BxR in halo 4

Skittlze

So in halo 2 there was the bxr bxb glitches. These increased the skill gap between pro and noobs by a lot. Well why not bring back button combos like these. Not as glitches but as an actual part of the game similar to how in gears of war you can press a button to reload faster. I know that there are many people who would be like wait that's not fair what about all the people who aren't good at quick button combos? Well why not have an option in game settings to enable or disable them and in matchmaking those players who are skilled with the button combos can use them and up their rank and those who aren't as good will play In the lower ranks or play social until they can use them and be as good as the pros

Just my idea probably to late for halo 4 but what about halo 5?

• Like 1

The BxR combo does not show more skill. I can hands down rape pretty much anyone with a BR standard in halo 2. The only time I lose is when someone finally hates me enough to use the BxR to take me out. And even then, using the BxR almost always results in me killing them anyway, or they almost die and kill me. BxR takes no degree of skill. You still have to aim and pull the trigger, and using BxR does not increase amount of time needed to align a shot or properly aim or track your target. All the BxR simply does is give you a double burst shot instead of one. BxR is an exploit and has no grounds of being implemented into a title on purpose.

• Like 8

BxR made it that you did a melee followed by a BR shot instantly (removed the anamation of lowering the gun). BxB was the same but followed by a 2nd melee. Then you had what few could manage to do was the RRX(YY), which was a glitch that shot 2 br shots instead of 1 (and the yy so you can do it a 2nd time without delay).

I dont think it added skill, you basically just had a auto kill whenever in melee range, whoever was first or had better conection usually won. And I noticed OP didnt mention the RRX, I would bet you couldnt pull it off and wouldnt be happy that would return now would you?

In the end I had to know these things since it was needed to play at higher levels, even though Bungie has stated weapon glitches are in the same boat as super jumps and are cheating. I am certain these things will not return.

The BxR combo does not show more skill. I can hands down rape pretty much anyone with a BR standard in halo 2. The only time I lose is when someone finally hates me enough to use the BxR to take me out. And even then, using the BxR almost always results in me killing them anyway, or they almost die and kill me. BxR takes no degree of skill. You still have to aim and pull the trigger, and using BxR does not increase amount of time needed to align a shot or properly aim or track your target. All the BxR simply does is give you a double burst shot instead of one. BxR is an exploit and has no grounds of being implemented into a title on purpose.

I think your talking about double shooting(R,R,X) and not BxR, which perfumes a melee and instantly shoots(skips animation) to kill your opponent. Just wanted to clear that up. But your absolutely right, they would not implement these on purpose.

BXR is a cheap trick to increase attack speed.

'B' was the melee button back in the day, and that would lower your shields.

'X' was reload. When you pressed it, it would skip the cooldown animation between your melee doing damage and your gun resetting to firing position. Basically, you can't fire straight after a melee, but you can fire while reloading if you have any bullets left in your gun.

'R' is Right Trigger, and shoots.

So, you take down their shields, and instead of having to wait a second or so before you can fire again you can just reload and shoot pretty much straight away.

This isn't a skill gap thing, it's clearly a glitch. If Bungie had WANTED you to be able to shoot straight away after meleeing, they would have set it so you could do it without a button combination.

All the BxR simply does is give you a double burst shot instead of one.

That is actually the Doubleshot, which took skill.

If Bungie had WANTED you to be able to shoot straight away after meleeing, they would have set it so you could do it without a button combination.

And Bungie knew about the glitch for a very long time and yet did nothing about it. That tells you something. Not to mention that MLG allowed players to do it in competitive tournaments. So, for the people that say it didnt take skill, are probably just mad because they could never do it. Id be suprised just how many people on this site actually played Halo 2 and were actually any good at it.

• Like 1

Yeah I got the BXR and Double shot confused. my bad. It's still cheap tricks that don't require any skill. When we talk about skill in games, we refer to ones ability to aim and out maneuver the opponent by means of proper weapon usage and environment....not some lame 3 button combo.

BXR was a no-skill technique. With settings on high, all you had to do was run at someone and pull the BXR...and they were dead. No big out moving or out thinking the opponent...just a simple 3 button combo with little to no aiming and they died.

Double shooting and quad shooting are in the same ball park.

Halo 2 for PC sees this way to often. Players will run around with their keyboard or mice setup to do double shooting, quad shooting and BXR, by means of button programming. Your really gonna tell me that it is skill, and not some lame trick? As for Bungie...there is nothing they could do to patch this glitch. Halo 2 did not support host/client script syncing so they could not update anything via script. <------- (the way they do it Reach via Megalo).

I was always under the impression that MLG did not allow BXR or superbounces and conscidered them cheating. I will have to confirm this with someone I work with who used to play the MLG circuit in Halo 2. And yes, I was and still am good at H2. I out BR most double shooting and quad shooting players.

Twinreaper button combos were completely allowed in MLG, the pros absolutely loved them and any old pro from back then says they want them back. As some verbal proof; the only reason Walshy, one of the most famous pros, ever made the circuit or became so well known was because he could pull off the combos perfectly. Thats one reason why Walshy wasnt nearly as good at Halo3 and never played at the pro level for Reach.

If you want more evidence, go to twitch.com on a Reach stream and ask the chat room. That should be enough to confirm this.

so rather than the glitches what if 343 added a small thing on purpose as a little way to a little bit faster

like adding in a click noise everytime you reloaded so that you could reload faster if you pressed reload durring the click noise but if you messed up then the gun jammed for an extra second or two

or made it so that you could fire the br/dmr twice as soon but only durring a small window and if you missed this small window you had to reload and unjam the gun which would add a high risk high reward aspect to taking advantage of these mechanics. plus this would also stop people from spamming the trigger and make more of an emphasis on timing their shots

still i understand people dont like these ideas but would this make it better or is this just more cheep tricks in your opinions?

cant wait to hear what people think

so rather than the glitches what if 343 added a small thing on purpose as a little way to a little bit faster

like adding in a click noise everytime you reloaded so that you could reload faster if you pressed reload durring the click noise but if you messed up then the gun jammed for an extra second or two

or made it so that you could fire the br/dmr twice as soon but only durring a small window and if you missed this small window you had to reload and unjam the gun which would add a high risk high reward aspect to taking advantage of these mechanics. plus this would also stop people from spamming the trigger and make more of an emphasis on timing their shots

still i understand people dont like these ideas but would this make it better or is this just more cheep tricks in your opinions?

cant wait to hear what people think

Still seems like a cheap trick to me.

What your talking about is more like the active reload mechanic from Gears of War. To tell the truth I like Halo as a simple game so Im not a big fan of adding button combos, to me that would make much more sense in a sequel to Reach (a gameplay sequel not a storyline one).

• Like 2

Yeah I got the BXR and Double shot confused. my bad. It's still cheap tricks that don't require any skill. When we talk about skill in games, we refer to ones ability to aim and out maneuver the opponent by means of proper weapon usage and environment....not some lame 3 button combo.

BXR was a no-skill technique. With settings on high, all you had to do was run at someone and pull the BXR...and they were dead. No big out moving or out thinking the opponent...just a simple 3 button combo with little to no aiming and they died.

Double shooting and quad shooting are in the same ball park.

Halo 2 for PC sees this way to often. Players will run around with their keyboard or mice setup to do double shooting, quad shooting and BXR, by means of button programming. Your really gonna tell me that it is skill, and not some lame trick? As for Bungie...there is nothing they could do to patch this glitch. Halo 2 did not support host/client script syncing so they could not update anything via script. <------- (the way they do it Reach via Megalo).

I was always under the impression that MLG did not allow BXR or superbounces and conscidered them cheating. I will have to confirm this with someone I work with who used to play the MLG circuit in Halo 2. And yes, I was and still am good at H2. I out BR most double shooting and quad shooting players.

BxR, BxB, and Double Shotting were legal in MLG during halo 2. Superbouncing was not legal. Personally I loved all of these glitches because as Skittlze said they provided seperation. Double shotting and BxR'ing effectively did take skill because you needed headshots to get the kill, and double shotting was not an easy glitch to master. BxB was useful as well; although not as effective as BxR it was helpful if you didnt have a BR or Carbine.

Superbouncing provided hours of fun in custom games trying to master bounces and get to never before reached places. Combine that with sword cancelling and butterflying, and you could glitch out of most levels in the game. These elements will never be put back in any game, but I still cherish the fun they provided.

By the way yes I and many others used to superbounce in matchmaking. It was too much fun sniping people from out of maps to not do it. :thumbup:

I could superbounce on top of lockout, ascencion, burial mounds (out of map), zanzibar(on top of the wheel, roof, and out of the map) , headlong (crane and out of map), foundation, warlock, turf (out of map), sanctuary (in the tree haha) , and terminal (out of map).

I will say this. I considered superbouncing cheating. Even though technically, yes, it was in the game and everyone had the ability to do it, whoever did it first, had a huge advantage. I can see the argument for the BxR/BxB. But the Doubleshot, as Carts said, took an insane amount of skill. Timing the doubleshot properly and aiming took a lot skill. Plus, the big disadvantage was, if you messed up your Y+Y switch, you were probably gonna die. Besides, if you were dumb enough to run in a straight line the whole game, you deserved to be Doubleshot.

And Destroyaaa said, I never did superbounce in MM but I did customs just have fun or get out of the map. I spent hours upon hours doing that. I actually did something in Halo 2 that I never saw anyone else do. I combined the BxR with a Doubleshot. B-XR-RX-Y-Y-R-RX. I took me forever to get it right. But it was a lot of fun when I finally did.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, reading this thread has made me lose hope in this ******* community and hope that there'll be a playable halo again.

First of all, more than half of the people posting in here have either never played halo 2, and shouldn't have an opinion, or got farmed in team trainnig all day, unable to pass rank 12, and shouldnt have an opinion.

BxR was not a "cheap trick" like all you ignoramuses have previously stated. Ill try and spell it out so your lazy eye can keep up.

1) It wasn't as easy as just pressing 3 buttons. It recquired timing, speed, and maneuverability to be used. You had to time it just as you entered melee range, you couldn't do it too fast or the melee wouldn't register, you couldn't do it too slow or youd lose the bxr duel, against high end opponents who wouldn't just WALK IN A STRAIGHT LINE WAITING TO BE BXR'D, youd have to move the right joy stick while simultaniously pressing the button combo, WITH NO BUMPER JUMPER, that wasn't around then. This is why Walshy was so successful because he played with his hands claw, google the image. I remember when i first learned about the bxr and it took me a couple weeks just to become mediocre at it.

2) It contributed to the already fast paced game. Just look at montages or gameplay of H2 and compare it H3 and HReach. After halo 2 it's like watching two turtles *******. You wouldn't be stuck spamming "B" or "melee" to get close range kills, youd bxr and if it missed (which it did often) you had spammable bxb(which missed more so than bxr) coming behind it. You could get a bxr and bxb off quicker than you could 2 melees in the other games or even h2 for that matter.

theres a whole bunch of bad grammar and mispelling but im not about to proof read my rage post

3) As for the skill gaps it created it was more than just "those who could bxr" and "those who couldnt". There were noobs within the ones who knew how to bxr. those were the ones who would run in a straight line eating bullets just to get a bxr. Which you would kill before they got to you or simply strafe around.

For the twinreaper guy who said he could beat someone double shotting every time with a reg br should have lost all his credibility in that one sentence. Yea youd win occassionly due to a **** up in the yy or rrx in general but every time? come on now. You'd get quadded before you got 3 shots off. He goes on to say he was really good and still is good at halo 2. Anyone who actually played halo 2 would never get bxr and double shot confused, considering bxr is pretty much self explanatory: press b, x, then r. This guy is so full of **** it's rediculous. BXR made a higher degree in skill especially when "out moving or out thinkning" your opponent. For example you wouldn't follow a lit player (no shield) around a corner because they'd spin around and bxr you. It was a common strategy to actually try to lure people around corners for such a thing. He makes one good point about the comp players but honestly if theyre gonna do that whats to stop them from getting an aimbot? and its so ovious when people had modded combos. especially when you see people running around with a fully automatic br. my friend had a controller he called it his gatlin gun haha.

About superbouncing, that was actually a ****** up thing to do in matchmaking, like getting the lead and bouncing out the map. However, these bounces added days worth of entertainment, exploring outsides of maps with a glitch gametype, or just ******* with people in BTB by getting a flag out of the map and (with sudden death lasting forever) making them quit hahaha. ******* with people in 2s by playing hide and seek. There's a lot more good with superbouncing than bad, only once you've experienced it could you really understand.

Edited by CallMe KYRRUPT
  • Like 1

The double and quad shot were not cheap tricks. Go into a halo 2 custom game right now and try to do the quadshot. It's simple. You just need to press RRXYYRRX super fast and at the perfect time. Not to mention trying to keep a bead on someone at the same time. It's far from easy or cheap. Cheap implies that it's something any player can pull off no matter how new they are(like noob-tubing in any of those horrendous COD multiplayer messes)