in my head.

So it appears that sprint is back in Halo4 and theres been a general outcry in the waypoint forums (not sure if it was here as well) and I rather agree with them. Sprint was not a halo mechanic and it really changed the game in a negative fashion. BUT instead of just complaining about it I think theres a way to make sprint "halo" and really make it a core part of the series.

First off, I dont understand WHY we need sprinting. Its main function is to allow people to move around a map faster, but in the previous halo games I never found myself wanting to be somewhere faster, the movement speed seemed perfect in relation to the map and spawns.

Second, the way Reach did sprint is completely wrong IMO. That game map sprint a defensive ability, and even worse only gave it to some players. A two-fold negative effect that slows down the game and effectively breaks maps.

So to make sprint "halo":

>Sprint is given to ALL PLAYERS as an inherent spartan trait. Like jumping.

>Sprint is unlimited.

>>You can shoot while sprinting.<<

Now I can see what your all thinking: "WHOA WHOA WHOA, BACK IT UP SIXWAYS UNLIMITED SPRINT IS OP AND BEING ABLE TO SHOOT??? WRONG! IT'LL BREAK HALO! GTFO!" And I can see where your coming from. SO:

1. Everyone needs to be able to sprint. You simply cannot create maps for both sprinting and non-sprinting players. Reach shows this as power positions, map control, and just basic 1v1s are ruined by sprinting away.

2. Limited sprint is gaming break for Halo. Period. "No Sixways your just a stupid bad player!" No, thats not looking at the scenarios correctly. What happens when you have a firefight with the enemy team? Your clip is low, your shields are low (if not gone), and your AA is depleted. This creates an off balance where new players to the fight, or respawning enemies have every advantage on you. You cant straight up battle them, you cant sprint into retreat, and you sometimes dont have enough ammo in the clip to even finish them off. This means your really screwed and all you can do is toss grenades to maybe weaken their shields to clean them up. Not alot of choices.

Unlimited sprint changes this and takes one of those disadvantages away. Now you can always have the option to back down from fights you dont feel confident about. Also, its incredibly frustrating to get a far spawn from the action and have to walk back cuz your sprint ran out (something I encounter everytime I play hemorrhage). After playing alot of BF3, not being able to move at high speeds really slows the game down and makes dying seem a far worse penalty.

3. Sprint in Reach is a defensive ability. Defensive abilities in gaming should be extremely limited because they slow down the game in every instance. But being able to shoot while sprinting actually gives players an incentive to be aggressive, which stimulates gameplay and causes players to put their skills and abilities on the line. This changes sprint from being an ability used to run away or get to a power weapon into an weapon for storming the enemies base, which is what most game mechanics SHOULD do.

>"But that unbalances the game, why would anybody NOT be sprinting?" Very true! So to balance out sprinting and normal walking, the crosshairs should expand so your shot becomes more inaccurate while sprinting. I DO NOT MEAN BLOOM! This creates a good trade off between the 2 forms of transportation; for long shots walking is the better idea as accuracy is needed, for close range battles, both opponents should be sprinting and strafing to outskill the other.

Thats my pitch! If your still reading please comment about why this is such a horrible, horrendous idea so I can defend myself :D I truly feel that Halo doesnt really need sprint in the first place, but if its going to be in the game it needs to be fitted for the demands of halo.

1. Everyone needs to be able to sprint. You simply cannot create maps for both sprinting and non-sprinting players. Reach shows this as power positions, map control, and just basic 1v1s are ruined by sprinting away.

I quite agree with this one, actually, and I think that's the way it's going to be implemented. Sprint, not as an armor ability, but as an attribute that every spartan has. So yes, this is a good thing.

2. Limited sprint is gaming break for Halo. Period. "No Sixways your just a stupid bad player!" No, thats not looking at the scenarios correctly. What happens when you have a firefight with the enemy team? Your clip is low, your shields are low (if not gone), and your AA is depleted. This creates an off balance where new players to the fight, or respawning enemies have every advantage on you. You cant straight up battle them, you cant sprint into retreat, and you sometimes dont have enough ammo in the clip to even finish them off. This means your really screwed and all you can do is toss grenades to maybe weaken their shields to clean them up. Not alot of choices.

Unlimited sprint changes this and takes one of those disadvantages away. Now you can always have the option to back down from fights you dont feel confident about. Also, its incredibly frustrating to get a far spawn from the action and have to walk back cuz your sprint ran out (something I encounter everytime I play hemorrhage). After playing alot of BF3, not being able to move at high speeds really slows the game down and makes dying seem a far worse penalty.

I'm not so sure on this one. I'm up in the air about it. I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time, I can see where people are going to say that a 900lb spartan shouldn't be able to sprint endlessly. BF3 is designed around a lot of vehicle play, especially on the larger maps. If you don't get into a vehicle, you're kinda screwed. So, to counter that, you add in an unlimited sprint feature, and now somebody that doesn't get into a vehicle can get to an area quicker, but still be late to the party. I liked that feature, but at the same time, wondered why my normal human could sprint endlessly across 500 meters and not be winded, and then immediately sprint again if he wanted to.

3. Sprint in Reach is a defensive ability. Defensive abilities in gaming should be extremely limited because they slow down the game in every instance. But being able to shoot while sprinting actually gives players an incentive to be aggressive, which stimulates gameplay and causes players to put their skills and abilities on the line. This changes sprint from being an ability used to run away or get to a power weapon into an weapon for storming the enemies base, which is what most game mechanics SHOULD do.

>"But that unbalances the game, why would anybody NOT be sprinting?" Very true! So to balance out sprinting and normal walking, the crosshairs should expand so your shot becomes more inaccurate while sprinting. I DO NOT MEAN BLOOM! This creates a good trade off between the 2 forms of transportation; for long shots walking is the better idea as accuracy is needed, for close range battles, both opponents should be sprinting and strafing to outskill the other.

I kind of like this approach, and it makes sense if your crosshairs expand while running instead of going away completely, because let's face it, if you're running you are going to be less accurate. However, if one player is sprinting and the other isn't, the non-sprinting player has an advantage on accuracy. And we'd need a lot more control over how we sprint than we currently do.

• Like 1

SixWaysToSunday, I am amazed. I couldn't agree more with you. Everything you said makes perfect sense. Today I was on matchmaking and I was up against a team who were all in the same party. Every time I shot one guy, he would sprint away and then his friend would come out of nowhere and kill me. It made me so frustrated and angry. I think SixWaysToSunday deserves the "Well Spoken" Award.

• Like 1

No

Why not add something constructive to this, instead of a one word response that means very little? Seriously. If you don't like any of the ideas, give a reason why. Explain what you don't like, come up with alternatives, something. Not just "No".

• Like 1

I'm not so sure on this one. I'm up in the air about it. I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time, I can see where people are going to say that a 900lb spartan shouldn't be able to sprint endlessly. BF3 is designed around a lot of vehicle play, especially on the larger maps. If you don't get into a vehicle, you're kinda screwed. So, to counter that, you add in an unlimited sprint feature, and now somebody that doesn't get into a vehicle can get to an area quicker, but still be late to the party. I liked that feature, but at the same time, wondered why my normal human could sprint endlessly across 500 meters and not be winded, and then immediately sprint again if he wanted to.

If you want a universal tie-in, consider this. Halo4 MM is based on Spartan IVs, some of whom were designed as fetuses to be perfect soldiers. They are the pinnacle of "super solider," better than Spartan IIs on every level AND they have new armor even more advanced than the MJOLNIR worn by out favorite protagonist. They have been trained since birth to be deadly weapons and all power suits like the MJOLNIR is powered by fusion cores that make moving the armor like moving feathers. So combining the extreme conditioning they have along with stim-pack from the suits, I expect them to be able to sprint many miles while keeping great accuracy.

On a gameplay note, I think its unbalanced that someone who wins a firefight is basically screwed if they have to fight again in a few seconds. Atleast in previous halos it was possible to back down, but in Reach you can disengage without the dude sprinting at you and finding you.

I kind of like this approach, and it makes sense if your crosshairs expand while running instead of going away completely, because let's face it, if you're running you are going to be less accurate. However, if one player is sprinting and the other isn't, the non-sprinting player has an advantage on accuracy. And we'd need a lot more control over how we sprint than we currently do.

I totally agree, we should be able to sprint in all directions to fully utilize the ability.

Im amazed people are actually agreeing with me lol and just ignore chicken343, its his problem if hes not going to be constructive.

SixWaysToSunday, I am amazed. I couldn't agree more with you. Everything you said makes perfect sense. Today I was on matchmaking and I was up against a team who were all in the same party. Every time I shot one guy, he would sprint away and then his friend would come out of nowhere and kill me. It made me so frustrated and angry. I think SixWaysToSunday deserves the "Well Spoken" Award.

:D why thank you! I was hoping people would agree with me and MAYBE get the attention fo 343i.

Erm...I still dont like your 3rd point. Everyone would still do it.

Sprint is meant to be defensive. Or at least passive.

This is one of those things I am never going to see in your light.

Your right, sprint is designed to be a defensive ability, atleast in other games. The problem is, other games dont have shields or a long time-to-kill like Halo and thats why sprint needs to change. You dont see players sprinting across the open in CoD and only noobs do it in BF3, yet that occurs all day long Reach and kinda ruins the feel of a shooter: "why am I shooting at you if Im not going to kill you?"

So Im proposing to make sprint an offensive ability, were someone cant sprint across a map without you sprinting after their ass to get the kill.

I like your argument. I agree with number 1 100%. The same should be done for barrel rolls if there are any. For number two i don't know really to me Also sprint seems like it's already aggressive especially because that how people kill me when i am low on health needing cover. I wouldn't have sprint and they just use it to chase me down.

Your right, sprint is designed to be a defensive ability, atleast in other games. The problem is, other games dont have shields or a long time-to-kill like Halo and thats why sprint needs to change. You dont see players sprinting across the open in CoD and only noobs do it in BF3, yet that occurs all day long Reach and kinda ruins the feel of a shooter: "why am I shooting at you if Im not going to kill you?"

So Im proposing to make sprint an offensive ability, were someone cant sprint across a map without you sprinting after their ass to get the kill.

Unlimited sprint for everyone and Sprint being standard I agree with. Being able to shoot while I sprint I simply cant.

I agree too. This needs to be built in along with jumping to every spartan, but I really don't want armor abilities to come back because if I see a dude sprinting at me then go into armor lock, i'll probably have a heart attack. I hated the armor abilities in reach just because of armor lock and I hope the system doesn't return in halo 4.

I agree too. This needs to be built in along with jumping to every spartan, but I really don't want armor abilities to come back because if I see a dude sprinting at me then go into armor lock, i'll probably have a heart attack. I hated the armor abilities in reach just because of armor lock and I hope the system doesn't return in halo 4.

Yeah I dont like armor abilities and dont want them to return in Halo4. The idea here is if sprint is going to be included, to do it right and make the game more fun.

Just remember: Spartan MJOLNR (sorry if I spelt that wrong) armor is power assisted, and spartans are pumped full of genetic steroids. Also not a surprise that spartans with their armor can accelerate to 60+ km per hour.

I think I just replied wrong...

i could not agree any more and that sprint that is unlimited is not worth it and will turn the game into battle field but at least it is not cod

Well having limited sprint is gamebreaking for halo. Its very frustrating to be powerless because I was in a previous engagement and my opponent was not. As for saying itll make it like BF3, thats very untrue. Thats like claiming sprint made Halo more CoD-like.

Sprint should be default. No more, no less. Shouldn't be unlimited, but maybe it should have a slightly longer duration. And no shooting. That's just cheap.

Well why is it cheap? Its a new idea (atleast I think it is) but I cant see anything being "cheap" about it.