// The Pillar of Donut //

Donut

My March Forge Contest map. (Pictures hidden until voting starts)

::Weapons::

8- Assault Rifles
12- DMR's
3- Magnums
1- Rocket Launcher
1- Shotgun
1- Sniper Rifle
14- Frag Grenades
6- Needle Rifles
4- Needlers
1- Plasma Repeater
2- Plasma Rifles
14- Plasma Grenades

::Type of map::
Symmetrical map based on a factory above Pillar.

Mainly for 1v1's and 2v2's. Can be used for 2-8 players on FFA.

Please give me feedback on what you liked and what I should improve! Thanks! Download is down.gif

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=27106931&player=PLaTiNuM%205kiLLz

::Map Description::

A factory based map that has many aesthetics, great gameplay and my first 1v1/2v2 map that I've made. It has 3 power weapons: A shotgun in the right (from red's point of view), a sniper on the left (red's point of view), and a rocket launcher in the middle. Has 4 needlers (2 that have no clips), some plasma/flag grenades, DMR's, magnums, Needle rifles, Assault rifles and some Covenant weapons that most players would rather "pass by". It is a small, symmetrical map, pretty balanced out and, through the test gameplays I did with the members here, should turn out fantastic in the 1v1/2v2 tournament. I've used those circular ramps to make it look like you are playing in a factory, and lighting effects in some areas, so that the map doesn't look TOO dark. The bridge I made looks really good and I think that will have some great slayer action on it.

I like how it is open but at the same time close quarters. Its a little dark but that can be fixed with a few lights. The weapon choice is good, but the spawns are easy to shoot at if you have the sniper rifle. Over all 8/10

The positioning of the Needlers on the extended railings is a little... odd. It would probably be a little better if both sides either had boxes or one-way shields - also, the shield-accessed one is very easy to crouch jump onto, whereas for some reason it's very difficult to do the same on the boxed one.

For a 2v2 match the initial spawns are also quite strung out, I think they could definitely be improved by clustering up a little more: as is, it's possible for someone to be outnumbered pretty much from the word go, and that immediately hands one team the advantage.

The sightlines from the two 'bases' are also a little too dominant, although I like the way the central bridge is positioned as it definitely helps break things up for the better. If the low walls were raised just a little to ensure safety from long-range high ground attacks, cover on this map would be pretty much perfect.

The sheer amount of weaponry isn't such a good thing, especially for a 1v1 or 2v2 map - this is the kind of armoury most common to BTB matches and controlling weaponry is going to be a lot less important as it's possible to fully re-arm pretty much from respawn. 'Nade spam is also going to be horrendous, as with 28 of them on the map there's really no need to preserve them for tactical use.

Anyway, on to positives! I like the aesthetic a lot, the use of Juicy FX works really well and adds that feeling of originality to the map - goodness knows it's one of the less common ones. The wall behind blue base is also very good-looking, and although I think it would have been better if the opposite wall had been completely rock rather than just in the middle, it definitely helps break up the grey. There's also a good balance of cover to open areas (even if some of the high ground really is too powerful) and there's a real sense of flow around the map. The use of lighting and the central position and decoration of the 'bridge' makes it very easy for players to orient themselves from spawn, which is always a plus.