Should I Get Destiny?

depressant

Crap time? ^

Its just an idea I'm throwing out there, sure its not a perfect system but nothing is perfect, so don't be quick to bash it like that. 

The problem is the game should not have been built that way in the first place. The rng system sounds fair on pen and paper but in reality, it sucks.

"but would waste time, money, and system processing power" But it would make the game oh so much better!

"congrats, here's a reward. Done. Finished" What a silly shard? When the guy who just joined for the last few minutes and just hid in a corner doing nothing gets the exotic rocket launcher I always talk about. That just should not happen.

"This makes speed-running nonexistent, as you'd get nothing out of it. Crota was done in 8 minutes" Well how about we make the cap seven minutes just for Crota? :D

Said 'cap' time, as in the cap. Don't twist my words.

I already said it's not possible, in the event it would be, it would waste time, money, and processing power, and not be possible on last gen. So even with that, it'll never happen. The game cannot be gutted like that.

Again, I state, THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU GET EXOTICS?!

And that smart comment was quite funny.

^

I read that wrong. :D I thought it said crap time, not cap time..... Seriously, I need to start going to spec savers....

"The game cannot be gutted like that" True, but when the game was in development, making the loot system fair with a system like the one I proposed, should have been a top priority..... ( okay not like that, my idea is not that good but whatever ) so instead of relying on rng where a random joe can turn up and get an exotic... the game relies on a more sophisticated system. That tracks a number on things including when you joined and perhaps your overall kill count among other things to determine the loot you shall get.

This is of course, an idea. But is an idea that is within the ground of reality. Maybe something like this for the Taken king or Destiny 2?

Rng just seems like a good cop out so say the system is fair when in reality it is not.

Edited by Caboosh Teh Aish

Caboose, you make the assumption that random people join at the end of something and get loot. When infact in reality that does not happen, so that's flaw that is the fundamental to your argument.
An in anycase, every piece of loot is useful. Shards are good to convert for other currencies. Legendaries break down to motes for rerolling, and exotics break down for exotic shards. So RNG is fair since everything is useful regardless.

Here is how I see it. You have a few options based on some circumstances.

The options:

1. You don't buy Destiny

2. You buy Destiny base game (If you have an Xbox One you get it for the Xbox One over the 360)

3. You Buy Destiny and the Expansion DLCs. In September Taken King comes out, with plenty of new content. If you are getting it for the 360, you buy it and the first two expansions now, saving $10 if you buy the two out now together with the game via the Xbox Live store. If you have an Xbox One, I actually suggest you wait, and just preorder the Destiny: The Taken King game version to be released in September. It will be $60 instead of Destiny's current $30, but you end up getting all three DLC and save around $20-30 than buying the DLC separately. 

4. You wait to buy Destiny (and possibly it's DLCs) until after Halo 5 has come out and you have more time to play it, as you want to play Halo 5 more. Don't deny it, you want to play Halo 5 more than Destiny.

I won't actually recommend or not recommend the game, as I dislike it due to it not fulfilling many of the promises and things Bungie said it would have about a year to three months before from it's release, and then denied saying them (Exploring Space in ships, players dropping in on ships in free roam, and extended free roam (see below). I also found issues in the Beta that further disenfranchised me from the game. It's been a year, so I may pick up Destiny around Christmas (when I get some time to play it). For how the game actually plays now and all the great stuff about it, listen to Azaxx, as he plays it to the exclusion of everything else, except his moderation duties. 

If you don't have an Xbox One yet, I would suggest not getting Destiny, and instead put that money first towards getting an Xbox One and Halo 5, which comes out a month and a half after The Taken King DLC. That's another thing, when Halo 5 drops, will you switch over completely? If the answer is yes for a few months, then I would hold off on Destiny until it drops price or The Taken King edition goes on sale at a later date. With reverse compatibility coming to Xbox One, holding onto a 360 to keep being able to play those games is not as big of a deal. I kept my Xbox 360, but mainly because I didn't spend a whole lot of money on games and saved up for an Xbox One and games. 

Another thing to consider is that other than Halo 5, many games are coming out for the Xbox One (Gears of War Ultimate Edition, and new Gears game in the future, Lara Croft, Battlefront, CoD, Rainbow Six, etc). Would you want any of those games more than Destiny?

This is what I would be considering for whether or not to buy Destiny, now or in the future, being in September or after Halo 5 comes out. Take my advice and consider what I have said, and listen to those who actually play the game.

Also, the video I mentioned (skip to 2 minutes): 

• Like 2

"Caboose, you make the assumption that random people join at the end of something and get loot. When infact in reality that does not happen"

But it does happen, I have seen it with my own eyes. However that is not my only argument in my limited bag of tricks.

Observe this clip, granted its kinda outdated but the point stills stands :)

https://youtu.be/gzopWRXK_r4?t=1220
So start from where I linked you to 29 minutes in, after all. Perhaps my point can be fully clarified about the loot system.

I think regardless what people may say about the game, it would be very wise if you could try to go on YouTube and look at reviews of Destiny. This may give you a better understanding of what you might expect before you get the game or whether you should just get it or not.

Watching more than one video helps. But really putting all opinions of other gamers aside, it's your opinion on whether you think it's a great game or not and the only way you're going to find out and know is to play it.

It's totally up to you.

Edited by Helix Amell
  • Like 1

Don't listen to Caboose on the subject he is very misinformed

Destiny has improved a lot and has turned into a fun experience. I personally don't love it just because I don't have the time to play it. Its a game that requires grinding and while this is great for people who want to sink in a lot of time into a game and you will have fun I personally dont have that time due to work and school.

Although one thing Destiny does right is these Daily missions that let you play the game in short bursts and still feel like youre moving ahead and progressing. One of the few console games that does this and its what motivates me to pick up and play Destiny once in awhile

But back to my point if you're gonna get Destiny. Wait! Until The Taken King comes out this September 15th and get the Taken King bundle with the base game that way you have loads more content then just buying the game now.

All in all I enjoyed Destiny for the 80+ hours I have in it. I don't regret buying it and I still plan on playing. (except when Halo 5 and Fallout 4 come out :drool: )

• Like 1

^

I am not misinformed.

In fact about a week ago I was playing some House of Wolves over at my friends house.

A fair amount of my friends also talk about it a lot.

And after this topic started I did a lot of research, from youtube videos to articles to make sure my points and arguments were relatively up to date, and I think they are. :)

I'm not going to deny Destiny has improved, because it has. Still it feels grindy, too grindy to the point where my friend at one point resorted to doing Crucible for an entire weekend to just about get enough marks to get a new legendary, not my style. He told me it was very boring.

I was playing Eso about an hour ago and that dosent feel grindy at all. (Despite both Destiny and ESO being mmo's ) So it is possible, if done right. For an mmo not to feel grindy. Eso's levelling system is also good, rather than having to grind to level up, you just play the game. Kill things, craft items, do quest its all helps you level up.

If anything Eso just disguises it. You know, go over here and go rescue someone, standard mmo stuff. But when it is disguised with story and dialogue it hardly feels mmoish.

^

I am not misinformed.

In fact about a week ago I was playing some House of Wolves over at my friends house.

A fair amount of my friends also talk about it a lot.

And after this topic started I did a lot of research, from youtube videos to articles to make sure my points and arguments were relatively up to date, and I think they are. :)

I'm not going to deny Destiny has improved, because it has. Still it feels grindy, too grindy to the point where my friend at one point resorted to doing Crucible for an entire weekend to just about get enough marks to get a new legendary, not my style. He told me it was very boring.

I was playing Eso about an hour ago and that dosent feel grindy at all. (Despite both Destiny and ESO being mmo's ) So it is possible, if done right. For an mmo not to feel grindy. Eso's levelling system is also good, rather than having to grind to level up, you just play the game. Kill things, craft items, do quest its all helps you level up.

If anything Eso just disguises it. You know, go over here and go rescue someone, standard mmo stuff. But when it is disguised with story and dialogue it hardly feels mmoish.

Bias to ESO much? I distinctly remember ESO being extremely broken at launch with multiple problems and an overall poor reception like that of Destiny. And like Destiny, it has improved since launch. Neither ESO nor Destiny have changed their cores, so why does ESO get a pass in your book, but Destiny does not?

Destiny is not an MMO, that's what you don't seem to grasp. It is a competitive FPS shooter with RPG elements mixed in with loot-hunting and grinding. It's something akin to Borderlands, not an MMO, but not your typical FPS either. Borderlands also uses RNG for it's bosses, and when a legendary drops in that game, one person is allowed it. One. It is most certainly not fair.

Not bashing Borderlands, however, love that game a ton. 

So let me clear up your points and where you're wrong.

1. The game is not broken at fault, while it has it's problems, it has since improved. It has it's issues still, but they are tiny and insignificant in comparison to launch and what you speak of.
  2. Engrams are much fairer to the player, and rerolling makes it possible to make your dream gun out of whatever you get.
  3. End-game activities are more rewarding. VoG guarantees you a reward of some kind, and if you want a Mythoclast, Fatebringer, etc. you grind your arse off for it, simple as that. Crota has it's own system to try and give players good stuff that they actually need, more for non-grinders. Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris run on a token system where you buy the rewards you want from the desired vendor. If Brother Vance isn't selling the Eye of Sol that week, but you want it, you play Trials the week he sells it. If Variks isn't selling the chest you want, you simply save your Armour Cores, and purchase it when he does sell it. And Iron Banner is Iron Banner, it's still fine the way it is.
  4. Strikes and Crucible are still based highly on chance, but skill does often play a factor. You must remember, you're all working together to beat that strike or control those zones, it's a team effort. If one member of the team gets something great, good for he/she, you keep going and work at getting something good. 
  5. PvP is currently imbalanced, however, that's being fixed in the next Patch, so no point arguing it anymore.
  6. The system you want to implement is currently impossible to do, and won't happen in the future to Destiny 1 or the Taken King. Even such a system in Destiny 2 is unlikely as Bungie and the community has settled on RNG as it is. It isn't as terrible as you think when you get down to it. Working my arse off for 20+ raids to get that Mythoclast and Fatebringer on the same run was all the more sweet when I finally got them. You remember that feeling.

^

I'm talking about ESO in its current state and as likewise, I am talking about Destiny in its current state. :)

Eso certainly does not get a free pass and nor does Destiny in my book, I am not bias to one or the other in this state of affairs.

The thing is though ( granted with co op borderlands is unfair ) but in single player it is very fair, Sure it uses rng but it kinda works.

Every boss I killed I was always getting something useful I could use.

And more often than not, it was a new shiny gun better than the last, I felt like I was progressing with every hour of play, that is not a feeling I get with Destiny and this is perhaps the core of my beef with the game.

Its that in Destiny to progress I have to grind for hours and hours working for two days just to get a new headpiece.

In Borderlands I can play for an hour I still progress plenty, either by levelling up or by getting new loot.

I did however feel like I progressed in Destiny before the whole light thing came into play. Having a light level slowed the game to a crawl to the point where it got boring. Granted this was also because Destiny at launch had so little content for an MMO.

Perhaps they should have kept the standard levelling system but....

They should have slowed it down ( the amount of xp you earn )

Made the max cap 50.

Made more guns and armour more plentiful.

Done, that in my opinion would solve my main problem with Destiny, the feeling of hardly progressing.

Bias to ESO much? I distinctly remember ESO being extremely broken at launch with multiple problems and an overall poor reception like that of Destiny. And like Destiny, it has improved since launch. Neither ESO nor Destiny have changed their cores, so why does ESO get a pass in your book, but Destiny does not?

Destiny is not an MMO, that's what you don't seem to grasp. It is a competitive FPS shooter with RPG elements mixed in with loot-hunting and grinding. It's something akin to Borderlands, not an MMO, but not your typical FPS either. Borderlands also uses RNG for it's bosses, and when a legendary drops in that game, one person is allowed it. One. It is most certainly not fair.

Not bashing Borderlands, however, love that game a ton. 

So let me clear up your points and where you're wrong.

1. The game is not broken at fault, while it has it's problems, it has since improved. It has it's issues still, but they are tiny and insignificant in comparison to launch and what you speak of.
  2. Engrams are much fairer to the player, and rerolling makes it possible to make your dream gun out of whatever you get.
  3. End-game activities are more rewarding. VoG guarantees you a reward of some kind, and if you want a Mythoclast, Fatebringer, etc. you grind your arse off for it, simple as that. Crota has it's own system to try and give players good stuff that they actually need, more for non-grinders. Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris run on a token system where you buy the rewards you want from the desired vendor. If Brother Vance isn't selling the Eye of Sol that week, but you want it, you play Trials the week he sells it. If Variks isn't selling the chest you want, you simply save your Armour Cores, and purchase it when he does sell it. And Iron Banner is Iron Banner, it's still fine the way it is.
  4. Strikes and Crucible are still based highly on chance, but skill does often play a factor. You must remember, you're all working together to beat that strike or control those zones, it's a team effort. If one member of the team gets something great, good for he/she, you keep going and work at getting something good. 
  5. PvP is currently imbalanced, however, that's being fixed in the next Patch, so no point arguing it anymore.
  6. The system you want to implement is currently impossible to do, and won't happen in the future to Destiny 1 or the Taken King. Even such a system in Destiny 2 is unlikely as Bungie and the community has settled on RNG as it is. It isn't as terrible as you think when you get down to it. Working my arse off for 20+ raids to get that Mythoclast and Fatebringer on the same run was all the more sweet when I finally got them. You remember that feeling.

Bias to Destiny much?

I was originally joking when I said nah get ESO instead, but I won't sit here and watch you talk down to someone for giving the appearance of doing what you are literally doing. Let me clear some things up for you here.

Bungie has deliberately left Destiny's genre up in the air because it doesn't want it to be classified as an MMO (even though that's technically what it is, despite it missing parts of 'traditional MMOs' [seriously, a person missing a leg is still a person]) because then their core demographic wouldn't touch it. When was the last time you saw someone repping MLG on their G-Tag playing an MMO and being over level 15? Yeah, that's because it's 'too nerdy' and Bungie wants you to be able to have a little bit of denial when it comes to how nerdy your hobby is.

Now onto your 'counter-arguments'.

1. Problems are still problems. The severity of them is completely user-dependent. For instance, look at Halo 2. Even a decade later people still argue over whether the problems it had are game breaking or game enhancing. 

2. Yet, some people find Engrams frustrating and think the re-rolling system is a lame attempt to curb said frustration.

3. Grinding is boring. The longer the grind, the worse it is. Also, having to wait an ENTIRE WEEK for a merchant to change his stock? It's kind of sad the types of things that become acceptable when you have an addiction.

4. Very optimistic of you, but the first sentence contradicts itself. Something cannot be highly based on something and also often be based on something else. It's one or the other. In other words, the sentence should read something like this. "Strikes and Crucible are still highly based on chance but sometimes skill plays a factor in it." Either that or something like this. "Strikes and Crucible are still somewhat based on chance but skill often plays a factor in it." Oh, and it's still BS when one of your teammates who was phoning it in gets something better than you when you were giving your A game.

5. How 'bout you wait and see if the patch actually fixes it before claiming the issue is resolved, hmm? I mean seriously, if I had a dime for every time a company promised a fix with the 'next update' and the bugs either remained or got worse, I'd be richer than Activision's CEO.

6. Okay, this is about to get dark. "Working my arse off for 20+ raids to get that Mythoclast and Fatebringer on the same run was all the more sweet when I finally got them. You remember that feeling." That is the exact same sentiment as, "I had to get chunks of flesh ripped off of my back to get this cheeseburger but that made it taste SO much better." Dude. If you go a week without food and then eat a cracker it will be the best tasting cracker of your life, but it's still a friggin cracker and it's kind of BS that you had to go through a week without food to get it in the first place.

*drops the mic*

• Like 1

First of all Vault of Glass is a six-man activity, some parts can be done with maybe 4, but 3 is pushing the envelope and is mostly impossible. You CANNOT run through the whole raid with 3 people, because Aetheon 

If there's one type of Destiny player I actually want to golden gun in the face, its this.

IT'S A 5 LETTER NAME! ONE YOU STARE AT EVERY TIME YOU DO VAULT OF GLASS!

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO ADD A RANDOM E IN THERE? Seriously, there is literally no possible reason to misspell any bosses name. This is like spelling Azaxx 'Azzax' or something.

Grrr.

-----

@OP What's really important to understand about Destiny is that you NEED to have a group of friends who play it frequently, consistently, and won't leave you out of games. THAT's whats necessary for you. Doing everything alone is worse than doing everything with friends, especially since the lack of people to play with you will lock you out of major pieces of content that will essentially be required for you to progress in a sufficient manner.

If you have friends who play frequently and consistently and won't hesitate to let you join them, the game's content will be that much more enjoyable.

If you don't, be wary of the purchase. Solo players are screwed by the Destiny system.

As to whether or not buying The Taken King's bundle is worth it, think about it.

You're getting:

Vanilla game

DLC 1

DLC 2

Bigger-than-normal DLC 3

For the price of just Vanilla game.

:)

-----

Caboose, you make the assumption that random people join at the end of something and get loot. When infact in reality that does not happen, so that's flaw that is the fundamental to your argument.

That's exactly how I got my Gjallarhorn. Lol

• Like 3

If you have friends who have the game, then I'd say go for it. If not, I'd either wait 'till you have people to play with or get the game sometime in 2016. Despite what people say about the game, Destiny is actually one of the the top games to get these days (Personal opinion of course). Games I find these days are getting rather boring, such as Elder Scrolls Online, I'm sorry but I've played it for around 8 hours and I've spend most of my time walking or riding a horse. Anyway, I won't go on a long rant about that sorta thing.

Destiny is fun, the gameplay is great and keeps you intersted with its vibrant gameplay, and whilst the story isn't really there (Destiny's story is actually rather interesting but Bungie executed it rather poorly) it's a good experience. It's not a perfect game, I've been playing Destiny day 1, I know what a majority of the issues are, I know it can be a grindfest (Believe me I know) and I've experienced everything in Destiny but I can't get away from it. It's addicting, fun and if you don't take it seriously, you'll like it too. And, to add the upcoming Taken King looks really fun and it's going to add a lot more to Destiny as it is now. It's 5am so I should call it one, not sure why I decided to comment to this post but hey, it has been a while.

Trust me. The first week is SOO fun... but then you reach level 20. Then you finish the under polished story... So you go "Okay, let's do the strikes". Then you grind through 'em all. Then you can't level up with XP anymore. Then you try to gather motes of light to buy that sick legendary cape. At this point, you'd rather sell the game. It starts great, then gets really dull; at least you can build stuff in Minecraft. Then you realize, "Bungie isn't Bungie anymore. They made a promise". Then you buy CoD AW, and enjoy the blatantly better cutscenes and graphics, and loot system where you actually get elite (exotic) items (even though it's "random").

But hey, some still play it.

• Like 2