Attachments in Weapons - "Unconscious Disapproval"

Spartan Rider

Because they were PRE-attached...not leaving it up to players to finagle some monstrous weapon concoction like a wicked sidearm with a silencer, telescopic vision, armor piercing rounds and the added ability to make post game smoothies.

Don't need to overdo it! Just give some attachments that only adjust each weapon to each occasion or environment.

Example: 

The Assault Rifle is good at close range, but lame at mid and long range; so  with the possibility to attach a scope, whose function is only to increase range vision, not altering the weapon accuracy.

These attachments don't need to be overpowered or monstrous, just with the same intention as the silencer and scope in Halo ODST.

And every weapon kind (long, mid and long range) must have their own attachments.

Not to mention the way that Spartans hold and wield the Automatic Rifles is like they haven't no control on it, looking like ROOKIES when using Auto Rifles; they have no skill to accuracy, the weapon just dance on their hands.

You won't know exactly how your opponent's weapon works, even if you recognize that at its core its a BR. Different zoom strength, damage-per-shot, magazine size, etc. don't belong in the game IMO.

OH! It's not attachments, it's buffs.

As attachments I say scope (especific to each weapon kind), silencer, something like a laser (increasing accuracy, but revealing your position) and more things like that.

I think that some attachments would make Halo similar to some war games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield. If they include attachments, I only want certain ones, not too many of them. A silencer and flashlight would be good. I wouldn't like a laser sight. Too Call of Duty/Battlefied like. I don't think scopes will work out well. Depends on which guns. What type of scopes and how will they implement them into the game. Is a scope really necessary for some guns?

I agree that variation through attachments could make the game better in some aspects. I enjoyed the Silenced smg of Halo 3: ODST and the duel confetti sprayers of Halo 3, but I think that a compromise would be the sneaky continuity protector Bungie brought in with the arrival of Halo 2: weapon models. Now I know this was stated earlier but I am trying to put a different spin on it.

In Halo CE there is the MA5B variant of the assault rifle; the 60 round 7.62mm Elite shredding primary weapon, which is different to say the Halo 3 MA5C and Halo 4 MA5D assault rifles. If this were in game, rather than selecting your attachments, you select a pre-balanced weapon that suits your needs. Want more ammo in a magazine but don't mind a drop in accuracy? Grab the MA5B. Want accuracy over damage? MA5C. Rate of fire and damage for a compromise in both ammo capacity and range? MA5D is the choice for you. But it doesn't have to be variants of the same gun, because of course you have weapons that fill the same Niche such as the BR55 Battle-rifle, M392 Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR), and the MA5K (mentioned in Ghosts of Onyx and Halo legends).

Having greater diversity can allow for greater storytelling in campaign and for more variety in multiplayer. Weapons of similar models would share ammunition to prevent the players using less common weapons from permanently playing with Famine turned on. If firefight returns it would allow more customisation, for those who enjoy it there is more availability for storytelling in role-playing, maps from previous Halos could return in more than just form. Game modes for the insanely nostalgic (like a couple of my friends who denounce every halo apart from CE) can limit to one game era's weapons, or specific weapons only on a map. Assault-rifle game types, Snipers with greater variety, rockets from all eras and so on.

I am not so xenophobic to say that attachments will turn Halo into Call of Duty, because there were many-a-better game that existed before the Fish-Person-Shooter that is CoD which had weapon customization and load-outs, I do believe more customization is a natural progression for the franchise and will make the game better, but "attachments" as such do not fit the mold that was sculpted with previous Halos. Permutations is more along the lines of my idea of an addition to Halo, rather than Attachments. Choose your weapon rather than the frilly pink tassels to cover the base bland gun that everyone would rather spice up than use as its vanilla form. Changing it up by keeping the old stuff. Then those with the Meaty looking customized Mjolnir Armour for multiplayer/campaign can pick the Meaty loud gun to go with it, while those who are more a stealthy character but want to use an assault weapon can carry the cut down version. Me? I just want my Halo CE M90 shotgun to back up my Future Halo endeavors...

• Like 1

Don't need to overdo it! Just give some attachments that only adjust each weapon to each occasion or environment.

Example: 

The Assault Rifle is good at close range, but lame at mid and long range; so  with the possibility to attach a scope, whose function is only to increase range vision, not altering the weapon accuracy.

These attachments don't need to be overpowered or monstrous, just with the same intention as the silencer and scope in Halo ODST.

And every weapon kind (long, mid and long range) must have their own attachments.

Not to mention the way that Spartans hold and wield the Automatic Rifles is like they haven't no control on it, looking like ROOKIES when using Auto Rifles; they have no skill to accuracy, the weapon just dance on their hands.

OH! It's not attachments, it's buffs.

As attachments I say scope (especific to each weapon kind), silencer, something like a laser (increasing accuracy, but revealing your position) and more things like that.

How is it that an increase in effective range is any less of a 'buff' than damage-per-shot or a larger magazine? It still makes the weapon more effective and interferes with the balance the AR (for example) would have with the BR. Without the attachment, the AR would have to be balanced, but include the option for a scope (allowing better accuracy) and to balance that, you'd have to make the standard AR less effective. Handi-capping/crippling a weapon's performance to justify and encourage the use of attachments is not the way to go, IMO.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that Halo will be better of without attachments. There will be lots of arguments and hate on 343 if they put them in. There's always going to be that group of people that are going to be screaming in 343's faces telling them that they messed up Halo. This could be avoided if they don't include attachments. Honestly, I don't mind as long as the game is good and everyone's happy. If there is going to be conflict, they're better of without them.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that variation through attachments could make the game better in some aspects. I enjoyed the Silenced smg of Halo 3: ODST and the duel confetti sprayers of Halo 3, but I think that a compromise would be the sneaky continuity protector Bungie brought in with the arrival of Halo 2: weapon models. Now I know this was stated earlier but I am trying to put a different spin on it.

In Halo CE there is the MA5B variant of the assault rifle; the 60 round 7.62mm Elite shredding primary weapon, which is different to say the Halo 3 MA5C and Halo 4 MA5D assault rifles. If this were in game, rather than selecting your attachments, you select a pre-balanced weapon that suits your needs. Want more ammo in a magazine but don't mind a drop in accuracy? Grab the MA5B. Want accuracy over damage? MA5C. Rate of fire and damage for a compromise in both ammo capacity and range? MA5D is the choice for you. But it doesn't have to be variants of the same gun, because of course you have weapons that fill the same Niche such as the BR55 Battle-rifle, M392 Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR), and the MA5K (mentioned in Ghosts of Onyx and Halo legends).

Having greater diversity can allow for greater storytelling in campaign and for more variety in multiplayer. Weapons of similar models would share ammunition to prevent the players using less common weapons from permanently playing with Famine turned on. If firefight returns it would allow more customisation, for those who enjoy it there is more availability for storytelling in role-playing, maps from previous Halos could return in more than just form. Game modes for the insanely nostalgic (like a couple of my friends who denounce every halo apart from CE) can limit to one game era's weapons, or specific weapons only on a map. Assault-rifle game types, Snipers with greater variety, rockets from all eras and so on.

I am not so xenophobic to say that attachments will turn Halo into Call of Duty, because there were many-a-better game that existed before the Fish-Person-Shooter that is CoD which had weapon customization and load-outs, I do believe more customization is a natural progression for the franchise and will make the game better, but "attachments" as such do not fit the mold that was sculpted with previous Halos. Permutations is more along the lines of my idea of an addition to Halo, rather than Attachments. Choose your weapon rather than the frilly pink tassels to cover the base bland gun that everyone would rather spice up than use as its vanilla form. Changing it up by keeping the old stuff. Then those with the Meaty looking customized Mjolnir Armour for multiplayer/campaign can pick the Meaty loud gun to go with it, while those who are more a stealthy character but want to use an assault weapon can carry the cut down version. Me? I just want my Halo CE M90 shotgun to back up my Future Halo endeavors...

This I like, having the previous incarnations of current weapons for choice is a great concept. to expand on what he said:

Reach DMR/ H4 DMR

Reach has the potential to get 3 kills instead of two, but has more Bloom.

So many pistol/magnum variants

• Like 1