The Official Halo 4 Forge Thread

I loved these last two posts. I particularly loved the part about having an advanced or basic modes for editing. I as a a regular forger would like to be able to build quick maps in basic mode then switch over to advanced to work on aesthetics and detail. I feel like Bungie thought they needed to dumb it down so that everyone could use it. If only 20% of the people use forge (which is pretty accurate) then design it for those 20% of people who actually know how to forge.

Instead what happens is someone decided to make their own map who has had no experience with it before. To often I download a map that someone threw together who didn't know what they were doing (No load out picture, Spawning in a kill zone, only playable with pink and purple teams but nothing in the description, miss-matched objects in space, I could go on and on and on...)

I want a rating system for the Custom Maps that get uploaded. If people like a map and it is well built then I want to download it. If a map is a piece of crap and does not work right then I want to know before I waste the time to download and play it.

What would be cool is if through this rating system 343 tracks votes and adds the really good maps in an action sac playlist in multi-player.

• Like 1

You forgot one thing. Regions. I want to build mine in an Arctic Region. Or Desert Region.

I mentioned that in a post much earlier. I think it would be great to have one large map like forge word with all kinds of terrains and environments. I would like to see a jungle atmosphere where you can add or remove trees, but the top is covered by a dense green canopy. Also a city type area where there is concrete and maybe some sky scrapers off in the distance.

Also in these environments I want to control weather. How cool would it be to fight in the rain with rain drops splattering on your HUD when you look up, or fight in a dust storm with limited visibility. You could even let the wind effect physics of objects.

I would really like to see some weather things in forge

Including the ability to make it snow too.

What would be way cool would be to have frozen water that when you run on it you slide when you try to stop and have trouble trying to start running. If your standing on frozen water an shoot the Rocket launcher the force shoots you back too haha.

ive seen many posts on how we want the new forge to be and what we want added, so this is a response thread, and i would like you all to post wht u want added and changed for halo 4. lets make this popular so 343 will see and take our feedback

ill start

1. odst drop pods-ive been trying to make them since halo 3 but they never looked as cool or performed the right way. when you got in them you clip ur weapon into the side and take control of the pod and maybe have a little manuever capabilities.

2. ammo-yes i know theres other posts on these but i want to sum it all up and i give credit to whoever came up with it. anyways ammo of all sorts on the map tht u could pick up. you can make the any types of ammo you want and they come in like the little unsc ammo boxes or covenant ones.

3. dead bodies and blood stains- yes weve all seen them in the campaign but what if you could make a scene of your own? for instance you wanted to make a somewht scary infection map so you make the lighting dim and put a few human bodys down the hallway with blood stains on the walls. sick right? or maybe you want to make a regular battle map and put dead spartans and elites and all other types of bodys and put them all over the map. the ideas r endless. they could do it three ways. they could either do it like (spartan type 1, spartan type , spartan type 3) in the forge menu and it picks out three different scripted armors and colors to place around, idea #2 is there is just one option for each type of body (ie spartan, elite, marine, grunt, etc) and it randomly makes body type made up of armor and colors. and its random so everytime u choose the option over youll get a, lets say were using a spartan body, and the colors and armor types are randomly generated every time. #3 is you can get more advanced and pick the armor thats on tht body type and the specific color. and there can be all types of bodys like as for blood stains we put in all the basics. the regular red human blood, the light blue grunt blood, the purple jackal/elite blood, green skirmisher/bugger blood etc. and then you can place it or stick it to any surface object such as a wall or ceiling or floor.

4. this is also a biggy. many feel tht forge 2.0 was a let down because not all vehicles and possibilities were put in. im not just talking about the standard vehicles like in reach, im talking more. depending on wht vehicles they take out and put in halo 4, will change this, but they should have all the standard vehicles tht u would expect. Now, onto the big stuff. we need more variety to make bigger better maps and gametypes. like vehicles tht werent put into any halo forge. first off we should bring back the elephant from halo 3. although slow and somewhat vulnerable, it was invincible and made multiplayer and custom games turn into some wacky situations. but thts wht we love about halo all the crazyness tht can happen. i remember big team battle in halo 3 where both teams drove the elephants next to each other facing the other direction and as we were shooting and bombing the other elephant we all got this urge to become pirates and started jumping and boarding each others "ship" lets just say noone got the objective. anyways yes we want the old elephants back they were fun no matter wht. now some other vehicles. yes they should also throught in some easy to throw in vehicles such as the forklift and the troop hog. maybe even some civilian vehicles. those are a no biggy. but wht about pelicans and phantoms? is it possible we could forge them and fly them around? we would be able to load all the seats up with players and invade all at once quick and clean. whether they are invincible like the elephant is up to them. but even if we couldnt load up the phantom and pelican and sit in the seats and drive them, why not put them on the map anyway? thnk invasion where we could just place a phantom or pelicn to extract the core, and although we would be able to full interact maybe we could jump in the hangar and just use thier turrets? not a bad idea, but i would love to drive them and store my whole team in them. of course this is for forge not multiplayer so everything will be fine and balanced. unless 343 comes up with some crazy gametype with a pelican you never know! besides all tht, ik this is probably impossible but wht about ships? such as covenant cruisers and the unsc frigates with explorable hulls tht you could also put stuff in? hackers put the frigates on sandtrap on halo 3? why can a game developer do it? atleast its legal. but even if they couldnt how about smaller ships such as the one the odsts drop out of, tht are only half the size of the frigates? and for the covenant how about a corvette instead of a supercarrier? the ships may not happen, but pelicans elephants and all the others are possible.

5. yes this is just a little idea. spawn different interiors and buildings. yes ik its crazy but think about it. maybe spawn the interior of a building in exodus in reach or the flood lair where all the flood eggs are on halo 3? then for buildings maybe spawn a specific forerunner structure such as the one at the end of halo 3 where *** ******* dies. crazy but just an idea

6. this is just a small not important idea. ive always wanted to make a battlefield look worn and show tht something happend here before. so i think it would be kinda cool if you can spawn a destroyed version of a vehicle and place it on the map, uve probably seen the most commen ones the warthogs destroyed throughout the campaign. and yes ik i could just blow up my vehicle but then it dissapeaars eventually

7.this is another small one, just random crap like trees and plants to maybe make a cool jungle or forest map

ok......now just take a minute and seriously think about how cool and detailed we could make forge..take a minute, breath it all in, and just think of the possibilities. there endless. just a forge world with all of these features would set the standard so high and blow the competition away. but now its ur turn. comment wht u think about the suggestions provided and write wht u would like to add. hopefully 343 will see this and take some of it into consideration.So comment and tell urs.

Disc 2 Option- Halo 4 can come with 2 discs so it can fit more into the game.

Disc options

Temporary Poll up!

add your own ideas:

new ideas: :yahoo:

physics property:glue/when you put an object phased into another one you can pick them up together

a boat

a climate

another map like Forge World

more vehicles

undo button

forge firefight

Everyone wants this... it has been decided...

• Like 1

I forge a lot on Reach. I have gotten pretty good a building maps. I don't post them though I only play them locally with friends. I really feel that with Reach they dumbed Forge down a lot to try to get more people to use it. Instead what they should have done is drop some videos in Waypoint to explain how to use forge properly. I hope 343 will do that.

Here is something I saw posted in a forge forum on Waypoint. I like most of it so I thought I would share.

A stable graphics engine -- one that isn't as prone to frame-rate lag and discoing as Reach's is -- would be wonderful for Forge. It'd allow us to build bigger and more complex maps without having to be paranoid about split-screen performance. Forge objects that are optimized for frame rate (low-poly, less bump-mapping, no dynamic lights attached, etc.) could also help alleviate the problems that Forgers currently face in Reach.

The ability to "jump" to an object's spawn location would be useful. Sort of like a Ctrl+F for Forge objects, allowing you to search through your placed objects by type, gametype label, etc., and teleport the camera to each object. This could be used to recover lost objects (i.e. objects wedged into the terrain that weren't audo-deleted; or the vehicles that your friend decided to dump into the ocean, and since he trashed all of them, you can't spawn another to use Delete All Of These on).

Few things would be more useful than the ability to group objects and move/edit them as a single unit. Many a Forger has had to relocate complex buildings or even their entire map to improve the map's layout, or prevent lighting/frame-rate bugs. Moving things piece-by-piece is tedious, difficult, and error-prone. Sub-groups would also be nice; that way, if one does need to move, say, a whole map, one would not have to dismantle all existing groups before placing all objects in one group to move.

If possible, raising the global object count would be amazing. Right now, even if one stays within budget and per-category limits, there's still a global limit to how many total Forgeable objects can be placed. (In Halo 3, it was 640. In Reach, it seems to be somewhere around 640 or 650.) It may even be wise to eliminate the budget and most of the per-category limits entirely and use only the global object count as a limit (with some obvious exceptions retaining their quantity limits; dynamic lights, for example).

Customizable FX would be just awesome. HSV or RGB adjustments (or both, for convenience), with Brightness/Gamma/Contrast sliders as well, would allow people to create a unique feel for their map variants even in spite of everyone using the same basic palette and terrain. If these FX could be scoped to a specific area (and only apply within that area), then so much the better; we could create nighttime maps with lit interiors, for example.

Some analogue to map scripting would be useful. Even simple abilities like despawning objects after a certain time, or deleting certain objects when a "trigger" object is touched, would be useful. (Respective use cases: despawning a night filter to show the passing of time; unlocking a door in a puzzle or Infection map.)

If we could place configurable vehicles, I'm sure that minigame Forgers could find a use for them. Right now,... uh, certain rulebreakers... can hybridize vehicles, creating (for example) a Falcon whose pilot and gunner seats are all Scorpion turrets. Why not give us similar functionality without having to violate Live's ToS? It'd be neat if we could determine what appears on vehicles, being able to mix and match between plain seats, different kinds of turrets, and other features.

If Halo 4 uses radiosity (the lighting system used in every Halo FPS to date), the ability to manually adjust an object's lighting would be useful. This would make it easier to blend objects in with a map's natural geometry and terrain, without having to reposition them because of some random lighting bug

Have the maps be ground-up. Like custom edition. No limits, you chose lighting, the building, the area. Land, water, sky or space. They should truly let you make your own maps. 343 should also add in ways for intertactive things such as gates, doors, elavators and MAC cannons and (perhaps) crusers and frigates. Lets not forget plecans, Scrabs, Sabres, everything Bungie didn't let you have.

FIRST OF ALL

keep this a forge post there have been to many replys on things other than FORGE...

ALSO some things you guys are saying that you want, would make the game crash every 3 seconds...Keep it somewhat realistic...

ive seen many posts on how we want the new forge to be and what we want added, so this is a response thread, and i would like you all to post wht u want added and changed for halo 4. lets make this popular so 343 will see and take our feedback

ill start

1. odst drop pods-ive been trying to make them since halo 3 but they never looked as cool or performed the right way. when you got in them you clip ur weapon into the side and take control of the pod and maybe have a little manuever capabilities.

2. ammo-yes i know theres other posts on these but i want to sum it all up and i give credit to whoever came up with it. anyways ammo of all sorts on the map tht u could pick up. you can make the any types of ammo you want and they come in like the little unsc ammo boxes or covenant ones.

3. dead bodies and blood stains- yes weve all seen them in the campaign but what if you could make a scene of your own? for instance you wanted to make a somewht scary infection map so you make the lighting dim and put a few human bodys down the hallway with blood stains on the walls. sick right? or maybe you want to make a regular battle map and put dead spartans and elites and all other types of bodys and put them all over the map. the ideas r endless. they could do it three ways. they could either do it like (spartan type 1, spartan type , spartan type 3) in the forge menu and it picks out three different scripted armors and colors to place around, idea #2 is there is just one option for each type of body (ie spartan, elite, marine, grunt, etc) and it randomly makes body type made up of armor and colors. and its random so everytime u choose the option over youll get a, lets say were using a spartan body, and the colors and armor types are randomly generated every time. #3 is you can get more advanced and pick the armor thats on tht body type and the specific color. and there can be all types of bodys like as for blood stains we put in all the basics. the regular red human blood, the light blue grunt blood, the purple jackal/elite blood, green skirmisher/bugger blood etc. and then you can place it or stick it to any surface object such as a wall or ceiling or floor.

4. this is also a biggy. many feel tht forge 2.0 was a let down because not all vehicles and possibilities were put in. im not just talking about the standard vehicles like in reach, im talking more. depending on wht vehicles they take out and put in halo 4, will change this, but they should have all the standard vehicles tht u would expect. Now, onto the big stuff. we need more variety to make bigger better maps and gametypes. like vehicles tht werent put into any halo forge. first off we should bring back the elephant from halo 3. although slow and somewhat vulnerable, it was invincible and made multiplayer and custom games turn into some wacky situations. but thts wht we love about halo all the crazyness tht can happen. i remember big team battle in halo 3 where both teams drove the elephants next to each other facing the other direction and as we were shooting and bombing the other elephant we all got this urge to become pirates and started jumping and boarding each others "ship" lets just say noone got the objective. anyways yes we want the old elephants back they were fun no matter wht. now some other vehicles. yes they should also throught in some easy to throw in vehicles such as the forklift and the troop hog. maybe even some civilian vehicles. those are a no biggy. but wht about pelicans and phantoms? is it possible we could forge them and fly them around? we would be able to load all the seats up with players and invade all at once quick and clean. whether they are invincible like the elephant is up to them. but even if we couldnt load up the phantom and pelican and sit in the seats and drive them, why not put them on the map anyway? thnk invasion where we could just place a phantom or pelicn to extract the core, and although we would be able to full interact maybe we could jump in the hangar and just use thier turrets? not a bad idea, but i would love to drive them and store my whole team in them. of course this is for forge not multiplayer so everything will be fine and balanced. unless 343 comes up with some crazy gametype with a pelican you never know! besides all tht, ik this is probably impossible but wht about ships? such as covenant cruisers and the unsc frigates with explorable hulls tht you could also put stuff in? hackers put the frigates on sandtrap on halo 3? why can a game developer do it? atleast its legal. but even if they couldnt how about smaller ships such as the one the odsts drop out of, tht are only half the size of the frigates? and for the covenant how about a corvette instead of a supercarrier? the ships may not happen, but pelicans elephants and all the others are possible.

5. yes this is just a little idea. spawn different interiors and buildings. yes ik its crazy but think about it. maybe spawn the interior of a building in exodus in reach or the flood lair where all the flood eggs are on halo 3? then for buildings maybe spawn a specific forerunner structure such as the one at the end of halo 3 where *** ******* dies. crazy but just an idea

6. this is just a small not important idea. ive always wanted to make a battlefield look worn and show tht something happend here before. so i think it would be kinda cool if you can spawn a destroyed version of a vehicle and place it on the map, uve probably seen the most commen ones the warthogs destroyed throughout the campaign. and yes ik i could just blow up my vehicle but then it dissapeaars eventually

7.this is another small one, just random crap like trees and plants to maybe make a cool jungle or forest map

ok......now just take a minute and seriously think about how cool and detailed we could make forge..take a minute, breath it all in, and just think of the possibilities. there endless. just a forge world with all of these features would set the standard so high and blow the competition away. but now its ur turn. comment wht u think about the suggestions provided and write wht u would like to add. hopefully 343 will see this and take some of it into consideration.So comment and tell urs.

Disc 2 Option- Halo 4 can come with 2 discs so it can fit more into the game.

Disc options

Have disc 2: YES-50 votes

Most Votes:Disc 1 Huge Campaign, Theater Disc 2 Matchmaking, Firefight,Custom Games,and a Kick-ass FORGE-23

add your own ideas:

new ideas: :yahoo:

physics property:glue/when you put an object phased into another one you can pick them up together

a boat

a climate

another map like Forge World

more vehicles

undo button

forge firefight

regions

doors buttons levers...ect

I completely agree with every possible thing you just said. I seriously hope your ideas become reality because to be honest if Halo 4 had all of that it would be the best game that will ever become produced. Im not even kidding I would not even play another game for a year!

EDIT: I think multiple maps available for forge would also be a great idea aswell. Forge World in Reach is nice and all but the scenery gets boring if you see it constantly. Im not asking for 10 forge maps but a good well rounded 3 or 4 forge ready maps would definately give people options.

I was discussing Forge with my brother this weekend. He is not a forger at all and I asked him what would he need to see added or changed so that he would use it. He told me unless they had a lot of prefab buildings already built and he could just place them where he wanted then he was not interested.

No offense to my brother but thats exactly what I hope they do NOT do. I cant stand prefab stuff. And moving the same buildings around to different places on a map is not going to get me excited about it.

The new forge needs to be big bold and give us the ability to customize the maps a lot more.

They should make a map, like forge world, but you can go under water people can travel but vehicles will explode and people should have the ability to go under water for a limited time. If possible I would like to build tunnels under water and have an option to drain it out( takes a lot of space, I have tried) but atleast improved water physics.