what the "American dream" means to you and your opinions

haloman 2

hello community members, i started school 4 days ago and today in my english class we talked about what the word "American" means to you and what you think the american dream is/are. and we had a deep conversation about it. so anyways this thread is what "being American" means to you and what the "American dream" means to you, and when i ask this i mean EVERYBODY in this forum has to answer if they want to answer this question. (azaxx that means you and other members from different countries) and please respect other peoples opinions and theories. please explain your reasoning to why you believe in your opinion (if you want to that is) and lets keep this clean no profanity and normal community rules so let us begin.

P.S if you feel this way you can speak about rash or rude things or you can talk about how you dont like the government (you know what i mean)

what america means to me is to feel somewhat ashamed by what america has done in the past, vietnam, to dark skinned people (i dont want to sound racist so thats why it sounded wieird), native americans, and of course all of our involvement in the middle east. but america also means to me is to enjoy life to its fullest no matter what happens to you or family or friends and to enjoy it no matter what hardships you go through. it means freedom and safety and security (most of the time) and you and everyone else is free to your own opinion about anything.

so how do you feel about america or how you do or would feel if you are or if you were an american?

• Like 1

As an American I feel like the American dream means you're a free man. You're not better than anyone and they're not better than you, we've each been given the same rights and can achieve anything if we set our minds to it. If you want to learn you can go to college, though in some cases you may have to work more than anything else, but you'll be able to learn and pursue your goals. As an American I'm blessed. Poverty isn't the same as it is in other countries, being poor in America might mean you don't have Internet, TV, or other luxuries but you have a house, food (even if its not what you want or as much as you want) and most of the time a car. Now I know there is unemployment and it may be worse in some areas than others but there are so many ways to succeed in America all you have to do is try.I believe America has stood on good morals mostly and has done the absolute best for her citizens. I'm thankful to be American, I'm proud to be an American, and I'm blessed to be an American.

• Like 6

America Is not as free as we would like to believe. The war on drugs makes damn sure of that. We incarcerate people than any-other country. We have a way smaller population than china, or India, japan, etc. Yet we have the LARGEST Prison population of the entire world. It pisses me off. 95.99% of the crimes committed are drug related. If they legalized drugs, not only would it remove the blackmarket but it would also free millions of innocent prisoners who's only crime is ingesting a plant. I don't want to stir up dust, and get into a heated argument or debate so I won't elaborate to much into this.

• Like 2

To have as much as you can have from doing as little work as possible, and so when you have that, you can do whatever you want whenever you want however you want.

Offering a freedom that would also require good morals, good parents, good guidance, etc to live peacefully and happily. Which, sadly, doesn't always happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an American I feel like the American dream means you're a free man. You're not better than anyone and they're not better than you, we've each been given the same rights and can achieve anything if we set our minds to it. If you want to learn you can go to college, though in some cases you may have to work more than anything else, but you'll be able to learn and pursue your goals. As an American I'm blessed. Poverty isn't the same as it is in other countries, being poor in America might mean you don't have Internet, TV, or other luxuries but you have a house, food (even if its not what you want or as much as you want) and most of the time a car. Now I know there is unemployment and it may be worse in some areas than others but there are so many ways to succeed in America all you have to do is try.I believe America has stood on good morals mostly and has done the absolute best for her citizens. I'm thankful to be American, I'm proud to be an American, and I'm blessed to be an American.

that is very well said and i really like it, i do agree and if i lived like that id still be enjoying life for everything id have.

America Is not as free as we would like to believe. The war on drugs makes damn sure of that. We incarcerate people than any-other country. We have a way smaller population than china, or India, japan, etc. Yet we have the LARGEST Prison population of the entire world. It pisses me off. 95.99% of the crimes committed are drug related. If they legalized drugs, not only would it remove the blackmarket but it would also free millions of innocent prisoners who's only crime is ingesting a plant. I don't want to stir up dust, and get into a heated argument or debate so I won't elaborate to much into this.

i do agree id not like a fight and it would get kill the drug lords and black market and not only would it free people but it would also stop people killing hundreds of innocent people a day just for drugs and it would most likely reduce crime by a lot. i dont know how much but i think it would.

To have as much as you can have from doing as little work as possible, and so when you have that, you can do whatever you want whenever you want however you want.

Offering a freedom that would also require good morals, good parents, good guidance, etc to live peacefully and happily. Which, sadly, doesn't always happen.

agreed this was also well said. you need good parents and a good life ost of the time to get a good job and happy life by yourself

Prepare for a full-on essay, as I have much to say. As such, I will keep this post formal, and in the site's original font.

The United States of America

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

~A slightly hypocritical statement.

As an American, I do love my country. As an American, I do hate my country. As an American, I may say these things so that others may testify and hear my opinion, as is the right bestowed upon me by the founding fathers of this country. Anyone who says otherwise is blinded by ignorance. No man can fully love and support his country, just as no man can fully hate and protest his country. As a citizen of this state, I have the freedom to express my opinion, the freedom to say what I feel must be said, and the freedom to say it when or where I feel I must, according to law. Therefore, fellow peoples of this fair Earth, I shall share my feelings and beliefs of this country, as I have the allowance to do.

I have my fair share of reasons why I love this country. I love my country because I have many freedoms. I may say what I want, and have any opinion I please. I may choose a career for myself, and I have many opportunities for education. It doesn't hurt that my favorite company, Microsoft, has the most support in my country since they are based here as well. I also love this country for the fact that a man usually has plenty of opportunities to make his share of money, with which he can pay for his lifestyle in a more or less adequate manner. Not only does my country have advanced medical care, but America pioneered the technological world from the 1800's to the early 1900's. Though many people think of our government or idiot people when they hear "America", some understand that this land also has just that, beautiful and natural scenes that range from dry and rocky canyons to cold and unforgiving peaks that eventually give way to beautiful and lush greenery. That said, nothing can exist without a corrupted twin hovering ever close, haunting the backs of our minds.

I also have my fair share of reasons why I hate my country. First and foremost, I hate our corrupted government that has become spoiled and rotten to the core. It wasn't so long ago that congress and the President did their jobs because they wanted to, because they were passionate about it. They didn't receive much pay for what they accomplished, and they didn't have nearly the personal funds they do now. Our government loves to think that they are the overlords of the planet, that they can regulate other countries and that they can enforce rule above them. The truth of the matter is, most of our country receives hate because of the spoiled and rotten few that taint our populace. America was once a proud and rich nation that many people looked up to. That hasn't completely changed, but most people around the world dislike and even hate us. It does not help that almost every time I speak with an individual from another nation, I get treated like a dog who thinks he is above everyone else. It does not help that I am judged according to the stupid and ignorant asses who seem to speak for the rest of us. That said, there are still many people who kindly accept us as their own. To those people, I say "thank you" and wish that the rest of the world would be so inviting. Even we Americans. The rest of the world does have a right to be a bit bitter towards us, though. Many times when a different colored or strangely dressed individual appears, people begin to talk. Muslims, Orientals, and even European peoples are spoken of unfairly here. It makes me sick. The whole world has it's fair share of this, but America seems to be the worst. Even so, every evil, has it's good.

I love my country, I hate my country and I am indifferent to my country. As a whole, I love being able to live here, but I cannot look past the petty things that many Americans do. I enjoy my freedom, but I do not enjoy the careless freedom of others. America is great and corrupt, just as anything else. Being an American means that I must look only down my path, and to enjoy the freedoms I am given in order to create a life that is wonderful and beautiful for me and my future family, my "American Dream". It means that I am given to helping others, and accepting help when I obviously need it. It means that I will be judged by others based on the mistakes of the few. It means that I will also find peace any place I go on this planet. It means that I am privileged enough to walk on the same land that many great people walked upon, and the same land that many evil people slithered across. It means that I am who I am today.

~Ryu Hayabusa

Edited by Ryu♥Hayabusa
  • Like 4

Prepare for a full-on essay, as I have much to say. As such, I will keep this post formal, and in the site's original font.

The United States of America

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

~A slightly hypocritical statement.

As an American, I do love my country. As an American, I do hate my country. As an American, I may say these things so that others may testify and hear my opinion, as is the right bestowed upon me by the founding fathers of this country. Anyone who says otherwise is blinded by ignorance. No man can fully love and support his country, just as no man can fully hate and protest his country. As a citizen of this state, I have the freedom to express my opinion, the freedom to say what I feel must be said, and the freedom to say it when or where I feel I must, according to law. Therefore, fellow peoples of this fair Earth, I shall share my feelings and beliefs of this country, as I have the allowance to do.

I have my fair share of reasons why I love this country. I love my country because I have many freedoms. I may say what I want, and have any opinion I please. I may choose a career for myself, and I have many opportunities for education. It doesn't hurt that my favorite company, Microsoft, has the most support in my country since they are based here as well. I also love this country for the fact that a man usually has plenty of opportunities to make his share of money, with which he can pay for his lifestyle in a more or less adequate manner. Not only does my country have advanced medical care, but America pioneered the technological world from the 1800's to the early 1900's. Though many people think of our government or idiot people when they hear "America", some understand that this land also has just that, beautiful and natural scenes that range from dry and rocky canyons to cold and unforgiving peaks that eventually give way to beautiful and lush greenery. That said, nothing can exist without a corrupted twin hovering ever close, haunting the backs of our minds.

I also have my fair share of reasons why I hate my country. First and foremost, I hate our corrupted government that has become spoiled and rotten to the core. It wasn't so long ago that congress and the President did their jobs because they wanted to, because they were passionate about it. They didn't receive much pay for what they accomplished, and they didn't have nearly the personal funds they do now. Our government loves to think that they are the overlords of the planet, that they can regulate other countries and that they can enforce rule above them. The truth of the matter is, most of our country receives hate because of the spoiled and rotten few that taint our populace. America was once a proud and rich nation that many people looked up to. That hasn't completely changed, but most people around the world dislike and even hate us. It does not help that almost every time I speak with an individual from another nation, I get treated like a dog who thinks he is above everyone else. It does not help that I am judged according to the stupid and ignorant asses who seem to speak for the rest of us. That said, there are still many people who kindly accept us as their own. To those people, I say "thank you" and wish that the rest of the world would be so inviting. Even we Americans. The rest of the world does have a right to be a bit bitter towards us, though. Many times when a different colored or strangely dressed individual appears, people begin to talk. Muslims, Orientals, and even European peoples are spoken of unfairly here. It makes me sick. The whole world has it's fair share of this, but America seems to be the worst. Even so, every evil, has it's good.

I love my country, I hate my country and I am indifferent to my country. As a whole, I love being able to live here, but I cannot look past the petty things that many Americans do. I enjoy my freedom, but I do not enjoy the careless freedom of others. America is great and corrupt, just as anything else. Being an American means that I must look only down my path, and to enjoy the freedoms I am given in order to create a life that is wonderful and beautiful for me and my future family, my "American Dream". It means that I am given to helping others, and accepting help when I obviously need it. It means that I will be judged by others based on the mistakes of the few. It means that I will also find peace any place I go on this planet. It means that I am privileged enough to walk on the same land that many great people walked upon, and the same land that many evil people slithered across. It means that I am who I am today.

~Ryu Hayabusa

wow! that was music to my ears. i feel that same way sometimes especially when i am in foreign countries. thank you for your "American dream" speech Ryu Hayabusa, this made my day! you should make a speech about this, maybebecome someone like MKJ (Martin Luther King Junior) i love this

• Like 1

wow! that was music to my ears. i feel that same way sometimes especially when i am in foreign countries. thank you for your "American dream" speech Ryu Hayabusa, this made my day! you should make a speech about this, maybebecome someone like MKJ (Martin Luther King Junior) i love this

Thanks. :D

• Like 1

hmm what does the American dream mean to me ( be warned I am a heavy conspiracy theorist )

The American dream to me is a load of rubbish it dosent exist they say America is the land of the free but is it no it is not day by day American peoples rights are being taken away the by the evil men and women in the government not just America but the worlds right are being taken away piece by piece because something's building up and has been for many years every terrorist attack for years has been said the green light by the US government think of 911 that was given the green light by bush it was covered up by a plane attack but military grade expsilves were planted in the basement and think of the recent election between Obama and Romany well that debate they had was planned every word they spoke on was planned and now onto the media the media does not give the real light of the story the media is just propaganda for the US but the thing that is scary about this is that just like when the US wanted to attack Afghanistan and Iraq but the people of the USA didn't want to bam down goes twin towers and the same is happing again right now so what is America going to this time they are going to do twin towers but 2x worse. :coffee:

• Like 1

American dream...

Become extremely successful, chose your path in life, support your family and have enough money for wants (not needs).

We had the same discussion in my class and I basically said that we just want to have our dream job and make a lot of money. Also be happy :P

• Like 2

hmm what does the American dream mean to me ( be warned I am a heavy conspiracy theorist )

The American dream to me is a load of rubbish it dosent exist they say America is the land of the free but is it no it is not day by day American peoples rights are being taken away the by the evil men and women in the government not just America but the worlds right are being taken away piece by piece because something's building up and has been for many years every terrorist attack for years has been said the green light by the US government think of 911 that was given the green light by bush it was covered up by a plane attack but military grade expsilves were planted in the basement and think of the recent election between Obama and Romany well that debate they had was planned every word they spoke on was planned and now onto the media the media does not give the real light of the story the media is just propaganda for the US but the thing that is scary about this is that just like when the US wanted to attack Afghanistan and Iraq but the people of the USA didn't want to bam down goes twin towers and the same is happing again right now so what is America going to this time they are going to do twin towers but 2x worse. :coffee:

thats pretty intense, im also somewhat of a conspiracy theorist too.

American dream...

Become extremely successful, chose your path in life, support your family and have enough money for wants (not needs).

We had the same discussion in my class and I basically said that we just want to have our dream job and make a lot of money. Also be happy :P

thats cool i like what you have said

hello community members, i started school 4 days ago and today in my english class we talked about what the word "American" means to you and what you think the american dream is/are. and we had a deep conversation about it. so anyways this thread is what "being American" means to you and what the "American dream" means to you, and when i ask this i mean EVERYBODY in this forum has to answer if they want to answer this question. (azaxx that means you and other members from different countries) and please respect other peoples opinions and theories. please explain your reasoning to why you believe in your opinion (if you want to that is) and lets keep this clean no profanity and normal community rules so let us begin.

P.S if you feel this way you can speak about rash or rude things or you can talk about how you dont like the government (you know what i mean)

what america means to me is to feel somewhat ashamed by what america has done in the past, vietnam, to dark skinned people (i dont want to sound racist so thats why it sounded wieird), native americans, and of course all of our involvement in the middle east. but america also means to me is to enjoy life to its fullest no matter what happens to you or family or friends and to enjoy it no matter what hardships you go through. it means freedom and safety and security (most of the time) and you and everyone else is free to your own opinion about anything.

so how do you feel about america or how you do or would feel if you are or if you were an american?

To truly appreciate being an American, I believe one would have to live outside of America for some time.  I haven't had the opportunity.  Honestly I think that the idea that we're invincible is completely false.  Empires come and go.  What makes America different from Rome is the heart of the people.  I love my country.  I love the fact that I can protest my leaders if I wish.  Many people I think have the false idea that "We're all Created Equal".  That is a noble saying but I believe the truth is "We're all created with an equally blank slate".  Many are born into poverty.  Many are born with disabilities.  A few are born well-off.  Despite where you're born or to whom you have the chance to do with your life as you wish.  One can waste life away doing nothing, serve others, or be self-serving.  In America a person is afforded the opportunity to achieve a higher status.  The government gives it's citizens the freedom to worship as they see fit (or not).  I believe that people should have that choice. 

America does have a violent past.  There were a lot of wrongs as you pointed out.  Vietnam wasn't very well thought out and slavery was/is unacceptable.  The solution isn't in politics.  Our Congress/Senate can pass laws all day but that doesn't mean that it will change anything.  We as Americans (to Americans I speak) have to come to the realization that the future of our country rests in our hands.  Our decisions are critical.  What we choose to support is an indicator of where our hearts are at.  The American Dream is shallow dream in the context of this entire tapestry we call human history.  Life isn't all about the house with the white-picket fence, the perfect family, the perfect job, and the perfect car.  Deep inside the human heart is a constant yearning for "something more".  A poor farmer can have nothing but everything with joy in his heart.  Don't get me wrong, the American Dream isn't a bad thing.  What I'm saying is that this dream isn't the "it" thing.  Is America different from other nations?  Yes and no.  I would hope that the American people would represent themselves in such a way that others would ask "What makes them great?"  If we continue this attitude of pride and pomp we'll be no better than the Romans with their oppressive and crushing might.  Lately I see that America has become a laughing stock.  We're made fun of because our obesity and temporal consumer culture. 

• Like 1

To truly appreciate being an American, I believe one would have to live outside of America for some time.  I haven't had the opportunity.  Honestly I think that the idea that we're invincible is completely false.  Empires come and go.  What makes America different from Rome is the heart of the people.  I love my country.  I love the fact that I can protest my leaders if I wish.  Many people I think have the false idea that "We're all Created Equal".  That is a noble saying but I believe the truth is "We're all created with an equally blank slate".  Many are born into poverty.  Many are born with disabilities.  A few are born well-off.  Despite where you're born or to whom you have the chance to do with your life as you wish.  One can waste life away doing nothing, serve others, or be self-serving.  In America a person is afforded the opportunity to achieve a higher status.  The government gives it's citizens the freedom to worship as they see fit (or not).  I believe that people should have that choice. 

America does have a violent past.  There were a lot of wrongs as you pointed out.  Vietnam wasn't very well thought out and slavery was/is unacceptable.  The solution isn't in politics.  Our Congress/Senate can pass laws all day but that doesn't mean that it will change anything.  We as Americans (to Americans I speak) have to come to the realization that the future of our country rests in our hands.  Our decisions are critical.  What we choose to support is an indicator of where our hearts are at.  The American Dream is shallow dream in the context of this entire tapestry we call human history.  Life isn't all about the house with the white-picket fence, the perfect family, the perfect job, and the perfect car.  Deep inside the human heart is a constant yearning for "something more".  A poor farmer can have nothing but everything with joy in his heart.  Don't get me wrong, the American Dream isn't a bad thing.  What I'm saying is that this dream isn't the "it" thing.  Is America different from other nations?  Yes and no.  I would hope that the American people would represent themselves in such a way that others would ask "What makes them great?"  If we continue this attitude of pride and pomp we'll be no better than the Romans with their oppressive and crushing might.  Lately I see that America has become a laughing stock.  We're made fun of because our obesity and temporal consumer culture. 

i really like that, thanks for the input