Go home, Magnets, you're drunk.

Has anyone noticed that some of the pieces have really messed up magnets? Like, some of them have a lack of them, some have them in unorthodox places rather than practical ones, and I've noticed that the magnets on either side of the Brace, Large, are not even. The right side is higher than the left side. How am I supposed to use magnets on that? This has been the most notable among other incidences.

Anyone else noticing such problems?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I knew magnets would be a problem from the beginning. In the Halo 4 multiplayer vidoc, when talking about them, they say "HAND PLACED MAGNETS". They didn't find the exact center on the pieces using the mesh of the objects or anything. They tried eyballing it and put the magnets where htey think they should go. Some points get the job done alright (not great, alright), but others are just awful :(

• Like 3

Yeah I don't usually run into a problem but when I do it's a huge pain.  Like the base of my latest map was made of 5x5 walls (I think) and the magnets weren't even so the entire map had bumps.  Ended up doing it with coordinates instead but seriously you would think a feature like this would have been exacted more.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread name sir!  Yeah, the magnets are pretty silly at times.  I've discussed them a little bit in the other thread that I just started, along with a few other issues.  You should go check it out.

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/27296-the-future-of-forge-important-notes-towards-evolution/

Another thing that is annoying is when I try to use the visual elements of a particular piece to line up symmetry in different areas.  There are blocks that look like the textured image is the same on all edges, but they are imperfect, like the magnets, and will screw up a straight line if you try to base them off of each other.  I call for precision textures and magnets for H5!!!

• Like 1

They won't. 343 said they have no planned updates for Forge mechanics at this time and they're going to focus on improving the Halo 5 forge experience. So, no fine editing in Halo 4 :(

Why not improve Halo 4's Forge and then just bring it over to Halo 5? That makes more sense to me, if it's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew magnets would be a problem from the beginning. In the Halo 4 multiplayer vidoc, when talking about them, they say "HAND PLACED MAGNETS". They didn't find the exact center on the pieces using the mesh of the objects or anything. They tried eyballing it and put the magnets where htey think they should go. Some points get the job done alright (not great, alright), but others are just awful :(

One can only hope that the magnets will be fixed based on all the feedback from the forge community. I think they are a great idea, but I agree that they should be placed using precision, not guesstimation techniques. I hope with the next Forge the magnets pull objects a little closer together too, And it might be useful to give forgers the ability to add magnets to objects or modify magnet locations for specific forging elements.

CV :wallbash:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Problems in forge are fare from rare. The biggest upset to me is when I lock pieces in place. At times I run out of steam so I save the map, then continue later. When I return to my map several pieces have moved by themselves! Same problem when I use edit coordinates! Same as reach! Whyyyyyyyy!!!!!????? Help!

One can only hope that the magnets will be fixed based on all the feedback from the forge community. I think they are a great idea, but I agree that they should be placed using precision, not guesstimation techniques. I hope with the next Forge the magnets pull objects a little closer together too, And it might be useful to give forgers the ability to add magnets to objects or modify magnet locations for specific forging elements.

The ability to Forge magnets at the desired location on a forgable object is a truly unique idea and would add a more "precise" editing feature for custom object placement. If this feature would be added, the need for precision editing may not be necessary but would still be a desirable Forge feature. :)

Has anyone had the problem I mentioned above? The part where the pieces move by themselves.

Ya, it happens to everyone. The reason they shift slightly is so the object ID location is different than what it says inside the code, so people can't tamper with the codes and mod things into Forge that aren't supposed to be there (character models, Pelicans, etc) like they could in past Halos. I've found the best way to limit shifting is to use coordinate at some point when placing the piece, and to always lock them.

The bigger pieces are more likely to shift (Large Brace, Colliseum Wall, etc). When that happens, leave rotation snap off, and nudge them by hand to realign the edges, That way, the shift stays and your map plays the way it's supposed to.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I hate magnets, especially now I found out that hey have precise editing coded into the game, don't believe me? do the weapon wielding monitor glitch and then try, you must be in weapon wielding mode though, press the left thumbstick and have fun not being able to pick up objects but have precise editing that is useless for editing 343I, please just add precise editing in the game, you have halo reach halo CEA which is an add on to reach and you have the weapon wielding monitor glitch in Halo 4, just add it in already and the forging community will shut up about it

• 2 weeks later...

I use Magnets ALL the time. Way more convenient then just meticulously fitting pieces together, like in Reach.

The only problem I have is that occasionally the Coliseum Walls on a pre-saved map, will all of a sudden fall out of place. Like they all moved by themselves. Then if I try to put them back in the same place, the Magnet dots won't line up, leaving me to completely delete said Wall, and make a new one.

Plus I have some occasional problems with Magnets not wanting to line up correctly. Even if it shows 2 magnets on 2 walls or something they won't line up.

I think this only happens when Online, but I don't know.

The magnets are an excellent base tool for forging, not a finishing one. Their ability to quickly assemble a map for testing can save you days of meticulously working on a map section that you will just tear down again because it plays bad. So hmmm.. I guess drunk is a pretty good way to describe them.

Why not improve Halo 4's Forge and then just bring it over to Halo 5? That makes more sense to me, if it's possible.

They might have thought of that, if we are lucky. But it really all depends of if they reuse the Halo 4 Engine (which was a improved version of Halo Reachs engine, just like how Halo CE/Halo 2 and Halo 3/Halo 3:ODST all shared the same engine.), or if they build a new one from the ground up, like the transition from Halo 3 to Halo Reach.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this topic in February and now I come back to this forum for like the first time since then and see that it's HOT. I was even more surprised when I saw that the Stig had liked it…

Anyways, instead of Magnets I think it would be better to have a "Snap similar dimensions" tool. 2x2s would snap to the sides of Wall, Doubles, and such. This way You won't have to deal with random pieces sticking together, like decorative pieces or differently sized blocks.