Should Cortana Return?

Ben Cameron

Hey guys,
I know all of us gamers are in love with Cortana, and it was devastating to watch her die. Leaving with the cliffhanger, should 343 put Master Cheif in a position where he has to go back and save cortana after her death. SHE MUST RETURN! Right when she gets hot she dies. Like what the h*ll. :D She must return and has to be in the next halo... Make a halo 3 move on us 343 and make us go save her from death.  :wallbash: SHE HAS TO BE BACK!

• Like 1

No. If she comes back, it will be incredibly cheesy and a fan-pleaser.

I only seeing it happen successfully if Halsey creates another, with a hidden subroutine to sabotage in revenge against the UNSC. A battle between Chiefs loyalty to his best friend and his species would be interesting throughout.

As she is/was? No, absolutely not. In a plot twist the shakes the foundations of the Master Chief and player? Yes.

• Like 4

I think she has to but it has to be in the right way not just re appering, maybe chief having halusinations after having a new AI given to him all the way threw 5 and she returns in 6 by giving the new AI infomation on her location(s) if she fragments herself

• Like 1

I think she has to but it has to be in the right way not just re appering, maybe chief having halusinations after having a new AI given to him all the way threw 5 and she returns in 6 by giving the new AI infomation on her location(s) if she fragments herself

exactly what i think but here should be a plot twist in it like The new AI doesn't tell cheif that there are  fragments out there and when the AI gets to one of Cortana's fragments it attacks and causes the halucinations. Or the cheif has flashbacks of when she and he were together or something along those lines. but if Cortana comes back then Halsey has to be in it. or it'll be useless

exactly what i think but here should be a plot twist in it like The new AI doesn't tell cheif that there are  fragments out there and when the AI gets to one of Cortana's fragments it attacks and causes the halucinations. Or the cheif has flashbacks of when she and he were together or something along those lines. but if Cortana comes back then Halsey has to be in it. or it'll be useless

Just thinking now what if the new AI was made from a fragment of Cortana and as it gets near a new fragment it begins to remember things and so it also affects Chief and raises questions

• Like 1

Cortana was a main character and I always depened on her to help me on missions likesometimes I get lost and have no idea what to do till she sets a Waypoint. Also I dont want to like rescue her again as we did that already in Halo 3 and would suck to do that again. But I think she should still return but in some other way that doesnt include playing about 3 missions to save her again.

love your idea wildfireC i like the new AI idea and all of that. i like the idea of chief having memories of her. maybe in the middle of a battle so you get distracted and can get hurt wile chief has a memory of her. or maybe have like some ideas and one thing 343 talked about doing for halo 5 possibly is having the 5th game take place before reach leading up to reach. (pretty much the fall of reach book in a game version) and having cortana return in the past instead but not instantly in the first level. like the 6th or 7th. any ways i love the idea wildfireC.

Yes, simply because if you remember the storyline with Halo 4 there is a part where they talk about how Cortana is unique, which is why she lasted so long. So the question is whether she dies, or EVOLVES. I think it can be done. As I have said in other threads, think about Jane from Ender's Game (well, technically Speaker for the Dead and beyond). It would not be fan pleasing because they left the possibility open within the storyline with Halo 4 as I recall.

CV

• Like 1

Haloman sorry but i don't think they would make halo 5 take place before Reach, they might make reach 2 but it wouldn't be 5 cause there have never gone backwards with the mainline games and thanks i thought it wouldn't be just a fan pleaser it would tie in with her uniqueness as a human brain evolves she was made from a piece of Halsey's brain, pretty sure not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure

• Like 1

If Halsey made another Cortana from herself, then it would fight against the UNSC, seeing as Halsey has a vendetta for Palmer.

I meant by mine

Just thinking now what if the new AI was made from a fragment of Cortana and as it gets near a new fragment it begins to remember things and so it also affects Chief and raises questions

Is that the UNSC finds a fragment of her and make an AI out of it and it slowly get stronger and raises more questions as we find more pieces, optional but may make the last mission a bit easier and what not

Haloman sorry but i don't think they would make halo 5 take place before Reach, they might make reach 2 but it wouldn't be 5 cause there have never gone backwards with the mainline games and thanks i thought it wouldn't be just a fan pleaser it would tie in with her uniqueness as a human brain evolves she was made from a piece of Halsey's brain, pretty sure not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure

ya i don't expect they would make a game like that, but i did hear them mention that in an interview but i don't think it will be possible 

No, they killed her and there is no going back. They did this to start anew. This is a new trilogy and needed to do this to get the attention away from chief and his story and finally about Halo, not chief and cortana. If the bring her back they would ruin the only thing they have going for them.

No, they killed her and there is no going back. They did this to start anew. This is a new trilogy and needed to do this to get the attention away from chief and his story and finally about Halo, not chief and cortana. If the bring her back they would ruin the only thing they have going for them.

Cortana's death is not guarenteed; I happen to believe that she will exist in an evolved state, increasingly powerful and more fluid and with more depth. I would like to see her return in some other form, and grow/develope as this trillogy expands. As the other two below you post said, this is his story, and we are likely to see him go through a darker period of self reflection, judging by the end of Halo 4. Who's the man, and who's the machine? The way Halo 4 ended was not the end for Master Chief. To me, that would suck, because his story is not finished yet. I think they are gearing up to make some new changes to the Spartan with the next gen (though I imagine that hardcore Halo fans don't want the Master Chief's suit to change in any significant way, even though logic should tell us that technology is always evolving, and after years of influence from the Covenant and Forerunners you would imagine that the UNSC would have developed new Spartan suits, new weapons and vehicles, and other technologies, but this is a long aside. Sorry)

CV

Of course! But she kinda died... or rather got a nasty hack problem sooo I think she's gone...

Probably so, but John117 survived a nuclear blast at ground zero. Like I said, IF she was brought back she would not be the same. I am playing on the storyline of Halo 4 that seemed to use foreshadowing to hint that Cortana could be unique in ways unknown. I don't know if 343 has killed Cortana for good. In some ways it might make sense, as he is now set to face life alone, and perhaps a great threat, but seems he needs to answer that question as to who is the machine? All I am saying is there is genuinely a way to bring her back into the storyline. Just read Ender's Game/Speaker for the Dead for inspiration. Remember Jane? She was an anomoly created by the Hive Queen to try and stop Ender from destroying the Buggers, and later took on her own life and became another sentient being in that universe. At a later book the Republic tries to kill her by shutting the Ansible down, the galactic information network which she lived in. But she did not die--she managed to survive and continue to evolver as a being.

That is where I am coming from on this. I am OK either way. After all, it is just a game, but it is fun to ponder these questions and possibilities. I am not fond of people who say "that is impossible," because what seems impossible today will be tomorrows norm.

CV

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly i say she should stay dead yes it will be hard to see her go but I believe they shouldnt alter the lore  with the fact that AIs are only supposed to live as long as she did she was already an exceptional AI since she lasted 8 years

But remember she is also a one of a kind AI. She was made from a real brain, organic tissue she could just evolve, fragment as a form of reproduction and all sorts her uniqueness allows 343 to make any reason for her not to be dead but if she does go it is fair she has had her  time and she deserves to rest