MLG won't be coming back..

Overdriive_on_Xbl

just thought I would post this, probably goes in announcments but can not post there. It appears MLG has signed their end of the 2013 console deal. This deal does not include halo, and a large part of the community is quitting, others are simply looking for other leagues that have halo on their circuit. Halo was a game that started amazing and through its own creators and a company that was built from the ground up to resurrect it it ended up being a lower quality game every year. Our community, has always had better ideas then original creators. Ideas that could of been implemented at any time and ideas that could of helped this game flourish. In the way Reach's removal of bloom in the MLG play list came to late it would appear this last attempt at a TU for a less then perfect game is likewise to little and to late. MLG has been the home for the competitive halo community since day 1 and to not have it there now leaves me with the question of who am i or we to blame? MS for allowing the deal with VG to go through knowing of MLG's existence? Or maybe the community itself for its never ending bickery between mlg and casual members because a few 12 year olds repping mlg icons had big mouths and talked a lot of **** online. Should I blame bungie for Reach? Should I blame them for taking the time to make odst instead of just reading every thread on the forum and making reach better. 343i for not coming through for MS for not hiring people qualified to make the next halo game.

At the end of the day, even if we had someone to blame it feels like their wallets outweigh our opinions. At this point, I am unaware if I plan on keeping my copy of halo. I'm going to, like many others, skulk around for a league with a decent competitive population. Preferably that has tournaments where the players who win, win. Unlike the VG tournament, that simply requires a player to play all day every day for a week straight. That takes no skill.

Last Chance 343i, make this TU good or consider halo 4 dead.

Yes. The quality of games past Halo 3: ODST has been terrible.

I was an MLG player and played properly for a short time but quit due to the fact that it was filled with either people screaming "HACKER!!!" or annoying children. By the way do you even know how hard it is to make even a bad game such as H4 or Reach. It's expensive, time consuming and overall a pain in the behind. Unless you can do it yourself then you are limited on what you can say about it until you understand what gets put in...

According to MLG Sundance on twitter (@MLGSundance), MLG has signed a deal with a shooter already for 2013 and it is NOT Halo.

"MLG signed it's side of the console shooter deal for 2013. The game in the deal was not Halo. Once deal is countersigned we will announce."

To me, and almost every competitive Halo player, this might as well be the announcement of the death of a game with lots of potential that will never be tapped into.

343 has left tons of other clues that MLG won't happen:

1) The Infinity Challenge is signed by Virgin Gaming in which the contract limits Halo to only that company's playlist for as long as it is around.

2) I also noticed that after Christmas the price of new Halo 4 games went down to $40 which is abnormal for the 4th most popular game in the market. To me, that meant that they made their profit between the release and Christmas and plan to just get rid of the copies still in circulation.

3) Also note, that after Christmas we lost all the competitive playlists. This means less servers 343 has to pay for leading to more profit.

Overall, I think 343 has already given up on this game. It made profit and now is their time to stop wasting money on the nonprofitable servers they keep up. That's why the games are always lagging. That's why all the playlists are gone. And that is why MLG will not be signed with.

P.s.

If you're one of those people that detest MLG and hope to post a comment stating how much you do not care, please refrain.. In fact, leave this section of the forum.. It makes no sense for non-MLG fans to exist in the MLG section.

Also, if you have any negative comments about my post, please refrain, as I will not be acknowledging them as comments. I only want to see mature agreeing/disagreeing comments below.

343 Industries and MS has signed on with Virgin to handle the professional gaming side of Halo. MLG has posted a story I will post in this thread later when I have time on the subject. Remember MLG, ie, Major League Gaming is an organization/company whose name became synonymous with the professional competitive side of Halo's gaming aspect. MLG even became the very playlist for the competitive players and featured maps used in the professional series. This may be renamed in the future due to the new arrival Virgin, that is yet to be seen.

• Like 1

It sort of feels like a loved one just died. It is really weird and quiet. Like you sort of had a feeling in your gut that it would happen but you don't want to think so until it is too late. Either way I find this to be very depressing.

R.I.P. Competitive Halo.

On a side note, what shooter got signed on MLG in Halo's place?

• Like 1

I am not sure I particularly care. While the idea behind MLG is outstanding its participants have not been (in my experience). Besides MLG is not the be all end all competitive aspect of Halo. You can find competition anywhere you go in any halo game reguardless of play list or title. Its a matter of perspective plain and simple.

I honestly think people turned MLG into something it didnt ever set out to be nor wanted to be. A name that contains all of "competition" within a Halo game, which frankly is plain wrong to me.

In any case I wont be shedding any tears.

• Like 3

I think it's an absolute shame and I hate to say it but I absolutely told you so to everyone who thought MLG was gonna keep H4. No way, it's WAYYYY too far off the edge of competitive and wayyyyy too noob friendly. I hated it when Reach came out and I absolutely thought I was going to throw up when I played MP.

That derptard move cost them way more $$$$ than they'd ever save. Congrats 343, you truly suck.

BTW, this is the nice version of how I really feel.

• Like 2

I find it odd so many people are resentful of a community they were never even in contact or involved with. Really, what did MLG ever do to you that warrants such a negative response? The fact that people are happy that MLG and Halo are no longer affiliated is evidence of the fact that they don't fully appreciate the hand-in-hand relationship the two have had in building each other up during the legacy of the franchise.

As the poster above said, if you are not a fan of MLG or competitive Halo you really have no business being in this section unless you just get kicks on slipping condescending remarks just to spite fans of the league because you found it annoying they posted a few topics about getting their own playlist.

I understand people that wouldn't want to be involved because they are strictly casual players; that is fine and everything. What I don't understand is people wanting it to fail. It is as if they have zero respect for the people that do appreciate the more competitive side of Halo and the legacy Halo and MLG have built together.

I will admit I didn't really get into the competitive nature of the game until recently, but that doesn't stop me from seeing how much the two have been intertwined over the years and how essential they have been in shaping each other's success. You would have to be blind or just ignorant not to see it. And you don't have to be a pro to get this either. You just have to understand the spirit of competition to appreciate what it meant.

In the end I don't think the blame rests on the community. I believe it falls squarely on 343 Industries and in part Bungie. 343 Industries have held all the card this entire time. They are not a team of idiots. They understood what made Halo a competitive game in the past and they chose to ignore it and appeal to casuals by including Random Ordanance drops, loadouts, and armor abilities, and broken weapons. They knew Bungie had a winning formula and they decided to go against it anyway just for the sake of a quick buck. It was never in 343's developmental team's mind to make a competitive game. They merely sought after a cash cow and they struck oil at the expense of the MLG populace. And Bungie is just as much at fault for letting their brainchild run away from them.

This post isn't meant to attack casual players or anything as this isn't there fault. They just play games for the fun of it. And who can blame them? If you are not playing Halo to be competitive, there are plenty of fun things to do in Halo 4. There is nothing wrong with recreational gameplay.

The real problem lies with 343 and Bungie turning their back on the community responsible for making Halo the franchise more than just a game, but a legitimate sport. Bungie really made history when they created such a competitive skill-based multiplayer game that was actually fun to watch and broadcast on live stream. And the fact that this legacy is essentially coming to an end is saddening to say the least.

Like I said before, no one is to blame for Halo being dropped from MLG except for these multi-million dollar companies for being giant sellouts.

• Like 4

Good riddance. MLG doesn't mean anything anymore. it's a term Little kids use to explain why they think their better at a game than anyone else.

you seem upset because your gameplay is lacking xD

Its fine better to just not play halo 4 and wait for halo 5 maybe then the game will go back to its roots. virgin gaming has left a terrible impression to me there first "tournament" goes to whoever plays the most. Because that is so competitive. just got on halo 4 on 2-3 weeks and pop is down to 40k lol.

I find it odd so many people are resentful of a community they were never even in contact or involved with. Really, what did MLG ever do to you that warrants such a negative response? The fact that people are happy that MLG and Halo are no longer affiliated is evidence of the fact that they don't fully appreciate the hand-in-hand relationship the two have had in building each other up during the legacy of the franchise.

As the poster above said, if you are not a fan of MLG or competitive Halo you really have no business being in this section unless you just get kicks on slipping condescending remarks just to spite fans of the league because you found it annoying they posted a few topics about getting their own playlist.

I understand people that wouldn't want to be involved because they are strictly casual players; that is fine and everything. What I don't understand is people wanting it to fail. It is as if they have zero respect for the people that do appreciate the more competitive side of Halo and the legacy Halo and MLG have built together.

I will admit I didn't really get into the competitive nature of the game until recently, but that doesn't stop me from seeing how much the two have been intertwined over the years and how essential they have been in shaping each other's success. You would have to be blind or just ignorant not to see it. And you don't have to be a pro to get this either. You just have to understand the spirit of competition to appreciate what it meant.

In the end I don't think the blame rests on the community. I believe it falls squarely on 343 Industries and in part Bungie. 343 Industries have held all the card this entire time. They are not a team of idiots. They understood what made Halo a competitive game in the past and they chose to ignore it and appeal to casuals by including Random Ordanance drops, loadouts, and armor abilities, and broken weapons. They knew Bungie had a winning formula and they decided to go against it anyway just for the sake of a quick buck. It was never in 343's developmental team's mind to make a competitive game. They merely sought after a cash cow and they struck oil at the expense of the MLG populace. And Bungie is just as much at fault for letting their brainchild run away from them.

This post isn't meant to attack casual players or anything as this isn't there fault. They just play games for the fun of it. And who can blame them? If you are not playing Halo to be competitive, there are plenty of fun things to do in Halo 4. There is nothing wrong with recreational gameplay.

The real problem lies with 343 and Bungie turning their back on the community responsible for making Halo the franchise more than just a game, but a legitimate sport. Bungie really made history when they created such a competitive skill-based multiplayer game that was actually fun to watch and broadcast on live stream. And the fact that this legacy is essentially coming to an end is saddening to say the least.

Like I said before, no one is to blame for Halo being dropped from MLG except for these multi-million dollar companies for being giant sellouts.

Not a single statement here that I disagree with. Halo really has catered to the recreational player on this one..

Money-wise, it makes since. Why waste money for more servers when all the money from game sales has been made?

But I think it will hurt them in the end.. Losing all competitive Halo players will be a huge downfall.

Also, I see a lot of negative comments from non MLG players..

Why are you here? Is your life so dull that you not only have time to search a forum for places to comment, but you even search in places you know nothing about..

Get a life.. I'm sure you enjoy playing out of leisure, but that's you. Some players are competitive..

I'm sure most of you MLG haters have had moments when you became frustrated with a terrible team you were paired up with OR something lame happening (like captain boltshot noob camping around a corner). Now, all you have to do is imagine that this is how WE feel ALL THE TIME...sometimes when we're paired with players like YOU.

• Like 2

you seem upset because your gameplay is lacking xD

Its fine better to just not play halo 4 and wait for halo 5 maybe then the game will go back to its roots. virgin gaming has left a terrible impression to me there first "tournament" goes to whoever plays the most. Because that is so competitive. just got on halo 4 on 2-3 weeks and pop is down to 40k lol.

See its that kind if crap I dont agree with. MLG seems to have instilled an attitude in players that is very poor. Now granted it doesnt apply to all players, I understand that, however they seem to be vastly out numbered by the players who make comments such as the one above. Sorry for singling you out but it was indeed a prime example of the arrogent attitude MLG has instilled in many players, which is of course what I was talking about in my previous post for this thread.

• Like 3

See its that kind if crap I dont agree with. MLG seems to have instilled an attitude in players that is very poor. Now granted it doesnt apply to all players, I understand that, however they seem to be vastly out numbered by the players who make comments such as the one above. Sorry for singling you out but it was indeed a prime example of the arrogent attitude MLG has instilled in many players, which is of course what I was talking about in my previous post for this thread.

I'm not In no way a "mlg pro or w/e" you shouldn't let some forum kids discourage how you think about people i enjoy there competitive settings they give a much better feel then this current luck based gaming not so many seem to be enjoying. if you played gamebattles you would know how alot of Mlg players play Most of them are very polite even if they destroy you. But your not so to say "competitive mlg player" so you have no reason posting here because the only experience you have are people on a forum telling you they are mlg. No offense or being rude but you always snapped at me for posting my opionons on topics. so <3 here ya go

I was wondering what MLG was going to do with Halo 4. I'm not horribly sad to see Halo severed from MLG but I'm not especially thrilled either. On the one hand I found the MLG fanboys who strangely understood very little of their own favorite thing frustrating, but on the other I really liked the way MLG went over the game with a fine-tooth comb. Basically I liked MLG but hated their fanboys.

I don't think there was much of a future in the 4v4 MLG format though, they need to update and so does Halo. Even if they find something really fun to do I'm not sure how much I'll bother with MLG in the future though, I've never been a spectator. Or at least I thought I'd never be much of a spectator til I found some youtubers I enjoyed watching in BF3, perhaps if MLG somehow makes a battlefield format I like I could be converted.

I'm not In no way a "mlg pro or w/e" you shouldn't let some forum kids discourage how you think about people i enjoy there competitive settings they give a much better feel then this current luck based gaming not so many seem to be enjoying. if you played gamebattles you would know how alot of Mlg players play Most of them are very polite even if they destroy you. But your not so to say "competitive mlg player" so you have no reason posting here because the only experience you have are people on a forum telling you they are mlg. No offense or being rude but you always snapped at me for posting my opionons on topics. so <3 here ya go

I have seen and spoken to many people from various sites and most (but not all) follow the same kind of ideas. If it doesnt conform to one style of play it is unskilled and anybody who says otherwise is dead wrong and a "noob".

As I have stated multiple times, I have no problem with the idea of MLG, I do have a problem with its players and the attitude that develops within those players. I do want a site or program for intense play. It fills a need. At this time however I think its better if MLG takes a back seat due to the reputation many of its fans and participants have given it.

Also, sorry if you think I am snapping at you. I, in general, ask alot of questions to get more insight and I also try really hard to see anothers side of a discussion. Alot of what you have posted however seems less informative and more confrontational (in my view) which might be why you feel I snap at you. Again I am sorry you got that impression. Just a difference of view points.

• Like 2

I have seen and spoken to many people from various sites and most (but not all) follow the same kind of ideas. If it doesnt conform to one style of play it is unskilled and anybody who says otherwise is dead wrong and a "noob".

As I have stated multiple times, I have no problem with the idea of MLG, I do have a problem with its players and the attitude that develops within those players. I do want a site or program for intense play. It fills a need. At this time however I think its better if MLG takes a back seat due to the reputation many of its fans and participants have given it.

Also, sorry if you think I am snapping at you. I, in general, ask alot of questions to get more insight and I also try really hard to see anothers side of a discussion. Alot of what you have posted however seems less informative and more confrontational (in my view) which might be why you feel I snap at you. Again I am sorry you got that impression. Just a difference of view points.

its a forum no problem but i'd like to stick with the topic. most people who say there mlg there not. i do think mlg should take a step back because i don't beleive this game deserves mlg. unless the title update is amazing this game is just to luck based to have a big enough skill gap for mlg.

Good riddance. MLG doesn't mean anything anymore. it's a term Little kids use to explain why they think their better at a game than anyone else.

MLG is a joke anyways lol , they always act so cocky, and god forbid a "casual" player ( because apparently video games are serious business) beats them, they insult you and claim whatever they can to make themselves feel better lol

The people saying that Halo and MLG "Shaped" each other , slow your roll haha, even if the game is losing players, it isn't because of the least played playlist in any Halo game lol

MLG is a joke anyways lol , they always act so cocky, and god forbid a "casual" player ( because apparently video games are serious business) beats them, they insult you and claim whatever they can to make themselves feel better lol

The people saying that Halo and MLG "Shaped" each other , slow your roll haha, even if the game is losing players, it isn't because of the least played playlist in any Halo game lol

This has to be one of the most uneducated posts I have seen in a long time.

• Like 2

This has to be one of the most uneducated posts I have seen in a long time.

Nah, that would be the people claiming that 343 is somehow losing "$$$$$" because MLG dropped Halo. I promise you that the vast majority of people who play the game don't care. I'd be willing to bet a very large portion don't even know that MLG has dropped the series, and won't know for a long time, if ever. The guy you quoted might not have written his post in a very high-minded tone, but I agree with his sentiment that those involved with the MLG community have a tendency to *vastly* overrate its significance. In reality, "competitive" MLG players are a tiny minority and the organization brings very little or no money to the companies making the games they feature; it's not shocking that devs aren't supporting MLG, what's shocking is that anyone could fail to understand why.

Here's a little explanation for those who DO fail to "understand why".

There are pretty much two reasons that MLG was left out of Halo 4. You see, MLG, 343i, and Virgin are all businesses. In this case, 343i and MLG have had some history with each other (at least the Bungie employees who are now with 343i have) and MLG has become nearly synonymous with Halo. Having MLG take up the role for Halo 4 that it did for previous Halo releases would be the "safe" bet. And businesses hate to gamble. So, as I said, there are only two reasons that this would have happened.

1. Negotiations break-down. This could come from either side, or both sides. Either MLG's demands were too stiff and they wouldn't bargain, or 343i's demands were too stiff and they wouldn't bargain. Then Virgin comes in and bargains with 343i, met their demands, and bob's your uncle MLG is left out in the cold for Halo 4. This seems the more likely after the MLG/Reach debacle.

Or...

2. Virgin made an offer that MLG couldn't/wouldn't match. In a nice little fairy tale world, 343i would have still gone with MLG despite this. However, it would be a horrible way to conduct business. If you had an apple and a guy who you knew offered you a dollar for a slice of the apple, and then another guy who you were familiar with but didn't know came and offered you one hundred dollars for a slice of the apple, which should you go for? If you answered the former, I wouldn't suggest you open up a business.

If Virgin is able to give 343i more of a profit than MLG during Halo 4's lifetime, then don't expect MLG to come back in Halo 5. Bungie didn't take much of a chance with MLG back in the day, because MLG didn't really have any competition. Now, however, if MLG can't compete with Virgin, then the days of MLG are coming to a close.

It was a good run.