Sprint. DON'T DO IT.

Drakell

It is my personal belief that the armor abilities that were contrived for halo reach are also what ultimate but an end to most of the fan base of halo. I'm willing to bet that most of the people that did enjoy never played halo 2 or 3 very competitively. I used to be semi-pro at halo 2 and there was nothing I enjoyed more than the competitive nature that the game brought to the gaming world. I think everyone would be lying to themselves if they didn't think that halo 2 is what started the huge gaming competitions that exist today. The game brought with it a challenge and competitiveness that has somewhere been lost along the years. Yes, halo 3 had it to some extent, but the game itself was a slower pace in my opinion.

Without going off into all the reasons I think the game series gradually declined, I would like to state my opinion on the possibility of armor abilities. I think that they are, overall, a bad idea. The problem is that you can't make a map that functions with and without armor abilities. Every map in halo 2 and 3 was designed so that every player had the chance to make every jump, and every skillful maneuver that they could in order to gracefully move around the map. With the introduction of sprint however, this gracefulness was lost. Suddenly you can only make certain jumps at certain points in the game. An opponent my rapidly run up on you from behind and easily overwhelm you before you can react.

Back in halo 2 I played on 8-10 sensitivity. When I played against other players, I could take 1 BR shot, turn around, and be hit for hit with them on shot 2. Now they are still 1 shot ahead of me, but if I outplay them I still have a good chance of winning that fight. Almost all of this skill level is lost with the introduction of sprint. By the time I notice them on radar, they are so close that if I'm in a confined space I may already be getting hit in the face by melee. This is just a simple example of why I don't like the ability (Don't even get me started on the sword/shotgun).

TL;DR Anyways, I don't know if I successfully explained why I think it's a problem but I really hope that sprint isn't included in the game. It takes away from the skill level, and in my opinion, the fun.

• Like 3

While I wasn't much of a fan of armor abilities (Besides the drop shield & sprint), I would still like to see sprint. It was interesting to use, especially because it could be used to dodge a grenade/bullets. Plus, if you were to put unlimited armor abilities on you could sprint forever. Personally, I liked sprint, and think it should return in some form, but not all armor abilities.

Though I disagree with your thoughts about Reach being the "end to most of the fan base" and that those who like or enjoy Reach never played Halo 2 or 3 competitively, there is a hint of my feelings in there as well. You offer the feelings that many have expressed for along time. I have had many of them myself. We now have a new game that promised a return to what made Halo good. Made Halo, Halo. So far, what has been referred to as sprint may just be a short burst of speed offered by the thruster pack, maybe even used to increase jump height, who knows until we see or hear direct comments. I agree with your thoughts on skill and playing on a level playing field. Hearing comments about maps for Halo 4 being designed with "competitive players in mind" was nice to hear for me. I have been made to understand that the "sensitivity" has changed dramatically from H2 to H3 and then to Reach. If what I was told was true, the rotation/spin you made it H2 happened immediately, meaning once direction was chosen, the speed of the turn was begun at the set level. Now is is said the be "geared", for lack of a better term, meaning your speed of rotation begins a zero, increases to set sensitivity, then declines. Whether this is accurate or not, I agree that some of the AA's have affected a players opportunity to respond therefore changing a core part of game play.

thanks for the OP.

agree with you both but am leading more towards the fact alot of people have left Halo due to Reach being a fail in many areas < again only my opinion as i know alot of people tend to enjoy it.

As for the competitive side i defiantly think people left because of how reach turned out at the start, nowadays MLG's playlist does the job but still alot to fix/bring back from what we all use to and halo being halo. As for the armor abilities ill agree that they need to fall away, people tend to rely on them so much that they either forget the concept of the game or that there's weapons on map which can assist killing those who H*** up the ability to either Sprint away, evade or use armor lock when one shot. Pisses me off tbh as im sure alot of you are. Halo in the past was the game which you can get away after being spanked on and nowadays i feel kids take too much advantage of using them instead of having fun playing the game, even though a few months ago i wouldn't see Reach being a good competitive game at all because of the armor abilities, but now with MLG and ZB in place it's alot better and slowly people have come back from what I see. Again an opinion as I found myself playing reach and not enjoying it. Especially when a bk would sprint away or use armor lock when he's absolute or even one shot which he would of been dead ages ago if it was any other Halo we've played. So leaving on that note we didn't have these abilities in H1, H2 or H3 and majority of the people loved those titles so why have them now in H4?

343 we fine without having something to sit back on whilst it helps us get kills or gain an advantage, if not and you people don't agree that's cool just go play some COD. We all know how easy it is getting kills in that game :P

• Like 1

While I can see where you're coming from, I believe sprint isn't nearly as bad as some people are trying to make it out to be. When someone is sprinting towards you, you've still got the ability to shoot at them while they're doing so. If they sneak up behind you, depending on the range of the radar, there's still plenty of time for you to react when you see a red blip.

Also, in regards to the whole "It allows people to run away" argument. People found ways to get away in previous games as well, and I never heard anyone complaining about it then. If someone positions themselves close to cover, or close to an entry into a lower or upper level of the map that they can sprint to, what's so terrible about them using what they're given to doge enemy fire? If someone sprints away, you're still fully capable of chasing after them, or shooting them as they're moving away. Not every single fight can be won. You need to learn how to trap your opponenet if you believe they're going to sprint away. Corner them, toss some grenades around their immediate area or where you believe they're going to move to. I rarely saw someone turn around and sprint away from me when I played Reach. If you did, that stinks, but you could have done multiple things about it. If you chase after them, you risk being ambushed, but that's the risk you take for wanting to get every single kill, and not admitting that some battles can't be won.

Chase after them.

Continue to fire upon them.

Use a combination of grenades and gunfire.

Stick with a teammate to double your firing power.

Or even tell your teammates where you believe that the person is headed to so that they can finish them off.

• Like 1

I am not in favor of sprint, but it is in there now and it will be in there when the game is released (unfortunately) I really wanted 343 to revert halo back to it's roots (gameplay as similar to halo 2 % 3 as possible) but I doubt that is going to happen... I will try to remain positive about halo 4, but seeing sprint really makes me sad... 343 seems like a good gaming company and I think that if they release halo 4 with a mix of reach and 3 features and people stop playing 4 and start hating on it 343 will finally understand that halo reach is not the way to go, it is the WRONG way to go. Thus they possibly will revert back to halo 3 style, which would just make me so happy.

I still don't know how I feel about this, I am not "pumped" for halo 4 but I am going to try because I feel that it is the only hope. Halo 2 is gone and halo 3 is dead halo reach is going to die soon too (thank god).

I really wanted 343 to revert halo back to it's roots (gameplay as similar to halo 2 % 3 as possible)

How about no? We've played Halo 2 and Halo 3. If you still want to play something similar to those games, go play Halo 3. Halo needs to evolve. It needs to bring new things to the series and make them feel like a natural part of the series' evolution. It doesn't need to remain the same exact thing in terms of gameplay, or people are more likely to leave due to a lack of change. More likely to leave because the series isn't progressing and is becoming stale.

Everyone's always complaining because Call of Duty is the same thing over and over. It's the same game every game with just different weapons and maps and blah blah. Well you're saying that you want Halo to remain as close to 2 and 3 as possible in terms of gameplay, are you not asking them to do what Activision is doing with Call of Duty? You are. You're asking them to not change how the game plays, or not add any new features or changes into the game. People are going to quickly grow tired of playing the same type of game each and every entry into the series. People have already given up on Call of Duty and constantly bash it for being the same thing game after game. Do you want them to do the same thing with Halo?

You're acting like sprinting is a game killing or game crippling feature, when it's really not. How many people do you see in other games complaining about how someone sprinted away, or how people can run up to someone faster and use their weapon more effectively? I don't really see it that often, if at all. Halo's community seems to be the community that despises Call of Duty because it's the same thing, yet when it comes to change and evolution of their own series, they get hot and bothered about the smallest additions that are made.

• Like 4

Great. Another player stuck in the past, against change. Sprint is great. It speeds up games, makes them more exciting and tactical. I love it. Why would you not want it?

No it doesn't. I'm sorry, but have you actually played any competitive halo, where the players actually care about everything that unbalances the game or creates issues? Sprint is the lesser evil of the AAs, but it's still not 'great'.

• Like 2

No it doesn't. I'm sorry, but have you actually played any competitive halo, where the players actually care about everything that unbalances the game or creates issues? Sprint is the lesser evil of the AAs, but it's still not 'great'.

So being able to get to objectives, enemies, and teammates quicker doesn't speed up games? (especially when coupled with faster movement speed as we saw in the small clips of Halo 4) Not being stuck at one running speed, and instead having the option to move faster doesn't speed up games? That doesn't do something like make players think about how to approach someone because of the possibility that they may or may not escape? You're fully capable of chasing after someone who escapes, you know. You're capable of keeping fire on them, tossing grenades, and chasing after them, as well as calling for teammates to back you up or things of that nature.

There will be issues with everything. People will find the smallest issues to complain about, and blow them way out of proportion. (sprinting is an example) I could bring up the fact that the needler homes in on the target and that people aren't forced to use it like an SMG or Assault Rifle and lead the shots or track their enemies movements because it locks on. I could bring up the fact that the sword has a lock on lunge that gives someone the chance to quickly close in on them without having to find a way to ambush them. No one complains about those things though, do they? No, it's just when something new or different is added to the series that people get up and scream out about. Just because someone finds issue with something doesn't mean that it is a bad thing, or that it needs to be removed as a feature.

So being able to get to objectives, enemies, and teammates quicker doesn't speed up games? (especially when coupled with faster movement speed as we saw in the small clips of Halo 4) Not being stuck at one running speed, and instead having the option to move faster doesn't speed up games? That doesn't do something like make players think about how to approach someone because of the possibility that they may or may not escape? You're fully capable of chasing after someone who escapes, you know. You're capable of keeping fire on them, tossing grenades, and chasing after them, as well as calling for teammates to back you up or things of that nature.

There will be issues with everything. People will find the smallest issues to complain about, and blow them way out of proportion. (sprinting is an example) I could bring up the fact that the needler homes in on the target and that people aren't forced to use it like an SMG or Assault Rifle and lead the shots or track their enemies movements because it locks on. I could bring up the fact that the sword has a lock on lunge that gives someone the chance to quickly close in on them without having to find a way to ambush them. No one complains about those things though, do they? No, it's just when something new or different is added to the series that people get up and scream out about. Just because someone finds issue with something doesn't mean that it is a bad thing, or that it needs to be removed as a feature.

You do realise, that while what you say sounds fine on paper, it just *doesn't* work as well as you'd think in actual games, and that's why I'm saying unless you play competitively and notice these things, you couldn't really understand where I'm coming from.i

It's the same as when Reach first came out and the competitive players complained about things that unbalanced the game like AAs and bloom, and the casuals essentially said "get over it, and get used to it". See how well that turned out?

• Like 1

Great. Another player stuck in the past, against change. Sprint is great. It speeds up games, makes them more exciting and tactical. I love it. Why would you not want it?

Luke, in all due fairness, loving the type of play from Halo 2 and 3 does not mean a player is stuck in the past. These statements are made in lieu of Reach, in that most who refer to Halo 2 and 3 play want the step forward platformed from those games, not Reach. Minus sprint, Halo 2 and 3 moved faster than Reach. The proverbial "Pandora's Box" was opened when AA's were introduced in Reach. They became a lightning rod for complaints from those who wanted Halo 3 to advance to it's next level, not have the game changed so dramatically it lost what is considered by so many the "Halo feel".

Saying halo needs to "evolve" is a stupid reason to change it. Why would you want to make a game that people think is worse than it's predecessors? And the number of people playing reach compared to halo 2 & 3 shows that the majority of people do think it's worse.

Saying halo needs to evolve so it doesn't get old is like saying houses need glass walls. Change doesn't always mean better. Hopefully 343 manages to fix reaches mistakes and bring halo back to it's former glory

I think many people are missing my point that this is from a competitive standpoint. As for what you are trying to say serene, I completely disagree with you saying that you can do something about it. Perhaps if you are close range you can do something about it. Long range though, it's near impossible to do anything. People can sprint from cover to cover with virtually no penalty. The thing about halo 2 or 3 is that to gain good positioning you needed great teamwork to work your way into a dominate position because if you weren't careful, your entire team could be wiped out. That strategy is lost with sprint. Also, throwing grenades at someone who is sprinting is a lost cause.

As for the comment from Luke that I'm a player stuck in the past, it's clear to me that you haven't really thought your comment through. What I'm saying is that I prefer the multiplayer in past games because it is different. To me, the multiplayer experience differs from halo 2/3 to reach almost as much as from halo 2/3 to CoD. Now maybe that's a drastic statement, but I just think they are wildly different. I would welcome the change if I thought that it contributed to the overall gameplay. I simply do not believe that this is the case.

• Like 3

I think many people are missing my point that this is from a competitive standpoint. As for what you are trying to say serene, I completely disagree with you saying that you can do something about it. Perhaps if you are close range you can do something about it. Long range though, it's near impossible to do anything. People can sprint from cover to cover with virtually no penalty. The thing about halo 2 or 3 is that to gain good positioning you needed great teamwork to work your way into a dominate position because if you weren't careful, your entire team could be wiped out. That strategy is lost with sprint. Also, throwing grenades at someone who is sprinting is a lost cause.

As for the comment that I'm a player stuck in the past, it's clear to me that you haven't really thought your comment through. What I'm saying is that I prefer the multiplayer in past games because it is different. I would welcome the change if I thought that it contributed to the overall gameplay. I simply do not believe that this is the case.

You have to learn when to pick your battles. Simply firing at someone who is at long ranges in the hopes to get a quick and easy kill, despite them being so far away doesn't make much sense to me. You know the enemy is capable of sprinting away, so it would make much more sense to find a way to keep them from getting out of your line of sight, or at least moving in closer so that you have an easier time landing critical shots. If you don't believe you're capable of doing so in a situation, you either need to turn your attention towards another target, or do what I've said above.

Also, would you care to quote when and where exactly I said that you were a player stuck in the past? I don't believe I ever did so.

Would you care to quote when and where exactly I said that you were a player stuck in the past? I don't believe I ever did so.

That was addressed to another post. I will edit and clarify. My apologies.

Sprint makes halo fast paced to the point where call outs are not as affective as they should be, it also messes up spawns(depending on how small the map is) and lets players escape easier when they are about to lose in a firefight. I agree with Drakell Those who want sprint have never played halo to a high competitive level.

• Like 4

I think many people are missing my point that this is from a competitive standpoint.

I agree with Drakell Those who want sprint have never played halo to a high competitive level.

Exactly where I was coming from and glad people agree! To me Sprint was a fail and all these add-ones also changed the way Competitive games are being played. Yes I agree halo needs change and new things are the way forward so that can happen but why introduce something we've gotten on without in the previous titles? Just like people have said in H2/H3 you moved a lot faster than you do in Reach so again why change something to make us run even faster if it hasn't crippled the game in the past? the only reason I think people are moaning about things is because they adding in stuff we all not use too which again is cool seeing things need to change and new things need to come up but why add in something which clearly effects a side which a lot of us enjoy and playing halo on a competitive level. From what I can tell Map's where not specifically made to work around these abilities either and I find in most games you being fired at from someone who's across map which has sprinted/evaded towards your spawn, you then find yourself trying to back off or hide to regain your shields real quick before the next guy spots you but by that time you then have his opponent sneaking up from across map to easily get an angle in for the one shot which i find very frustrating. Yes i agree changing tactics could help, or throwing a nade or even shouting out to your team mates to assist you could do the job but again these are things that have effected the competitive side of the game and I see the community back then wanted so much to change with Reach that they forgot the way why Halo meant something in the competitive side, yes it still does but it's not the same from what we all use to and yes change is happening but we can only voice our own opinions and how we feel! I also found back then when people had asked for such things they either where playing too much COD at the time or wanted the game to be too much like it that when it came to Bungie trying those new ideas they took too much on board so hopefully 343 goes back to their own style and not follow the likes of Battlefield/COD to much, especially with the game being the same every title like mentioned. I guess at the time Bungie tried following the likes of COD seeing they became a massive competitive game since the likes of Call of Duty 4 and having perks completed a game like COD as it works but to then try it on a game like Halo I think they failed big time and did too much to change what Halo is all about, why they went down that road who knows, guess it's what the community wanted! Still don't understand why but that for another discussion on another day :).

All ill say is for us people who enjoy the competitive side of gaming these are things we will always voice and discuss what could be better or what made the game what it today! We all know change will come with every new release but that still doesn't mean they should change a lot to make the game different, if that's the case why not start a new game and keep Halo the way Halo is meant to be!

Hey, HERE'S A SOLUTION! Watch some of 343i interviews..

They already confirmed that there will be a classic playlist for the players who like that old Halo Feel.

This argument is stupid. Just get over the fact that the game is evolving, and deal with it.

You can most likely customize the gameplay settings, like in past Halo Games.

• Like 1

Not your decision.

But isn't it? We're the ones buying the game, we're the ones giving them money, no sane company would give the consumer something they don't want. If enough people don't like the decision to put so and so in any game and because of that don't buy it, then the game company will do whatever the consumer (you, me, everyone) wants. The same thing can be accomplished through petitions or mass emails. Sure it's still the game companies decision, but through sales the consumers control every decision they make.

Now on topic I don't mind sprint so much, if everyone started with sprint than I just wouldn't care since the only reason I complain about AAs is because they mean that players start the game unequal. If everyone started with sprint and were able to replace it with evade or a jump pack (not a jet pack) then I would absolutely love the game.